Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

is the litany against fear an NPI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Bro its endemic. That's it, it's over. No more arguing, lets go to dave and busters.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

demon cracker nation

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
can't wait for the nyquil formula for covid

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

the US stuck its collective dick in the gom jabbar and has decided that this is fine, actually, we love it

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Atrocious Joe posted:

STOP WITH THE FEAR.

JUST STOP IT.

IT IS ABSURD AND COMPLETELY NONSENSICAL.

I MUST NOT FEAR

FEAR IS THE MIND-KILLER

FEAR IS THE LITTLE-DEATH THAT BRINGS TOTAL OBLITERATION.

I WILL FACE MY FEAR.

I WILL PERMIT IT TO PASS OVER ME AND THROUGH ME

WHERE THE FEAR HAS GONE THERE WILL BE NOTHING

I'm really curious what these people think happens when we just "quit living in fear" and return to normal life while ignoring a disease that has killed nearly a million Americans in 16 months.

Lathespin.gif
May 19, 2005
Pillbug
respirator and cartridge data dump, all weights in grams :crabdrugs:

3M 2297, p100 w/ nuisance organic vapor rating. killer for wildfire smoke here in :ca: or catboxes or other stinky things, great for general shop grinding/sanding particulate use, helps a bit with random solvents for parts cleaning etc. but pick something stronger for real paint booth type use, packs small, fits under a welding hood well, not ideal for washdown or rain etc, but Real Nice. costs a couple bucks more than the basic 2091/2097 pink pancake, but breathes easier and still cheap at :10bux: a set. pre-pandemic use this is my favorite all-around filter.

~20g a pair, standard 3m bayonet mount for 6000/7000 series

3M 7093, p100 with hard shell housing, good for washdown/water and the preferred filter for pandemic/medical/bio use, weights a bit more, easy to wipe down for decon, easy neg. pressure checks, less vulnerable to physical hazards like sharp corners/tearing than the 2xxx style pancakes. 7093B is apparently the same thing in (B)ulk packaging.

~73g a pair, standard 3m bayo mount

3M 7093C, p100 with Hydrogen Fluoride, and nuisance level organic vapor/acid gas. slightly taller and heavier than the basic 7093, may be more Cool Zone or random chemical hazards appropriate, filter material looks to have a bit of screen/wire over the paper filter media internally, otherwise basically the same dang thing.

~92g a pair, std. bayo mount

3M 60926, multi gas/vapor cartridge with p100, the goddamn Cadillac of 3M carts. heavy, expensive, and mad overkill for simple bio hazards, but some Good poo poo to have in reserve. the 60923 cart. is usually cheaper and nearly as good if it's what you can find/afford, but has less broad-spectrum protection for vapors/gases from solvents/fumes/expired tear gas/dangerous poo poo/etc.

for both of these once you take them out of the pack, the charcoal/catalysts start chooching off whatever exposure they can find in the air, so keep 'em sealed in a ziploc when not in use.

~300g a pair, maybe ~290 minus packaging but these fuckers stay sealed unless needed so IDK. they are dang heavy tho. standard bayo mount.

3M D3091, p100 for Secure Click masks. the new hotness, cute pink, pretty light, easy breathing. no protection from vapors/gases, but a solid everyday p100. they feel pretty resistant to tearing/physical damage, but I haven't tried to gently caress one up on purpose. good stuff for particulates/smoke or everyday bio-hazardous coworkers, etc.

~30g a pair, secureclickTM mount for HF-800 series masks

3M 80923, OV/AG/p100 for SecureClick, not as good as the 80926 but cheaper and still solid. plastic cart may be better in the rain than the plain p100 carts, but I haven't tried yet.

~250g a pair

3M 80926, multi gas/vapor/p100 for SecureClick. top-tier protection for all airborne threats, but likely mad overkill most days and heavy to boot.

~290g a pair

okay that's all well and good to have nice filters, but you need the dang respirator to strap them to yr face! here we go.

3M 6000 series, basic hardware store/shop model, works fine, a 6200 lives at work in a top toolbox, probably not as comfy on yr face as upgraded models but still solid esp. if it's free. front vent. does allow use of stock 3M item #604 for a source control/exhale filter, if that's yr bag (and you can find one). also probably fits those sweet etsy skelly-bones add-ons, for sickos :sickos:

comes in 6100(small), 6200 (med) 6300(large)

~???g, it's at work and it's the weekend, but I'll maybe try and remember to bring my scale in later.

3M 6501QL, size Small 6500 series, quick latch. a really nice mask, the QL version is great for letting the respirator dangle from it's straps while talking to a co-worker in the before-times, or having a quick water break, etc. nice stuff, uses the bayo mount carts, you probably want the 6502 for size Medium, unless you know otherwise. also comes in 6503/Large for big schnozzes like my dad. my 6502QL has been my go-to work hazard/wildfire smoke/car bailout respirator for years now and is still solid. bottom vent, glasses/goggles never fog and fit on the nose okay-ish mostly

110g for the size small, the med is obv. a bit more but ???

3M 7502, size med 7500 series. a slight comfort upgrade from the 6500, but no quick latch for coffee breaks, not that it matters as much now. fits bayos, bottom vent, etc.

134g.

3M 6800 (medium) full face. it's like a dang glove, for your whole face. neat, sweaty, heavy. no speaking diaphragm, that's even heavier and more $$. bottom vent.

409g.

3M HF-802, secure click medium. a bit bulkier, heavier, and my stash of old 3m filters don't fit, goddang it! however it is pretty comfy, my nose does breathe better, neg. pressure checks are sweet and the speech diaphragm seems pretty decent. you should probably just skip to getting this, if you want something better at hand than a 3m aura n95/kf94/kn95.

190g.

honorable mention: the GVS Elipse/Miller LPR-100, a compact p100 mask that packs away great. ~44g filters, ~140g loaded respirator, ~250g packed with case and spare filters. it's not as comfortable for me as the 3m's, but man is it nice for a fire/etc bailout kit.

also: safety glasses! if you are so inclined, or also happen to work with machine tools, and/or if you don't wanna go full goggle, you can get 'em with foam face seals now, that while not gas-tight are quite likely better for a sneeze and def. better for random bouncing chips/grinding crud/crawling around under a car. I like the 3m Virtua and Solus ones, although the solus lenses only really fit my face with the goggle strap, not the standard arms. anti-fog wet wipes are kinda-sorta required but I usually only need a couple a week, if I'm working with well sealing masks/respirators.

in conclusion :bagl:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

handing over public perception of a pandemic to guys with bad facial hair who keep yelling "are you a pussy???" was a real bad idea.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I'm really curious what these people think happens when we just "quit living in fear" and return to normal life while ignoring a disease that has killed nearly a million Americans in 16 months.

I herd we got immunity

Feste
Apr 7, 2009

Atrocious Joe posted:

STOP WITH THE FEAR.

JUST STOP IT.

IT IS ABSURD AND COMPLETELY NONSENSICAL.

I MUST NOT FEAR

FEAR IS THE MIND-KILLER

FEAR IS THE LITTLE-DEATH THAT BRINGS TOTAL OBLITERATION.

I WILL FACE MY FEAR.

I WILL PERMIT IT TO PASS OVER ME AND THROUGH ME

WHERE THE FEAR HAS GONE THERE WILL BE NOTHING

ONLY BRUNCH WILL REMAIN

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer
covid is overlord

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

I think a non-zero of them literally believe the virus is like...sentient? Like it's so bad because it 'senses weakness' like a loving wolf or something so the only way to beat it is to make yourself big and loud. I know for most of them it's just generic 'I JUST WANT TO GET BACK TO NORMAL' poo poo and them assuming nobody they care about will die but I really do think there's a not insignificant amount of these people who believe the virus is an actual sentient 'enemy' they must overcome.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I'm declaring HIV endemic and never wearing another condom.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

nothing because bad things only happen to other people (and it's their fault, too)

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Shifty Nipples posted:

Yeah sorry I posted that before reading further that you know what you're doing wrt weed.

NP.

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

I feel for you and want to offer some advice. Get a pulse oximeter and a home blood pressure monitor. They aren't expensive and are easy to use. With heart rate, O2 level, and blood pressure, even a layperson can tell if a serious problem is occurring.
This isn't to help you decide whether or not to go to an ER necessarily just that having more control helps, especially if you test every once in a while and write it down.

In my case a food allergy was causing a blood pressure spike, and feeling like you're gonna stroke out just makes it worse.

Borrowed my dad's BP monitor to measure morning and evening for five days per doctor's instructions, it's consistently higher than the recommended so far, systolic in the 140s, sometimes a bit less, diastolic in the mid-90s, resting heart rate in the 85-95 range. My O2 sat was 100 on the ambulance readout, though. Oximeter would probably be a good idea anyway if anyone in my family catches COVID.

Allergies could explain the food reaction. I've never encountered any, but it's worth asking about at least.

Peter Daou Zen
Apr 6, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
we’re here , we fear, get used to it

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Feste posted:

ONLY BRUNCH WILL REMAIN

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

WATCH:
Imperial military walk-outs occurred after the Padishah emperor mandates stillsuits for imperial bureaucrats and military on Arrakis

Elite Sardaukar have walked out:

"With the Sardaukar off the battlefield, you can kiss Arrakis goodbye. I would hate to be Harkonnen right now"

Shitpostradomus
Sep 19, 2020

by sebmojo

Chard posted:

the US stuck its collective dick in the gom jabbar and has decided that this is fine, actually, we love it

your av always messes with me since my eyes do that post popper; and normally looking out the corners without contacts in.
also, superb av.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I was in a bike crash and injured my ribs, could breath in about half way. Luckily this thread got me to buy an oximeter and I called the nurse line and they told me I was fine after hearing my o2 was at 99%. I still got chest xrays but at my GP instead of the ER. Saved me a lot of money and maybe getting covid at the ER back in the winter peak.

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

tuyop posted:

I got an extremely high quality wireless one. haven’t charged it since June and it hasn’t needed it!

it has a wide head for my head and narrow head for moustache ends.

hell yeah got this one last year when my Wahl clippers from 2000ish died

Elea
Oct 10, 2012

quote:

Got a call today from Qdad who proceeded to tell me that I am no longer of pure blood because they injected me with nanites when I “got the jab”

Also told me that when him and my mother are taken into the concentration camps my sister and I can have the house since we both are vaccinated. In the past he told me I was going to be the one in the concentration camp because I got vaccinated. Not sure what caused it to flip to where he’s going to be taken now. It’s just super frustrating having to deal with the insanity.

quote:

My mom isn't Q per say, but does buy into the "biden cheated" and "trump is good!" nonsense. My dad has been Q for some time now and used to send my mom 3-4 Q videos a day, despite them being divorced. As far as I know, he sends less of them now because he's a little scared of my mom. He lost his business due to lack of customers during the pandemic, and had been driving Uber/Lyft in order to make ends meet.

Well, he got fired from Uber for being racist (surprise!), banned from Starbucks for not wearing a mask and starting an argument with someone else, banned from several restaurants as well for mask-related issues, and started wearing a mask ONLY when driving Lyft customers around "because he had to". Yeah, duh, but common sense doesn't really fly with him. Eventually, he did end up accepting that he had to get the vaccination if he wanted to continue working and not be barred from any job that would prevent him from becoming homeless. He also used to take care of my extremely ill uncle, who believes anything people tell him (he was on the spectrum but never diagnosed because my dad's side "doesn't believe in that") and caught any and all respiratory illnesses due to his fragile health, but he passed away, from covid he likely caught at church or through my dad, who claims he never had it or never got tested for it.

I should mention here that my dad never shown signs of hypochondria before this, so the following behavior is really odd, even for him. He got his first shot and went home, then made my mom call 911 for him several hours later because he thought he was literally having a heart attack due to the vaccine. The paramedics had to kick his door down because he refused to get up and unlock it for them, and turns out he was completely fine, just a little sweaty. The next night he was convinced he had a blood clot, so once again, he called 911 and the paramedics had to kick his door down to take him away. Once again, he was completely fine, no side effects, nothing. He didn't believe the doctors though, and the next night HE DID IT AGAIN, made the paramedics kick down his door, and insisted that he was having a vaccine-related problem and had to go to the ER again. Surprise, he's absolutely fine! Just a sore arm!

He didn't go back for his second shot, but has been trying to get my mom to tell him where I live so he can warn me about the shot... little does he know, I've been vaccinated for months at this point with no issues.

quote:

I've posted about my Uncle before. He was running into financial issues because he was donating all his money to those "Stop The Steal" charlatans.

His kids finally got him to stop, but he and his girlfriend have spiraled further and further down into the Q bullshit. I have mostly cut off contact with him but his kids vent to me about him.

Anyhow recently he and his girlfriend, both unvaccinated and anti mask, came down with Covid. They are 60 so it could have been pretty serious. Luckily she had a very mild case and my Uncle had to go into the hospital but was released after a week. They seem to have recovered although neither can taste anything yet.

His son informs me that his Dad is convinced someone poisoned them. Apparently his delusion is that Covid is fake and people who do get sick are being poisoned by the Deep State.

Why the Deep State would try and take out a retired welder and a dog groomer is beyond me, but apparently they are high level targets. Good thing the merciless, super powerful Deep State failed to kill two fat, 60 year old smokers! What a formidable set of foes!

The best (worst?) part is that my Uncle is convinced a door dash driver poisoned their food. You know those powerful government assassins...who also work part time delivering milk shakes and nuggets.

This just kills me because growing up he was my favorite uncle. He was always funny, fun to hang out with and would give you the shirt from his back or his last dollar.

Right after my son was born I was laid off from my job. We were going through a rough time financially but were too proud to ask for help. That Christmas he handed me an envelope with 2500 dollars in it. I tried giving it back and he refused, said it was to make sure we had everything we needed for our son. That money got us through a really rough patch until I could find a new job.

I think of that kind man, who I adored as a child and admired as a man, and I can't understand how the paranoid, hate filled guy I see now can be the same person. Q, Fox News and Trump transformed him into something I don't recognize.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Lathespin.gif posted:

also: safety glasses! if you are so inclined, or also happen to work with machine tools, and/or if you don't wanna go full goggle, you can get 'em with foam face seals now, that while not gas-tight are quite likely better for a sneeze and def. better for random bouncing chips/grinding crud/crawling around under a car. I like the 3m Virtua and Solus ones, although the solus lenses only really fit my face with the goggle strap, not the standard arms. anti-fog wet wipes are kinda-sorta required but I usually only need a couple a week, if I'm working with well sealing masks/respirators.

these look dope

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Atrocious Joe posted:

India outlaws cheeseburgers.

Indians die of COVID in huge numbers.

Biden outlaws cheeseburgers.

Americans die of COVID in huge numbers.

Oh poo poo, I figured it out

i wouldn't think there'd be a super big market for beef in india anyway

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

open jacinda

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

our society is dying lol

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

it's going to be extremely funny when the CPC decides Chinese obesity is a problem and sets on a successful 5 year plan to fix it

https://youtu.be/MnakWocA3sc

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

conservatism is a hell of a drug

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

I have some the 3m glasses, but I have a really hard time getting them to pair well with the 6000 series masks. I just can't seem to get them in a spot where the glasses are "sealed"

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
Stop the fear! 500 dead kids and rising is OK and acceptable as long as I can get out and get a coffee or go to Applebee’s

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Pyrus Malus posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/iamjasonbailey/status/1437193646877593609

this doesn't get really crack-ping good til you click through but most of you should know what to expect

I love how people just don't get that it is extremely loving not normal for anyone under the age of 60 to "catch a cold" and have even a vanishingly small chance of ending up in the hospital. Catching COVID at almost any age puts you at greater risk of hospitalization than anything else you're doing with your life unless you're doing some really goddamn stupid poo poo.

Walking around into crowded places with an active COVID case actually gives you a really, really good loving chance of putting someone else in the hospital, too.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Dunno if this is accurate but if so lmao

https://twitter.com/ericisaac/status/1437252573736673287?s=20

lmao no matter what tho because everything fuckin suuuuucks

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Like I'm losing my goddamn mind. My heavily vaxxed city's school district is in shambles because they're trying to just power through and you can't power through a disease that's wildly infectious and has a good chance of knocking you on your rear end for a week even with a relatively mild case. America is so hilariously unequipped for dealing with any illness where coming into work/school sick will literally destroy everything.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Paradoxish posted:

Like I'm losing my goddamn mind. My heavily vaxxed city's school district is in shambles because they're trying to just power through and you can't power through a disease that's wildly infectious and has a good chance of knocking you on your rear end for a week even with a relatively mild case. America is so hilariously unequipped for dealing with any illness where coming into work/school sick will literally destroy everything.

Denial will get us through. We're good at that

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Paradoxish posted:

not true, we're very well equipped with a money printer that lets us ignore that and make the stock market still go up.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah, this is the part of the open biden "the deaths are fine" plan that really sinks everything. Even mild cases can take you out completely for 4 days to a week and they show up in big clusters because people try to power through and fail.

No one has figured out how to deal with paid sick leave or critical worker shortages caused by cluster outbreaks.

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Covid!...Wins!
Perfect!

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Saw a movie film tonight, had an n95 on the whole time but there were only like 6 other people in the theatre anyway.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Chard posted:

I think it's the other way around. we stuck the gom jabbar in our collective dick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

El Mero Mero posted:

Yeah, I like how the open biden "the deaths are fine" plan hasn't figured out how to deal with paid sick leave or critical worker shortages caused by cluster outbreaks.

It honestly feels more like I'm living in an apocalypse movie right now than it has at any point in the past year and a half. People want to get cops to drive school buses (those people are idiots and don't realize you need a CDL to operate one) because a bunch of school bus drivers keep getting sick and then just quitting rather than going back into the plague mines. There are students getting home 3+ hours late and kids getting dropped off in the middle of nowhere. Oh, and constant teacher shortages even with nearly non-existent quarantine rules because it turns out rolling the dice in a large district means you're going to get quite a few breakthrough cases severe enough to physically stop people from coming into work.

It's loving insane.