Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huLGffRVH1s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boloney
May 29, 2021
I hope they eventually add a proper way to dig caves. Let me have a basement

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Why did they add a disgusting vomit animation? Is vomiting tied into Viking culture or mythology? I guess it's not like I have to use it, but that's certainly an interesting creative choice.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Bioshuffle posted:

Why did they add a disgusting vomit animation? Is vomiting tied into Viking culture or mythology? I guess it's not like I have to use it, but that's certainly an interesting creative choice.

It's actually been in the game since day 1! Its /puke I think

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Differentiated food items, perfect for taking up already limited inventory slots :rolleyes:

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
I dont wanna eat dog meat, I like dogs :(

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Blaise330 posted:

I dont wanna eat dog meat, I like dogs :(

insert running dad meme here

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

PittTheElder posted:

Differentiated food items, perfect for taking up already limited inventory slots :rolleyes:

Yeah this was my first thought too. I don't give a poo poo about the new food stuff if it means that i'm actively avoiding it so i can actually have inventory space.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Looks like they changed how the hearth looks? Or added a different hearth just for cooking.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Reik posted:

Looks like they changed how the hearth looks? Or added a different hearth just for cooking.

Are you referring to the oven?

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

dogstile posted:

Yeah this was my first thought too. I don't give a poo poo about the new food stuff if it means that i'm actively avoiding it so i can actually have inventory space.

I guess we'll have to see, but they at least seem to think that splitting the new food stuffs will allow one to specialize in stamina vs health so one wouldn't necessarily be trying to do both all the time. I'm actively avoiding some food stuffs already before hearth and home. But that's a good point. I'd sure be nice if they added a pickup filter (yes I know there is already a mod for that).

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Give me a backpack that I can wear instead of a cape.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Floppychop posted:

Are you referring to the oven?

Is this what a hearth looks like today? I might just be dumb.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Reik posted:

Is this what a hearth looks like today? I might just be dumb.

That's the one we have now, it just has a cauldron and cooking spit on top of it.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Floppychop posted:

That's the one we have now, it just has a cauldron and cooking spit on top of it.

The stone looks different, right?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
That does look different, yeah.

As for the food vs. inventory space thing, it's not gonna matter. I'll decide which three foods I'm gonna go with for the moment, and then I'll carry stacks of those. Same as before.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
Do saplings turn into regular trees, or do regular trees just pop up from seedlings? I've seen it happen from seedlings when I use a portal or run faster than objects are loading, but im not positive it's exclusive to them. I usually clear out saplings near my bases to make it easier to spot deer, but I would leave them alone if I knew they grew into full trees.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

BrianRx posted:

Do saplings turn into regular trees, or do regular trees just pop up from seedlings? I've seen it happen from seedlings when I use a portal or run faster than objects are loading, but im not positive it's exclusive to them. I usually clear out saplings near my bases to make it easier to spot deer, but I would leave them alone if I knew they grew into full trees.

Seedlings turn into saplings, turn into trees, but if you've been out of an area long enough, when you portal in they will skip the intermediate step, AIUI.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

boloney posted:

I hope they eventually add a proper way to dig caves. Let me have a basement

I mean, I decided I wanted to do my metalwork in a basement only after I’d already built my hall. Because I’d built on raised ground near the sea, I just tunnelled under the building and made the basement workshop walls out of stone to support the floor above, it’s great. I have some Frank Lloyd Wright plans for the second floor, but I think support will be an issue without iron wood.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Last spotlight video, showing two weapons tweaks. It does mention all weapons got a rebalancing though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6sdnF2S8hY

I might actually use the two handed axes now, hopefully they're viable.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Looking back at the other videos it’s kind of weird that they’re tying how well shields work to maximum health but since everything else combat (besides taking hits of course) is tied to stamina I can understand the decision.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Are y'all stockpiling any materials ahead of the launch? I still haven't gotten my group together to beat Moder, so I'm going to see if I can get that done, and collect some more iron and finewood.

Someone mentioned basements? Here's mine.

I carved out an area beneath the main compound so I could declutter the main floor. Figured may as well have some fun with it.

Bioshuffle fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Sep 8, 2021

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Bear in mind it's relatively unlikely, IIRC, that a world will be transferrable to the new update. My recollection from the last update is you couldn't move stuff over.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

Bear in mind it's relatively unlikely, IIRC, that a world will be transferrable to the new update. My recollection from the last update is you couldn't move stuff over.

I thought they said worlds would likely be, but only unexplored areas would update.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Ravenfood posted:

I thought they said worlds would likely be, but only unexplored areas would update.

Yeah, as long as you don't explore ashlands, deep north, and mistlands until they update you should be good to stick on the same world.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

Bioshuffle posted:

Are y'all stockpiling any materials ahead of the launch?

Honestly just the opposite. I'm holding off playing and then will want to jump on a fresh server once it launches. I like to restart after updates with a clean slate.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
We'll all get a few days' break from Valheim after the patch drops while we wait for the mods to be fixed.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Normally when a patch drops for a game I take it as a chance to play vanilla again, but the QoL mods in Valheim are so huge.

The main ones I would really miss are the one that adds slots for worn gear and dedicated hotkeys for potions, a harvest/replant one, and crafting pulling from nearby crates.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Floppychop posted:

Normally when a patch drops for a game I take it as a chance to play vanilla again, but the QoL mods in Valheim are so huge.

The main ones I would really miss are the one that adds slots for worn gear and dedicated hotkeys for potions, a harvest/replant one, and crafting pulling from nearby crates.

I am really tempted to try out some QoL mods. My initial concern was losing the game save or something ridiculous like that, but that doesn't really seem to be an issue.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Valheim saves are extremely easy to back up once you find their folder.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

I've just started watching this so I don't know exactly whats in it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUxrOEVMoUQ

Someone on the subreddit posted this:

quote:

Notes (not chronological):

About the update:

This is "heart and home" update, not "combat and explore". Gives a basis for more changes to those other parts of the game in future updates.
Heart and Home development started around May. Before that was all bug fixes and performance tweaks. That was needed before new content work could start.
started as mostly rebalancing and adding food (more stuff in Mountains), but gradually other things that didn't fit the next (Mistlands) update also made it in.
Once new stuff is in, that pulls in other necessary things in turn. So small ideas often mushroom into a lot of content.
Everything has to have a purpose. That's the basis of good game design.
Sometimes it's there just because it's cool: "Wouldn't be cool with a land of mist? And it would be called something like, uh, Mistlands?"
Black metal is greenish because it's owned by fulings.
Everything is rebalanced. Not harder or easier but feel better and more natural. Not final - will likely be rebalanced and tweaked still.
If your weapon or something now feels very wrong, report it so it can be changed. This is what Early Access is about.
Richards (originator/owner) vision still guides all changes and development.
Can just continue playing existing world and you will have new content in unexplored areas (500+ meters away from where you've been).
Rickard still hopes people will start a new world, as that will give you the best experience. Don't spoil yourself by checking new build build pieces in old world. See them fresh in a new one.

New stuff:

new food, new build pieces.
1-2 new weapon (two-handed axe) and shield. 1-2 new skills.
New UI, new map stuff, new game settings.
couple new Plains buildings/things

New mechanics:

playstyle choice: multiple equally good foods with different balance of HP and stamina (don't have that now).
Game a little less stamina dependent. HP affects stagger now (high HP gives more stagger?)
Weapons rebalanced so multiple different weapons eqaually good but different playstyle.
knives much faster; now viable weapon.
axes now a bit slower but more powerful compared to swords. New two-handed axe.
current highlights have shown ~50% of new content.

About the future:

Mistlands update will be larger, but they also have more people to work on it.
after Mistlands at least another two major biome updates. New ships, lots of other stuff.
Small updates will happen along the big update development.
Game will eventually have an ending. Not really meant to be played forever.
not adding content for the sake of adding content or keeping people engaged. Everything must fit the game arc.
Mac version work might start in the near future. Consoles maybe not until the game is finished (though that attitude is changing). Likely for 1.0 release, most likely 2+ years.

pik_d fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Sep 13, 2021

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I've got a sever that we've been playing for tens of hours and we've only been attacked once, at the very start. No mods, and we're playing quite conventionally so it's not because we aren't advancing the game or not meeting the requirements or anything like that.

Short of fussing with mods, does anyone know of maybe some console commands I could use to manually spawn a raid in? Or any other advice? I did just restart the server for the first time ever so maybe its fixed and I'm just a dummy.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

pik_d posted:

I've just started watching this so I don't know exactly whats in it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUxrOEVMoUQ

Feels weird that they are adding more to the plains, it feels like the plains already has plenty of stuff that require you to colonize it in a way that none of the other biomes do. Really would like to see the mountains get beefed up a bunch, it has the least depth of any of the biomes (save Ocean, which is barely implemented), and I love building castles up there.

e: I do remember the video where they showed the two-handed crystal axe that makes me hopeful that farming elementals or drake nests might be a thing at least.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Jack B Nimble posted:

I've got a sever that we've been playing for tens of hours and we've only been attacked once, at the very start. No mods, and we're playing quite conventionally so it's not because we aren't advancing the game or not meeting the requirements or anything like that.

Short of fussing with mods, does anyone know of maybe some console commands I could use to manually spawn a raid in? Or any other advice? I did just restart the server for the first time ever so maybe its fixed and I'm just a dummy.

Raid/Event mechanics: Events have a 20% chance of starting every 46 minutes if there is a player within 40 meters of at least 3 base structures (except for the "You are being hunted..." event which doesn't require player base). The event is randomly selected from available events.

They're not meant to happen that often, but you do need to be near the base at the right time for them to trigger for the most part. If someone is always at your base you'd expect to get 1 raid event every 3 hours 50 minutes of play time, statistically speaking.

As far as commands, the ones you want to use are

devcommands
-to enable using commands

event [name] - Starts the named event.
randomevent - Starts a random event.
stopevent - Stops the current event.
killall - Kills all nearby enemies and creatures (including tamed creatures).

I don't know if randomevent chooses from only the ones that you should get or from all available in the game. Use stopevent if you get little green men.

The names you can use for the chosen event one are broken up into 2 groups

army_eikthyr
army_theelder
army_bonemass
army_moder
army_goblin
-the previous 5 are meant to happen before you beat the 5 bosses that go with them

foresttrolls
blobs
skeletons
surtlings
wolves
-these 5 are all activated around when you defeat the 3rd boss (except trolls, which is when you defeat the 2nd boss), so should in theory be manageable if you're at that point.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Thanks, if the server restart doesn't fix it I'll start spawning them up. I played through the game on a previous server and the difference between then and now is absolute; I'm not exaggerating to say there hasn't been a single raid after the first.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Sep 13, 2021

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Jack B Nimble posted:

Thanks, if the server restart doesn't fix it I'll start spawning them up. I played through the game on a previous server and the difference between then and now is absolute; I'm not exaggerating to say their hasn't been a single raid after the first.

I honestly feel like you're just getting unlucky. Its a small chance that happens not that often. I know it feels like something is broken but it's almost certainly just rolling "no" more often than you'd normally expect. I played solo and went quite a while between raids, but part of that was because I wasn't at base that often.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
People are bad about probability so that could be it, but damnit, I would have liked ONE raid from the Black Forest before we took out that boss.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

https://twitter.com/Valheimgame/status/1438119406983393292?s=19

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
How do you back up worlds? I've got a really nice stave church I'm proud of I don't want to lose but I'm tempted to start a new world too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Ravenfood posted:

How do you back up worlds? I've got a really nice stave church I'm proud of I don't want to lose but I'm tempted to start a new world too.

They should be in the following folder

C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\LocalLow\IronGate\Valheim\worlds

Just copy the files to another location