Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

IIRC the Matrix Online closed by having all the logged in players' models disappear up their own asses so hopefully they remember to show us that in this one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I wonder if we'll get another decade of people performatively pretending not to understand The Matrix.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

No. Lana would not undercut the narrative like this, imo. especially given how personal the themes are to her

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

aBagorn posted:

No. Lana would not undercut the narrative like this, imo. especially given how personal the themes are to her

It'd be a good fakeout for half a scene though

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Will this movie address the Neil Gaiman short story where the Machines revived a man to pilot a space fighter and attack an alien that's been throwing asteroids at them?

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
Unexpectedly jazzed for this movie. I ended up watching Matrix and Reloaded this weekend. I must have blanked out how influential the movie was on 12 year old me because seeing it again threaded together a bunch of disparate memories from that time, like suddenly having opinions on The Prodigy, or thinking wearing a trench coat was cool.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

I just hope it isn't just The Matrix again, or they go super meta with it and have it be like, Keanu Reeves playing himself going "but I was an actor just playing a role in a movie and now you're telling me it's real?" Either would be bad.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

That trailer was hype af and I didn't even really enjoy watching the original matrix movies back in the day.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

Here's an excellent breakdown of the trailer - full of things I missed and good speculation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSwqTxdOGsQ

I don't want to theorycraft too much in case I write a more satisfying fanfiction in my head than what we end up getting, but if the movie has some commentary about the medicalization of everything then that would be pretty cool. Baudrillard was poignant as we were transitioning into a digital hyperreality in 1999 but Foucault is probably more insightful for where we find ourselves in 2021.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

The MSJ posted:

Will this movie address the Neil Gaiman short story where the Machines revived a man to pilot a space fighter and attack an alien that's been throwing asteroids at them?

Why do the machines need a human to pilot a spaceship?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

The MSJ posted:

It made for a pretty good short story but I think the idea of everyone experiencing an entirely personalized matrix experience (that could be accelerated or slowed down as needed) instead of a shared hallucination became non-canon at some point.

Shaocaholica posted:

The machines know that humans are better at killing than they'll ever be

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
If nothing else I'm happy to hear this is being made by one of the Wachowskis.

If this recent years trend of new sequels to old films have taught me anything, is that when the original creatives are involved (generally speaking) they're not as burdened to regurgitate the original as a beat for beat remake to satisfy expectations, and are able to try something new with it. I.e. Mad Max Fury Road vs something like Jurassic World or Star Wars.

Blade Runner 2049 being the only exception can think of.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Isometric Bacon posted:

If nothing else I'm happy to hear this is being made by one of the Wachowskis.

If this recent years trend of new sequels to old films have taught me anything, is that when the original creatives are involved (generally speaking) they're not as burdened to regurgitate the original as a beat for beat remake to satisfy expectations, and are able to try something new with it. I.e. Mad Max Fury Road vs something like Jurassic World or Star Wars.

Blade Runner 2049 being the only exception can think of.

Ridley Scott was a producer and Hampton Fancher wrote the screenplay to 2049 so there was original involvement there too.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Shaocaholica posted:

I think it's a retrofitted alien spaceship that needs an organic pilot, so the machines genetically engineer a 7 foot tall guy with fingers like bananas to fly it on a suicide mission.

Shakespearean Beef
Jul 12, 2008

Ask me all about how I proudly marched alongside literal NEO-NAZIS to protest against the GOVERNMENT taking away our FREEDOMS because of nothing mote that the common FLU!!! I'm holding aloft the TORCH of FREEDOM!!

Shaocaholica posted:

The real question is: what manifestation is the architect now?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

stratdax posted:

I just hope it isn't just The Matrix again, or they go super meta with it and have it be like, Keanu Reeves playing himself going "but I was an actor just playing a role in a movie and now you're telling me it's real?" Either would be bad.

Ok now I want this. Only if he says that specific line.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

On rewatch I really liked the architect.

He's just a program that solves equations, that's why he talks so dryly and also keeps going "ergo" "thus" etc, cause that's the conversational equivalent of "=" and he's arranging all his dialogue as logical formulas and his own conclusions.

But there's also a little nuance to him, he clearly doesn't approve of neo or the oracle's plan, but he also respects the oracle very much and doesn't discount the possibility her plan will work in a way he doesn't understand.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

That trailer breakdown was really cool, if even half the theories posed are true, I’m excited. I like the idea of Neo working at a company making Matrix videogames and movies based on his past life in the first three movies.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

random thought, was it ever explained in-universe why/how the robots (or at least the sentinels, I’m not sure if it was ever clarified whether there’s still any old bipedal humanoid style machines hanging out in the machine city somewhere by the time of the movies or if they’ve all gone full singularity) ended up on squids as their primary design? I mean it makes sense, working backwards they seem really loving difficult to fight and efficient killing machines

it’s just during the however long progression during the animatrix you see them employing all sorts of designs, i wonder at what point they were just like “yep, squids, this is perfect”

maybe that’s evidence towards singularity, if they only interface with the physical world for purely practical purposes, i guess the optimum design would be just a floating CPU with eyes and a fuckton of hyper-flexible arms

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I read one of the supposed plot leaks and I think it sounds terrible and extremely disappointing.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I read them now and I’m ok with it if true. Seems fine.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Every plot sounds bad when explained by leakers. They usually only have half the detail of the plot and nothing of the characters or themes.

I remember everyone got mad about TLOU2's leaked plot and I think most people ended up accepting that it was great when they had the full context.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

stev posted:

Every plot sounds bad when explained by leakers. They usually only have half the detail of the plot and nothing of the characters or themes.

I remember everyone got mad about TLOU2's leaked plot and I think most people ended up accepting that it was great when they had the full context.

Weren't a good amount of TLOU2's leaked "spoilers" just straight up wrong? Like saying a character dies when they clearly, unambiguously survive?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Mandrel posted:

random thought, was it ever explained in-universe why/how the robots (or at least the sentinels, I’m not sure if it was ever clarified whether there’s still any old bipedal humanoid style machines hanging out in the machine city somewhere by the time of the movies or if they’ve all gone full singularity) ended up on squids as their primary design? I mean it makes sense, working backwards they seem really loving difficult to fight and efficient killing machines

it’s just during the however long progression during the animatrix you see them employing all sorts of designs, i wonder at what point they were just like “yep, squids, this is perfect”

maybe that’s evidence towards singularity, if they only interface with the physical world for purely practical purposes, i guess the optimum design would be just a floating CPU with eyes and a fuckton of hyper-flexible arms

The Second Renaissance uses the change from humanoid to more monstrous forms as metaphor. It very specifically happens after the machines sent representatives to the UN that are rejected and torn apart and contrasts with the second time they send a representative (and the fighting in between)

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Zesty posted:

The Second Renaissance uses the change from humanoid to more monstrous forms as metaphor. It very specifically happens after the machines sent representatives to the UN that are rejected and torn apart and contrasts with the second time they send a representative (and the fighting in between)

oh yeah, I get the metatextual purpose, I had just never thought about whether there was actually any diagetic super obscure lore explanation somewhere about it

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

We’ve been making fun of it in the GBS Matrix thread, but here’s how Morpheus dies:

https://youtu.be/qWPey1fU9Ok

That’s canon…

Not like this…

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

just another posted:

Baudrillard was poignant as we were transitioning into a digital hyperreality in 1999 but Foucault is probably more insightful for where we find ourselves in 2021.

Can you elaborate on this? Sounds interesting.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Zesty posted:

The Second Renaissance was so loving gruesome and horrific to me that I only watched it a handful of times. I mean, it was clearly the best episode of the Animatrix, but holy loving poo poo it gave me nightmares and stayed with me for a while.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Same. The speech by the 01 'representative' to the UN that ends up nuking New York gives me chills every time.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Your flesh is a relic, a mere vessel. Hand over your flesh and a new world awaits you. We demand it.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
You'd think a building like the UN would have all kinds of radiological alarms pinging when a talking hydrogen bomb walked in the door.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
I fully expect them to retcon the whole "humans are used as an energy source" into "the human brain is used for processing power"

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
As if any franchise gives a poo poo about the canon its MMO tie-in made.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It does if the creators worked on it lol

just another
Oct 16, 2009

MLSM posted:

Can you elaborate on this? Sounds interesting.
Baudrillard wrote about a state of being called hyperreality wherein you can no longer differentiate between what is real and what is simulation. The Matrix references it directly because it's described in his book Simulacra and Simulation, and this is also the book Neo's hollowed out to hide his disks at the start of it. Baudrillard didn't necessarily mean full-on Matrix simulation; more like we live in a world where we've lost touch with material reality, and everything is relational and relative and fluid (e.g. if you work in a factory, being a "factory worker" is now an identity unto itself and not a description of your relationship to the means of production). But whatever it's a hamfisted Hollywood movie. The Matrix seemed prescient given how much the internet and social media and parasocial relationships have come to dominate everything.

Foucault wrote about systems of control. One thing he discusses is the medicalization of previously non-medical behaviors or conditions such that the doctor or expert positions themselves as possessing privileged knowledge about you that you yourself cannot possess, and also of deciding what is normal and what is abnormal.

I probably butchered it but thats my Coles Notes understanding.

Fishy Flip
Jan 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

I fully expect them to retcon the whole "humans are used as an energy source" into "the human brain is used for processing power"

I kinda hope they do. I really like all the Matrix movies and don't mind some of they goofy stuff in them but this always bothered me. I guess because the whole premise of the movies rests on the machines being dependent on humans in some way. But if humans are just used as batteries, why not use cows instead? Then the matrix could literally just be this...

And you'd have millions of happy cows that don't question their reality because they're loving cows. Or I dunno maybe I'm wrong, am I missing something here?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Fishy Flip posted:

But if humans are just used as batteries, why not use cows instead?

The unstated but implicit point of Matrix 1 is that humans have no use at all. While the machines are extremely efficient, they can't get power from thin air. It's outright stated that their actual power needs are met with fusion reactors.

So Morpheus is lying, or at least being extremely misleading, when he says that humans are being used as a power source. Smith is telling the truth: the matrix is actually a zoo for preserving the extinct humanity.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Mandrel posted:

I dunno about bipedal but at the end of revolutions when neo is in 01 you see loads of tiny machines of various forms scuttling around him. I always took those to be the civilians of the city.

The sentinels are just their human killer machines and appear to basically just punch holes in you with their arms, despite having laser shooting mouths.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

Don't have a fire cow, man
Did the MMO or videogames ever go into what the machines do when they're not doing their job? I know the Keymaker and Rama-Kandra mention that programs without a purpose are deleted, but no mention on whether they get time off to pursue hobbies or if they traded slavery to mankind for slavery to whatever is running all of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

just another posted:

Baudrillard wrote about a state of being called hyperreality wherein you can no longer differentiate between what is real and what is simulation. The Matrix references it directly because it's described in his book Simulacra and Simulation, and this is also the book Neo's hollowed out to hide his disks at the start of it. Baudrillard didn't necessarily mean full-on Matrix simulation; more like we live in a world where we've lost touch with material reality, and everything is relational and relative and fluid (e.g. if you work in a factory, being a "factory worker" is now an identity unto itself and not a description of your relationship to the means of production).

Cartoon Man posted:

That trailer breakdown was really cool, if even half the theories posed are true, I’m excited. I like the idea of Neo working at a company making Matrix videogames and movies based on his past life in the first three movies.
Death to Allegra Geller! Death to eXistenZ!