Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Thankfully I'm not taking that angle though. I am approaching it from "I'm a dumb American I had no idea that Stalin killed 5 digits worth of people either through shipping them all to Siberia or negligence" until I started playing this kinds of games and doing some of my own research. Stalin having a Purge Button in HoI4 does nothing to illustrate that he was also a mass murderer. Germany industrialized killing people at an unprecedented rate and something should be said about it in the game; Stalin killed off million of people and something should be said about it in the game; the US imprisoned hundreds of thousands of people for the simple fact of being Asai and something should be said about it in the game.

Germany was by far the worst but most people know about it (and far too many deny it) meanwhile Stalin gets treated as a gentleman that was friends with FDR in history books.

All this to disagree with "Germany should not be playable in HoI". I'd rather see events like Romania gets for its King's lifestyle, but worse, where Hitler suddenly diverts resources for something bad. Make players sign an affirmation of "Yes I understand that Hitler and Nazi Germany committed mass murderer on a horrific scale" to get the flavor text about genocide to go away. I dunno, something needs to be done.

while the fact that the holocaust literally doesn't get mentioned leaves a bad taste in my mouth I do understand it. I have a suspicion that, far from discouraging or educating people, it would in fact encourage exactly the worst possible kind of person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Thankfully I'm not taking that angle though.
I was talking about the other poster.

I am approaching it from "I'm a dumb American I had no idea that Stalin killed 5 digits worth of people either through shipping them all to Siberia or negligence" until I started playing this kinds of games and doing some of my own research. Stalin having a Purge Button in HoI4 does nothing to illustrate that he was also a mass murderer. Germany industrialized killing people at an unprecedented rate and something should be said about it in the game; Stalin killed off million of people and something should be said about it in the game; the US imprisoned hundreds of thousands of people for the simple fact of being Asai and something should be said about it in the game.

Germany was by far the worst but most people know about it (and far too many deny it) meanwhile Stalin gets treated as a gentleman that was friends with FDR in history books.
???

All this to disagree with "Germany should not be playable in HoI". I'd rather see events like Romania gets for its King's lifestyle, but worse, where Hitler suddenly diverts resources for something bad. Make players sign an affirmation of "Yes I understand that Hitler and Nazi Germany committed mass murderer on a horrific scale" to get the flavor text about genocide to go away. I dunno, something needs to be done.
I can see the argument, though it runs into the issue of letting players very explicitly assist Hitler in committing genocide.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i'm approaching it from an angle of "making a major country that everyone wants to play in a paradox game into an npc is stupid as gently caress" lol that that makes me a holocaust denier

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

playing as germany should make you hate hitler even more because he's constantly loving up the war effort. just endless bullshit that gets in the way of winning. you aren't really even "changing history" in an idle alt-hist kind of way if you don't have to contend with the same obstacles that germany actually did contend with

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa is one of the best examples I've seen of illustrating the horrors of the German warmachine and the regime behind it whilst not turning the game into an atrocity slideshow. It's not quite compable with HOI IV given you're playing as a Field Marshal in a specific campaign, but via its political point system and (semi) random events it makes you grapple with the idea of culpability and brutality. Hell whilst rudimentary it even rolls to see if you face a warcrimes tribunal post war. It's not perfect by any means, but it's a really good illustration of balancing mechanical options with what played out in the period depicted.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

This is why Close Combat 2 is the best WW2 game. The Allied side is the losing side in an interesting three pronged operation with varied terrain and environments, with a reason to rush. Operation Market Garden is the best space for a game.

SkySteak posted:

Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa is one of the best examples I've seen of illustrating the horrors of the German warmachine and the regime behind it whilst not turning the game into an atrocity slideshow. It's not quite compable with HOI IV given you're playing as a Field Marshal in a specific campaign, but via its political point system and (semi) random events it makes you grapple with the idea of culpability and brutality. Hell whilst rudimentary it even rolls to see if you face a warcrimes tribunal post war. It's not perfect by any means, but it's a really good illustration of balancing mechanical options with what played out in the period depicted.

I love that the very first choice is "Are you playing as a Nazi" followed by "Are you listening to Hitler?". It helps so much in painting the breadth and division within the German war machine, especially in not being "warcrimes yes or no" but also, "which warcrimes", showing the different flavours of awful.

Also, Stalin having a purge button is good. Stalin's purge button being justified by a civil war unless he purges hard enough is bad. Again, I prefer DC:B's approach of Stalin just becoming increasingly paranoid about random generals and people, and if it gets to high he just has more people killed.

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018
The US, Brazil, and Oman should be unplayable in Vicky because of slavery. My day 1 mod will address this.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Zesty posted:

Is it worth grabbing Surviving Mars + Green Planet while they're on sale? I don't know ANYTHING about the game, but Green Planet seems like a fun idea for long-term goals in a colony type game. Or is the game too.... Paradox poisoned?

Surviving Mars and all it's DLCs other than the latest one is -absolutely- worth it. The replay value isn't too high beyond doing a handful of runs as different sponsors, but by then you'll definitely have had your money's worth. It's also a really pretty game and making pretty colonies is fun.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

i'm approaching it from an angle of "making a major country that everyone wants to play in a paradox game into an npc is stupid as gently caress" lol that that makes me a holocaust denier

That's how war is these days

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
If the criteria is 'countries that do genocides shouldn't be playable' welp.. Sorry, Vicky3, Eu4, CK3, etc.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
drat people just spent two pages doing whataboutism about someone saying that it's a terrible idea to let people play as the nazis without having a single mention of anything the nazis did outside of declaring wars.

you can (and should) have an american and soviet government that doesn't cause genocides or mass killings, either deliberately or by accident. the entire concept of Nazism is to make genocides. literally divert resources from the frontlines to do genocide.

goons complained about paradox being soft on the wehraboos so hard that they started emulating their arguments, fascinating.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The only 'good' response to this is just not to make video games about WWII, or other large scale conflicts in which countries did bad things.

Which isn't necessarily the worst idea, but would deprive Paradox of basically all of their big games but Stellaris.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Except you can also commit even more massive, futuristic, not-yet-possible war crimes in Stellaris! :v:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Just as a side note, I'm pretty sure events going "Hello I see you are playing Germany please click this event to confirm that you are doing the genocides and all such" and "Hello I see you are still playing Germany please let me give you an update on all the genocides you're doing: Yep, still doing genocides" would get the game super hyper mega banned in Germany in an instant, even if it were to be removed in the German version. I presume it's been hard enough getting "play as the Nazis" past the authorities, so I very highly doubt the idea of "Hello we want to continue selling this game that in other regions shows the player how they are doing the genocides by playing" is going to fly.

Also, Paradox balks at the basic idea of civilian casualties of war even existing as far as HoI4 is concerned.

PepperKeibu
May 1, 2009

Zesty posted:

Is it worth grabbing Surviving Mars + Green Planet while they're on sale? I don't know ANYTHING about the game, but Green Planet seems like a fun idea for long-term goals in a colony type game. Or is the game too.... Paradox poisoned?

You are more likely to get information about Surviving Mars in the Management Games thread.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Mans posted:

you can (and should) have an american and soviet government that doesn't cause genocides or mass killings, either deliberately or by accident. the entire concept of Nazism is to make genocides. literally divert resources from the frontlines to do genocide.

Uh, I got bad news for you chief, Soviet ideology likewise makes not having genocides or mass killings pretty darn near impossible. It kinda thrives on declaring certain segments or classes enemies of the state.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

???

American Education tends to do an okay job teaching about Nazi genocide and atrocities but a piss poor job about Soviet/Communist state genocides and atrocities. At the school I teach at, when most kids get to me, they know plenty about the Holocaust and Hitler, but don't have the faintest idea who Stalin or Mao are. I showed To Live one year in some of my classes and it blew kids' minds.

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Sep 14, 2021

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Kulaksayswhat?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

Except you can also commit even more massive, futuristic, not-yet-possible war crimes in Stellaris! :v:
But playing intergalactic gluttons who want to eat all other species to extinction is so over the top ridiculous it doesn't compare. Also it's not something that actually happened, hopefully.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

DrSunshine posted:

Yeah, but when I hit the 'glass the Blorg's home planet' button in Stellaris, there aren't actual Blorgs out there who are still traumatized from that time the evil space elves glassed their home planet to launch a petition to get the game banned.

...As far as we know, at least.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Hellioning posted:

Yeah, but when I hit the 'glass the Blorg's home planet' button in Stellaris, there aren't actual Blorgs out there who are still traumatized from that time the evil space elves glassed their home planet to launch a petition to get the game banned.

...As far as we know, at least.

okay sure here we are back to ranking genocides and atrocities :rolleyes:

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
So I don't speak Swedish, but my brief forays into this article via. google translate suggest it's, uh, really bad. https://www.dn.se/kultur/undersokning-bland-anstallda-sexuella-krankningar-och-tystnadskultur-pa-svensk-speljatte/

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
Yall know this is a video game right?

No matter what the gently caress you do or dont do, or how many numbers you manipulate up or down, history already fuckin happened. The game is the history only what if...

The real fuckin sickos are the one massacring whole entire loving planets in stellaris.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Maybe those xenos should have thought about the consequences of claiming a territory on my border if they didn't want to get xenocided. Did you ever think of that?

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Lady Radia posted:

So I don't speak Swedish, but my brief forays into this article via. google translate suggest it's, uh, really bad. https://www.dn.se/kultur/undersokning-bland-anstallda-sexuella-krankningar-och-tystnadskultur-pa-svensk-speljatte/

Some excerpts through google translate, cause this poo poo is real bad:

quote:

Unwanted sexual attention, inappropriate touch and an atmosphere reminiscent of a "boy's club".
In the compilation of the results, the main conclusions are listed. Including that abusive or incorrect treatment "is a systematic and far too common problem"; that women are highly vulnerable; that there is a culture of silence that is consolidated from the management level, and that the company protects perpetrators at the managerial level
Among female employees (who make up 26 per cent of the respondents), the figure is significantly higher than for men: 69 per cent state that they have experienced abusive or incorrect treatment.

49 percent of women say they have been sexually assaulted or abused because of their gender. The corresponding figure for men is 3 percent.
For the wrong or abusive treatment in general, it is most common for either people at managerial level, 29 percent, or other employees in the same position, 28 percent, to be singled out as "perpetrators".

"As people at managerial level are a much smaller group than people in a similar position, this means that they are clearly overrepresented as perpetrators," it says in the compilation of the survey

So Frederick has to go even if only for the symbolism (presuming that sexual misconduct wasnt the reason for why he left before, in which case he shouldn't have even returned!)

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Dramicus posted:

Wouldn't a fantasy ww2 be even worse in this context? As the not-Germany would literally be clean and still attract all the wheraboos just as much as the real, not-clean Germany does?

And if you make the not-Germany dirty, then why not just go back to the real setting at that point?

When I think of fantasy Germany WW2, I think of Fullmetal Alchemist. Lead by a Fuhrer and committing genocide.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Unless that's based on a NEW report that sounds like it's a repeat of the previous Google translate issue? The union's PR guy was in the reddit thread about it going "yeah we had to contact a bunch of news sites to get them to correct their language because it was way worse than what we actually said."

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
If it's as bad as the article makes it out to be, what the hell is up with the union? How was this a surprise to them? I still can't even figure out why it got leaked before, if a union survey showed those results and they felt it was a serious issue shouldn't they have figured out some details before even going to the company management? The only thing that makes sense in this scenario is the union has to be seen as bad as the company itself.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Uh, I got bad news for you chief, Soviet ideology likewise makes not having genocides or mass killings pretty darn near impossible. It kinda thrives on declaring certain segments or classes enemies of the state.

...what?

The end of a social class is a material thing, you don't genocide aristocracy. The forced mass migrations and their lethal consequences weren't part of Soviet ideology but the result of terrible decisions, much like the internment of the Japanese and using Japanese skulls as trophies. The proof of this is that you are able to see years where neither the United States or the USSR actively did all they could to wipe out those most hated minorities from the earth. This was not the case with Nazi Germany. If you're a teacher and I have to tell you this, oh dear.

Neither Franklin nor Stalin spent two decades demanding the total extermination of the Japanese and Cossacks, reached power explicitly wanting this to occur and diverted industry to complete these affairs until enemy troops were literally at the gates of the death camps. HoI actually deals with this in a terrible manner since it actively tells you that Stalin is 100% right and you should do the necessary purges because people are actively sabotaging the USSR unless you stop them. But this is entirely beside the point.

I'm not going to reply much to the rest of your post, I'll only say that, with the endless anti-anything remotely close to center-left (much less actual left) propaganda in the United States, if the kids you know nowadays aren't being constantly convinced by how evil Mao was, it's only because landlords are doing their best to turn a whole generation into his biggest fans :v:

nessin posted:

If it's as bad as the article makes it out to be, what the hell is up with the union? How was this a surprise to them? I still can't even figure out why it got leaked before, if a union survey showed those results and they felt it was a serious issue shouldn't they have figured out some details before even going to the company management? The only thing that makes sense in this scenario is the union has to be seen as bad as the company itself.
The union in question probably has a backlog of thousands of legal cases to go through.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

nessin posted:

They only unionized earlier this year, it's entirely possible this is one of the reasons they wanted to do so.

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018

Mans posted:

drat people just spent two pages doing whataboutism about someone saying that it's a terrible idea to let people play as the nazis without having a single mention of anything the nazis did outside of declaring wars.

goons complained about paradox being soft on the wehraboos so hard that they started emulating their arguments, fascinating.

It is not whataboutism to correctly identify Nazism as the end product of 500 years of Western Imperialism and Colonialism. The Holocaust was preceded by the Spanish treatment of Cubans, British treatment of Boers, Belgian treatment of Congolese, German treatment of Herero and Namaqua people, and American treatment of Indigenous peoples to the west. The latter quite literally inspired Hitler's war of extermination in the east. You could make a compelling strategy game about indigenous peoples resisting a powerful, colonizing force but that isn't what Paradox games are.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
I'll never stop repeating this, because I love it: Turkey is a crazy outlier in that list of played countries and was almost certainly the single driving force behind Battle for the Bosphorus getting made, because Turkey was on the top-five list of most-played countries even when it was a generic-focus-tree country. People just really, really want to play the WW2 era as Turkey.

Certainly helps that BftB's soundtrack additions all slap. I loving love The Black Sea.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

It is not whataboutism to correctly identify Nazism as the end product of 500 years of Western Imperialism and Colonialism

Though one should be very careful to make it clear that Nazism and their genocides were not an inevitable development of those things, nor was it the only possible outcome (or even unique to Germany as the Sonderweg would have it, though that much is clear from your post)

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

American treatment of Indigenous peoples to the west literally inspired Hitler's war of extermination in the east.

I get it, a lot of people hate the US post 1950, but this is just wrong. WW2 is the direct result of WW1, Hitler killing off a shitload of Jews in the background is just the ideological replay of many pogroms of the past which is why there's a word for it.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

I get it, a lot of people hate the US post 1950, but this is just wrong. WW2 is the direct result of WW1, Hitler killing off a shitload of Jews in the background is just the ideological replay of many pogroms of the past which is why there's a word for it.

the Jews were a trial run for what they were going to do to the Slavs in the east (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generalplan_Ost), and yes Hitler himself cited America's project of Manifest Destiny even saying that "the volga will be our mississippi"

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

WW2 is the direct result of WW1

lol yea nah

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Pro tip the Nazis didn't just kill Jews they had very hot takes about Slavs too, specifically how they were going to kill the large majority of them to make room for German settlers and enslave the remaining fraction as agricultural labor on the vast and bountiful weeastern frontier.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Sep 14, 2021

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yea the Holocaust in the popular imagination (and in technical terms) is all about the murder of Jews specifically, but Jewish victims only make up about half of the Nazi murder victims (ie. excluding allied KIAs).

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Sep 14, 2021

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

American Education tends to do an okay job teaching about Nazi genocide and atrocities but a piss poor job about Soviet/Communist state genocides and atrocities. At the school I teach at, when most kids get to me, they know plenty about the Holocaust and Hitler, but don't have the faintest idea who Stalin or Mao are. I showed To Live one year in some of my classes and it blew kids' minds.

where the hell do you live???

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It's extremely common for Amercian schools to stay away from recent history. My education covered very little 20th century history. I only learned about Watergate and Vietnam in detail in senior year and maybe that's just because they gave the teacher some leeway because he was a vet with a purple heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yeah, it is actually quite a strange decision to make a game where you can play as any country in the world, so centered around just one country. Sure, it was core driver of the war (in Europe), but in terms of designing gameplay it seems very strange. Like, they've built an entire gameplay system that seems designed specifically to make the player think "Well, this sucks", then let a couple of countries get around it, when it'd make far more sense to design the game to be fun for the vast majority of countries.

It's hard to escape when the start date is 1936 and the player gets control over industrial development. The player knows WWII is coming, and so no matter what country they play, they'll pursue expanding their industry and building up their military way harder than most countries actually did historically in that period. Especially since HoI4 is a pure wargame where that's all you can really do in peacetime anyway aside from waiting for focuses to run.

It's a design problem any WWII game has to deal with, and the more power and freedom is given to the player, the more things have to be railroaded or restricted to keep a historical-ish WWII possible.