Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Platystemon posted:

Well for one thing, that flat shipping fee has not changed in a decade, so inflation alone can explain how the remainder can go from one cent to more than a dollar.

As for increases beyond that, USPS Media Mail rates have gone up in the last few years. The pandemic may have disrupted sources of used books like library sales.

Amazon is constantly fiddling with their fees that make certain business operations more or less profitable. Here’s an article on once such change from years ago.

Oh I hadn't even thought of the flat shipping fee thing. That explains a lot, thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Do goons think that the word "butte" is pronounced like "butt"? I'm like 99% sure it's a joke but over the years I keep seeing comments that sow the seeds of doubt.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

The Moon Monster posted:

Do goons think that the word "butte" is pronounced like "butt"? I'm like 99% sure it's a joke but over the years I keep seeing comments that sow the seeds of doubt.
There's a town in Montana called Butte and it's pronounced BYEU-tte.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Yeah I've always heard byoot. However I do like to pronounce it like Butt when it's funny (which is usually)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
It’s not butt-ee????

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
It's definitely byute, rhymes with cute.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

The e is silent. Same as catte and dogge.

I mean, when you're talking about a tochus, that is. Otherwise all bets are off.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
What's something that can fill a room with a unpleasant chemical smell for an ambience I'm creating, but isn't dangerous?

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

NotNut posted:

What's something that can fill a room with a unpleasant chemical smell for an ambience I'm creating, but isn't dangerous?

Go to a Dollar Tree and check out the air fresheners, or buy something with rubber on it from Harbor Freight and keep it in a ziploc until needed.

Alternately:

Ask yo mama to come by.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

A cupful of bleach or ammonia (but not both, cause that'll kill you)

Or a quick spray or two of brake cleaner or starter fluid for a petroleum + ether scent

Cup of antifreeze for a unique, sweetish chemical odor

E: and by cupful I literally mean just pour some (like a few tablespoons) in a cup and put the cup somewhere, don't splash it around (obvious but worth mentioning)

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Sep 14, 2021

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

The Moon Monster posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OK3h3a2cX4&t=137s

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

What actually happens at the Met Gala after everyone finally gets inside

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Badger of Basra posted:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Badger of Basra posted:

:gooncamp:

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

Badger of Basra posted:

have you not watched the acclaimed documentary "Ocean's 8" ?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm sure that there is an easy fix for this but my brain isn't working this morning. How can I make it so that the "This PC" aka "My Computer" icon is the first, most top-left-hand-corner-est icon on my desktop? Windows wants Recycle Bin to get the top spot and just throws This PC around randomly, which is a pain in the rear end

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Professor Shark posted:

I'm sure that there is an easy fix for this but my brain isn't working this morning. How can I make it so that the "This PC" aka "My Computer" icon is the first, most top-left-hand-corner-est icon on my desktop? Windows wants Recycle Bin to get the top spot and just throws This PC around randomly, which is a pain in the rear end

Right-click on your desktop and check to make sure "View -> Auto arrange icons" is turned off. Even if it is, Windows sometimes randomly decides to rearrange stuff, but usually leaves things where you put them.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

The Moon Monster posted:

In school, we were absolutely taught it was pronounced "butt." I've always thought people pronouncing it as "byoot" were just trying to socially pressure the pronunciation. I guess I was the one who was wrong, though. And also my loving grade school teachers.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Frenchman%27s_Butte

When I was a kid we'd regularly take field trips to Frenchman's Butte.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I once had the pleasure of staying at a hotel on Black Butte Dr in Weed, California

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Leal posted:

I once had the pleasure of staying at a hotel on Black Butte Dr in Weed, California

That town has a population of all like sixteen people but I don't know a single person who hasn't stayed there.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Like I specifically remember being a dorky anxious kid reading about looking at pictures of geologic formations in my illustrated encyclopedia, seeing the word 'butte,' and specifically looking it up because I felt embarrassed saying the word 'butt' out loud and didn't want it to be pronounced that way, and feeling relieved that it wasn't.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Can anyone recommend a foot warmer? My feet get cold in this loving miserable plague-ridden tundra and no level of thick wool socks helps

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
https://www.amazon.ca/Portable-Electric-Heater-Thermostat-Ceramic/dp/B08C2ZKFP3/ref=lp_2224065011_1_11?dchild=1

I have this thing under my desk and it works well. Fan is a bit noisey so you'll want to turn it off during a zoom meeting or whatever. But its fine otherwise.

sorry about the loving miserable plague-ridden tundra

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Get some heated battery powered rechargeable socks

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

My personal experience as someone who likes chilly rooms and winter up north is that when you're using those small ceramic space heaters, any setting that gets your feet toasty is going to be uncomfortably hot for the rest of your body, particularly your legs. I'd look for something a lot more targeted, like an electric blanket you shove your feet into.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

regulargonzalez posted:

Get some heated battery powered rechargeable socks

These look like they’ve really come down in price, actually! Maybe I’ll grab some of those.

The heater would be great but the rest of the room would get real hot so that’s unfortunate.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Try getting some indoor shoes/loafers with an insulating sole. Socks have trouble insulating against cold floors.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
How many people do you think you'd need to beat a chimp in a nude fight to the death in a featureless void?

There is a level floor.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

At least a dozen. Chimpanzees are stupid strong, can bite a hand off and don’t tire easily.

I figure maybe 4 or 5 attack at time and the replacements step in as people are maimed.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

My father posted this screenshot on Facebook showing a search for curtain cleaners in Victoria, Australia that seems very weird.

First, that just seems like a lot of curtain cleaning businesses but also, as far as I'm aware, "LLC" doesn't mean anything in Australia as it's the American equivalent of "Pty Ltd".

Anyone got any idea what's going on there?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

My father posted this screenshot on Facebook showing a search for curtain cleaners in Victoria, Australia that seems very weird.

First, that just seems like a lot of curtain cleaning businesses but also, as far as I'm aware, "LLC" doesn't mean anything in Australia as it's the American equivalent of "Pty Ltd".

Total random guess, but maybe there's American companies that registered with Google, and that filled in their location data wrong? That still seems like an awful lot of curtain cleaners though.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

The recurring Pocket and SNR names are kind of weird. Unless that’s a common name for the region or something

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

In the US a lot of dry cleaning places also offer drapery cleaning. Maybe these are general textile cleaning companies that offer drapery cleaning services. Alternatively, they’re not actually dry cleaners but like them: very inexplicably have not been corporatized and franchised and instead there is a mom and pop shop in every town with at least 10,000 residents.

E: should have looked at the map earlier:

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Lawnie posted:

In the US a lot of dry cleaning places also offer drapery cleaning. Maybe these are general textile cleaning companies that offer drapery cleaning services. Alternatively, they’re not actually dry cleaners but like them: very inexplicably have not been corporatized and franchised and instead there is a mom and pop shop in every town with at least 10,000 residents.

E: should have looked at the map earlier:

The weird parts are that this is far regional Australia and those towns probably don't have anywhere close to those populations, LLC is not a thing in Australia and the names are all weirdly similar to each other.

ETA: oh lol I read that as 1,000 people, never mind 10,000.

Organza Quiz fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Sep 17, 2021

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Boba Pearl posted:

How many people do you think you'd need to beat a chimp in a nude fight to the death in a featureless void?

There is a level floor.

one but even though hes naked, he does bring a gun

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Boba Pearl posted:

There is a level floor.

Do chimp blood vessels work the same way as humans? If so I feel like two or three might get the job done, if you could distract the chimp while allowing one guy to take its back and choke it out.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Tiggum posted:

I'd quit asking questions about this before it's too late :tinfoil:

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â
I think a single, adult human could take on a single, adult chimp. People are a lot bigger and, contrary to popular belief, their muscles aren't that much stronger than ours to overcome the size difference. Chimp attacks are vicious, but the victims are always caught off-guard (and are often children, eldery, sick, etc.) If you had time to prepare and you had the adrenaline pumping through you, you could absolutely overpower a chimp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
Are there energy drinks without all the vitamins and electrolytes or whatever? I just want the caffeine, but I'm tired of coffee.