Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Paul Zuvella posted:

I feel like people are completely missing the point of my criticisms here. I dont want story spoon fed to me like im a huge dumb baby; I want these characters to be diverse and interesting and have personalities other than the basic personality traits the game lets them have.

I want Alphen to react to the world being way beyond the scope of his comprehension becasue otherwise he is just the stoic guy with a big flaming sword. Law is angry punch man trying to atone for his past. Shionne is tsundere shooty murder girl who... well I dont actually know anything about her yet so yeah.

Because it was cool, came out of nowhere, was shocking to me, the player. There is an expectation that when something out of nowhere happens in a story that will surprise a player that the game will acknowledge it in some way. In a narrative game, this is generally done through the lens of the characters you are playing as.

Maybe its my fault for seeing the dragon because picking up the sidequest, but I dont think its unreasonable for the game to acknowledge something like this at all.

Out of curiosity what game do you play which has the demands you are asking for? Because even the most in depth RPGs on the planet don't have the cast freaking the gently caress out over every new insane legendary thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Out of curiosity what game do you play which has the demands you are asking for? Because even the most in depth RPGs on the planet don't have the cast freaking the gently caress out over every new insane legendary thing

Most games arent about people who are enslaved, denied knowledge of their history and world, confined to one specific area of their planet (or in law's case, 2), and are now breaking the shackles of that enslavement and venturing beyond those confinments for the first time.

Hope that clears things up for you!

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 13, 2021

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Music in the 4th area town sounds like the Dark Souls guy trying to write Nier music

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Music in the 4th area town sounds like the Dark Souls guy trying to write Nier music

speaking of nier, took me way too long to realize what I had heard Alphen's VA in recently

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

VanillaGorilla posted:

Just finished the 5th lord and goddamn that was a death march - just masses of hard encounters eating your resources and like 3 boss fights in a row. Felt like it was the end boss run in any other JRPGz except this one is gunna keep going apparently and somehow I feel like I have even less of an idea of what’s going on in this story than before.

Still having a lot of fun but the overarching story is definitely accelerating into some weird swerves.

this is where is dropped it to easy mode because i dont feel like having to grind for money to keep restocking items. i might bump it back up to normal if it gets easier to make cash later on.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

i wish i had kisara already! gosh!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I think dragons should always be a big deal, no matter the game. Like, even in the hit kids movie "How to Train Your Dragon" you still have people screaming about dragons from time to time.

Make a jrpg how to train your dragon

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Shinjobi posted:

I think dragons should always be a big deal, no matter the game. Like, even in the hit kids movie "How to Train Your Dragon" you still have people screaming about dragons from time to time.

Make a jrpg how to train your dragon

play the Breath of Fire games

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

maybe just 3 and dq

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The Dragon is just another powerful monster like the other big ones they have fought. It's not particularly special.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'd like to know how the slaves would react to this thread bring pages of whining about a sidequest mob

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

JBP posted:

I'd like to know how the slaves would react to this thread bring pages of whining about a sidequest mob

They wouldn't acknowledge it and even if they did they'd just get interrupted by Shionne complaining about how hungry she is.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The correct reaction I think

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Phantasium posted:

maybe just 3 and dq

dq is incredibly underrated

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Barudak posted:

Game would be improved if Law were jettisoned entirely from the game

I can't wait for model swaps on PC. Replace Law with Zephyr. Have a giant Hootle in your party and a tiny flying Rinwell as your companion. Replace Kisara's shield with another Kisara. The possibilities are endless!

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Am I missing something or is there no way to get AI controlled Shionne to use her aerial poison attack?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

ASenileAnimal posted:

dq is incredibly underrated

It's the only BoF game that manages to be more than really rote JRPG cliches. Naturally the fans hated it because you can't solve every fight with "turn into a dragon"

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Defiance Industries posted:

It's the only BoF game that manages to be more than really rote JRPG cliches. Naturally the fans hated it because you can't solve every fight with "turn into a dragon"

Well, you can. But only for so long and solve too many problems that way and it's game over.

I really liked Dragon Quarter's resource economy. Dragon was an "I Win" button for pretty much any encounter but you had to literally pick your battles. The restarting mechanic was pretty cool too. drat I think I want to play it again.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Bof died because it was already a super low selling franchise that fell behind other jrpgs as the killing blow in the ps2.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

CubeTheory posted:

Am I missing something or is there no way to get AI controlled Shionne to use her aerial poison attack?

Pause go to arte menu and command her to do so.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I think yall are really underestimating the power of the hit kids movie how to train your dragon

Anywho, I just got to the 2nd land. It's cold. Poison jellyfish mobs give me the willies.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Ok game I'm not even halfway through I think and you're already throwing the endgame at me.
How can I move on without catching every single fish in Dahnan.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Ok game I'm not even halfway through I think and you're already throwing the endgame at me.

You need better rods and some lures that Im not sure you can finish the first three lakes by themselves

Arc Impulse
Jun 5, 2010

Fun Shoe

Calaveron posted:

Barudak posted:

You need better rods and some lures that Im not sure you can finish the first three lakes by themselves

Yeah, once fishing unlocked the quest to save the world was promptly put aside so I could start chasing fish log completion. You can definitely get the second rod at the point it unlocks at least, but there'll be a few things that I don't think you can feasibly jump back to get in the first few fishing spots until you progress far enough through the story to get other lures at least.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Is there any other super major gameplay mechanics added after getting 6 more arte slots?

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
does anyone have any tips for playing as rinwell? never used a magic person in a tales game before. I'm circa chapter 3. Any particularly good artes/combos i should look out for, any particular unlocks i should beeline, should i always be doubling up/combining or should I chain cast, etc?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

On the note of fishing, I don't know when the lures become buyable but they are certainly buyable after it unlocks with the inns in each city carrying a different lure.

Edit: Fishing is also a pretty good source of cash, if you can stand it

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

You can find different lures in chests as well

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Every game needs fishing. I just unlocked chain battles and I'm hoping fishing is next, and soon.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I like that Dohalim is a very pretty boy thats cool and collected but is also a massive nerd and everyone starts to panic when they are told they might be as nerdy as him.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

not OP but the first Xenoblade did a really good job of establishing the weird world and how the characters react to things as they explore.

i generally agree with them though that the framing of the story is really weird. the characters lack presence in the world for the most part. i don't think it's a weird complaint to have.

FZeroRacer fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Sep 14, 2021

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Overbite posted:

Every game needs fishing. I just unlocked chain battles and I'm hoping fishing is next, and soon.

It's a bit after the 3rd Lord so fishing is soon friend

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

FZeroRacer posted:

not OP but the first Xenoblade did a really good job of establishing the weird world and how the characters react to things as they explore.

There's actually a lot of conflicting details and general lack of details that make that world one of the weaker RPG worlds.
The mentor party member is on record for both calling a race a myth upon joining the party, and being passive aggressive at them for not helping the war later.
Any detail not relevant to the plot is also just not addressed at all, Colony 9 and 6 exist, but the other 7 numbers you can assume existed at one point are never mentioned at all, among other details that make the world feel as if it just popped into existence for the plot.

Flyin Jim Elbows
Jul 10, 2008

College Slice
I just made it to the third city and I'm starting to wonder if I'm missing something about the leveling system. I've been grinding like crazy because I feel like I'm very under leveled here, but each fight just seems to give an absolutely negligible amount of experience, even with a high bonus chain. Is there something else I'm supposed to be doing to gain levels?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Flyin Jim Elbows posted:

I just made it to the third city and I'm starting to wonder if I'm missing something about the leveling system. I've been grinding like crazy because I feel like I'm very under leveled here, but each fight just seems to give an absolutely negligible amount of experience, even with a high bonus chain. Is there something else I'm supposed to be doing to gain levels?

Not really. Leveling is kind of slow in the game as titles and equipment provide a lot of your stat bonuses.

In the third city and after the third city finishes a bevvy of sidequests will open up and you'll get a lot of titles and SP, so the game opens a little as well to mop up stuff you may have had to leave behind.

Bergeron gives quest; defeat a level 21 zeugle. Oh wow, you beat it, have another quest to beat... a level 14 zeugel. Bergeron, you ok?

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

MythosDragon posted:

There's actually a lot of conflicting details and general lack of details that make that world one of the weaker RPG worlds.
The mentor party member is on record for both calling a race a myth upon joining the party, and being passive aggressive at them for not helping the war later.
Any detail not relevant to the plot is also just not addressed at all, Colony 9 and 6 exist, but the other 7 numbers you can assume existed at one point are never mentioned at all, among other details that make the world feel as if it just popped into existence for the plot.
see those are two separate things though. every game world is going to have some set of inconsistencies at its core because game dev is a chaotic beast. some bits of lore will be dropped as content is cut or as the scope changes. you can have that and still manage to ground a world through the characters and how lived in it feels.

arise suffers from that a bit because even with the whole skits stuff they focus so much on the interparty dynamics that they almost entirely miss the world. i don't get a sense of the characters having lived there at all because you're going from one wild dynamic to the next with a shrug. none of the areas are given a chance to breathe so it ends up feeling like a Elemental Funhouse in comparison to the vast and diverse areas in Xenoblade.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Xenoblade's world was a nonsense funhouse and the narrative tanks in quality around the second big dungeon due to pretty much all the world building getting trashbinned for new world building that isn't as interesting. It also doesn't touch on things like apparently they have piles of anti-mechon weapons among a myriad of other things.

Tales of Arise so far has been pretty blunt; Dahna has been terraformed by the colonizers and this is messed up, but its also been 300 years so it is also normal

Edit: Is this just an error on Xbox where the skit names don't pop up next to the skit indicator?

Barudak fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Sep 14, 2021

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Kisara is too good for the rest of the party, drat.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sydin posted:

Kisara is too good for the rest of the party, drat.

Kisara sells the "was a slave" thing in so far as she knows how to do a little of everything (cook, fish, repair, etc.) related to survival and is obssessed with not slipping back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

ImpAtom posted:

I felt like Disco Elysium did a pretty good job at portraying the journey of being an amnesiac character and being befuddled at learning all of the intricacies of the world, from the mundane (what is money) to the absolutely crazy (what is the Pale)