Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Ok for real whos your team
This poll is closed.
The Green Bay Packers 81 35.53%
The Chicago Bears 52 22.81%
The Minnesota Vikings 42 18.42%
The Detroit Lions 53 23.25%
Total: 228 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Niwrad posted:

Nagy without an elite defense to cover for him is going to be funny.

It’s very depressing rn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN
watching Stafford beat up the Bears

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Rams are a good team, but the Bears D is going to be embarrassing all year.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
People often record trash cans rolling down flooded streets in a storm.

That's interesting.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
so what nfc n team performed worst today?

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

https://twitter.com/PFF/status/1437181383428947971?s=20

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Unquestionably the Packers.

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!
So while I wasn't able to watch the Bears/Rams game, I'm assuming that it went pretty much as expected, with the Bears O-Line unable to keep Dalton safe and the Bears D unable to stop the bleeding.

What I wasn't expecting was Aaron Rodgers becoming a true NFC North quarterback.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Fearless_Decoy posted:

So while I wasn't able to watch the Bears/Rams game, I'm assuming that it went pretty much as expected, with the Bears O-Line unable to keep Dalton safe and the Bears D unable to stop the bleeding.

What I wasn't expecting was Aaron Rodgers becoming a true NFC North quarterback.

Offense was in the game, for the most part, a tipped interception, but the defense was utter loving trash. Offense was by far the better unit, just like they couldn't settle for FG's because the defense was so goddamn trash.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Only one team scored 0 touchdowns

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/BYCTOM/status/1437252690258632709

This person doesn't remember the Mel Tucker years

Dexo fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Sep 13, 2021

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

bears raising an "Owned Slightly Less Than the Packers" banner

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

Week 2 Lineup:

Bengals @ Bears: 1pm
Vikings @ Cardinals: 4pm
Lions @ Packers : MNF

Unfortunately no way the entire division goes 0-2 but for three teams highly possible.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
drat, Lions gonna have sole possession of first

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Dexo posted:

Offense was in the game

3 - 38

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Weird that the lions come out looking not nearly the worst in the division yet still terrible.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I thought the Bears looked fine-ish? :shrug:

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Definitely had some Trestman era defense flashbacks tonight.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Was talking Bears. They were within 6 and then 13 points for a bit, but like the defense just couldn't stop blowing coverages in the third quarter

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Dexo posted:

Was talking Bears. They were within 6 and then 13 points for a bit, but like the defense just couldn't stop blowing coverages in the third quarter

Ah ok. Yea the offense hung in there definitely, and will obviously be better once Fields is in full time. They better hope they can just run it up though cause that defense...

My poo poo on the Packers stands.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I hate that I keep finding myself in the position of being a Nagy apologist, because I don't think there's any real evidence he's a good coach, but he's always like...4th, tops, on my list of Things Wrong With The Bears

Right now I am more concerned about "all around roster badness" than I am suboptimal playcalling

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
The Bears' secondary is a parade of horrors and the OLine is an abomination, but Nagy was honestly pretty solid

Not that much you can really do with your playbook when you have 2 seconds to throw the ball and your running back has to block for himself, seizing on short gains that the defense won't touch is just good strategy

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Jen X posted:

The Bears' secondary is a parade of horrors and the OLine is an abomination, but Nagy was honestly pretty solid

Not that much you can really do with your playbook when you have 2 seconds to throw the ball and your running back has to block for himself, seizing on short gains that the defense won't touch is just good strategy

the head coach is responsible for the offense and defense

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

code:
--------------------------------
-                              -
-        NFC NORTH 2021        -
-         Participant          -
-                              -
--------------------------------

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Nagy's peak is being a Tom Osborne with the cowboys

If you give him a super bowl roster he can win it but he isn't going to elevate anything lesser

I will say the run game looked amazing tonight all things considered

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Sep 13, 2021

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
Bears have good offensive players and they showed that they can work and look good as a unit

That defense was truly something awful

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Dexo posted:

https://twitter.com/BYCTOM/status/1437252690258632709

Wait, that Mel Tucker

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Dexo posted:

Bears literally hired a defensive coordinator who got his start under that Mel Tucker defense.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I can't make fun of Tucker since he has completely rinsed Northwestern every time they've played, he's like a reverse Lovie.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

R.D. Mangles posted:

the head coach is responsible for the offense and defense

I'm pretty sure Ryan "What's a Draft Pick?" Pace is responsible for the Bears starting 75-year-old Jason Peters and whoever the gently caress the cornerbacks are, but fair

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Jen X posted:

I didn't think the O-Line was bad tonight. Peters had one bad botch at left tackle and Donald made some plays in the 2nd half (which is going to happen against anyone), but otherwise it seemed fine.

The offense worked as a Matt Nagy offense is intended. Run on first down and then follow-up with a lot of short passes and checkdowns in the pocket. Toss in a few inept trick plays and it's his system. It's not suited for the modern NFL, but that's not a personnel issue. And while I'd like to see Fields play, they aren't going to let him "cook". They're going to stick to Nagy's system which doesn't really seem to suit any QB that well.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Niwrad posted:

Bears literally hired a defensive coordinator who got his start under that Mel Tucker defense.

I mean he was just like a video coordinator and poo poo back then IIRC, it was Fangio who promoted him.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The lovely thing is this will be a wasted year for Fields. Won't get the practice or game reps he needs and then will have to learn a new system next year after Nagy is fired.

Bears also won't have a first round pick next season to look forward to. Even if they replace Pace, who would want this job? In cap hell with no picks. Basically where Houston was a year or two ago.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Niwrad posted:

The lovely thing is this will be a wasted year for Fields. Won't get the practice or game reps he needs and then will have to learn a new system next year after Nagy is fired.

Bears also won't have a first round pick next season to look forward to. Even if they replace Pace, who would want this job? In cap hell with no picks. Basically where Houston was a year or two ago.

uh, any GM/Coach/OC who thinks Fields is that guy or they can make him that guy.

And the Bears have an absolute poo poo ton of money coming off the books. With the ability to cut more aging players to make more space.

The Bears aren't in thaaaat dire of a position as far as future prospects.

They don't have a first next year.

Next year is probably what Nagy and Pace are trying to make it to, as that's when a majority of their bad roster decisions are off the books/can be cut for cap gain.

IIRC if they just let all their contracts expire they have like 45 million or so in cap space next year lol.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Sep 13, 2021

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Basically anyone will take any top NFL job, especially if they have a promising young QB prospect. There are only 32 GM positions

If you're going to doompost, you should doompost about how there's a 0% chance the Bears hire the right person

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

xbilkis posted:

Basically anyone will take any top NFL job, especially if they have a promising young QB prospect. There are only 32 GM positions

If you're going to doompost, you should doompost about how there's a 0% chance the Bears hire the right person

:hmmyes:

The bears are in an enviable position next year of having a ton of flexibility, cap space to use, and a promising QB on a rookie contract.

Someone could come in and completely rebuild this team and make it their own(outside of like Fields, Kmet, Mack, and Roquan) pretty quickly.

think of all the new bad and disappointing players that could be brought in.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Sep 13, 2021

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/CEmma670/status/1437270307274850307

yess yesss

edit:

And also you aren't likely gonna get another lovely covid year salary cap going down year in the NFL again lol

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Someone voluntarily took the Texans job, I don't think there would be a shortage of quality candidates for an open GM spot with the Bears.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Dexo posted:

And the Bears have an absolute poo poo ton of money coming off the books. With the ability to cut more aging players to make more space.

A lot of that money is coming from the few players who are keeping them respectable. How are you replacing the production of Robinson? How are you replacing Nichols and Hicks? And don't forget that Roquan is due for around $20 million a year. And you still have some bad contracts on the books like Jackson, Quinn, and Foles who have decent sized cap hits if they are cut.

It's a full on rebuild on both sides of the ball minus draft picks. Just don't see how you completely rebuild a defense and offensive line with the cap space available (especially when they have so few draft picks). It seems like a thing that would take years and sort of runs the clock out on the rookie QB contract. But maybe there are GMs who can completely rebuild a team on both sides of the ball in an offseason.

You're right though, the job would be easy to fill. It's a low pressure gig from an organization that doesn't have terribly high expectations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

It also really sucks they didn't replace Nagy and Pace. Besides losing a year of Fields development, you won't be able to get a good read on Mooney, Kmet, and other young players on the offense. Whoever takes over is going to need a year to see what they even have.

Just depressing that they kicked the can for another year.