Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
For those of you on older PCs that were scared off by the requirements, seems like it's not such a big deal.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/deathloop-pc-performance-best-settings

Obviously pinch of salt with it being a) RPS and b) very small sample size.

The AMD equivalent of DLSS seems to make a big difference for performance too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Steam let me install the game, I had a Play button, but it still says I can't play it until the US release. This is stupid.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
I wanted to upgrade my CPU before this game came out but unfortunately it didn't work out. Me and my R1600x are in this for a bit longer it seems.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Basic Chunnel posted:

The tepid reception for Prey demands a lot of recompense

Agreed, especially because a lot of the early reviews were soured by technical issues. Luckily that doesn't seem like a problem here.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

poverty goat posted:

Steam let me install the game, I had a Play button, but it still says I can't play it until the US release. This is stupid.

Its a preload, you can cheat with a vpn if you want

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Unlucky7 posted:

You bring up Fallout 3 and 4 as examples earlier, and that was before the Microsoft buyout.

It is well and good to be wary based on outlier reviews, as well as the other factors you mention, but this seems to be a bit conspiratorial.

My point earlier about Fallout 3 and 4 is that they're both terrible games with very high metacritic scores, which is why metacritic scores are less than worthless.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Samopsa posted:

Its a preload, you can cheat with a vpn if you want

I am. It's not working. I've done literally everything. If I go to steam in the browser I see AU prices until I log in, and then it's all US. I repeated the steps a dozen times now, and one single time it let me install the game, but then after it finished it still wouldn't let me launch it.

I've changed my time zone, VPNed both my PC and the steam guard, cleared the steam cache, flushed dns, prayed to jesus. All of those steps, repeated. Nothing works. There's a thread on the deathloop subreddit of people having the same problem, so maybe I'm experiencing some new pilot program or I was flagged for using a vpn in the past. I have no clue.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
I'm not sure if it's just my controller or pc or what, but I'm getting a really annoying deadzone that makes any kind of slow/fine targetting super irritating. Anyone know of a way to disable that deadzone or a workaround?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

poverty goat posted:

I am. It's not working. I've done literally everything. If I go to steam in the browser I see AU prices until I log in, and then it's all US. I repeated the steps a dozen times now, and one single time it let me install the game, but then after it finished it still wouldn't let me launch it.

I've changed my time zone, VPNed both my PC and the steam guard, cleared the steam cache, flushed dns, prayed to jesus. All of those steps, repeated. Nothing works. There's a thread on the deathloop subreddit of people having the same problem, so maybe I'm experiencing some new pilot program or I was flagged for using a vpn in the past. I have no clue.

very weird, I just tried the vpn thing in EU and it unlocked for me, might be that your account is flagged yeah

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Basic Chunnel posted:

Arkane’s never gotten 10/10 syndrome from game journos before, hard to figure why they’d do so now

The game is amazing and IMO the best Arkane have done so possibly because of that.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Jack Trades posted:

My point earlier about Fallout 3 and 4 is that they're both terrible games with very high metacritic scores, which is why metacritic scores are less than worthless.

Yes.

Honestly, I was wary on the game before the reviews, despite me liking the developer, but seeing it got good marks from the sites I frequent was enough for me to take a chance on it.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Lucid Dream posted:

I'm not sure if it's just my controller or pc or what, but I'm getting a really annoying deadzone that makes any kind of slow/fine targetting super irritating. Anyone know of a way to disable that deadzone or a workaround?

In dishonored 2 there was a “friction” setting that was basically deadzone adjustments. Something like that maybe?

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
I'm glad this game won't be too scary with challenging situations and adversaries :( :)

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Finished my first run through Updaam and I'm really enjoying it so far. Hoping the difficulty picks up because currently using a silenced weapon just feels like cheating. It's fun to explore though and the voice acting is great.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Samopsa posted:

very weird, I just tried the vpn thing in EU and it unlocked for me, might be that your account is flagged yeah

I just left everything logged out and went and made a sandwich and did it all from scratch when I got back. And on launch steam started unpacking deathloop automatically. :confuoot:

something cached somewhere had to expire maybe

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

for 4 months nobody would post with us about this game and now overnight lmao

getting excited :hellyeah:

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
There was a fellow in the old Dishonored 2 thread that worked in level design for Arkane. I can't remember your name, but if you're still around (and if you worked on DL) is there any cool stuff you can tell us?

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Lucinice posted:

I wanted to upgrade my CPU before this game came out but unfortunately it didn't work out. Me and my R1600x are in this for a bit longer it seems.

That's nothing, I've had the same i7-3770 for 9 years.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.

Shadowlz posted:

That's nothing, I've had the same i7-3770 for 9 years.

You're a god drat trooper

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
Old processors are fine for most games.

Edit: Wrong thread.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Holding off on my purchase til the Youtube nazi community tells me it’s safe from impure influences

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Mercrom posted:

Old processors are fine for most games.

Edit: Wrong thread.

I upgraded from a 3770k to a 3800x a year and a half ago, bringing a 2070 with me, and the 2070 was like a whole new card w/ much better all around performance in the new pc

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Phoix posted:

Finished my first run through Updaam and I'm really enjoying it so far. Hoping the difficulty picks up because currently using a silenced weapon just feels like cheating. It's fun to explore though and the voice acting is great.

What's Updaam?

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

is this the moment that my PC gets too old to run new games. I guess it had to happen eventually

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Carmant posted:

What's Updaam?

Usually a laake.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Carmant posted:

What's Updaam?

Not much daam what’s up with you

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Initial impressions are great so far - i'm enjoying it alot more than I ever did Dishonored 1 or 2. It has a good sense of humour and Colt and Julianna are well voice casted. I'm also getting a bit of a NOLF vibe from it? If Prey was System Shock 3, then Deathloop is NOLF 3.

Arkanes love of architecture continues - they make amazing looking places.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Communist Bear posted:

I'm also getting a bit of a NOLF vibe from it? If Prey was System Shock 3, then Deathloop is NOLF 3.

I came here to post this. I've not got to play it yet but NOLF was the first thing I thought of when I saw it. If it's anywhere near as funny then they're on to a winner.

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
So PC people...does it stutter?

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

i must compose posted:

So PC people...does it stutter?

No it's been perfectly smooth here - it's no more of a graphic hog than Prey was. Running a 2070 Super here.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
I think I'm going to shelve my VPN fuckery for tonight, just can't get it to unlock.

Using NordVPN, I've mucked about with every setting (barring obfuscated servers, as there don't appear to be any in Australia). IP checkers show me as being in Australia, but the steam store still shows my currency as sterling and I've left the client for 15mins+ and still no unlocking.

Oh well.

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.

Communist Bear posted:

No it's been perfectly smooth here - it's no more of a graphic hog than Prey was. Running a 2070 Super here.

So I'll be good with an R5 3600 and a 3080 you think? I know that some stuff doesn't like my CPU.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Private Internet Access worked a charm. I jumped over to NZ and am unpacking now.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I'm in EU, bought the game a few hours ago and downloaded it as normal. Just now got a 24-Hour trial of CyberGhost 8 VPN, shut down Steam completely, activated the VPN and selected Australia, opened Steam back up and the game started unpacking. Not exactly great info for those struggling I guess but hey maybe it will help someone

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Communist Bear posted:

I'm also getting a bit of a NOLF vibe from it? If Prey was System Shock 3, then Deathloop is NOLF 3.

Well now if that isn't a great recommendation I don't know what is

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Communist Bear posted:

I am a pleb with a 1070. Am I screwed? :(

EDIT: This is on a 1440p monitor. Prey gives me no trouble.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Sep 13, 2021

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

The Vile Stuff posted:

I think I'm going to shelve my VPN fuckery for tonight, just can't get it to unlock.

Using NordVPN, I've mucked about with every setting (barring obfuscated servers, as there don't appear to be any in Australia). IP checkers show me as being in Australia, but the steam store still shows my currency as sterling and I've left the client for 15mins+ and still no unlocking.

Oh well.

Are you logged into steam on any other computers? VPN fuckery didn't work on my PC until I logged out of steam on my laptop first.
Now it's unpacking :f5:

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Unlucky7 posted:

I don't know, probably not? I'm on very high with ray tracing off I think and not noticing any issues? I'll try tinkering and see what happens.

Communist Bear fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Sep 13, 2021

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Unlucky7 posted:

It's very different tech, Prey was Cryengine but Deathloop is using the in-house engine from Dishonored 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Looks like you can only invade during the first few minutes of someone's run.