Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

ZeeBoi posted:

My completely anecdotal experience of an advance poll at a library I went to on Saturday afternoon is that there were not a lot of people waiting to vote.

Quite the opposite situation here, with people complaining about long lines (and staff not wearing masks properly)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Ego-bot posted:

https://twitter.com/Emilie_Ni/status/1437190851248201730?s=20

Nice of O'Toole to give the Liberals something to run on during the next week.

Ah yes, the constitution, that document that famously permits the government to restrict a woman's right to the security of her person.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

Ah yes, the constitution, that document that famously permits the government to restrict a woman's right to the security of her person.

Could it be done with the derogatory clause?

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Ego-bot posted:

https://twitter.com/Emilie_Ni/status/1437190851248201730?s=20

Nice of O'Toole to give the Liberals something to run on during the next week.
Have the Liberals done *anything* about abortion? Still no clinics in the North, PEI, Nova Scotia, Sask, right? This literally sounds like their policy as well, they just never talk about it. O'Toole even says he's pro choice and that criminal code and medical access are federal jurisdiction.

Also the question is more broad, reporter asks what O'Toole would do if a province passed legislation about like "workers' rights, say, or access to abortion" and he basically talks about how provinces should have jurisdiction over the things they have jurisdiction over. The tweet someone manages to mangle and ignore the context while including the clip, which is impressive.

O'Toole sucks, we don't need to make up bullshit about him.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Well it's like you allude to earlier in your post - they have to make up stuff because in reality there's no substantial difference between a grit and a tory

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

It's loving wild to me that the conservative premieres across the country are underwater on every loving poll for their poo poo policies and overt hatred of their own constituents and they represent the past, present, and future of the federal conservative party and yet somehow this election is 'close'.

It's all so loving stupid and I'm so very tired of everything sucking.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Trapick posted:

Have the Liberals done *anything* about abortion? Still no clinics in the North, PEI, Nova Scotia, Sask, right? This literally sounds like their policy as well, they just never talk about it. O'Toole even says he's pro choice and that criminal code and medical access are federal jurisdiction.

Also the question is more broad, reporter asks what O'Toole would do if a province passed legislation about like "workers' rights, say, or access to abortion" and he basically talks about how provinces should have jurisdiction over the things they have jurisdiction over. The tweet someone manages to mangle and ignore the context while including the clip, which is impressive.

They did at least threaten to pull money from NB's health transfer when they shut down their clinic.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Pleads posted:

It's loving wild to me that the conservative premieres across the country are underwater on every loving poll for their poo poo policies and overt hatred of their own constituents and they represent the past, present, and future of the federal conservative party and yet somehow this election is 'close'.

And since everyone has the memory of a goldfish and the other parties are largely weak and ineffectual we will probably have conservative premiers getting re-elected too.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Pleads posted:

Doug Ford being elected in Ontario kinda gave me big "nothing matters" vibes. Just so many people vote right no matter who or what.

Kraftwerk posted:

And since everyone has the memory of a goldfish and the other parties are largely weak and ineffectual we will probably have conservative premiers getting re-elected too.
Feels like goldfish memory only applies to the PCs, because boy do I always have to hear about how the ONDP hosed up that one time or whatever.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

The Harris government did way more to gently caress up the province but I will never hear endlessly about Rae Days.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Oxyclean posted:

Doug Ford being elected in Ontario kinda gave me big "nothing matters" vibes. Just so many people vote right no matter who or what.

Feels like goldfish memory only applies to the PCs, because boy do I always have to hear about how the ONDP hosed up that one time or whatever.

I wonder if people born after the early 90s think Rae Days were like mass genocide or something given the way people talk about them like they're the darkest moment in Ontario's history.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

UnknownMercenary posted:

The Harris government did way more to gently caress up the province but I will never hear endlessly about Rae Days.

It's the media. They seared that poo poo into genetic memory for all who live in Ontario. If the NDP ever win a major industrial/financial center again we are in for a vicious smear campaign.

Quietly axing social programs while engaging in a program of aggressive privatization of public funds is something you can easily gloss over as a journalist and nobody notices.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Pleads posted:

Buckle the gently caress up! This poo poo ain't stopping

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I can't believe the media would play a part in demonizing the party that is a a few millimetres to the left.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Pleads posted:

I'm pretty sure there was something in the pipes for too long and we're maybe just the first couple of generations that don't literally have brain problems.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Kraftwerk posted:

In Manitoba Pallister was incredibly unpopular and now that he's abandoned his position, the PCs, currently being led by the man who was the architect of one of the worst received bills in Manitoba's history (Goertzen's education bill), is set to lead the party until the former health minister (Heather Stefanson) takes over, who oversaw the dismantling of Manitoba's health system that led to the province having to fly covid cases to non-third world provinces for treatment. Bonus points for the health portfolio originally being overseen by Goertzen and also that Stefanson was the one who seconded Goertzen's education bill.

This is being billed as a "fresh start" for the Manitoba PCs, who will likely get re-elected for it.

It would be kind of funny if it weren't also sad and tragic.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Blood Boils posted:

Well it's like you allude to earlier in your post - they have to make up stuff because in reality there's no substantial difference between a grit and a tory

ya but BLUE MAN BAD

For real though, stop me on the street and demand I explain to you why O'Toole is worse than Trudeau without touching my phone, and I probably couldn't do it because I've long since stopped internalizing the things he says. Every thing he announces is just filed under the "ugh loving tories" box, which I realize is also wrongheaded thinking because identity politics is the opposite of discourse, but every time I try unpacking something he's proposed I'm presented with awfulness that I just can't handle, much like what happens to you when you see the last post in a thread is from me

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Pleads posted:

Don't kinkshame, some Canadians like to get hosed by gross fat dudes

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Trapick posted:

Have the Liberals done *anything* about abortion? Still no clinics in the North, PEI, Nova Scotia, Sask, right? T

As of 2017, PEI has access to medical/surgical abortions at one hospital and can also refer to Moncton and Halifax hospitals if needed.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

Hand Knit posted:

Convention is bad because, in cases like these, it allows for the power of the Crown to be abused.

The constitutional convention that doesn't permit the governor general to impose her own political will on the country is unequivocally good, actually.

Hand Knit posted:

This is why the governor general is supposed to only do things that have the support of the house, because the house has some level of democratic legitimacy.

No, the governor general (or the queen) is supposed to do things on the advice of the prime minister, and not act of her own accord. Again, if you're asking for the governor general to decide that she can pick and choose which advice of the prime minister's she follows, except as a last resort, you are asking for a constitutional crisis.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Oxyclean posted:

Rae Days.

eXXon posted:

I don't see how the Green platform is the problem? It has been extensive and member-voted for decades, is usually costed*, and is mostly reasonable and consistent. The current election document, despite what are bound to be claims to the contrary, has no mentions of wifi, electro*, homeopathy, naturopathy, chiro*, etc. There are naturally things most readers here will object to, such as nuclear power bans, and whatever this is:

But anyway, if you want to point to one thing being the problem, it absolutely is not the platform. Vetting, candidate recruitment, leadership, campaign strategies, etc. etc. all come well ahead.

* to the extent that any of platform costings are meaningful, which ... well, you decide.

My mistake, I should not have said platform without having read their current published platform, which hopefully the other registered Green party candidates have also had a chance to read now.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Alberta set a new record for most patients in ICU during the pandemic today.

Also, UCP MLA is a ghoul, news at six.

https://twitter.com/RachelNotley/status/1437484561315753985

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Sep 13, 2021

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Trapick posted:

I think the general opinion about abortion in this country is 'it's fine as it is, just don't make any changes'. So all one has to do to be on the right side of the issue is preserve the status quo, which is all the Liberals have to do to look good in this situation.

As to whether O'Toole is pro-choice or pro-life, it really doesn't matter here. What he's saying for the cameras is that he won't overrule any Premier like Ford, Kenny, or whatever hypothetical fundie that takes provincial power in the future.

O'Toole also says he's pro-worker, but much of his agenda is written by an Uber-lobbyist, so I'm not really inclined to take him at his word when he says he supports a woman's right to choose.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL

Canuckistan posted:

As of 2017, PEI has access to medical/surgical abortions at one hospital and can also refer to Moncton and Halifax hospitals if needed.

It's also available in Saskatchewan:

https://sexlifesask.ca/pregnancy#termination

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

Have a gay friend who would be voting conservative except he thinks they're iffy on LGBT rights. Another who's anyone-but-NDP because they'll increase capital gains taxes. And we're all in the downtown toronto core, not rural alberta.

This is a pretty right wing country.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I'm sorry your friends suck.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Arc Hammer posted:

Alberta set a new record for most patients in ICU during the pandemic today.

Also, UCP MLA is a ghoul, news at six.

https://twitter.com/RachelNotley/status/1437484561315753985

quote:

Results are the same, except for those who die getting it the old fashioned way, I guess

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
The "hr issue" is treating your employees like poo poo and having them leave lol

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Approx 4500 cases over the weekend in AB, 18 deaths in the last 24 hours. Seems extremely likely we're going to exceed ICU capacity unless case counts drop to like 0.

Shits bad man

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Clearly you guys didn't listen to Matt Wolff.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
It's a 3 way race between delta blowing through the population, the health system remaining stable, and Jason Kenney's will to do a single loving thing.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

He's not gonna do poo poo, he promised that one guy while he was drunk at Stampede lol

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
It seems pretty unlikely prior to the 20th

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

They put out a fundraiser saying that they were "Fighting against vaccine passports" so its not just inaction at this point, its willfully doing nothing

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

BC doing absolutely garbage with 2000 new cases and 9 deaths over the weekend.

But they did also announce that anyone working in health care in any capacity including students has to be vaccinated or gently caress off, so that’s nice.

I voted yesterday. It loving sucked and I cursed Trudeau for this stupid loving election that didn’t need to happen. At least this place is usually NDP.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
189 cases of Covid in Ontario schools and one school already closed as a result. We've tried nothing and we're all out of ideas, people folks.

I know it won't make much of a difference but I'd like to dream that the provincial conservative governments becoming toxic hellscapes would be enough to flatten federal conservative election aspirations by association.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Sep 14, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Quote is not edit.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

189 cases of Covid in Ontario schools and one school already closed as a result. We've tried nothing and we're all out of ideas, people folks.

I know it won't make much of a difference but I'd like to dream that the provincial conservative governments becoming toxic hellscapes would be enough to flatten federal conservative election aspirations by association.

You'd think a government repeatedly and demonstrably putting your kids at risk of serious illness would leave them a radioactive smouldering crater for a generation or two. Like, "we have to rename the party" territory. However, this is Ontario and I wouldn't be surprised to see a PCPO minority in 2022.

OTOH, Rae Days.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Pleads posted:

”Trudeau is too woke/too much of a SJW.” Is what a lot of Conservative voters are telling me. NDP and Liberal voters generally give me some vague policy (real or imagined) reason why they’re voting for their party. However, a lot of Conservative voters seem to be driven by anger at Trudeau for a reason they can’t really elaborate on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Some sort of "Trudeau derangement syndrome"?