Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Wheeee posted:

much as i loved blindsight--in spite of the 'vampire' poo poo--i remain unconvinced by watts' thesis that consciousness is an evolutionary dead end or a distinct disadvantage

yeah it's just a buncha BS imo. the idea that non-conscious life capable of space travel could exist isn't that far out there because nature is capable of equipping itself with much more resilient systems than we are built of, but that seems much more like the position of distinct disadvantage to me. if it was like that you wouldn't see convergent evolution toward agency in so many different types of life here on earth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

im in the camp that couldnt get over the dumbass vampire poo poo. so god damned stupid oooh right angles ohh nooo booo. deep space is utterly inhospitable to anything resembling life as we know it anyway and iirc there wasnt really an explanation in blindsight of why the nonsentient life overcame that? maybe there was and i was too annoyed to notice

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

it’s fish people from Atlantis imo

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Slavvy posted:

The idea that the US government can cover up something so fantastic for decades on end is, by far, the least plausible theory put forward itt.

They probably haven't managed to keep everything covered up, but it's such an effectively stigmatized topic historically that people either didn't bother saying anything, got lost in the noise, or were laughed out. That plus proper compartmentalization is probably sufficient to keep even this kinda thing under wraps.

They also probably do not have anything resembling a complete picture of what's actually occurring.

Which brings us back once again to why now? Won't know till we know

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020

my bony fealty posted:

im in the camp that couldnt get over the dumbass vampire poo poo. so god damned stupid oooh right angles ohh nooo booo. deep space is utterly inhospitable to anything resembling life as we know it anyway and iirc there wasnt really an explanation in blindsight of why the nonsentient life overcame that? maybe there was and i was too annoyed to notice

rifters is cooler anyway

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Wheeee posted:

after going hard on this topic for a couple months i've more or less decided that it's not aliens who tootled on over from another planet, it's either prosaic ie psyop and human technology that's not actually doing what it appears to be doing, or that this is something far weirder and outside our modern understanding of reality than some bros from the martian canyons

I've always thought that a lot of the difficulty in fitting an explanation to recorded behavior comes from a combination of the low number of "high quality" reports and the assumption that there must be a single, unified explanation.

Maybe there's a bunch of von Nueman probes running around, all with different creators and different tech levels. One set uses nuclear engines and hasn't even dipped inside the atmosphere, another set uses exotic gravity bullshit and zoom around like physics isn't real, etc. Maybe some of the craft are intelligently controlled; the Zorblaxians invented the warp drive a millennia ago and have spent the intervening time loving around the galaxy and laughing at everyone too stupid to figure it out. The only real way to have any idea of what's going on is to try and build a clean, trusted data set like Avi Loeb is doing, so let's hope that works.

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

just a coconut going for a stroll

cool av posted:

All while, so far, everything we see when we search the skies indicates that we're terrifyingly alone.

I think it's extremely premature to make any pronouncements like this. The amount of sky we have actively searched for intelligence is actually quite limited in depth, breadth, and bandwidth. The types of communication / technosignature searched for is usually limited to extremely high-energy broadcasts beamed directly at us, because our instruments are just not that sensitive yet to detect much of anything else.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Jazerus posted:

yeah it's just a buncha BS imo. the idea that non-conscious life capable of space travel could exist isn't that far out there because nature is capable of equipping itself with much more resilient systems than we are built of, but that seems much more like the position of distinct disadvantage to me. if it was like that you wouldn't see convergent evolution toward agency in so many different types of life here on earth

yea there's evidence that chimpanzees and other apes actually have much more powerful working short-term memory than humans, but even if some animals beat us in some mental tasks there is no other living creature on earth--that we're aware of--which comes anywhere near humanity's capacity for abstract reasoning

you want to see real life rorschach go poke around an ant mound. those motherfuckers been around for over 150 million years and are one of the most dominant and widespread species on the planet, their colonies are magnificently complex with tremendous diversity between ant subspecies, and over that 150 million years they've developed adorable little agricultural systems

meanwhile humans and our big brain self-aware consciousnesses went from zero to creating catastrophic global biosphere collapse and sending robots to drive around other planets inside like 20 thousand years

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

if the lights in the sky have been there the the entire blink of an eye humanity has been down here, we can be certain that our age has seen the fewest of them. the sky was tv for most of us,, and it was a whole different show with zero light pollution.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

there’s some conversation here and in the Epstein thread about things like psychic stuff and magic and such.

does the topic of synchronicity, which I think really ties a lot of those feelings and experiences together, deserve its own thread?

Carl Jung coined the term after a patient described dreaming of a scarab beetle, and then one landed on the window of his office.

I personally have had an insane amount of experiences that aren’t insane in and of themselves, but are so mundane and yet almost impossible to occur that they become insane, and have contemplated starting a thread about it all since different things sometimes come up in these threads about this stuff.

I’d also really like to read other peoples’ stories.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

^e: that's called a coincidence

When I think about how little I knew about Area 51, Lockheed's Skunk Works, Tacit Blue and Have Blue back in the mid 90's it becomes easier to accept that it's probably not aliens.

Shifty Nipples has issued a correction as of 04:35 on Sep 13, 2021

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Shifty Nipples posted:

When I think about how little I knew about Area 51, Lockheed's Skunk Works, Tacit Blue and Have Blue back in the mid 90's it becomes easier to accept that it's probably not aliens.

it aint humans either, based on how long tic tac like UAPs have been described

Morbus
May 18, 2004

i am harry posted:

there’s some conversation here and in the Epstein thread about things like psychic stuff and magic and such.

does the topic of synchronicity, which I think really ties a lot of those feelings and experiences together, deserve its own thread?

Carl Jung coined the term after a patient described dreaming of a scarab beetle, and then one landed on the window of his office.

I personally have had an insane amount of experiences that aren’t insane in and of themselves, but are so mundane and yet almost impossible to occur that they become insane, and have contemplated starting a thread about it all since different things sometimes come up in these threads about this stuff.

one time i dreamed that i poo poo my pants and when i woke up someone had poo poo all over my bed and inside my underwear

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Morbus posted:

one time i dreamed that i poo poo my pants and when i woke up someone had poo poo all over my bed and inside my underwear

this is what you can expect your thread to amount to i am harry.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

i am harry posted:

A thought I've had recently is that people should spend more time examining "coincidences" in day to day life, myself included. The checking your phone before getting a text has been brought up before itt, but I bet there's more to it than that.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

I don't know what I think about it, but the push is usually to ignore them so why not write em down at least

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Morbus posted:

your father's post. this is the post of a gbs knight. not as clumsy or random as a cspammer. an elegant post, for a more... civilized posting age.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

WEH posted:

it aint humans either, based on how long tic tac like UAPs have been described

granted it isn't necessarily "robust" but the Airbus Zephyr is currently flying over south-western Arizona

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

WEH posted:

A thought I've had recently is that people should spend more time examining "coincidences" in day to day life, myself included. The checking your phone before getting a text has been brought up before itt, but I bet there's more to it than that.

it would be hard to control for misses though, like the number of times I have been expecting this damned contractor to email me his quotes "in a few days" two weeks ago

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

WEH posted:

They probably haven't managed to keep everything covered up, but it's such an effectively stigmatized topic historically that people either didn't bother saying anything, got lost in the noise, or were laughed out. That plus proper compartmentalization is probably sufficient to keep even this kinda thing under wraps.

They also probably do not have anything resembling a complete picture of what's actually occurring.

Which brings us back once again to why now? Won't know till we know

Another interesting aspect of all this is how once the US acknowledged UAPs a bunch of other governments were like "yea, we've been seeing this poo poo too"

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Slavvy posted:

The idea that the US government can cover up something so fantastic for decades on end is, by far, the least plausible theory put forward itt.

For typical conspiracy stuff this is usually true, but there have been tons of videos, photographs, and whistleblowers over the decades. They've all been ignored because of the way this subject is viewed by the general public and media. The fact that most of them were crazy people just gives that much more reason to people not to listen to any of them. The Nimitz encounter story was out there almost since it happened and it took a NYT article 15 years later before anybody took it at all seriously, and even then it is dismissed by more people than believe it.

Shifty Nipples posted:

Yes and no. I absolutely believe that a big part of this is regular human stuff like adversarial drones and black project crap, in fact it's probably the majority. The other stuff like that tic tac (assuming it actually did exhibit the capabilities claimed) is in no way shape or form human tech. That's not just some "we'll have that in 20 years" tech it's "we may have that in 100 years if we are lucky" tech and it took place almost 20 years ago.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

The Blindsite vampire poo poo is the worst thing I've ever read. Just a huge honking alarm warning you that the author is an idiot.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Ratios and Tendency posted:

The Blindsite vampire poo poo is the worst thing I've ever read. Just a huge honking alarm warning you that the author is an idiot.

I'm probably better off not having a clue what you all are talking about

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

D-Pad posted:

The other stuff like that tic tac (assuming it actually did exhibit the capabilities claimed) is in no way shape or form human tech. That's not just some "we'll have that in 20 years" tech it's "we may have that in 100 years if we are lucky" tech and it took place almost 20 years ago.

To add on, UAPs with similar characteristics to the tic tac(s) have been recorded at least as early as the 1940s and potentially since the late 1800s

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

There were "rods" in the 90's that seemed to like to hang out in and around a giant sink-hole that people would BASE jump in, they were just bugs flying around.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Shifty Nipples posted:

There were "rods" in the 90's that seemed to like to hang out in and around a giant sink-hole that people would BASE jump in, they were just bugs flying around.

word yea a fighter jet in 2004 picked up an insect on the sensor and was unable to distinguish it from a fuckin spaceship. keep up the good work mr genius

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

i am harry posted:

Enjoy:

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

rods and orbs

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

reddit found a slightly higher resolution vid of that cockpit video, in the original on youtube there was a weird clipping line when the bird passed under the wing and i wasn't sure if it was a mask or a compression artifact, but i don't see it in this one so i'm going with compression artifact?!

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6hrfhx

WEH posted:

i had a similar thought at some point last year and started jotting down things that seemed to crop up repeatedly in conversation/news/whatever when you wouldn't expect them to. i got "sharks" and "ufos" and then gave up on the endeavor lmao

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Wheeee posted:

after going hard on this topic for a couple months i've more or less decided that it's not aliens who tootled on over from another planet, it's either prosaic ie psyop and human technology that's not actually doing what it appears to be doing, or that this is something far weirder and outside our modern understanding of reality than some bros from the martian canyons

Boo

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Jazerus posted:

word yea a fighter jet in 2004 picked up an insect on the sensor and was unable to distinguish it from a fuckin spaceship. keep up the good work mr genius

these objects have multiple characteristics that unless I misunderstand do not apply universally to every object being discussed. for example the post before mine was talking about objects from throughout history that I don't think were all enormous.

there are different explanations for different "sightings" :eng101:

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

pancake rabbit posted:

reddit found a slightly higher resolution vid of that cockpit video, in the original on youtube there was a weird clipping line when the bird passed under the wing and i wasn't sure if it was a mask or a compression artifact, but i don't see it in this one so i'm going with compression artifact?!

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6hrfhx

looks a lot like this guy to me

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Bilirubin posted:

it would be hard to control for misses though, like the number of times I have been expecting this damned contractor to email me his quotes "in a few days" two weeks ago

That would be anti-syncronicity since you're not in line with your contractor. Start thinking in the ways they'd think and they'll move closer to your thinking.

Id suggest starting with "gently caress this is not enough money for this poo poo" and "rich rear end in a top hat thinks he's better than me?! What the fick has he ever done for anyone.."

You'll have your quote within a day.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Shifty Nipples posted:

these objects have multiple characteristics that unless I misunderstand do not apply universally to every object being discussed. for example the post before mine was talking about objects from throughout history that I don't think were all enormous.

there are different explanations for different "sightings" :eng101:

Be specific about which incident you're trying to flippantly dismiss as bugs then.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

it’ll never stop being funny when someone new stumbles in and decides they’ve cracked it, fuckin us navy has been getting bamboozled by birds and flares for decades those dipshits

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Wheeee posted:

it’ll never stop being funny when someone new stumbles in and decides they’ve cracked it, fuckin us navy has been getting bamboozled by birds and flares for decades those dipshits

If we plot these statistically I reckon they'll happen with alarming regularity, like every 6-8 thread pages. Almost like everyone itt being starved for content manifests as a seemingly original thought in some dumbledore's brain and draws them here subconsciously :tinfoil:

The climate threads work the same way afaict.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/house-bill/4350/text

quote:

SEC. 1652. ESTABLISHMENT OF OFFICE TO ADDRESS UNIDENTIFIED AERIAL
PHENOMENA.

(a) Establishment.--Not later than 180 days after the date of the enactment of this Act, the Secretary of Defense, in coordination with
the Director of National Intelligence, shall establish an office within the Office of the Secretary of Defense to carry out, on a Department-wide basis, the mission currently performed by the Unidentified Aerial
Phenomenon Task Force as of the date of the enactment of this Act.

(b) Duties.--The duties of the office established under subsection (a) shall include the following:

(1) Developing procedures to synchronize and standardize the collection, reporting, and analysis of incidents regarding unidentified aerial phenomena across the Department of Defense.

(2) Developing processes and procedures to ensure that such incidents from each military department are reported and incorporated in a centralized repository.

(3) Establishing procedures to require the timely and consistent reporting of such incidents.

(4) Evaluating links between unidentified aerial phenomena and adversarial foreign governments, other foreign governments, or nonstate actors.

(5) Evaluating the threat that such incidents present to the United States.

(6) Coordinating with other departments and agencies of the Federal Government, as appropriate.

(7) Coordinating with allies and partners of the United States, as appropriate, to better assess the nature and extent of unidentified aerial phenomena.

(c) Annual Report.--

(1) Requirement.--Not later than December 31, 2022, and annually thereafter until December 31, 2026, the Secretary of Defense shall submit to the appropriate congressional committees a report on unidentified aerial phenomena.

(2) Elements.--Each report under paragraph (1) shall include, with respect to the year covered by the report, the following information:

(A) An analysis of data and intelligence received through reports of unidentified aerial phenomena.

(B) An analysis of data relating to unidentified aerial phenomena collected through--
(i) geospatial intelligence;
(ii) signals intelligence;
(iii) human intelligence; and
(iv) measurement and signals intelligence.

(C) The number of reported incidents of unidentified aerial phenomena over restricted air space of the United States.

(D) An analysis of such incidents identified under subparagraph (C).

(E) Identification of potential aerospace or other threats posed by unidentified aerial phenomena to the national security of the United States.

(F) An assessment of any activity regarding unidentified aerial phenomena that can be attributed to one or more adversarial foreign governments.

(G) Identification of any incidents or patterns regarding unidentified aerial phenomena that indicate a potential adversarial foreign government may have achieved a breakthrough aerospace capability.

(H) An update on the coordination by the United States with allies and partners on efforts to track, understand, and address unidentified aerial phenomena.

(I) An update on any efforts underway on the ability to capture or exploit discovered unidentified aerial phenomena.

(J) An assessment of any health-related effects for individuals that have encountered unidentified aerial phenomena.

(d) Task Force.--Not later than the date on which the Secretary establishes the office under subsection (a), the Secretary shall
terminate the Unidentified Aerial Phenomenon Task Force.

(e) Definitions.--In this section:

(1) The term ``appropriate congressional committees'' means the following:

(A) The Committee on Armed Services, the Committee on Foreign Affairs, and the Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence of the House of Representatives.

(B) The Committee on Armed Services, the Committee on Foreign Relations, and the Select Committee on Intelligence of the Senate.

(2) The term ``unidentified aerial phenomena'' means airborne objects witnessed by a pilot or aircrew member that are not immediately identifiable.

here’s excited smug Lue talking about it yesterday

https://youtu.be/COsPz68819k

https://mobile.twitter.com/IUFOC/status/1436404434121084931

Lue concurs, the DHS leaked videos are legit UAPs following analysis

Wheeee has issued a correction as of 09:07 on Sep 13, 2021

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Hatebag posted:

Some non human intelligence has resulted in things blipping around on the surface of earth. Maybe it's aliens, maybe it's undersea intelligence, maybe Interdimensional, maybe time travel but whatever it is we want to hug and kiss them

i will do it. i will gently caress the aliens

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
the aliens are visiting because there is an intergalactic top shortage. this is my Purpose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

I’ve been watching blue planet 2 lately and it makes me think but what if uaps live in the deep depths of the open ocean? this is a sexy thought.

maybe only the sentient underwater mammals of the oceans know the universal truth of what exists out there?