Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol

IShallRiseAgain posted:

My understanding of the For Better or For Worse author was that she was so awful to be around, that even her children sympathized with her dad when he was the one to have an affair. Also, yes, the author rewrote the characters in the comics to be her ideal family in the reboot. Also, she even had some really petty snipes against her family.

Absolutely want to know more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

IShallRiseAgain posted:

My understanding of the For Better or For Worse author was that she was so awful to be around, that even her children sympathized with her dad when he was the one to have an affair. Also, yes, the author rewrote the characters in the comics to be her ideal family in the reboot. Also, she even had some really petty snipes against her family.

I remember my university used to get free papers, and this comic had like, this ongoing plot/obsession of what stupid little sluts literal underage girls were for not wearing their school uniforms properly (shortening skirts, bra straps showing, etc.).

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!

Volcott posted:

No one can force you to watch Cleopatra 2525, but there are probably some Bruce Campbell-centric social groups where you may be obligated to watch Jack o' All Trades.

I'd watch Bruce read the newspaper. My man Bruce.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

Hector Delgado posted:

I'd watch Bruce read the newspaper. My man Bruce.

You should rewatch "The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr" as well

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
I did, when it was aired. The orb, Lord Bowler, all good stuff.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Thanks for mentioning Footrot Flats, goon upthread. I'd never heard of it before and I got a few chuckles out of looking it up.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

When I was in high school, my mom made a huge deal about how she was going to Write A Novel, and after a couple weeks of her planning or whatever, we found it was going to be based on our actual family, but set 20ish years into the future, with all these detailed plans for how our lives would go.

We pointed out it was kind of weird, and she didn’t seem to understand why, but I never heard about it again, so she clearly thought better of it.

The fact that that’s just actually For Better Or Worse makes the entire thing even more bizarre.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
Man I forgot just how frumpy that comic looks.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

So the Jack of All Trades intro is like, the best tv intro ever right?

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2tlews

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

Hector Delgado posted:

I did, when it was aired. The orb, Lord Bowler, all good stuff.

yes, but re-watch!
It was a fun one, and a shame they cancelled it. One of the few things I bothered tuning into specifically.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Swan Lake Algae Problem posted:

When I was in high school, my mom made a huge deal about how she was going to Write A Novel, and after a couple weeks of her planning or whatever, we found it was going to be based on our actual family, but set 20ish years into the future, with all these detailed plans for how our lives would go.

We pointed out it was kind of weird, and she didn’t seem to understand why, but I never heard about it again, so she clearly thought better of it.

The fact that that’s just actually For Better Or Worse makes the entire thing even more bizarre.

My dad wrote a couple of books recently. Just, like, anthologies of silly slice-of-life stuff, much of which was fictionalized events from his life. He asked me to help him by editing it, which I was happy to do. For the most part it was just grammar and readability, but I got to one point where he had re-written history to make it so that my brother and I were the children of he and my step-mother (he and my mother having divorced when we were very young and she having passed away in 2005). I had to carefully explain to him how strange and insulting it was to my brother and I to just edit our dead mother out of our lives like that. Luckily he understood, and ended up just scrapping the story entirely.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

The thing I remember most about Funky Winkerbean is that the spinoff comic, Crankshaft, which was just a gag-a-day strip that never did a time-skip, occasionally did flash-forwards of Crankshaft as an extremely aged, near-death invalid in a nursing home without jokes or any sense of what was going on. And I think that version of the character was in a Funky Winkerbean story about a kid volunteering in a nursing home. It was extremely jarring.

Was that the one where the side character's wife died and he had to choose between two other women who were rabidly in love with him? And then when he finally hooked up with one of them, they showed the ghost of his wife next to them, like some sort of weird threesome? I remember the artwork being similar.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Everyone likes to talk about how funky winkerbean changed, no one ever mentions how absolutely godawful it was beforehand.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

hyperhazard posted:

Was that the one where the side character's wife died and he had to choose between two other women who were rabidly in love with him? And then when he finally hooked up with one of them, they showed the ghost of his wife next to them, like some sort of weird threesome? I remember the artwork being similar.

If he also hooked up with the ghost wife then that was MacGruber.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

BioEnchanted posted:

Mitchell and Webb did it well with their Sherlock Holmes with dementia sketch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp02ubGuTIU

This just made me sad

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

thetoughestbean posted:

This just made me sad

Same.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

thetoughestbean posted:

This just made me sad

Yeah, it suddenly gets way too real without any punchline.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Nice Van My Man posted:

Which, itself, is the punchline, because that episode did have an earlier 'behind the scenes' sketch talking about excessively dark finales. Which is an element that gets lost very easily now, because sketch comedies are very well-suited to being segmented out without any of their context, since most of them didn't previously have any.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Nice Van My Man posted:

That is, I think, meant to be the joke though the full context comes from them having a sketch in the prior episode with them out of character wondering if they should end their show with something serious because Black Adder Goes Forth did it. That Sherlock sketch is the very last one of the series and is the only serious one they did.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

endocriminologist posted:

Absolutely want to know more

Off the top of my head, a few of the bigger items-

-Lynn wanted to have a third child, her husband disagreed, and they never had one in reality, so she wrote in the third child April into the strip and developed her into the 'bad' character as some weird sort of passive-aggressive revenge.

-Her husband cheated on her with his dental assistant and ended up divorcing her. His comic counterpart remained a devoted and loyal husband who took up model trains instead and came off as kind a manchild. I think he was also the one who developed into a really terrible author that the one smilie I can't find is based on.

-In real life, her gay son Michael was working as a photographer and happened to take some pictures of a car wreck that turned out to be one where a childhood friend of his had died in, and when he found out it obviously affected him pretty badly. In the comic strip he happens upon the wreck, heroically saves her life, and ends up marrying her down the line. Lynn and Michael are no longer on speaking terms.

-Her real daughter Elizabeth was depicted as a modern go-getter who had a number of male friends and moved out to another province to take a job teaching native children, except the entire last few years of the run were about how this was immature and nothing more than sowing wild oats, and the real mature thing to do and the only thing to which she should aspire was to marry the blandest man in the universe and move back home to live right next door to her parents and settle down and be a homemaker.

There's also a general long-running passive-aggressive tone in general, where so many of the comics are about the kids being horribly unappreciative brats and causing nothing but trouble for Elly/Lynn who stands by watching on in goggle-eyed horror. It tends to give the impression that Lynn thinks of motherhood as martyrdom but also the only legitimate activity for women to engage in. If you want more you should come to the BSS comic strips thread, this comic was were the megathreads originated from and they get talked about pretty frequently.

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer
It was also the last sketch of the series. What a hell of a note to end on

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

BioEnchanted posted:

Mitchell and Webb did it well with their Sherlock Holmes with dementia sketch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp02ubGuTIU

This one is also great for the fact that earlier in the episode, (which was the series finale), they had a joke about how Blackadder 4 ended, all sombre and sad with all characters getting gunned down as they went over the top.

The earlier joke was that, a legendary comedic series had an ending with no jokes and was sad. So then their last sketch ended with a sad dementing Holmes realizing his uselessness and watching the light fade from his own eyes never to return.

Edit: I have been beaten to both of my points by earlier posters. Sorry.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Vandar posted:

So the Jack of All Trades intro is like, the best tv intro ever right?

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2tlews

Not while Ulysses 31 exists, but little bit where the bad guy pulls off his domino mask and he's wearing another underneath was pretty funny.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BrigadierSensible posted:

This one is also great for the fact that earlier in the episode, (which was the series finale), they had a joke about how Blackadder 4 ended, all sombre and sad with all characters getting gunned down as they went over the top.

The earlier joke was that, a legendary comedic series had an ending with no jokes and was sad. So then their last sketch ended with a sad dementing Holmes realizing his uselessness and watching the light fade from his own eyes never to return.

Edit: I have been beaten to both of my points by earlier posters. Sorry.

At least with Blackadder it was fitting, given the whole setting was pretty dark comedy and the point of drat near ever episode was desperately trying to avoid getting sent over the top in a mindless meatgrinder of a war.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Newspaper comics get kinda wild when they become institutions and the author just does whatever because their audience of old fucks and bored kids doesn't care or can't complain. Reminds me of how webcomics can end up.

I used to assemble the comics page for a paper. It became a running joke that Marmaduke was essentially three things:
- The dog is hungry
- The dog is big
- The dog does normal dog thing

Syndicated comics cost papers a lot of money, even bargain stuff. Ours paid for a single service (King, I think), which meant you got the old staples, such as Family Circus, Snuffy Smith (or was it Beetle Bailey?), Marmaduke. There were only 1 or 2 newer ones you could select, one of which was Thatababy, which I disliked immensely but the rest of the office seemed to enjoy. The actual good stuff was way out of our price range.

I always thought it was hilarious that the astrology columns were written at least six weeks in advance.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I used to assemble the comics page for a paper. It became a running joke that Marmaduke was essentially three things:
- The dog is hungry
- The dog is big
- The dog does normal dog thing

If you’re a dog person your funny dog stories all fall into these categories as well. For a cat person replace the second one with Cat was a jerk.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

Ghost Leviathan posted:

At least with Blackadder it was fitting, given the whole setting was pretty dark comedy and the point of drat near ever episode was desperately trying to avoid getting sent over the top in a mindless meatgrinder of a war.

Blackadder I, II, and IV all ended with most or all of the principal cast dying, III being the exception. IV was the only one where you really expected it right from the first episode though.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Lynn Johnston posted:

I married a guy who treated me very badly, but I was happy. I was miserable, so I was happy.

When I had Aaron, he left me, and I didn’t know how to raise a child. And I wasn’t close to my parents, and because I was too proud to go to my parents for help, I mistreated that little baby. I didn’t want a baby. I wanted the stability that a family was supposed to represent. And a baby can’t say, “Thanks, Mom, for feeding me and keeping me warm and dry even though I screamed my lungs out all night last night.” And they want and they want and they want and they want. The only satisfaction you have is that they’re fed and they’re warm and they’re safe and they’re thriving, and they smile at you every once in a while. They’re not going to thank you until they’re 45 [laughter].

I remember once when he was very unhappy and he was screaming and screaming, and I threw him out into a snow bank in his pajamas. This was in Ontario, and it was not warm here. And he put his hands against the window of the front door, pleading to be let in. And I was inside, screaming at him, “If you don’t want to sleep all night, you can friggin’ sleep outside!” And this was a teeny baby. And I don’t know what it was—it was almost like at that moment, my guardian angel put his hand on my shoulder and said, “Open the door.”

The next morning, I called a very good friend of mine who was working at the hospital. I had also been doing some work for this hospital on a freelance basis. And I said to my friend, “I need some help. I don’t known how to parent.”
- Hogan's Alley #1, 1994.

Lynn Johnston posted:

You stand over the sink and eat dinner. You eat a hard-boiled egg, a handful of lettuce and hey, there's no dishes.
- The Peterborough Examiner, 2008.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I always thought it was hilarious that the astrology columns were written at least six weeks in advance.

Well it’s astrology, it’s not like the stars are going to suddenly get sick and disappear

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Hachi machi

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Stuff like this and the infamous “Liam Neeson walking around looking for black people to beat to death” story really makes me wonder what the hell do these people think they gain by telling the world these things. Had I an equivalent story, I’d be hesitant to tell my own therapist, let alone a reporter. Do they think the public will congratulate them on their redemption? I don’t get it.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Flying Zamboni posted:

That is, I think, meant That Sherlock sketch is the very last one of the series and is the only serious one they did.

The alcoholic in the corner shop was pretty serious.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

HopperUK posted:

Thanks for mentioning Footrot Flats, goon upthread. I'd never heard of it before and I got a few chuckles out of looking it up.

Apparently (though I can't say for certain, since I hadn't read that far ahead) it became reactionary trash near the end.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Samovar posted:

Apparently (though I can't say for certain, since I hadn't read that far ahead) it became reactionary trash near the end.

Footrot Flats was mostly always cool and good and wholesome.

Murray Ball, (the creator), however turned into a horrible old man raging against feminism, and wrote a book called The Sisterhood, where the all the jokes are "Hey look! there are young women with short hair. They are probably lesbians and are taking away all of the rights of men. The only reason they aren't laughing is because they are humourless bitches."

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

HopperUK posted:

I was obsessed with the movie as a kid I think its on Amazon Prime and likely has some stuff appropriate for this thread

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

BrigadierSensible posted:

Footrot Flats was mostly always cool and good and wholesome.

Murray Ball, (the creator), however turned into a horrible old man raging against feminism, and wrote a book called The Sisterhood, where the all the jokes are "Hey look! there are young women with short hair. They are probably lesbians and are taking away all of the rights of men. The only reason they aren't laughing is because they are humourless bitches."

Yeah, Murray Ball is definitely a "never meet your heroes".

Growing up in rural Australia back then, there was literally zero media which spoke to bush kids that wasn't condescending trash. Footrot Flats managed to cover every aspect of farming life, even all the horrible bits, but managed to do it in an incredibly positive child-friendly way.

I certainly can't think of any other comic you'd find printed in the newspapers where you'd see someone lubing up their arm to go elbow deep into a bearing ewe and literally pull the lamb out before it died. Also, I can't think of any comic which would even mention bearing ewes.

I was loving crushed when I found out the author turned into right wing trash.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

AceOfFlames posted:

Stuff like this and the infamous “Liam Neeson walking around looking for black people to beat to death” story really makes me wonder what the hell do these people think they gain by telling the world these things. Had I an equivalent story, I’d be hesitant to tell my own therapist, let alone a reporter. Do they think the public will congratulate them on their redemption? I don’t get it.

It kind of seems like she's trying to make a point about how unprepared people are for the real difficulty of parenting, and maybe some kind of postpartum struggle, but she's doing an incredibly poor job of it.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

It kind of seems like she's trying to make a point about how unprepared people are for the real difficulty of parenting, and maybe some kind of postpartum struggle, but she's doing an incredibly poor job of it.

Yes and most people in that situation would hopefully be like "I was so tired I thought about throwing my little baby outside in the snow, isn't that loving crazy," and not actually doing it because that's some straight up psychopathic poo poo to do to a tiny child. My blood is boiling reading that.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

hallo spacedog posted:

Yes and most people in that situation would hopefully be like "I was so tired I thought about throwing my little baby outside in the snow, isn't that loving crazy," and not actually doing it because that's some straight up psychopathic poo poo to do to a tiny child. My blood is boiling reading that.

You're right, I don't want that to come off as me trying to support her at all. She's clearly an absolute nightmare of a person, it just seems like what ever weird self centred martyrdom she's got going on keeps her from understanding that she comes off as the bad guy of her story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

You're right, I don't want that to come off as me trying to support her at all. She's clearly an absolute nightmare of a person, it just seems like what ever weird self centred martyrdom she's got going on keeps her from understanding that she comes off as the bad guy of her story.

Sorry! I didn't mean to imply I thought you were supporting that! I did not get that sense from what you wrote I think I am just so mad and upset by what she wrote about abusing her child I am not seeing straight right now.