Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Stickman posted:

It's likely that significant portion of Americans never get vaccines as adults. It's pretty much only if you travel outside of the US or actually pay attention and get flu shots / Tdap boosters or PPSV / shingles when you get old enough.

Even then, most countries don't require any proof of vaccination from Americans under normal circumstances. Unless you've traveled to someplace with yellow fever, you can gleefully spread your measles, mumps, and rubella across Asia, Europe, and the Americas without so much as a second glance.

(Well, I mean before we became the Goofus of covid, obviously.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Wendigee posted:

what the hell switzerland, germany and denmark?

Last I read about Denmark they were at 73,8% of entire pop fully vaccinated, which is way ahead of most countries. Did they gently caress something up, too?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

They also had the Proud Boys working "security" at the event

https://twitter.com/StopSpreadSRQ/status/1437136315208896518

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
All these masks everywhere are threatening and terrifying!

*open carries assault rifle*

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Last I read about Denmark they were at 73,8% of entire pop fully vaccinated, which is way ahead of most countries. Did they gently caress something up, too?
Back in late August, our government decided on a date when the restrictions would be removed if COVID-19 was judged to no longer be socially critical (meaning that the hospitals had enough capacity, et cetera - not that it isn't still a potentially dangerous disease for the individual).

That date then rolled around, but in the meantime Danish nurses were trying to re-negotiate salaries via their union, but failed because the government kept rejecting their proposals - seemingly without coming up with any counter-proposals, instead preferring to just create a new law, forcing nurses back to work.

Then, the date of lifted restrictions came, and every single newspaper in the world wrote about how Denmark had lifted restrictions (without mentioning the socially critical part, or any other context), and just yesterday there was a news item published about how the doctors on duty for the various health regions have been reporting a massive spike in calls about respiratory issues.

So now I'm basically just waiting for the lock-down to be reinstated, because I still haven't left my house since March, 2020 despite the fact that I'm fully vaccinated, because I'm also in several risk categories.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Also #EPSTEIN ISLAND :ssh: Conspiracists love to co-opt real world conspiracies and mix them in with their idiotic fake conspiracies but I'm sure they've also woven a whole new web of fake idiocy around them and made up a whole lot of fake poo poo. At one point the Qanons decided that Trump really had been visiting Epstein's island ...... but as an undercover operative to gain the trust of the pedophile ringleaders so he could bust 'em all when the time was right. :v:

I was arguing with an idiot online recently about the pandemic restrictions and they posted a comment saying "Well 3rd doses and vaxx passports were also a conspiracy last year!! :smug:" and I was like "No they weren't??? Like, people may have been making up crazy stories about them but they were always real???????"

Also I fuckin' love that this crazy woman added the hashtags onto her printed sign, that's just magical. :allears:

It's weird how so many high-level GOP officials decided to infiltrate epstein's island as secret undercover operatives

MuscaDomestica
Apr 27, 2017

Philthy posted:

Been expecting this for a while now, I'm surprised it hasn't been sooner. You can expect it from all health care providers pretty soon, who the hell wants to pay millions for a chud hospital stay that could have been prevented.

Does this count as a preexisting condition?

Mumbling Nuggets
Jan 14, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Butterwagon posted:

My mother in law now has the covid due to a covid funeral. Her family is trying to give her the paste. help

Tell her to just say "Neigh".

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

GRECOROMANGRABASS posted:

J&J / Jaaaaaaansen continues to be the K-mart version of vaccine providers in the US

JnJ had a 2 dose trial (spaced 3 or 4 weeks apart) and still haven't released the results.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They also had the Proud Boys working "security" at the event

https://twitter.com/StopSpreadSRQ/status/1437136315208896518

And as I’m sure people are already aware, FL is not an open carry state.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So... Both kids and me with stuffy noses is probably a cold, but I'm glad I can still go for free PCR tests before they return to school....

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2021/09/booster-bandits-ethics/620048/

Booster Bandits!

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

And as I’m sure people are already aware, FL is not an open carry state.

That's actually surprising.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

quote:

Getting a third shot has gone mainstream, but it’s still a real ethical dilemma.
Hmmm yes, what a dilemma. Should I try to keep myself alive or should I let vaccines that were never going to be shipped to another country expire? Hmmm, a real problemo, a real hum-dinger of a moral quandary.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Horseshit. People in the US getting boosters aren't depriving the underprivileged, they're depriving dumpsters.

7of7
Jul 1, 2008
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1437413188207845378?s=20

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

No one knows exactly how many booster bandits are out there. The CDC estimated that more than 1 million Americans got an unauthorized third shot before the recommendations for immunocompromised people came out a month ago. Since then, the agency has counted nearly 1.8 million people who have gotten an “additional” shot, but it told me that there’s virtually no way to know how many of those actually went to folks with qualifying immune conditions, because patients only have to say they’re immunocompromised to get the jab. There’s also virtually no way to know how many reported first doses are actually illegitimate third shots.

quote:

All three of the booster bandits I spoke with told me that they weren’t worried about taking anything from others who need it by boosting “early,” because the country has so many vaccines that it’s regularly throwing doses out. They have a point: While other countries are still struggling to access and distribute vaccines, the U.S. reportedly wasted at least 12.9 million doses just in June, July, and August. Doran said that vaccine waste “makes me sick,” and that “whoever wants them should have them instead of putting them in the trash.”

Look at the gulf between these numbers.

The Walmart bakery takes more effort to limit waste of croissants than the richest country in the world takes to limit waste of lifesaving vaccines.

quote:

Perhaps the most troubling thing about booster banditry is not that it’s happening at all, but that it’s happening at an unknowable scale. Esther Choo, an emergency-medicine professor at Oregon Health and Science University, recently told me that ​​lying (overtly or by omission) to get a third dose can mess up the data on how well third shots are performing among the immunocompromised and how well a two-dose regimen is protecting those with healthy immune systems. On an even more basic level, under-the-table boosting could skew data on national vaccination rates, making public-health authorities think more people have gotten their first or second shots than is actually the case. Essentially, getting a third shot before the CDC’s go-ahead can make it harder for health officials to determine when and if everyone else will really need them.

That’s why you (hashtag) legalize and regulate it.

I’m sure those people who openly posted about their third shot experiences on Twitter and/or spoke to the Atlantic directly would be happy to help authorities collect accurate data. They’ve just been barred from providing it.

Also, I want to call out something implicit in this part:

quote:

lying (overtly or by omission) to get a third dose can mess up the data on how well third shots are performing among the immunocompromised and how well a two-dose regimen is protecting those with healthy immune systems

Yeah, they’ll be “messing up the data” by not ending up in the hospital like good little boys and girls.

Esther Choo may as well complain that people are “messing up the data” on lifejackets by clinging to floating lumber.

Look, if you want to deny people third doses because you’re sending them oversees or gee golly you just can’t stop allowing them to expire, that’s one thing, but not giving people treatment because you wish to obtain data on the progression of disease is unethical human experimentation. It’s subtler than certain famous cases, but at its core, that’s what it is.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Who would have guessed the Rapture was real, but mostly just favoured stupidity instead of virtue

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

That’s extra funny (not funny) given that the main takeaway of the new Lancet review was that they wouldn’t believe any study that wasn’t a randomized controlled trial. TBF, our breakthrough surveillance is poo poo anyway…

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
The early studies I've been seeing put the sweet spot for Real Ultimate Immunity from a 3rd dose at 8 months after the 2nd dose. Since I'm a computer toucher I feel good to just isolate until then.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

We'll see. The proper trial is underway and has been for months, so if there is a strong effect we should see results relatively quickly given current infection numbers, though I have a feeling the difference won't be that insanely big.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
https://twitter.com/aliasvaughn/status/1436104636646187010

I'll never self-righteously roll my eyes at Africans attacking Ebola hospitals again.

https://twitter.com/AliNouriPhD/status/1411761475719401482

Everyone who can only poop at home, your body is trying to protect you.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 13, 2021

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Just got an email at work that the company will require proof of vax or you'll need to be tested twice a week. This being a very large insurance company in Canada, I hope it means many more large corporations follow suite.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Saalkin posted:

Just got an email at work that the company will require proof of vax or you'll need to be tested twice a week. This being a very large insurance company in Canada, I hope it means many more large corporations follow suite.

Great Waste of Life?

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Went through a nice doomscroll this morning of an immunologist's twitter who is quite bullish on long covid being a major, major thing for society going forward, even for the vaccinated.

https://twitter.com/fitterhappierAJ/status/1434113892649783299

Made me very interested in the results of this testing

https://newatlas.com/health-wellbeing/pfizer-coronavirus-pill-human-trials-protease-inhibitors/

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Sep 13, 2021

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Went through a nice doomscroll this morning of an immunologist's twitter who is quite bullish on long covid being a major, major thing for society going forward, even for the vaccinated.

https://twitter.com/fitterhappierAJ/status/1434113892649783299

Made me very interested in the results of this testing

https://newatlas.com/health-wellbeing/pfizer-coronavirus-pill-human-trials-protease-inhibitors/

TL;DR: We hosed?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Look at the gulf between these numbers.

The Walmart bakery takes more effort to limit waste of croissants than the richest country in the world takes to limit waste of lifesaving vaccines.

That’s why you (hashtag) legalize and regulate it.

I’m sure those people who openly posted about their third shot experiences on Twitter and/or spoke to the Atlantic directly would be happy to help authorities collect accurate data. They’ve just been barred from providing it.

Also, I want to call out something implicit in this part:

Yeah, they’ll be “messing up the data” by not ending up in the hospital like good little boys and girls.

Esther Choo may as well complain that people are “messing up the data” on lifejackets by clinging to floating lumber.

Look, if you want to deny people third doses because you’re sending them oversees or gee golly you just can’t stop allowing them to expire, that’s one thing, but not giving people treatment because you wish to obtain data on the progression of disease is unethical human experimentation. It’s subtler than certain famous cases, but at its core, that’s what it is.

"it will mess up the data" is pure bullshit, any booster efficacy study that samples the population is going to ask participants whether they have already received a booster. There would be problematic if the unboosted population became too small but we're nowhere near that point

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Crackbone posted:

Lots of people will be extremely hosed by endemic SARS-CoV-2, and not just the people who have long been hosed by known risk factors like organ transplant or obesity.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Why the hell hasn't Biden enacted a vaxx requirement for domestic flights? Surely he has the authority through the FAA?

I mean I know the chuds would absolutely lose their minds so is that why he hasnt done it? Or is it some major airline lobbying bullshit that keeps it from happening?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Biden is moving slower than I'd like but I am guessing that things are being tightened gradually rather than all at once. The employer mandate and federal job mandate are hopefully going to have some good effects over the next few months, and I would expect that we won't see any major moves until that one sinks in a bit.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Crackbone posted:

He's not a fan of the herd immunity approach to endemic status. Evidence is pointing toward COVID killing cumulatively, each infection (even mild) layering on more damage, until suddenly you have end stage renal disease. They're starting to see signs of kidney/lung damage in even asymptomatic folks, and it adds up over time.

There might be a lot less pearl clutching over the next 10-20 years about stem cell research. In the meantime, unless we get good anti-virals (protease inhibitors) or a vaccine that sterilizes (keeps you from spreading it), we may be heading toward a mass disability event on the scale of polio.

https://twitter.com/dgurdasani1/status/1435694962641879042

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Sep 13, 2021

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

He's not a fan of the herd immunity approach to endemic status. Evidence is pointing toward COVID killing cumulatively, each infection (even mild) layering on more damage, until suddenly you have end stage renal disease. They're starting to see signs of kidney/lung damage in even asymptomatic folks, and it adds up over time.
This is especially cool vis-a-vis the hacks who are promoting “natural immunity”

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

It's not great, but worth keeping in mind that a normal eGFR is like 90, and the lower limit of normal is 60, so in itself these aren't huge shifts. However it definitely suggests renal dysfunction is being mediated by COVID, and that there's probably some people even in the asymptomatic group exhibiting severe decline in kidney function

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
fact: no dead people suffer from long covid

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I think that it's too early to get too worried about this kind of speculation based on fairly thin data.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Zugzwang posted:

This is especially cool vis-a-vis the hacks who are promoting “natural immunity”

https://twitter.com/fitterhappierAJ/status/1374525558214692868

Vaccines are the best we have right now, but until we can get a sterilizing vaccine, and decent anti-virals that can mitigate its ravages, reinfections will continue to accumulate damage.

Doomtweet special:

https://twitter.com/DrLindaDykes/status/1434271289691279362

Scarodactyl posted:

I think that it's too early to get too worried about this kind of speculation based on fairly thin data.

Agreed. But since I'm a computer toucher, I might as well continue isolating/N95'ing until we at least hear if there are promising anti-virals on the horizon.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Sep 13, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Scarodactyl posted:

It’s never too early to speculate that there will be no long‐term effects and for all of society to behave accordingly.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Holy poo poo. My college is flat out giving you $500 for getting vaccinated.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Lol, should have waited...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

lol, a lot of people are gonna try to get vaxed with a fresh card a 2nd time for the $500. gonna put our public health record tracking to the test.