Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

AirRaid posted:

Why do you need to place a minotaur bay? I could spawn one right off the bat without a bay. I only had to build a bay for other exocraft (I think i unlocked the ability to call the bike later from one of the objectives)

You got lucky. The game seems to mis-associate "other people's exobays" with you in some situations, which is why some people were just immediately able to call down minotaurs or pilgrims the instant they started the expedition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Libluini posted:

I couldn't

Yeah same, I couldn't summon any exocraft without building the thing first.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

You got lucky. The game seems to mis-associate "other people's exobays" with you in some situations, which is why some people were just immediately able to call down minotaurs or pilgrims the instant they started the expedition

I assume that's also the reason for the error saying you can't build more than 5 exobays when you haven't built any.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

marktheando posted:

Yeah same, I couldn't summon any exocraft without building the thing first.

I assume that's also the reason for the error saying you can't build more than 5 exobays when you haven't built any.

At least I suddenly could build the Roamer, which also gave me the mission reward for the Minotaur. I used my reward from another mission to buy refiner-blueprints, build a medium refiner and refined some Paraffinium since that's another thing that's not available locally. Cue my surprise when I was allowed to put down the Roamer-bay right next door!

Now I'm on my way to a Trading Post, because visiting that one will give me the blueprints to make Herox, which means another step solved on my way off this forsaken hell hole

Edit:

Sometimes this game is dumb in the most awesome way: I just survived my Roamer falling through the geometry into the netherworldly ocean below, by ejecting and blasting invisible walls with my terrain manipulator until I could get out. On the other side, I just re-summoned my exocraft and continued on my merry way.

Later the game took some petty revenge by letting my save point drop through the ground, so I had to forge a new one. gently caress you to, game.

To give some context: This planet here is mostly giant mountains, covered with endless fields of thick mushrooms, interspersed with tons of lakes of various sizes. There are also an incredible amount of caves and sinkholes connecting to them. The perfect shitstorm for exocraft. I've already ended up underground with my Roamer multiple times, and had to leg it back outside to get my space car running again. :v:

Libluini fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Sep 12, 2021

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Someone on Reddit suggested that going to another galaxy via travelling through the centre fixes settlements that aren’t getting decisions, I’ve just done it and it works, immediately got the event to make my first building and a couple others shortly after. After days of no events.

Just teleported back to my base in the centre of the first galaxy, went through the centre (making sure to not use my good ship and multi tool) and immediately left the planet and teleported back to my settlement.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Wow, welp.

To be honest i don't think I even used the MInotaur that much, I hate it. The Roamer was far more useful to me in terms of getting around and getting the stuff i needed to get off planet.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Reading everyone's challenges in finding herox makes me feel like kind of a shithead for finding two glowing minerals and save-scumming them til they gave out a herox.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
I've got 9 of the 10 critters for the Expedition, 2 Flying, 2 Underwater and 5 ground - anyone who's completed the milestone - what am I missing?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
apropos of nothing, if anyone wants to do this expedition without the congestion jank, hit me up and I can just hand you the poo poo to repair your ship so you can leave the planet and go do the rest of the expedition requirements Somewhere Else

(you'll probably need to jump in your ship and make a note of your coordinates on-planet, the place is so hosed that even in the same group it doesn't seem to reliably show other people if you're not close to them)

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

ZombyDog posted:

I've got 9 of the 10 critters for the Expedition, 2 Flying, 2 Underwater and 5 ground - anyone who's completed the milestone - what am I missing?

if you look at your discovery log it'll tell you the type of the one you're missing, but there should be 3 underwater animals and all of them have 6 legs so they probably look similar at a distance

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

ZombyDog posted:

another rare underwater preying mantis thing.

e;f;b

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
There's only 9 entries for Fauna in my Discovery log ( I was under the impression that undiscovered ones propagated the list if they were in the vicinity of a scan but you hadn't scanned them yet ), anyways thanks I'll keep searching the water.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

i had the same problem. if you select the bottom entry with your mouse (if on pc) and arrow down once, it'll show up.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

ZombyDog posted:

There's only 9 entries for Fauna in my Discovery log ( I was under the impression that undiscovered ones propagated the list if they were in the vicinity of a scan but you hadn't scanned them yet ), anyways thanks I'll keep searching the water.

The page by default shows 9 entries, if you hit d-pad down once the last one should be there-- assuming my "savegame that barely touched the planet and is showing 0/10 Fauna Discovered" is accurate, anyways

efb etc etc

it's always exciting to see what issues are "poor UX" and what are just straight up weird bugs, every problem procedural

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I set up a couple of bases on the expedition planet for anybody to use. "Free silver" has a communications ball with the herox recipe, a large refiner, and a trade terminal. "Free copper" has a large refiner. Both have teleporters.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope
Slick looking silver fighter off twitch drops, get it before you can't anymore.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Having multiplayer on gave me good feelings at first in the expo, people were coming and visiting and saying hi . . . but then I got into a point where someone circled bases completely around my starting base, which meant I couldn't do the mining challenge . . .so I moved up to another planet . . . it is a nice place, all the plants give a ton of carbon. Unfortunately someone decided to chain murder me from the sky. That definitely soured my experience. Overall

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Turning PVP off explicitly is recommended and I don't know what hippie utopian headspace sean is living in that it still isn't the default

I've had multiple instances now of people bugging out the anomaly to let them fly their ship in and strafe people on the ground with the ship shotgun

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004
Patch 3.66 is live on steam

https://www.nomanssky.com/2021/09/frontiers-patch-3-66/

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

CheeseSpawn posted:

Slick looking silver fighter off twitch drops, get it before you can't anymore.

Welp, looks like I have a Twitch account now. drat I feel old, how many boats have I missed...
The ships not going to replace my LEGO blue fighter, but I'll get my first flying companion.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Is there any way to get that slim backpack from expedition 1? Or do I have to hope it rotates into the quicksilver vendor at some point?

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Without editing your save, no.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

PeePot posted:

Welp, looks like I have a Twitch account now. drat I feel old, how many boats have I missed...
The ships not going to replace my LEGO blue fighter, but I'll get my first flying companion.

Go to Tik Tok next. It's good if you give yourself to the 'rithim.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

MrGreenShirt posted:

Whelp, settlement tells me there's a building decision to make and when I go to choose it shows me a quarter second of placeholder variables as options and spits me out of the menu.

Guess I'll wait for the next patch to drop :shrug:

It was doing this for me pre-patch and is no longer post-patch, although the "construction opportunity" it claimed to be was a dispute so that may have been the issue in the first place

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR

quote:

Fixed an issue that could prevent players from being able to place some base parts (such as save points or Exocraft Geobays) within protected areas on the expedition planet.

Guessing that will help a lot of people. Also fixed a bug where exocraft scans weren’t finding buildings closer

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Haha I grinded this weekend until my ship components were completely fixed and built a base in a separate star system so I could build a minotaur geobay. I was not able to summon one and had zero luck finding a neighboring base with a geobay. Oh well, I think I still took the same amount of time I would've to clear the season. Apart for the big injections of cash and nanomachine clusters, I didn't feel like the seasonal step unlocks were huge contributors to progress.

In other news of my unsolicited opinions, wow is settlement management loving boring and unrewarding.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
Do settlements just not spawn on moons? I have my base on a good moon that isn't trying to murder me every 5 minutes and every time I use a chart it sends me to either Planet Bullshit or Everything Is On Fire.

Also the last time I played was before water planets and imagine my suprise when the Artemis storyline makes you deal with one. Have been spending a lot of time trying to get the sub so I can go back without terrible problems!

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

It was doing this for me pre-patch and is no longer post-patch, although the "construction opportunity" it claimed to be was a dispute so that may have been the issue in the first place

Hah yeah, ditto.

I've also noticed besides the new merchants and teleportal, there are finally members of the other two races walking around. Really makes the place seem a little more fleshed out.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

LegionAreI posted:

Do settlements just not spawn on moons? I have my base on a good moon that isn't trying to murder me every 5 minutes and every time I use a chart it sends me to either Planet Bullshit or Everything Is On Fire.

Also the last time I played was before water planets and imagine my suprise when the Artemis storyline makes you deal with one. Have been spending a lot of time trying to get the sub so I can go back without terrible problems!

I haven't seen a planet without a hazard since like 2017.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

5er posted:

I haven't seen a planet without a hazard since like 2017.

One of the streams I was watching today seemed to find a paradise planet with chill animals. Usually that is the problem with paradise planet is they have aggressive predators.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
there's a chart with the exact chances but the rule of thumb is "yellow sun system, planet with non-activated copper, in a lush galaxy, in normal mode (not survival, not permadeath)" if you want to maximize your chance of finding a no-poo poo paradise planet. sometimes you can get lucky and find a planets that generate in weird ways like "the storms don't actually drain your hazard shield" but you'll need to do some serious exploring for it

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Dead planets and exotics also tend to come without those nasty storms.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Rick posted:

One of the streams I was watching today seemed to find a paradise planet with chill animals. Usually that is the problem with paradise planet is they have aggressive predators.
I have a farm base on a paradise planet that says it has scalding storms but it's never spawned one. There are also no predators (I've scanned everything). However, I discovered this place a long time ago so it's probably adhering to old rules.

e: How do you claim the ship? I got my other stuff at the Nexus, but no ship. I have an available slot (own 5) and Twitch is showing I have it.

In other news, you can now have flying critters for pets! I landed on a paradise world that had gigantic moths fluttering around and got the option to feed it. So I did and adopted it and now I have a flying pet I can ride. Gonna get it to lay an egg and then make it gigantic :3:

SubponticatePoster fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Sep 15, 2021

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Got everything but the Rocketman milestone now. I've tried jumping off the highest mountain I can find (with all the jetpack upgrades including the "recharge while falling" one) which didn't work. Next I think I'll try just boosting as high as possible from the same peak and hope for enough fall/recharge time

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Nullsmack posted:

The really really cheaty way to get this is:
1. Build 2 walls and a ceiling so that you have a corner.
2. Stand in the corner
3. Hold down your jetpack button for 30s.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Yes but that is extremely boring, I want to jump off a mountain

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Got everything but the Rocketman milestone now. I've tried jumping off the highest mountain I can find (with all the jetpack upgrades including the "recharge while falling" one) which didn't work. Next I think I'll try just boosting as high as possible from the same peak and hope for enough fall/recharge time

My current troubles are this one and the one demanding flight acrobatics with your ship near the ground. But both counters remain at zero regardless of what I'm doing, I think those missions may be bugged.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Libluini posted:

My current troubles are this one and the one demanding flight acrobatics with your ship near the ground. But both counters remain at zero regardless of what I'm doing, I think those missions may be bugged.

I found with that one the best thing to do is hug the water, it gives you consistent low elevation.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

This can be cheesed with building two high wall and roof in your base and abusing the jetpack against the wall. In a previous expedition it was cheesed by also sitting in a chair for 30 seconds.

Libluini posted:

flight acrobactics is basically just afterburning with left poo poo while hugging the surface of the planet.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

I got this by doing the peak challenge, since apparently if you're near land your jetpack is infinite. The peaks to get the "climb a mountain over 650u" are basically points so you're just boosting for full minutes going straight up hugging the "ground".

You can absolutely jump off afterwards but I think you need to be actually using your jetpack for 30s for whatever reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

CheeseSpawn posted:

This can be cheesed with building two high wall and roof in your base and abusing the jetpack against the wall.

Yes but that is extremely boring, I want to jump off a mountain

DelphiAegis posted:

I got this by doing the peak challenge, since apparently if you're near land your jetpack is infinite. The peaks to get the "climb a mountain over 650u" are basically points so you're just boosting for full minutes going straight up hugging the "ground".

Interesting! I was boosting up the side of the mountain while climbing it and the time counter kept resetting, I guess it counted touching the mountain as landing.