Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Inbreeding.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

RoboRodent posted:

There are many species of bee that are not the domesticated honeybee. Bumblebees, carpenter bees, mason bees. They don't usually make honey and a lot of them are solitary, but they still have a really important role as pollinators. And, unfortunately, by introducing the European honeybee to North America, we've created a lot of increased competition for the native species. They're flying around trying to gather enough pollen and nectar for their own purposes, but honeybees are VERY good at what they do, and it's hard for a solitary bee to compete. In addition, the way we spray for pests and bulldoze habitats and insist on manicured lawns with only grass and no flowers also harms them.

"Save the bees" as applied specifically to honeybees is bad. Honeybees are fine, they're in no danger of going extinct. Native bees, though, are having a harder time.

And the thing about ecology is that it's hard to get people to care about things like small minnows or unexciting little frogs or bumblebees, but if species like this aren't doing well, the ecosystem as a whole probably isn't doing well. You can't take one species out and expect nothing to happen.

Plant local wildflowers, provide nesting places and water, don't spray for pests.

To add to this many native pollinators, because we have to include wasps, hoverflies, moths etc in this, only feed on specific plants whilst honeybees will harvest on any plant nearby and so efficiently and in such numbers that native species get muscled out very quickly.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/BadVaccineTakes/status/1437392950972059655

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

All I can think of is has there ever, ever been any fiction where the people calling themselves "purebloods" are not the bad guys in some form?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Look forward to these people finding out the ‘stuff’ they have they feel is worth so much is actually worth less than Disney Black Diamond VHS tapes.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

RoboRodent posted:

All I can think of is has there ever, ever been any fiction where the people calling themselves "purebloods" are not the bad guys in some form?

You don't need to think of fiction because I'm pretty sure this is straight up nazi poo poo

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Show me that smile again
Show me that smile

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Teach posted:

Dave Mustaine has let himself go.

Honestly thought it might be Mustaine until I scrolled down the rest of the way. Nope, just another outstanding example of the White Race :preacher:

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

joylessdivision posted:

Honestly thought it might be Mustaine until I scrolled down the rest of the way. Nope, just another outstanding example of the White Race :preacher:

I’m pretty sure she’s doing a Mustaine cosplay. She’s nailed it all the way down to the lovely political opinions.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
If I could’ve been set for life by just delaying my vaccine for a year and doing nothing but jacking off at home, I’d both be rich and also not really have changed my schedule all that much.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Thank you very much for the bee education :)

I had been under the impression that honey bees were also endangered and I didn't know that they are causing problems for other pollinating species. I appreciate the explanations.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Or you can get the vax, then lie about your purity.

*taps head* This magnet sticks no where on my body, and this 10$ thing from amazing says no signals.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

AlbieQuirky posted:

I mean, the Black ancestry of Pushkin and Dumas, among others, really was commonly erased until fairly recently.

Uhh, not to be all "well, akshually", but Pushkin's great-grandfather being black is a pretty well-known fact - at least i recall learning about it in middle school (though nb that was in post-soviet eastern europe, dk if its the same in other places). His great-grandfather is a pretty significant historical figure in his own right, really

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

FirstAidKite posted:

I had been under the impression that honey bees were also endangered and I didn't know that they are causing problems for other pollinating species. I appreciate the explanations.

No problem!

There's a chance you (and countless others) got that impression because the honey bee industry hijacked the whole "save the bees" thing and started pushing that narrative. The public and mediascape weren't really equipped to scrutinize it because most people don't know nor need to know much if anything about all the bees out there.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Stop quoting that thing aaaaaaahhhhhh

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
That lady's got a real "Mama Fratelli" vibe

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

So just to muddy it up a little bit honeybees do have threats. Colony Collapse disorder, varroa etc are all threats to honey bee colonies just not to the extend that's made out in the media. it's a combinations of things, the honey bee industry pushing the narrative and for people it's easy to make people care about honey bees because they make honey. But the threat is to all pollinators not honeybees.

For context there are no wild honeybee colonies in the UK, you get feral colonies but they tend to die out because of Varroa which is a pest we imported from Asia. So we wouldn't have honeybees without beekeepers but we also don't necessarily need honeybees.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Look forward to these people finding out the ‘stuff’ they have they feel is worth so much is actually worth less than Disney Black Diamond VHS tapes.

:mad: Hey! At least I can watch Sleeping Beauty without having to rely on the chop job Blu Ray editions.

https://www.boredpanda.com/disney-animated-movies-ciderella-blu-ray-restoration-ruined-detail/

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

FirstAidKite posted:

Sudden colony collapses are a thing and it's obviously not great for the bees in the hive, but they're cultivated on such a level they're not endangered. I believe a lot of the most plausible theories for why hives were suddenly all dying centers around mass agricultural practices like certain pesticides maybe poisoning the bees used to pollinate crops?

EDIT: Also what the actual beekeeper said, I'm just a biology undergrad who likes bees.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I was going to make a joke about that but I couldn't figure out how to word it now that Disney's made a live action movie and a tv series out of their version of beauty and the beast

What do you call it now? The one where Ron Perlman plays a handsome monster? That's half his career

So here, enjoy this multi-line post talking about a different post that doesn't exist and that I didn't think was good enough to make in the first place

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I can smell this video

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Roblo posted:

I can smell this video

I hate the moving version, it's like those creepy "animate old photographs" gifs that were made a year or so ago.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

RoboRodent posted:

The Iron Dream :v

ESDK
Oct 10, 2007

I was thinking:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If we're steal pop culture names I vote for calling them vilebloods cos they got that plague poo poo.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

OwlFancier posted:

If we're steal pop culture names I vote for calling them vilebloods cos they got that plague poo poo.

Fear the Olds' Blood

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/AChillGhost/status/1437285093790437377?s=20

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

OwlFancier posted:

horseguts

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

This guy had a fever dream in which he conflated Max Rebo with Luke, happens to the best of us, and doesn't understand that his mom is remembering his memory and perspective.

But this Bigger Luke is some premium internet. I can't tell if I am getting Poe's Lawed or not - http://biggerluke.wikidot.com/bigger-luke

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

quote:

The appearance of Bigger Luke in a particular scene is generally, but not always, judged relative to the height of Han Solo, and as such Han is the primary go-to frame of reference amongst Bigger Luke Theorists.

Wait, wait, wait... how can they be so certain this isn't all in fact an occasional Smaller Han? Or wildly varying sizes for everyone, and Luke is the only constant?

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
More like Poe Dameron’s Law am I right :haw:

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

ReidRansom posted:

Wait, wait, wait... how can they be so certain this isn't all in fact an occasional Smaller Han? Or wildly varying sizes for everyone, and Luke is the only constant?

Because Smaller Han is an insane theory, whereas Bigger Luke is just plain truth

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Malignant sequel lookin bad

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Heath posted:

Fear the Olds' Blood

If you take the horse paste it will grow eyes on the inside of your brain and then you will be able to perceive the satan pedo vampires that control reality.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Ralph Crammed In posted:

This guy had a fever dream in which he conflated Max Rebo with Luke, happens to the best of us, and doesn't understand that his mom is remembering his memory and perspective.

But this Bigger Luke is some premium internet. I can't tell if I am getting Poe's Lawed or not - http://biggerluke.wikidot.com/bigger-luke

Movies that you only saw with a high fever as a child are some crazy poo poo, though.

For me it's Barabbas.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

ReidRansom posted:

Smaller Han? I’ve never heard anything so stupid

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

RoboRodent posted:

Movies that you only saw with a high fever as a child are some crazy poo poo, though.

For me it's Barabbas.

My dad rented City of Lost children for me when I was eight and home with a fever.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Piell posted:

Because Smaller Han is an insane theory, whereas Bigger Luke is just plain truth

Smaller Han came from his body contracting when he was frozen in carbonite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

RoboRodent posted:

For me it's Barabbas.

we had a free Disney Channel weekend when I was sick as a little kid once and 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea can piss up a rope. Somehow I was ok with Davy Crockett and The Love Bug, but giant squid with a fever? NO.

I’ve seen The Mask a million times as a kid, but watched it when I had a nasty flu at 17. A terrible decision, and I forced myself to go to a con the next day, which felt more safer.