Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22Eih59Xsgc

https://i.imgur.com/kV9PPpv.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand
i checked my mouse traps and there was a dead one in there, still warm and plump and delicious, so i took it up to the orchard for the ravens. one of them carried it straight back to my backyard and ate it right in front of me. you're welcome, my eldritch friend
:allears: i love this! those feathery pantaloons make every sprint an event

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Brave and majestic!

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Dorothy was coughing for the past 2 days, and yesterday she started looking really pale in the comb. I got some Duramycin 72-200 from the feed store and injected 1.2 cc into her breast muscle last night. Today she is right as rain, no coughing and the color of her comb is much better. Hooray for over the counter antibiotics!

We also have a case of double bumble foot, Yolko. We did minor surgery and have been soaking her feet in epsom salt water. It doesn’t seem to be improving very quickly :smith:

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

yay Dorothy! i hope Yolko starts coming around

i love this!

the other day Izzie made a slow and low "brrraaaaaawwk!" that would be a convincing movie dino sound. i don't know what he saw that he didn't like but he sure didn't hesitate to express his disgust

he and Darlin were the only ones who braved the 'cold' this morning and were just hanging out together in the side yard while the hens stayed in the coop. i put a laundry basket outside to dry and they turned around, saw it, and were pisssssed off. they came over with their necks flaring and their grandpa eyebrow feathers sticking up. they were gonna eff that basket up, until they realized it was nothing :laugh:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I have a cream crested legbar hen that honks / quacks and sounds more like a duck or goose than a chicken. She's about the smallest hen in the coop and has the deepest / funniest sound.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Duck update!

They have discovered watermelon and cantaloupe. They do an amazing job cleaning them right now to the rind. Beyond that they are ducky.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
The latest Oatmeal:

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

Yooper posted:

Duck update!

They have discovered watermelon and cantaloupe. They do an amazing job cleaning them right now to the rind. Beyond that they are ducky.

they are beautiful!

Imagined posted:

The latest Oatmeal:

so true

i went out to look at the chickens and they were lounging in their favorite spot but before i could snap a pic they all came running towards me (well, all except Beans who must be smart enough to realize i wasn't carrying the oatmeal container)

they were disappointed i had no treats and returned to their hangout

"You came to us empty-handed? This is a mistake you should not make again."

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I've got four huge fat meat birds to murder some time this week (hopefully tomorrow) and just, god drat, I always forget how big they get at the end.

At least we've got a nice table centerpiece for my upcoming religious holiday!

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Adolescent chickens are v handsome after they get through their first molt and I am offended on their behalf at this slander. :colbert:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

That's an adorable bunch of featherbundles.

City of Glompton posted:

"You came to us empty-handed? This is a mistake you should not make again."

Oh you're so in trouble.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I've got four huge fat meat birds to murder some time this week (hopefully tomorrow) and just, god drat, I always forget how big they get at the end.

At least we've got a nice table centerpiece for my upcoming religious holiday!

I tried some Rainbow Rangers this year and I won’t ever do that again. Large Marge raised them with the huge brood and they got around pretty well when they were small. By the time they were about 5 weeks they were having difficulties doing what the other chicks did. It made me sad to see them fail at jumping up to the 4” high roost bar. From now on it’s only skinny heritage chickens for me.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Joburg posted:

I tried some Rainbow Rangers this year and I won’t ever do that again. Large Marge raised them with the huge brood and they got around pretty well when they were small. By the time they were about 5 weeks they were having difficulties doing what the other chicks did. It made me sad to see them fail at jumping up to the 4” high roost bar. From now on it’s only skinny heritage chickens for me.

these dudes are like 3 months old-ish but have been exercised gently because I wanted nicer fat on them. rainbow rangers should be butcher ready around 12-16 weeks. little surprising about 5 weeks being so wild.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

these dudes are like 3 months old-ish but have been exercised gently because I wanted nicer fat on them. rainbow rangers should be butcher ready around 12-16 weeks. little surprising about 5 weeks being so wild.

I expected them to go slower but the males were definitely large at 8 weeks. The females I kept til 11 weeks. Maybe I had mutants or processed them earlier than someone else would. I was pretty sad for them by the end. They wanted to run around with the others but they just couldn’t, so the fun passed them by.

Because of the cross country move, I processed a lot of our older hens plus all the young roosters this summer and even though they don’t give as much meat as a broiler chicken, the taste and fat are fantastic. (And that’s without the skin, I do my killing at night and no way am I staying up late to pluck!)

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

i was just telling RudeCat last night that the chickens could start laying eggs any time now

look what i found in the nest box this morning :kimchi:

here is is with a large store-bought egg for comparison

i don't know who laid it but i'm calling it Lil' Pep's egg because it makes me happy

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Congratulations!!

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

thank you! i'm very proud of whoever did it. can't wait to find a few more :)

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

City of Glompton posted:

i was just telling RudeCat last night that the chickens could start laying eggs any time now

That's perfect!

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Well after 2 weeks of brooding and 4 weeks of molting, Foghorn finally laid an egg and that means I won't have to murder her skinny rear end.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
I’ve been getting fewer eggs so I followed the egg song today and found a new cache. Thirteen eggs.

Dorothy started coughing again today so she got dose number 2 of antibiotic. She still looks better so hopefully it just needs this one last dose.

Also
Goats can fit through turkey-sized doors.

But cannot fit through chicken-sized doors.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

the goat looks so proud :3:

we got a second tiny egg today, and it was Pearl who laid that. kind of think the first one was hers, laid yesterday before they went to bed, since it was cold when i found it this morning. i'm excited to see if we get one or more tiny eggs tomorrow!

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Joburg posted:

Also
Goats can fit through turkey-sized doors.

But cannot fit through chicken-sized doors.

Like my goat owning buddy says: fences aren't for keeping goats in, they're for keeping other critters out.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

"So I heard you're making pizza for breakfast..."

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Just flip that crock pot over and motion her inside

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

City of Glompton posted:

so precious :kimchi:

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
https://twitter.com/buitengebieden_...r%3D852lastpost

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

gently caress yeah. Good job, rooster and goat.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
It's funny how fast my wife and I went from "oh wow a hawk so cool hun come out and look!" To "oh poo poo are the girls out gently caress you gently caress you hawk go away!!!!"

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 4 days!)

Source4Leko posted:

It's funny how fast my wife and I went from "oh wow a hawk so cool hun come out and look!" To "oh poo poo are the girls out gently caress you gently caress you hawk go away!!!!"
keeping poultry, you end up with the most incredibly complex relationship with your local predators

speaking of which

these idiots a) just had twins, and b) are now known to land on the quail coop and stand there flapping their wings and cawing at me

mahershalalhashbaz fucked around with this message at 14:23 on May 7, 2022

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

every time i go outside, two of these gremlins follow me around commenting on my every move

the quail are coping in lockdown. they mostly just sit in the one place all day, but they don't seem to be depressed, so maybe shifting them from one cage to the other during the day is all the variety they need. the only time i've seen them want to leave the cage is when the sparrows were hopping around; they were running up and down inside and i think they wanted to chase the sparrows around like they used to. aside from that they seem satisfied with their living arrangements, bless them

perepelki fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Sep 19, 2021

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
through whatever combination of luck and hassling crows, raptors have never been a problem for our flock.

that said, gently caress Raccoons and I hope they all die like the evil monsters they are

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I like it when they die.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

the raccoons just want to live

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
My girls got to free range the backyard for the first time after I mowed under all the areas we'd been allowing to go feral and stirred up many, many bugs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eV7d3SeJzQ

Although Srta. Roja was extremely upset that I took the SEVEN (!!) eggs she was sitting on and kicked her out of the nest and wanted to register her complaint loudly and at great length.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEb-cSDC4_Y

Also TIL:

quote:

Cuando las gallinas mean' is a common Spanish idiomatic expression generally said to children when they speak when they are not supposed to. The full Spanish saying goes 'los niños hablan cuando las gallinas mean' and literally translates to “children talk when hens piss.” For anyone that doesn’t know hens don’t pee and this phrase is a scold for children to remain with the mouth shut. The equivalent of los niños hablan cuando las gallinas mean in English is “children should be seen and not heard.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Sep 20, 2021

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

perepelki posted:

those assholes would kill like 3-4 at a time and just leave them as a torn apart mess in the run. their way of life sucks and they suck.

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

Imagined posted:

My girls got to free range the backyard for the first time after I mowed under all the areas we'd been allowing to go feral and stirred up many, many bugs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eV7d3SeJzQ

such pristine white feathers!

most of our birds are looking pretty ratty as they gear up for winter molts but Big Gray, one of our drakes, started early and is looking very soft and sleek as his new stuff comes in.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

perepelki posted:

I disagree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

BHB posted:

those assholes would kill like 3-4 at a time and just leave them as a torn apart mess in the run. their way of life sucks and they suck.

Our three girls had their heads taken off and the bodies left there by a raccoon. gently caress 'em.