Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I don't remember that episode of sea quest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Tighclops posted:

I don't remember that episode of sea quest

But do you remember that one episode of Sealab 2021?

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I like Alexander. He is the man

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Epicurius posted:

Well, almost, except that they're all a bunch of telepaths who can't successfully join Starfleet because they can't deal with hierarchy, superhuman intelligences or the unknown.

This is why I don't take seriously anyone who talks about 'Gene's vision'. You want pure Roddenberry, unfiltered and unconstrained? You get the TMP novel, which doesn't resemble any version of Star Trek that's ever been on screen. Nobody would want or recognize a Star Trek show that used that as its inspiration.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Typically the Star Trek we enjoy is “Gene’s Vision” filtered through Michael Piller, or a direct reaction to that.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

HD DAD posted:

Typically the Star Trek we enjoy is “Gene’s Vision” filtered through Michael Piller, or a direct reaction to that.

Yeah, "Gene's Vision™" is TOS, the cartoon, The Motion Picture and the first five seasons of TNG but you have to consider Disaster the series finale of the show.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I really wish this franchise would lionize the Gene who actually deserves it; Gene Coon.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Whoever's initially responsible for Star Trek's philosophical underpinning doesn't really matter if that aspect has been whittled away by everyone that followed

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
So I have been off and on rewatching TNG for the first time since I was a kid over the past like year or so, and I kinda stalled out after season 2 was fun but all over the place qualitywise

I just got through season 3's The Defector, The Hunted, The high Ground, Deja Q, and now am watching Yesterday's Enterprise, poo poo's been rad as gently caress

edit: like seriously, this string of fantastic episodes has been rad as gently caress

I skipped one about Riker's wandering dick, but otherwise, this has been awesome

rotinaj fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Sep 13, 2021

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The middle seasons of TNG are legit af, they were consistently killing it almost on a weekly basis with very few missteps.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

1 episode into voyager and theres a lot of red flags

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

punishedkissinger posted:

1 episode into voyager and theres a lot of red flags

Experience bij.

Once you get to season four Voyager gets... not bad.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

There is a season and a half of absolutely fantastic Voyager episodes.

They're just spread across 7 seasons of mostly ok to boring television.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
i doesn;t help that on average there is going to be 1.5 likable characters on screen per episode, and the fact is that who that is changes, but most consistently is the doctor.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

8one6 posted:

There is a season and a half of absolutely fantastic Voyager episodes.

They're just spread across 7 seasons of mostly ok to boring television.

Caretaker I&II (not good, but it's the pilot so just nut up and watch it)
Heroes and Demons
Non Sequitur
Death Wish
The Thaw
Tuvix
Basics I&II
Future's End I&II
Distant Origin
Scorpion I&II
The Raven
Year of Hell I&II
Message In A Bottle
The Killing Game I&II
Living Witness
Hope And Fear
Drone
Timeless
Latent Image
Bride of Chaotica!
Dark Frontier I&II
Course: Oblivion
Someone To Watch Over Me
Relativity
Equinox I&II
Tinker, Tenor, Doctor, Spy
Pathfinder
Blink of an Eye
Tsunkatse
Live Fast and Prosper
Muse
Life Line
Imperfection
Critical Care
Flesh and Blood I&II
Workforce I&II
Author, Author
Endgame (again it's the last episode, shut up and end it already)

Comedy inclusion: Threshold.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Night is a high point as well. I really liked 11:59 when I saw it back during the original run but it’s probably gone extremely sour over time.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Workforce sucks, why are you putting it there

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Axe-man posted:

i doesn;t help that on average there is going to be 1.5 likable characters on screen per episode, and the fact is that who that is changes, but most consistently is the doctor.
I'm playing Star Trek Elite Force 1 and 2, and the original characters they came up with for the game somehow manage to be more likable than the main cast of Voyager.

It also doesn't help that there is a lot of episodes that just recycle the plot of TNG episodes.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

In Seasons 1-3, there are an embarrassing number of TNG retreads, yeah

Then again, I just watched one in Season 4 that reminds me a lot of The Outcast

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

FlamingLiberal posted:

Workforce being a two-parter is one of the most mind-boggling decisions in all of Trek.

The writers must have just really stopped giving a poo poo at that point because I can't think of any other reason you'd stretch an incredibly dull 15 minute plot out over two whole episodes.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

Arivia posted:

Night is a high point as well. I really liked 11:59 when I saw it back during the original run but it’s probably gone extremely sour over time.

Night is good, 11:59 is an episode that you will either despise with every cell in your body, or you'll enjoy as a quiet, no-stakes episode. I think it's a little dull, but otherwise not terribly offensive.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

curiousTerminal posted:

Night is good, 11:59 is an episode that you will either despise with every cell in your body, or you'll enjoy as a quiet, no-stakes episode. I think it's a little dull, but otherwise not terribly offensive.

The low stakes pastoral romantic drama is fun, but I think the end of history/celebrating the big anniversary and humanity’s inevitable benevolent turn to the stars elements ring really, really hollow right now. I feel it being painfully naive.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

Lingering good memories of the only time they actually use the ECH? I dunno. It’s been a while since I’ve watched the whole thing.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
I def think the episode One should be on that list.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Really need 'Body and Soul' on the list as well; Jeri Ryan has a ball playing the Doctor, Picardo does an amazing "welp, I've been busted" face, and it makes it canonical that Harry stinks.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Infinite Regress and Body and Soul need to both be on the list because goddrat can Jeri Ryan act when they let her.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
If we're talking Jeri Ryan being hella fun, then The Voyager Conspiracy is a fun episode

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

nine-gear crow posted:

Lingering good memories of the only time they actually use the ECH? I dunno. It’s been a while since I’ve watched the whole thing.

No I'm with you, I liked Workforce. Some cute romances and the ECH stuff was fun. It shares its biggest problem with Nemesis: the high concept doesn't make sense. How on earth does kidnapping people from space and brainwashing them yield an atttactive return on investment? Maybe because Starfleet is highly trained in their respective field?

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

V-Men posted:

I def think the episode One should be on that list.

Payndz posted:

Really need 'Body and Soul' on the list as well; Jeri Ryan has a ball playing the Doctor, Picardo does an amazing "welp, I've been busted" face, and it makes it canonical that Harry stinks.

8one6 posted:

Infinite Regress and Body and Soul need to both be on the list because goddrat can Jeri Ryan act when they let her.

V-Men posted:

If we're talking Jeri Ryan being hella fun, then The Voyager Conspiracy is a fun episode

All Seven of Nine focused episodes are generally good, up until season 7's bizarre Chakotay romance subplot and season 4's Retrospect, which is best summarized as "seven wasn't actually raped, she just made that story up! we really need to be careful about all these false accusations, someone's reputation could be hurt!"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

curiousTerminal posted:

All Seven of Nine focused episodes are generally good, up until season 7's bizarre Chakotay romance subplot and season 4's Retrospect, which is best summarized as "seven wasn't actually raped, she just made that story up! we really need to be careful about all these false accusations, someone's reputation could be hurt!"
Yes and the Doctor tried to get Janeway to reset him to factory settings because a scummy arms dealer got killed

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I've always liked the episode "Bliss". It's one of the better, non-bland Voyager episodes.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Voyager is mostly inoffensive and boring at worst, and even the bad stuff can loop around to being extremely entertaining. I can only think of two episodes that actively made me angry with how tone deaf and bizarrely hostile they were, which were Retrospect and Repentance.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

There are a lot of just plain dull episodes

Especially in the first three seasons

Season 1 especially, where there are a lot of episodes that only take place on the ship and there is some kind of space anomaly

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

voyager is mostly infuriating because they routinely discover solutions to their problems but then fail to ever act on them because that would take either a level of thought that the writers werent able to put in, or the even worse offenders where the writers COULD think of those outs and have the characters themselves just shrug and go nah, well drive back but thanks. one of the many offensive aspects of threshold to me is the fact that they confirm the whole stupid warp 10 thing works the way its supposed to and can take them to any point in the universe instantly, but oops we evolve into salamanders. so, why not make the ship go warp 10 back to earth and have the doctor cure the crew, since they also somehow know how to...cure evolution? or explain the situation to the federation ships that will likely receive them (since theyre blipping into core federation space instantly with no warning, of course their poo poo will light up) and get the emh to help the humans to make the cure, or whatever. or just go warp 9.9!!!! but nah, episode ends with a fart noise and some abandoned babies in a bog. this is season TWO. the writers still vaguely had ideas at that point, and this was the caliber of show being put on. voyager is miserable and i take enterprise over it any day of the week. id rather watch a night in sickbay 10 times than retrospect once.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Paper Lion posted:

voyager is mostly infuriating because they routinely discover solutions to their problems but then fail to ever act on them because that would take either a level of thought that the writers werent able to put in, or the even worse offenders where the writers COULD think of those outs and have the characters themselves just shrug and go nah, well drive back but thanks. one of the many offensive aspects of threshold to me is the fact that they confirm the whole stupid warp 10 thing works the way its supposed to and can take them to any point in the universe instantly, but oops we evolve into salamanders. so, why not make the ship go warp 10 back to earth and have the doctor cure the crew, since they also somehow know how to...cure evolution? or explain the situation to the federation ships that will likely receive them (since theyre blipping into core federation space instantly with no warning, of course their poo poo will light up) and get the emh to help the humans to make the cure, or whatever. or just go warp 9.9!!!! but nah, episode ends with a fart noise and some abandoned babies in a bog. this is season TWO. the writers still vaguely had ideas at that point, and this was the caliber of show being put on. voyager is miserable and i take enterprise over it any day of the week. id rather watch a night in sickbay 10 times than retrospect once.

They could have at least used it for unmanned communications and supply drops.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Paper Lion posted:

I think one of the main problems with Warp 10 was that they had no way to control where they'd pop out. But they had that slipstream drive that worked for the most part but abandoned it because it didn't get them back in one trip.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Nitrousoxide posted:

But all the supplies would evolve into lizards! First supply drop Voyager would be immediately over run with 1000's of lizards!!!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I still maintain this would have been the best Voyager strategy.

Slingshot around a sun to put them back in time 80 or so years so the arrival time puts them close to when they left.

Divide the crew up into 12 shifts, 11 go into stasis to save resources and to slow aging and you rotate out a shift once a month.

Make a beeline for home, only doing the bare minimum of stops.

Boom, you get home about when you left and you only aged 7 years.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Nitrousoxide posted:

Just store everyone in the transporter buffer, Scotty Style, and then rematerialize when they are at Earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

sometimes voyager is very unintentionally hilarious though. my favourite episode is the one where tuvok has pon farr so paris makes a hologram of his wife to go beat off to, but then janeway turns off the holodeck when hes about to bust