Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Ok for real whos your team
This poll is closed.
The Green Bay Packers 81 35.53%
The Chicago Bears 52 22.81%
The Minnesota Vikings 42 18.42%
The Detroit Lions 53 23.25%
Total: 228 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

The Bears game kicked off at 1.20am my time so I haven't watched it yet, should I check out the 40min replay or will it make me mad and sad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Party Boat posted:

The Bears game kicked off at 1.20am my time so I haven't watched it yet, should I check out the 40min replay or will it make me mad and sad

I.....do not recommend watching this Bears game.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

As a bonus the guy I'm playing in fantasy this week is a huge Rams fan and basically drafted the full 53 man roster so I went to sleep comfortably winning and woke up staring down a loss. Yeah I might skip it.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

I'm the Nagy apologist in this group and this game honestly didn't change my mind, minus that first drive. The offensive line looked better. I don't think the front seven of the Bears defense looked that bad.

The Bears were in a position to make a move for most of the game. They just aren't as good a team as the Rams and nobody really thought this team was going to be among the NFC leaders, which the Rams certainly are. They are a Super Bowl favorite of many, myself included.

All I was looking for from this game was that they not get outclassed and embarrassed. I didnt feel like they were clowned, just that they weren't quite good enough to compete.

There are positive signs that we will get better. Montgomery looked good and Nagy didn't immediately abandon the running after the Rams scored for the first time. When &e wasnt getting killed, he was getting the ball to his guys. He was just facing one of the better defensive fronts in football.

I reserve the right to change my mind on all of this if the Bears can't beat the Bengals next week. If they lose to an obviously worse team, then clearly, there is a lot more to worry about.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Rodgers threw his first redzone INT since Week 6 of 2019.

His 36.8 passer rating is the worst since Week 15 of 2014.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Can he play cornerback?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

He is in his 4th year and has consistently had a bad offense each season. Has not developed any young talent on that side of the ball. I guess I don't see what he is bringing to the table.

As for the game, they got blown out and were never a threat. But I guess if the expectations for him are to not get thoroughly embarrassed, he did his job. Just seems like the lowest possible bar for an NFL head coach.

Beethovens Fist Symphony
Oct 21, 2008
Oven Wrangler
After week 1 the playoff picture finally seems to be crystalizing, with your Minnesota Vikings sitting pretty atop the division and nobody else even sniffing a wildcard spot

it's okay to be jealous :smuggo:

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

We're the bad division this year, aren't we?

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN
Bears need to trade Dalton and Foles for upgrades in the secondary, sign Bortles, and win the division.

Shmtur
Jul 23, 2005

Is it too soon for Packer fans to start the annual call to fire their DC?

If not, let's get this train rolling!

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Party Boat posted:

There's a really good looking Bears drive (and Dalton scramble) near the end of the first half. Watch that and pretend the rest of the game was just as good and gritty, no need to actually verify those beliefs

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I just watched the highlights while I had lunch. I realise you only really see the big plays on highlights packages but man the Bears secondary looked clueless out there. At least Fields got a TD!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The bears secondary was so bad last night. Not just in the lovely coverage but just poor tackling. When coverage is blown under a new DC G1 it's aggravating but it happens, when your team can't do fundamentals like tackling you start to panic.
The bears are, surprisingly, not who we thought they were: This year it's going to be a medium offence carrying a lovely defense and not the other way around.
Trade Mack while you still can. Fire Pace and Nagy before they cause any more harm.
Void the McCaskey's contract for all the suffering they are causing and nationalize the Chicago Football Bears.

The only thing this team did right was bring back Henry Burris who was loving robbed during his time here in 2002.

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Sep 13, 2021

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I read jimmy graham was only in on 15 plays. Good choice to sign him over Fuller

Andy Dalton looked like the best QB in bears history yesterday considering the circumstances. At least he didn't have 3 turnovers in 3 plays like Burris against Tampa bay in Champaign

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Niwrad posted:

He is in his 4th year and has consistently had a bad offense each season. Has not developed any young talent on that side of the ball. I guess I don't see what he is bringing to the table.

I thought the offense looked miles better in that game than it has in years past because, I can't stress this enough, he actually has QBs that can literally, actually, complete a pass.

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
very happy for the vikings, winner of week one's Least Embarrassing Loss for an NFC North team*

*special commendation as well to the lions

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

The bears secondary was so bad last night. Not just in the lovely coverage but just poor tackling. When coverage is blown under a new DC G1 it's aggravating but it happens, when your team can't do fundamentals like tackling you start to panic.
The bears are, surprisingly, not who we thought they were: This year it's going to be a medium offence carrying a lovely defense and not the other way around.
Trade Mack while you still can. Fire Pace and Nagy before they cause any more harm.
Void the McCaskey's contract for all the suffering they are causing and nationalize the Chicago Football Bears.

The only thing this team did right was bring back Henry Burris who was loving robbed during his time here in 2002.

Carmen DeFalco, dat u?

They look utterly abysmal in the secondary but Good God it's week 1.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1437416908987502594

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Jesus.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Fs in the chat for Okudah

oh, uh, jinx?

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
He was coming off a strong camp? Like a KOA Camp? Cause I heard nothing good about him this off season.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
The packer’s 2021 current direction and the path to the super bowl seem to be …. Divergent.

Meanwhile, the Vikings looked great apart from all the penalties and our cornerbacks and our O line.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Football man, the guy with the football plan

HootTheOwl posted:

Yeah this clip of BoJack is aging like milk

https://twitter.com/PodGuyFuges/status/1437213456114102276

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Yesterday was the most exciting lions game I’ve watched in a long time and even if we suck again, at least it’ll be fun

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
I didn’t watch all of the Bears game but I was impressed with the offense the times I had it on. Compared to last year where any time I watched them and they could not move the ball for a single first down 90% of the time it seemed, it was a nice change.

Secondary looked awful and I don’t know if this is any consolation, but two years ago the Chiefs secondary and defense looked absolutely abysmal the first half of the season as they all were learning a new system under a new DC - eventually it all clicked. I remember watching a lot of games with tons of missed tackles and blown coverages, we just had a super offense to bail it out. Maybe that defensive click could happen for the Bears? Fingers crossed.

Despite not being a huge Bears fan due to my parents watching them every Sunday since I was born and them sucking nearly all 34 years of my life, I still hope they succeed every year.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

😬

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
drat the injury pretty much slides him into bust land.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
In good news from the Packers game Rashan Gary is good

https://twitter.com/zachkruse2/status/1437441639954399233?s=19

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Hot Diggity! posted:

In good news from the Packers game Rashan Gary is good

This feels like it's the first time that the Packers have spent a high draft pick on a raw-but-insane-potential pass rusher and it actually worked out. Pretty much every other time it ends up being, yeah, he's raw for a loving reason. I was super skeptical of the pick at the time but I'm really glad he's actually developing and progressing.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

This feels like it's the first time that the Packers have spent a high draft pick on a raw-but-insane-potential pass rusher and it actually worked out. Pretty much every other time it ends up being, yeah, he's raw for a loving reason. I was super skeptical of the pick at the time but I'm really glad he's actually developing and progressing.

On the 4th down TD where Amos just kind of...inexplicably didn't jump to try to defend the pass...Gary was so so close to a sack. I thought he was going to bring Winston down for sure but then he just kind of hucked it up and with how the afternoon was going the outcome isn't too surprising. Considering how good he was at the end of last season I'm really hoping that him and Savage can make a bit of a jump.

Also I'm hoping Savage's injury isn't too severe because that could really gently caress the secondary.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

Danny LaFever posted:

drat the injury pretty much slides him into bust land.

I'd trade him for Jeff Gladney

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Niwrad posted:

As for the game, they got blown out and were never a threat. But I guess if the expectations for him are to not get thoroughly embarrassed, he did his job. Just seems like the lowest possible bar for an NFL head coach.

I always thought "blowout" meant one team didn't score at all or at least that it was a very large and insurmountable margin of victory. Going into the half it was a one possession game and while the gap continued to widen it wasn't a shutout in the second half either.

I would nominally agree that "don't embarrass yourself" is a low bar for an NFL head coach, but I feel like given the context where they are playing a team everyone agrees is significantly better there has to be an alternative aside from "defeat this team in your first game or you should be fired".

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Guy A. Person posted:

I always thought "blowout" meant one team didn't score at all or at least that it was a very large and insurmountable margin of victory. Going into the half it was a one possession game and while the gap continued to widen it wasn't a shutout in the second half either.

I would nominally agree that "don't embarrass yourself" is a low bar for an NFL head coach, but I feel like given the context where they are playing a team everyone agrees is significantly better there has to be an alternative aside from "defeat this team in your first game or you should be fired".

Which is how I feel. I'm a Nagy apologist, but I also think this is his last chance to show he can coach this team. For all our criticisms of him, he's got a winning record as a head coach and has made the playoffs 1.5 times in 3 years. He's easily the best coach we've had since Lovie and things can get so much worse.

Can't argue about that Bears secondary though. It was awful.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
First games of the season is always inconsistent but it’s funnier to imagine the whole division is just bad

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I mentioned in the aftermath thread that Jenkins was one of the two bright spots from yesterday for me, PFF confirms:

https://twitter.com/mattschneidman/status/1437429564226080771

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Imagine if the Packers had one good guy on the defensive line in the last literal half-decade besides KC. Rashan would be performing even better than he has been which is already very strongly.

My absolute biggest worry for the Packers this season is that every team can carve this defense up in either the run or pass game and they cannot defend both at all, ever, in their current state. I would like to see Stokes at CB2 way earlier than they will use him and honestly they're loving insane for not giving Sherman a call this off-season.

If they line up 10 yards off (they will) they're going to get torched constantly (they will).

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Guy A. Person posted:

Did you think at any time in that game that the Bears were a threat to win it? The Rams could seemingly score at will.

I just don't get the praise for the offense. Sure they ran well, but who cares? The Rams invited the run all game. They scored 14 points. Dalton had a YPA of 5.4 yards and didn't complete a single pass in the air over 10 yards. It's the same offense we've seen for 3 years. Maybe expectations are so low that keeping the game within 20 points is a victory now.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

I mentioned in the aftermath thread that Jenkins was one of the two bright spots from yesterday for me, PFF confirms:

https://twitter.com/mattschneidman/status/1437429564226080771

IIRC he's played every position on the line except RG, and he's been good-to-great at every position. Dude is gonna get PAID. Kinda wonder if he'll seek out a starting LT position elsewhere if he continues to play well there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I think Turner has one more year but wouldn’t surprise me to see Jenkins be the RT at some point. Super high priced tackles then go with rookie contract guys in the middle, of which they already have.