Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
favourite number
This poll is closed.
835 3 2.29%
2 14 10.69%
3,400,981 17 12.98%
11 19 14.50%
21 13 9.92%
7070 12 9.16%
58008 53 40.46%
Total: 131 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I had issues with shadow play, but I'm using a lowly 970.

If I need to clip something, I usually use the game bar (Win+G keys). I don't remember if you can set it up to always be recording.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

redreader posted:

Can someone tell me what people use for capture of images or videos of 'fun parts of games' on pc? I finished Yakuza 2 the other night and wanted to capture the 'rip jacket off to reveal tattoo' part and realised I had nothing set up. And do you use to to capture pictures, or videos, how does whatever you use, work?

if its just an image I want and it's a steam game I just f12 that poo poo, if its a video, I personally use OBS, its meant for streaming but its pretty handy for recording too and i'm sure its free and pretty intuitive to use

And funnily enough I tried to capture the karaoke songs from Yakuza 6 just last week and although the menu is captured in full 2k the actual karaoke sequences seem to be locked to 1080p so the bulk of the video was full of black bars

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

redreader posted:

Can someone tell me what people use for capture of images or videos of 'fun parts of games' on pc? I finished Yakuza 2 the other night and wanted to capture the 'rip jacket off to reveal tattoo' part and realised I had nothing set up. And do you use to to capture pictures, or videos, how does whatever you use, work?

I have OBS set up to do all this stuff but it's far more tedious and annoying and fiddly than something easy like

oddium posted:

nvidia shadowplay

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Play posted:

lmao I wonder what's actually in that poo poo cuz I assume it is not amyl nitrate? or maybe it is, who knows

If you go to the amazon listing it's like eucalyptus and menthols

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

deep dish peat moss posted:

I thought the new Tales game looked cool but I didn't buy it because the top review on Steam warns that it has ads on the camp screen. In a single player, offline JRPG.

FWIW I played for hours and didn't notice a thing like that. I believe it exists but it must be drat subtle because I haven't seen any ads anywhere

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

If you go to the amazon listing it's like eucalyptus and menthols

ah it's like like those little things people sniff at festivals after snorting too much poo poo. in other words it's more like chapstick for your nose than anything that will help you concentrate

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Rinkles posted:

No idea about FU specifically, but in my experience most PSP console ports were pretty crap.

That's a shame. I have very few games on my Vita and most of them are GBA roms. Maybe I'll look at some reviews. I might be surprised.

Weedle posted:

i've said it before but if you want a cute handheld to play all your gb/gbc/gba roms i cannot recommend the anbernic rg351p or 351m highly enough. the p is cheaper, lighter and comes in gba purple but requires a dongle for wifi. otherwise they're the same. the games look flawless if you set your scaling settings correctly

I keep checking the thread because I am a complete mark for those things, but with a Vita, 3DS and Wii U I just don't have the need or money for one.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1282730/Loop_Hero/ Loop Hero is on sale for less than $10 right now.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I got my first 1440p/high refresh rate monitor and oh my god :pcgaming:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The mouse cursor moving in 144hz is breaking my brain

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I said come in! posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1282730/Loop_Hero/ Loop Hero is on sale for less than $10 right now.

It's a good time but I got to the final boss, lost, and felt no desire to actually try to finish it. It's pretty samey by then

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Harrow posted:

Had the exact same feeling when I got mine and changed the refresh rate.

...I had to put it back to 60hz due to both being really weird, and a fear it would burn my PC. Which seeing all the games lately that will burn your GPU without frame caps was a good idea. At least the bigger screen size is great for coding.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Harrow posted:

I got my first 1440p/high refresh rate monitor and oh my god :pcgaming:

Harrow posted:

welcome, next stop on the display train is ps5+oled

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Harrow posted:

so smooth

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Harrow posted:

It's real fuckin nice, huh? I upgraded to 1440p at 144hz earlier this year.

Propaganda Hour fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 14, 2021

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I couldn't see the difference really, and then my son broke my 450 dollar 1440p@144hz monitor and I switched back to my 1200x1920@60 hz and after I capped max fps again and made sure nvidia forced vsync... I can barely notice it. I do appreciate not having to have my monitor really close to my face since I use it on the couch with the monitor on the coffee table. The 27? inch 1440p monitor was just too drat small. My 25.5 inch 1200x1920 is way easier for me to see properly. I have 20/20 vision with my glasses on, which I wear all the time. I did look at the same manufacturer (LG) to see how much a larger 1440p@144 monitor would cost, and, lol it's 1200 dollars according to amazon

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I'm a 60 hz guy. That's just how I'm built. I'm humble and I refuse to take more than my fair share of Hz

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Play posted:

I'm a 60 hz guy. That's just how I'm built. I'm humble and I refuse to take more than my fair share of Hz

These are tough times we live in. You're important and you deserve 144hz. There's more than enough to go around.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I’ll just stick to 24 FPS thanks

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

I’ll just stick to 24 FPS thanks

i agree that grand theft auto san andreas is the best game of all time

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

15 FPS was good enough for Starwing so it's good enough for me.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

redreader posted:

I couldn't see the difference really, and then my son broke my 450 dollar 1440p@144hz monitor and I switched back to my 1200x1920@60 hz and after I capped max fps again and made sure nvidia forced vsync... I can barely notice it. I do appreciate not having to have my monitor really close to my face since I use it on the couch with the monitor on the coffee table. The 27? inch 1440p monitor was just too drat small. My 25.5 inch 1200x1920 is way easier for me to see properly. I have 20/20 vision with my glasses on, which I wear all the time. I did look at the same manufacturer (LG) to see how much a larger 1440p@144 monitor would cost, and, lol it's 1200 dollars according to amazon

Maybe the monitor was out of regular stock, because price differences based on size (with the same resolution) usually aren’t that extreme. At least when going from 27” to 32” (standard sizes).

As for me, going back to my laptop always feels so choppy after spending some time on my desktop (@120hz; it’s capable of more but my old gpu has some DisplayPort issues at higher refresh rates). Especially cursor and scrolling smoothness. But it’s not really a major issue.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I use the clipping tool with a 3 second delay so I can tab Back into the game

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I beat the impossible heavy spear miniboss dude in sekiro. It simple once I got the hang of his moveset

Now, this rifle-toting tall miniboss lady down in the valley, she’s def impossible...

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i finished sonic boom: fire & ice yesterday, and would call it a pretty good game! makes its predecessor, shattered crystal, look like an unfinished draft, and i had a good time with that one too. the elemental gimmick is pretty smooth and in practice turns the game into a platforming take on ikaruga, though of course nowhere near as demanding. collectables still exist, along with dkc-esque bonus stages hidden in each level, but are there just for the sake of the seeking itself. you can gather up hammer parts to change the look (but not function) of amy's hammer, for example. the plot is refreshingly low-key after the first two boom games struggled with the aggressively boring lyric: eggman is mining some new energy source so he can build robots capable of beating sonic in a race and pay him back for past humilations, but his operation is causing weather around the world to go haywire and also incidentally leads to your new elemental powers. it's more dkc than sonic in some ways but i wouldn't hesitate to recommend fire & ice to a platforming fan, though it admittedly has some gba crash bandicoot energy at first glance

finishing it means next up is...sonic mania!! which brought me to the bittersweet realization that this wild ride is truly almost over. all that's left on my big list are mania, forces, team racing, 2020 olympics, and colors ultimate. i did want to revisit the original genesis games when i got to mania though, so my current plan is thus: mania, forces, 1, 2, cd, 3k, mania plus (with all the encore stuff and a mod for amy)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Just FYI, Colors Ultimate is literally the same as the Wii version only with infinite lives and a couple minor gameplay additions

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i just wanna finish with something that isn't a collection of sports minigames :v:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Looper posted:

i just wanna finish with something that isn't a collection of sports minigames :v:

Fair enough

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
more than 20 fps is a vanity

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Well that and less migraines.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sounds like the PC release of Deathloop is completely hosed due to really aggressive use of Denuvo. Performance is terrible for a lot of people.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

How long has "Denuvo loving over performance" been a thing? Because holy poo poo you'd think they'd come up with a better solution by now.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Years at this point, and I know there has been a lot of doubt surrounding whether or not denuvo actually causes performance issues, but the Resident Evil Village situation makes it undeniable that it absolutely does tank performance really hard.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Had the exact same feeling when I got mine and changed the refresh rate.

...I had to put it back to 60hz due to both being really weird, and a fear it would burn my PC. Which seeing all the games lately that will burn your GPU without frame caps was a good idea. At least the bigger screen size is great for coding.

Running your desktop at 144hz is not going to "burn your pc". Those games maxed out GPUs because they had the menus running at thousands of frames per second (and running your GPU at 100% is also safe).

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Probably the most interesting Deathloop performance issue I've seen. Microstutter when using mouse+keyboard. Plug in a controller with the same settings and no stutter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ABLgD-xgSI

Here's another one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqG6pWF78kw

How did Arkane even do this?? :laffo:

Propaganda Hour fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Sep 14, 2021

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Delays are pretty much always to just make the game actually get to the start menu and start playing. The development is a dumpster fire where no one knows what they are doing, and the game that was meant to ship 6 weeks? it's still in pre-alpha. This whole delayed to make our game better, is a total myth.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

I don't know, I seriously think that delaying a game is often locking a game in a death spiral.

That is because management will start asking for new feature that will cost a lot of development time and cause even more delay, where the management (it give more bonus if they do so) will ask for more feature, rinse and repeat until the game is released in a broken mess or canned.

I kind of given people at pass until covid ends, but we will see after.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Turns out it's hard to make a game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Every new release the subject of Denuvo tanking performance comes up, and then when it's actually tested the result is always like "yeah maybe you'll lose a couple frames in this incredibly implausible CPU-bound scenario where the game is running at 1080p on a 240hz monitor." That's not to say Denuvo is good, just that there are a thousand other things to blame for poor performance before DRM.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
In a surprise swerve after surviving the Shadows of the Damned quagmire, and editing both ini files and the executable to make the PC port playable, Killer is Dead is actually a very enjoyable and fun game. Who knew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Andrast posted:

Running your desktop at 144hz is not going to "burn your pc". Those games maxed out GPUs because they had the menus running at thousands of frames per second (and running your GPU at 100% is also safe).

Yeah I know, I just have some big paranoia problems about dumb poo poo like that that I'm working on, specially since my 970 clearly wasn't meant for 2k and games now chug a lot more, and the dumb situation with GPUs now means I can't upgrade without wasting a lot of money.