Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Jedit posted:

I remembered Dushku being in the movie but never heard about the abuse.

Of course Dushku is best known now for her work with Joss Whedon. Woman can't catch a break.

A comment on the compounding nature of sexual abuse was here, but, it is such an awful thing to start a new page with and also not even the thread for it really so I am going to just remove it. So how bout that 90s homophobia, eh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Oh my god I hate this page snipe so much lol

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Hollywood is evil and should be destroyed, honestly.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Hollywood is evil and should be destroyed, honestly.

Does Hollywood even exist in Hollywood anymore? I lived nearby some years back and the place was a complete toilet.
Either way, just burn it.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
You know I've never heard anyone having trouble with Fuddrucker's 1/3, 1/2 and 2/3 pricing on burger sizes.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

ReidRansom posted:

But like, people ARE that stupid.

When France did their last nuclear tests on their Pacific islands, we had people protesting buying croissants.

In Australia.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Remember freedom fries?

Lol.

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus

Arivia posted:

It wasn't just Archer, tbf - the blowback was bad enough to convince critically-acclaimed seminal post-metal band Isis to also change their name for reunion shows. People get poo poo for having named their cats Isis.

We live in a stupid world.

Weirdly in Oxford there were a whole bunch of businesses named stuff like Isis Cleaning or Isis Tree Surgery or whatever (after the river Isis) that managed to weather the storm of new bad associations easily enough.

By contrast one of the dogs on Downton Abbey was called Isis but they killed her off and replaced her with puppies named poo poo like Fred and George.:(

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

GhastlyBizness posted:

Weirdly in Oxford there were a whole bunch of businesses named stuff like Isis Cleaning or Isis Tree Surgery or whatever (after the river Isis) that managed to weather the storm of new bad associations easily enough.

By contrast one of the dogs on Downton Abbey was called Isis but they killed her off and replaced her with puppies named poo poo like Fred and George.:(

What the gently caress are you talking about that never happened in Downton Abbey. They got a new dog late series 6 and named her after an Egyptian Queen.

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus

pentyne posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about that never happened in Downton Abbey. They got a new dog late series 6 and named her after an Egyptian Queen.

An Egyptian Queen called Teo? Or do you mean Pharoah? Does seem like the 'kill off the dog because people will get confused' was bullshit though.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2014/nov/03/isis-in-crisis-is-downton-abbey-dog-best-character-die posted:

Between series four and five, some international events occurred which resulted in the fact that you can now Google the words “Isis Downton Terrorist” and get 3.4million results. A slew of conspiracy theories emerged about “growing discomfort about the dog’s name being similar to that of the terrorist group Isis”. (I make no comment. But this is utter lunacy.) Uncle Julian (Fellowes, the writer behind the series) responded that the dogs’ names used so far come from Downton’s connection to Egyptology. The real-life fifth Earl of Carnarvon financed the expedition that led to the excavation of the tomb of Tutankhamun in the 1920s. A likely story indeed. Any sensible person continues to believe that Isis is the Trojan Labrador of Our Times who holds the hidden key to international peace.

Not making the dog a time travelling fifth columnist for a caliphate, nestled in rural yorkshire, was a missed opportunity imo

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
From 1970s Saturday mornings:

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

quote:

Isis oh Isis you're a mystical child
What drives me to you is what drives me insane
I still can remember the way that you smiled
On the fifth day of May in the drizzling rain

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Mister Kingdom posted:

You could have told me this was from 1970s late nights and I would have just as easily believed you

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

GhastlyBizness posted:

Does seem like the 'kill off the dog because people will get confused' was bullshit though.

Everyone knew it was coming. I mean, she was what, 15 years old at that point? My friend and I always joked that she outlived most of the cast.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

It's like the dog in For Better or Worse. The cartoonist realized the big dog was around 20, so it got bumped off heroically saving the toddler.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MrUnderbridge posted:

It's like the dog in For Better or Worse. The cartoonist realized the big dog was around 20, so it got bumped off heroically saving the toddler.

Farley the dog had died IRL some time beforehand, Lynn had time to sort out how to write Farley's death in the comic.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

MrUnderbridge posted:

This is what happens when you think pointing out plot holes is the same thing as media criticism

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Mister Kingdom posted:

This character is actually still on television today, but they had to redesign the poo poo out her.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
No one can force you to watch Cleopatra 2525, but there are probably some Bruce Campbell-centric social groups where you may be obligated to watch Jack o' All Trades.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Volcott posted:

No one can force you to watch Cleopatra 2525, but there are probably some Bruce Campbell-centric social groups where you may be obligated to watch Jack o' All Trades.

Bubba Hotep

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

MrUnderbridge posted:

In Footrot Flats, the stray cat the character 'Horse' was based on died and the author put a big commemoration at the start of his next book all about it. It was really touching.

But Footrot Flats was a book about farming life written by someone who'd spent their life living on farms and never tried to shy away from dealing with the sex, disease and death that comprise most of a farmer's work.

EDIT: Uh, that's sex as in breeding the livestock. Not the people sort. The Dog saw to that ;)

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Look sometimes you gotta sex the chicks and sometimes you gotta sex the chicks

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'd only heard that Charles Schultz said if the author killed off Farley he'd have Snoopy hit by a car.

I mostly know the author of For Better Or For Worse got weird after she got divorced.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Cant be as bad as Funky Cancercancer.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
As bad? Funky Cancerbean is remarkable but it plays out over a long timescale, is very melodramatic and isn't harvested from the authors own life. Reading For Better Or For Worse post-divorce was an awful glimpse inside someone's grief, it was so closely modelled on her own life. Some of the author notes were just depressing, where she talked about all the spare time she had and how it was simpler to just cook and clean for one. And wasn't there some strange drama about the creator rewriting her children's lives?

Edit: Rereading what I wrote, it understates just strange Funky got in it's own right. Is there any good timeline of that out on the web?

nonathlon has a new favorite as of 14:04 on Sep 13, 2021

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

nonathlon posted:

And wasn't there some strange drama about the creator rewriting her children's lives?

I want to say that her son came out of the closet and she very firmly avoided putting that into the strip? Something like that.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
It was worse than that. It's full of "my kids made the wrong decisions in life so in the comic they'll do the right ones" Who they married, their choice of careers and more.

Imagine your mom publicly trying to shame you like that.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Oh Lord.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

nonathlon posted:

As bad? Funky Cancerbean is remarkable but it plays out over a long timescale, is very melodramatic and isn't harvested from the authors own life. Reading For Better Or For Worse post-divorce was an awful glimpse inside someone's grief, it was so closely modelled on her own life. Some of the author notes were just depressing, where she talked about all the spare time she had and how it was simpler to just cook and clean for one. And wasn't there some strange drama about the creator rewriting her children's lives?

Edit: Rereading what I wrote, it understates just strange Funky got in it's own right. Is there any good timeline of that out on the web?

My understanding of the For Better or For Worse author was that she was so awful to be around, that even her children sympathized with her dad when he was the one to have an affair. Also, yes, the author rewrote the characters in the comics to be her ideal family in the reboot. Also, she even had some really petty snipes against her family.

IShallRiseAgain has a new favorite as of 15:51 on Sep 13, 2021

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Plus there's the thing where she threw her child outside in the snow and locked the door

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

nonathlon posted:

The thing I remember most about Funky Winkerbean is that the spinoff comic, Crankshaft, which was just a gag-a-day strip that never did a time-skip, occasionally did flash-forwards of Crankshaft as an extremely aged, near-death invalid in a nursing home without jokes or any sense of what was going on. And I think that version of the character was in a Funky Winkerbean story about a kid volunteering in a nursing home. It was extremely jarring.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Volcott posted:

I mean I'll gladly watch both of those without needing to join any specific social groups. :v:

I miss 90s syndicated tv.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

The thing I remember most about Funky Winkerbean is that the spinoff comic, Crankshaft, which was just a gag-a-day strip that never did a time-skip, occasionally did flash-forwards of Crankshaft as an extremely aged, near-death invalid in a nursing home without jokes or any sense of what was going on. And I think that version of the character was in a Funky Winkerbean story about a kid volunteering in a nursing home. It was extremely jarring.

:eyepop:

I read the creator wanted to show that comics could handle serious subjects. But what's the audience for "I'm alone, senile and rotting away, the end, no moral"?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

nonathlon posted:

:eyepop:

I read the creator wanted to show that comics could handle serious subjects. But what's the audience for "I'm alone, senile and rotting away, the end, no moral"?

Mitchell and Webb did it well with their Sherlock Holmes with dementia sketch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp02ubGuTIU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Newspaper comics get kinda wild when they become institutions and the author just does whatever because their audience of old fucks and bored kids doesn't care or can't complain. Reminds me of how webcomics can end up.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Vandar posted:

I mean I'll gladly watch both of those without needing to join any specific social groups. :v:

I miss 90s syndicated tv.

How do you feel about Mutant X?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

the sex, disease and death that comprise most of a farmer's work.

EDIT: Uh, that's sex as in breeding the livestock. Not the people sort. The Dog saw to that ;)

You’re going to the wrong farms

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Toshimo posted:

Any show that uses that one Vancouver dam as a futuristic show setting is ok with me. Even The Pretender.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Toshimo posted:

Never got to watch that one. Maybe I should try to check it out sometime...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Vandar posted:

Never got to watch that one. Maybe I should try to check it out sometime...

Hell yeah.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxk8aUei_p0

THIS IS THE CONTENT THIS THREAD CRAVES.