Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

armchairyoda posted:

Personally, I can’t wait to jump ship to (hopefully) a non-profit/activist org that will let me sleep at night knowing my work may actually help people that need it.

Haha

HAHAHAHAHA

HAAAAA HAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I mean, you might help people but the NFP world is pretty loving toxic. Stay away from smaller companies or any role you're less than two levels of contact from the board of directors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Outrail posted:

Haha

HAHAHAHAHA

I mean, you might help people but the NFP world is pretty loving toxic. Stay away from smaller companies or any role you're less than two levels of contact from the board of directors.

It depends, but I agree in general. It depends if you're talking about local in your own country, or international orgs, what role you're in, the culture in that org etc.

Definitely don't do it for money. They usually have no strong processes, systems, and money is wasted on mass scale- so don't come in being an idealist, it's a pessimistic industry.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

RC Cola posted:

This made me so mad

The entire process of making that drawing drove me nuts. For one, they put the design for this bracket on the drawing for the wire it supports. It should have been a whole new drawing (my team does this quite a bit, with populated circuit boards and their BOMs being included in the drawing for the chassis they go into) but for some reason the engineer didn't understand why it would be a problem to put the bracket in the drawing for the wire, show it in the cartoon and include it on the BOM. Every harness vendor we've taken the drawing to tells us they don't do metal fabrication because of this. The metal fab houses tell us the don't build harnesses. When I pointed out A36 wasn't stainless and they needed to change it (and gave them several stainless standards) I was told I was wrong by the engineer who designs electronic components and not mechanical parts. In the design it's assumed the vendor will be making the bracket from a piece of angle steel, 2"x7". I told the engineer to make it a weld instead of one piece because it would be tough to find the right thickness and leg lengths, or at the very least allow for it to be bent instead of specifically stating it needed to be an angle. The end result is that we have to issue deviations for galvanized A36 and a bracket that should cost no more than $100 and take a week to get made costs almost $800 because the steel has to be special ordered, machined and galvanized and that all makes the lead time six to eight weeks. Changing the drawing is not an option.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Outrail posted:

Haha

HAHAHAHAHA

As someone who’s been in nonprofit for 10 years, this is about as true as any other field. Some organizations suck, some are good. I worked for a good small one and a lovely big one, now I work at a great small one.

Don’t go into with a savior complex though. Nonprofits exist because of problems that are virtually unsolvable in modern society for a lot of reasons. That being said, if you actually do care about spending your life doing good (or at least doing minimal bad) it’s a lot better than working your rear end off so the stock you don’t own can go up .003%.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Yeah, what Yorkshire said. You should start an ask tell so I can bitch and wine about all the bullshit we deal with other goons in the industry can learn from.you.

I'm going on year 2 of a very small NFP and am now running the organization. When I joined it was immediately apparent it was a really toxic environment led by micromanaging assholes. We managed to get through that somehow, mostly by being assholes in return and standing up to them until they all quit. Our new board is stupendously competent without ego and alterior motives, and they are overwhelmingly helpful but even still I can feel myself burning out.

If you can get a position where you don't need to worry about funding and can concentrate on delivering programming it'll be much easier. Every day I have think about how I'm responsible for other people's livelihoods and I'm never sure if we'll have enough job specific funding for them. And the granting environment is absolutely soul draining, like every aspect of it feels designed to sap your will to even bother trying. And other for profit businesses just assume since you're a charity you can spend infinite time helping them for free, for some reason. There's lots of bullshit NFPs need to deal with. But if you're focused on just doing a small amount of good to change your very small.corner of the world for the better just a little bit then it's worth it

Outrail fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Sep 13, 2021

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Lazyfire posted:

The entire process of making that drawing drove me nuts. For one, they put the design for this bracket on the drawing for the wire it supports. It should have been a whole new drawing (my team does this quite a bit, with populated circuit boards and their BOMs being included in the drawing for the chassis they go into) but for some reason the engineer didn't understand why it would be a problem to put the bracket in the drawing for the wire, show it in the cartoon and include it on the BOM. Every harness vendor we've taken the drawing to tells us they don't do metal fabrication because of this. The metal fab houses tell us the don't build harnesses. When I pointed out A36 wasn't stainless and they needed to change it (and gave them several stainless standards) I was told I was wrong by the engineer who designs electronic components and not mechanical parts. In the design it's assumed the vendor will be making the bracket from a piece of angle steel, 2"x7". I told the engineer to make it a weld instead of one piece because it would be tough to find the right thickness and leg lengths, or at the very least allow for it to be bent instead of specifically stating it needed to be an angle. The end result is that we have to issue deviations for galvanized A36 and a bracket that should cost no more than $100 and take a week to get made costs almost $800 because the steel has to be special ordered, machined and galvanized and that all makes the lead time six to eight weeks. Changing the drawing is not an option.

Make it out of 316L I'm a genius hire me

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Lazyfire posted:

We get that kind of poo poo all the time. Engineers will pick a material out of a book regardless of it's availability or applicability and then get upset when delivery is 10 weeks or is super expensive. Sometimes we can't even get a hold of the material at all. They usually wind up sending the quote around to multiple shops before they choose something common like 4140 or 316 or whatever and we wind up doing the job.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Lazyfire posted:

Ah so you send work to us all the time.

I just finished making some parts that came with a print that was wrong. Wrong enough that all the material we ordered was useless and we had to get more. It added an extra month, they called almost every day.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
I eavesdropped on the people making hiring decisions. Holy poo poo. When people advise not to say your current salary when you interview, take that advice. The people hiring are dumb as gently caress and will laugh in your face if you ask for more than 20% what you currently get, even though they’re happy to spew money over terrible candidates who have nothing going for them but the aura of an existing high paycheck

e: I forgot to add that they are they EXTREMELY salty about hiring people who are paid more than them lol

Prism Mirror Lens fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Sep 13, 2021

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Dumb poo poo my work does: Transfer me to a department I've never worked in without saying anything to me about it. I had to hear about it through the grapevine. Luckily I have a friend who knows the routine there, so I have some guidance, but shouldn't managers talk to workers about things like this? We open in two days. There's equipment that needs to be fixed. There's shortages of random items.

It's like we're running straight into a brick wall.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I always just bump my salary 20% as a bare minimum when they ask then everything above that is gravy. If they respond it's at the higher part of the range, my usual go to is "Well i'll leave it to your discretion on how you translate my experience into an offer". It's a vague enough "that's not my problem".

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Tarkus posted:

We get that kind of poo poo all the time. Engineers will pick a material out of a book regardless of it's availability or applicability and then get upset when delivery is 10 weeks or is super expensive. Sometimes we can't even get a hold of the material at all. They usually wind up sending the quote around to multiple shops before they choose something common like 4140 or 316 or whatever and we wind up doing the job.

In my previous job one of our tasks was to create material numbers to be used as Make From parts. Basically a randomized number that tells you this part is a specific material in a specific size/thickness and all the specs that are related to it. One of our basic rules was you couldn't create a plate of a specific material with dimensions over 540"x540", none of the rolling houses we had contracts with could go beyond that. That went out the window as soon as engineers got told no and started contacting the department manager and telling him they totally knew a guy who had the equipment to make bigger pieces. The end result was us creating a ton of plates of completely random sizes so you would get these designs what were like 900" long and 100" wide made from a make from piece of exactly that size.

I left three years ago and I never got to see that blow up in anyone's face, and knowing my luck, I would have been the one who had to fix it anyway.

honda whisperer posted:

Ah so you send work to us all the time.

I just finished making some parts that came with a print that was wrong. Wrong enough that all the material we ordered was useless and we had to get more. It added an extra month, they called almost every day.

When we have assemblies with a vendor I make it a point to not contact every day about delivery because even when we have the vendor working for weeks to get quotes for builds poo poo always goes wrong and I'll end up sourcing parts for them, getting engineering to provide alternates to stuff last produced in 2006 or find out someone on our side miscounted and we sent half the number of a part we were supposed to ship. The vendor will call me more than I call them while they're working on the builds.

Our last build kept having operational issues when it was sent to us for testing and it turned out that our engineers called for a jackscrew kit, but failed to note that the screw needed to be cut down, and not doing this was causing Things To Touch and shorting the boxes out. Funny part about that jackscrew kit, we only use the screw because for some reason instead of choosing an easily available sizing/thread we selected something that only really gets used on D-Sub plugs. It's like $13 dollars for a kit of screw, nut and washer; the latter two we just throw away.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
On the topic of salarychat, anyone have suggestions for setting a consulting rate? Safety consulting if that’s relevant.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

On the topic of salarychat, anyone have suggestions for setting a consulting rate? Safety consulting if that’s relevant.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3768531 <- The salary negotiation thread might have ideas.

bonelessdongs
Jul 17, 2019

Lazyfire posted:

In my previous job one of our tasks was to create material numbers to be used as Make From parts. Basically a randomized number that tells you this part is a specific material in a specific size/thickness and all the specs that are related to it. One of our basic rules was you couldn't create a plate of a specific material with dimensions over 540"x540", none of the rolling houses we had contracts with could go beyond that. That went out the window as soon as engineers got told no and started contacting the department manager and telling him they totally knew a guy who had the equipment to make bigger pieces. The end result was us creating a ton of plates of completely random sizes so you would get these designs what were like 900" long and 100" wide made from a make from piece of exactly that size.

I left three years ago and I never got to see that blow up in anyone's face, and knowing my luck, I would have been the one who had to fix it anyway.

When we have assemblies with a vendor I make it a point to not contact every day about delivery because even when we have the vendor working for weeks to get quotes for builds poo poo always goes wrong and I'll end up sourcing parts for them, getting engineering to provide alternates to stuff last produced in 2006 or find out someone on our side miscounted and we sent half the number of a part we were supposed to ship. The vendor will call me more than I call them while they're working on the builds.

Our last build kept having operational issues when it was sent to us for testing and it turned out that our engineers called for a jackscrew kit, but failed to note that the screw needed to be cut down, and not doing this was causing Things To Touch and shorting the boxes out. Funny part about that jackscrew kit, we only use the screw because for some reason instead of choosing an easily available sizing/thread we selected something that only really gets used on D-Sub plugs. It's like $13 dollars for a kit of screw, nut and washer; the latter two we just throw away.

I'm pretty sure we worked at the same company. Did your company make something that kind of looked like a sentry from TF2 and something else that looked like a butt plug on a pole?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

bonelessdongs posted:

I'm pretty sure we worked at the same company. Did your company make something that kind of looked like a sentry from TF2 and something else that looked like a butt plug on a pole?

You know what they say, if it looks like a buttplug on a pole and it feels like a buttplug on a pole...

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Manager just realized they never bothered to have the dept share our work calendars with them so zero clue about what meetings or tasks we do all day. They've been over the team for years, that's like a day one thing.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

bonelessdongs posted:

I would have killed for a job working in the buttplug on a pole company a couple years in. This was a naval defense contractor with more work than sense.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

E: This is not the Trumplol thread!

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

No, it’s the butt plug on a pole thread.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

goatsestretchgoals posted:

No, it’s the butt plug on a pole thread.

Nice action.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Xaintrailles posted:

Nice action.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
"none of this would be possible without marketing!"

me: *gestures to 85% of our sales having nothing to do with their marketing efforts*

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

20 Blunts posted:

"none of this would be possible without marketing!"

me: *gestures to 85% of our sales having nothing to do with their marketing efforts*

*Barudak steps into the room*
*Marketing Execs all start visibly sweating*

bonelessdongs
Jul 17, 2019
Lazyfire, check your PMs because I'm still not convinced we didn't work at the same company lmao

Barudak
May 7, 2007

So out of stock that we had a meeting that the next 2 shipments are expected to solely meet some of the demand of the people who left their information with us when we told them we were out.

Every week I now have meetings where the CEO gestures at my numbers, points to the procurement people, and says "boy don't you wish they had more stock". I've had so many fakeout, moved, or surprise this meeting about stock actually has no stock meetings I'm beginning to think the head of our global manufacturing is named Godot

Barudak fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Sep 14, 2021

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Don't tell me how to live my life

:roboluv:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

I eavesdropped on the people making hiring decisions. Holy poo poo. When people advise not to say your current salary when you interview, take that advice. The people hiring are dumb as gently caress and will laugh in your face if you ask for more than 20% what you currently get, even though they’re happy to spew money over terrible candidates who have nothing going for them but the aura of an existing high paycheck

e: I forgot to add that they are they EXTREMELY salty about hiring people who are paid more than them lol

Friendly reminder companies aren't people so it's okay to lie to them. If they demand proof of salary just Photoshop a paycheck to the right level.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Isnt that a common practice in China?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

PhazonLink posted:

Isnt that a common practice in China?

Fisting android girls?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
yes, but also

Barudak posted:

One other chinese thing, its extremely common to ask for your salary before getting a job offer. The twist is they request your bank statements so they can see exactly how much is deposited into your account each month. Refusing to share your statements as a Chinese national is typically a hard pass on hiring you, so enter the lucrative world of professional photoshopping bank statements.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Depends on experience. Early-mid 00's my dad was getting $600/hr expert witnessing for having 20 OSHA + 8 private sector years.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

SkyeAuroline posted:

I was outside of a six foot radius of their desk (...by a matter of inches) so it was deemed unnecessary to even tell me that she tested positive. I only found out because the next closest person was immediately sent home to quarantine. Does this mean I'm exposed? Probably! Do I get to quarantine at home? Nope!

Last followup: yup, we have two more confirmed infections and that's finally enough cause to send people home. But, yknow, just our team, no other department needs to know. And we'll come back next week (I don't like WFH so having an established end date is nice, but...).

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013

I met with the president of a safety consulting company about an hour ago. He said he charges subs and GCs between $65-75/hr for his guys depending on qualifications, plus a flat rate for per diem. I brought up some of his competitors and he said they typically charge $50-60/hr but then they tack on extra fees for providing a cell phone and laptop and they'll charge more for per diem.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

kntfkr posted:

Depends on experience. Early-mid 00's my dad was getting $600/hr expert witnessing for having 20 OSHA + 8 private sector years.

fuuuck. That's expert witnessing which is a bit different from normal consults.

I really went into the wrong field.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

iroc.dis posted:

I met with the president of a safety consulting company about an hour ago. He said he charges subs and GCs between $65-75/hr for his guys depending on qualifications, plus a flat rate for per diem. I brought up some of his competitors and he said they typically charge $50-60/hr but then they tack on extra fees for providing a cell phone and laptop and they'll charge more for per diem.

That's a company rate. The people doing the work are making like $20 or so an hour and that's a complete ripoff if the person in question has licenses, trainings, certificates, etc. I have to pay our contractors and work with them, so I know the cost vs payout.

Flat rate for an engineer in my company is $86/hr. That's the estimated cost of salary and benefits for someone making between 80 and 120k a year. Basically anything under that and you are lowballing. Companies do short term contracts for $20 to $40 more per hour because they know they won't be paying that forever and would rather spend more in the short term than divert internal resources.

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

vyst posted:

I always just bump my salary 20% as a bare minimum when they ask then everything above that is gravy. If they respond it's at the higher part of the range, my usual go to is "Well i'll leave it to your discretion on how you translate my experience into an offer". It's a vague enough "that's not my problem".

If companies can say the "experience of working here is valuable" to me when I ask about a raise, then I can say that's worth an extra 30k when interviewing :colbert:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Take the last salary/wage or the salary you'd expect as a perm. It'll be the same if you have an agency with full benefits and active placement support. Double it if you have placement and other agency handled overhead like contract negotiation and accounts receivable management but no benefits. Triple it if you are independent and staff yourself including any and all overhead like contract negotiation and accounts receivable management or paying an admin or paralegal to help with any overhead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

My boss just denies reality when he doesn't like something or someone tells him he is wrong.

I had some discussion with him a few months ago about what equipment we had in the warehouse. It was not the stuff he was looking for or expected to be there so he told me I was wrong and he is always right. Full stop. I'm sorry, but if the equipment in the warehouse says it is control number 67336 you can't just tell me it is 66087 like you wanted. The numbers are carved into the loving molds.

Today he told me I was falling behind on taking out the trash and the trash barrels by the lathes were "visibly overflowing". I checked on them and they are at most halfway full with nothing visibly sticking out.

Once my wife's job becomes permanent full-time in a couple months I am leaving this stupid place and going back to school for my masters. I can't wait.