Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Come to think of it, I only listened to the second half of the books as audio books :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Brolander posted:

I can see thinking "it can't just be Loyal, can it? That's too on the nose"

I was confused for a while when the character was introduced for exactly that reason.

As an aside: I'm weirdly fond of the pronunciation guides given in the glossary, because RJ clearly did not follow any pre-existing phonetic style. He just came up with his own, based on generic American pronunciations, and committed fully to it (which is the only possible way to do a pronunciation guide).

Some examples from the glossary for the first book:

The Eye of the World, Glossary posted:

Adan, Heran (ay-DAN, HEH-ran)
Aes Sedai (EYEZ seh-DEYE) [This one is tied with another as my favorite.]
Aiel (eye-EEL)
al'Thor, Rand (ahl-THOR, RAND)
al'Vere, Egwene (ahl-VEER, eh-GWAIN)
Moiraine (mwah-RAIN)
Min (MIN) [This is the other contender for favorite.]

"How do I unambiguously indicate the sound of the letter 'I'? I know, the word eye."
"Maybe people will be confused about Min's name somehow. It's Min. I should let them know."

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Vavrek posted:

I was confused for a while when the character was introduced for exactly that reason.

As an aside: I'm weirdly fond of the pronunciation guides given in the glossary, because RJ clearly did not follow any pre-existing phonetic style. He just came up with his own, based on generic American pronunciations, and committed fully to it (which is the only possible way to do a pronunciation guide).

"How do I unambiguously indicate the sound of the letter 'I'? I know, the word eye."
"Maybe people will be confused about Min's name somehow. It's Min. I should let them know."

Huh?

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Vavrek posted:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Vavrek posted:

Moiraine (mwah-RAIN)
This made me go "Wait, that's not how you pronounce moraine though?" and that's is how I learned that the character's name is not the English word "moraine".

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Torrannor posted:

The list of named characters in WoT is absurdly long, especially female channelers and random nobles. You can easily cut the number of Saidar users in half and still end up with a cast that has more women than men. There are also insane things like the characters Perival and Pelivar, who are both Andoran high seats. So two of the 12 most powerful nobles in Andor have near identical names, which is just bad. Combining or outright eliminating a lot of characters is a necessity for a TV adaption, and wouldn't have hurt the book series either.

How do historians know who all the different Roberts of history are? Like, are they all different people, or the same person? :iiam:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Collateral posted:

How do historians know who all the different Roberts of history are? Like, are they all different people, or the same person? :iiam:

Yeah, literally the last criticism I'd ever throw at a fantasy book is that two characters have the same or very similar names, especially not when they're from the same country. "Nobody ever has the same name twice" is about the least realistic thing in fiction.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

WoT has like three completely unrelated Huans as I recall.

It’s one of those fiction things, where for some reason it just seems confusing and implausible to have multiple characters with the same name, and most books bend over backward to avoid it, but it happens in real life all the time

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Sep 12, 2021

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

All I want is to see three scenes, I don't care if they change everything/cancel the series: 1. when Rand becomes an Aiel clan leader and experiences a series of flashbacks that show the history of the Aiel backwards until the Breaking, 2. when Rand meets Lanfear in book 2, and 3. when Mat accidentally defeats the Shaido and kills their clan leader

I bet they cut Lanfear though :(

edit: actually I also hope they effectively show Ishamael's motive, that following the Dark One makes logical sense because he only needs to win once, and after that will break the Wheel forever

Upgrade fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Sep 12, 2021

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Also they need to leave SOME braid tugging in.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Don't forget the skirt smoothing, or w/e.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
It's a different turning of the wheel, it's all skirt-tugging and braid-smoothing this time.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Killer robot posted:

It's a different turning of the wheel, it's all skirt-tugging and braid-smoothing this time.

Unfortunately in order to make room for skirt-tugging and braid-smoothing they had to remove all sniffing

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I want to be sure that the TV show aptly portrays every one of the 5,262 innkeepers we encounter as "bustling".

o poo poo is that a spoiler

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

I really hope they capture the spirit of Nynaeve judging hussy city girls like Elaine! No girl from Two Rivers would EVER [insert action]

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Upgrade posted:

I really hope they capture the spirit of Nynaeve judging hussy city girls like Elaine! No girl from Two Rivers would EVER [insert action]

Oh god the non-book-reader internet is totally going to go all Skylar White on Nynaeve isn't it?

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

no, I am sure one of the first things to be cut was Nynaee being an insane insufferable monster 24/7

although I do expect at least one conversation where all the male characters are like "I DONT UNDERSTAND WOMEN!!" at the same time all the female characters are having a conversation about "I DONT UNDERSTAND MEN!!"

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The books' extensive use of ironic interiority as a source of characterization is sure to have been one of the big challenges in this adaptation.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Upgrade posted:

Also they need to leave SOME braid tugging in.

Why would they cast Nynaeve and then cut her character?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Data Graham posted:

I want to be sure that the TV show aptly portrays every one of the 5,262 innkeepers we encounter as "bustling".

o poo poo is that a spoiler

They also need to make sure every innkeeper is fat and jolly except for one. You know the one.

Upgrade posted:

All I want is to see three scenes, I don't care if they change everything/cancel the series: 1. when Rand becomes an Aiel clan leader and experiences a series of flashbacks that show the history of the Aiel backwards until the Breaking, 2. when Rand meets Lanfear in book 2, and 3. when Mat accidentally defeats the Shaido and kills their clan leader

edit: actually I also hope they effectively show Ishamael's motive, that following the Dark One makes logical sense because he only needs to win once, and after that will break the Wheel forever

There's about zero chance they cut Lanfear when the totality of the end of book 5 is one of the best 10 chapters in a row in the entirety of Wheel of Time.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Sep 12, 2021

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I hope they cut all the bad bits and keep all the good bits

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm just excited for world's best unboxing video, eventually :haw:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
All good questions, but will the show finally explain what a seven horse hitch is?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

All good questions, but will the show finally explain what a seven horse hitch is?

Nine

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Upgrade posted:

Why would they cut any of the Forsaken, they're all badass minibosses that would be perfect for a serialized show. Well...looking at the wiki I guess I could see them getting consolidated a bit, but not Lanfear

My personal hope is that the show does not cut Easing the Badger. They better show that sign!

robot roll call fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Sep 13, 2021

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Just saw this relevant video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyxie4aUgEE

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Oasx posted:

As long as they cut Faile from the show I will be happy.

I will never understand this idea of "I want them to cut a central character who is present for 80% of the series who is a major source of motivation and growth for a core protagonist because the character annoys me".

Sure I'd love to see some adjustments to the character and the arcs around that character, but cutting a core person is just an asinine request to even consider.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

People have been being weird weirds about Faile for decades, i never understood it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

IRQ posted:

People have been being weird weirds about Faile for decades, i never understood it.

She's a woman and she's independent

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

IRQ posted:

Did you ever have a friend who followed his girlfriend around like a puppy while she treated him like poo poo, but he wouldn't hear a word against her when you talked to him about it?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Maybe we should talk about characters and relationships that aren't in book 1 in the Book Barn thread

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
maybe we need some sort of group of people with special powers to mediate

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

y'all literally breaking records here and going into stuff that probably won't even be in SEASON one at this rate

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Third season looking extremely good.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

https://twitter.com/ST00LI/status/1433586146597085190?s=20

I mean, fair. I think people are just used to fantasy being grimdark. Wheel of Time predates that trend, so this is appropriate coloring etc.

Plus the real answer is that wheel of time should be an anime anyway but if they're gonna do live action it might as well be colorful live action

Anything pre 20th century in movies, whether historical or fantasy, is way too dark. People have always liked bright colors and they often used more bright colors then we would ever consider fashionable today.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

feedmyleg posted:

I want fantasy shows to look like the fantasy art I grew up with. Bright, colorful, clean, weird. If anything, it's the last one that these shows never really hit for me. But dirt and grime? Why should realism be the goal with fantasy? This show doesn't take place in medieval Europe and has no need for historical accuracy because that term doesn't apply to this world. The grime worked for Game of Thrones because that show was about the ugliness inherent to that world. I don't want "grounded" fantasy. I want fantastical fantasy.

Also, people in real life didn't like being dirty. Not even peasant farmers and the urban mob. Everyone took baths as often as they could get them, except for a small post Black Death period in some parts of Europe when people suspected communal bathing was a mode of transmission.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I thought I was in the other thread :negative:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Rarity posted:

I thought I was in the other thread :negative:

The other thread at least now has [SPOILERS] in the thread title.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Open Source Idiom posted:

Hiring writers with experience (or perhaps not firing the two writers with experience) instead of surrounding yourself with a boys club of people with far less privilege than you, who directly owe you for their big breaks in the industry, might be a feasible third option?

Siri tell me you don’t know poo poo how staffing writing for Hollywood works without telling me….

Also, gently caress anyone attacking Dave Hill. His season 8 episode is one of the best of the whole series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I had forgotten this was going to be a thing and now I'm exploding with hype at 3am on a work day