Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Jan posted:

Is there a new OP or has no one truly said anything until Season 5 landing today?

I'm still only in the first episode, but my hope is still that the show writers manage to make Marco and Fillip not be comic book dunce villains, much like they made Afford into a relatable "villain" for the show.

This is the book thread. The non-reader thread and the spoilers thread have been active over in TVIV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Oh cool I was looking for a thread to talk about the tabletop RPG.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You ever get that warm fuzzy feeling inside when your brother who doesn't usually like SF starts watching the TV show, realizes that they use proper physics that tickle his NASA fascination and is now simul-watching the show and reading the books faster than you are?

Because it feels nice to have someone to talk to about the books.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I posted pics of my kickstarter Roci model in the other thread, if anyone is interested! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3906760&pagenumber=198#post512774256

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

That's cool as hell. Sucks I missed out

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Cover for the 2022 collection which will include all of the previous stories plus a new novella. Hopefully you can just get the new novella separately instead of rebuying all of them.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is that coming out before or after Leviathan Falls?

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
After. Falls comes out this November.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Pretty stoked for leviathan falls. Also cool to see there's an omnibus with all the shorts coming out too. Count me as one of the folks who was waiting on one before reading the shorts.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

frogge posted:

Pretty stoked for leviathan falls. Also cool to see there's an omnibus with all the shorts coming out too. Count me as one of the folks who was waiting on one before reading the shorts.

Same

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I wasn't specifically waiting for one, but it coming out reminds me that I haven't read any of them yet, so that's convenient

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I've read most of them but I missed a few, this will be a good way to get all caught up.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Quick question about the last two books: Does Eye of the Typhoon ever actually use the 'shoot Ring Station with the projector to trigger a Gamma Burst' thing, after the first time when Tempest does it? I'm wondering if the lack of response was less because it was in Slow Zone and just because the Goths were waiting to see if it was a one-off event. We know it caught their attention - space starts boiling around the rings at the same time the field projector is used in the Slow Zone.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Lester Shy posted:

Cover for the 2022 collection which will include all of the previous stories plus a new novella. Hopefully you can just get the new novella separately instead of rebuying all of them.

if this isn't one massive foot thick book i will be sorely disappointed

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Well I just got caught up on all the books and I'm looking forward to book 9.

Tiamat's Wrath was a hell of a book :stare:

The only thing I had a question about was the size of the Ringbuilder's empire. It was previously described as spanning the entire Milky Way. Then in one of the later books it's mentioned that its 1,000 light years in diameter (The farthest two systems in the ring network are 1,000 light years apart.)

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I think that 1,000 light year figure is in reference to systems that they've positively identified the location of. There's a lot of them that they don't know where they are in relation to each other.

kerwyn
Aug 21, 2007
Abaddon's Gate also describes them destroying multiple systems (hundreds?) to try to contain what killed them.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Ok that makes sense. Thanks.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I thought the point was that the vast unknowable power that made the gates only bothered to do so in a tiny corner of the galaxy. Because our galaxy is really big.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I think maybe there's a difference between only managed to do so vs only bothered to do so. Who knows how many other Phoebe's they fired off to the other side of the galaxy before they went extinct.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
The galaxy literally is not old enough for them to have left their tiny corner. Their protomolecule rocks are stuck moving at less that FTL speeds (hence needing the gates to go places), and there just hasn't been enough time for a bunch of fast moving, but still very slow rocks to make it farther than a tiny little area of the Milky Way.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
That's fair. And obviously there haven't been any gates opened very much further out as far as anybody could tell, I'm just saying they might have flung some stuff pretty far out and just because it hasn't gotten there & opened a gate doesn't mean they didn't try.

But I also kind of hate when people go on and on speculating about the actions/motivations of fictional entities that will never be answered and this is dangerously close to that so I'm happy to just let it be.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.
Amazon has the prologue and the first 3 chapter of Leviathan's Fall up.

https://twitter.com/JamesSACorey/status/1438981615309377536?s=20

Augustus Woop-Woop
Dec 14, 2003
wang
I don't want that thing anywhere near my ship

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

I can't believe the admiral didn't understand the ramifications of light speed changing for 23 minutes. Haha what an idiot. It's so obvious what that means. One of you should explain it so I know you all know.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

It means that the dick pics everybody was sending each other all across the solar system got there faster. Really just a big win for everybody. Laconia should really be putting this achievement up on a pedestal to show what they can accomplish.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

pik_d posted:

I can't believe the admiral didn't understand the ramifications of light speed changing for 23 minutes. Haha what an idiot. It's so obvious what that means. One of you should explain it so I know you all know.

It doesn't mean anything specific it was just that the speed of light is the absolute bedrock of physics. It's yet another signal of how utterly out of their depth humanity is and the unfathomably large and powerful bear they have poked

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

CommanderApaul posted:

Amazon has the prologue and the first 3 chapter of Leviathan's Fall up.

https://twitter.com/JamesSACorey/status/1438981615309377536?s=20

honestly, those chapters did not thrill me. nine books in, the conclusion to this massive story, and it feels very much like stuff i've read before combined while the worst trait of the authors, using way more words than necessary, continues unabated. hopefully the whole book will be better and it just has a shaky beginning.

Horizon Burning fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Sep 18, 2021

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Anonymous Zebra posted:

The galaxy literally is not old enough for them to have left their tiny corner. Their protomolecule rocks are stuck moving at less that FTL speeds (hence needing the gates to go places), and there just hasn't been enough time for a bunch of fast moving, but still very slow rocks to make it farther than a tiny little area of the Milky Way.

While it's true that galaxies are really big, they're also really old. I remember reading a paper on Arxiv claiming even at STL-speeds, a civilization could easily cover the entire galaxy and then die out in under 100 million years if they really wanted to.

Most potential civilizations however, would need giga-years (billions of years) for this, which reduces the number of potential contenders quite a lot, since you need viable planets before you can have viable civilizations, this gives you a lower limit as how far you can go into the past. (For reference, Sol is a 2nd-gen star, and the universe is ca. 14 billion years old, so even if we postulate weird aliens who can thrive in the metal-poor environment of a 1st-gen star universe, this means at most you can go back about half of this before life didn't have enough time yet to create intelligent life, not even hypothetically).

Still, the latter gives you up to 7 billion years up to today for potential civilizations to play around in, which is loving huge. At that time frame, a civilization could use probes traveling at the leisurely pace of our Voyager-probes and still cover the entire galaxy in about 3-4 billion years.

Of course, then the same paper points out species can also go extinct, and that the exact number and spread of life-bearing worlds is still a complete unknown, so it's also very possible each new civilization only creates a tiny "bubble" of settled space around it, before fizzling out. If a species develops in a part with lots of juicy planets around it, but a huge empty desert of dead systems farther out, they'll in all probability collapse again before reaching the other side of that void. Them's the breaks. :v:

The last possibility I mentioned would be your scenario, exactly.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Horizon Burning posted:

honestly, those chapters did not thrill me. nine books in, the conclusion to this massive story, and it feels very much like stuff i've read before combined while the worst trait of the authors, using way more words than necessary, continues unabated. hopefully the whole book will be better and it just has a shaky beginning.

I dig the Laconian admiral in a gay polycule though

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Mameluke posted:

I dig the Laconian admiral in a gay polycule though

yeah but even that made me think of michio pa and her polycule crew and imo the expanse has well and truly hammered down the nail of 'all relationships are valid' at this point so it didn't really make me think anything else

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Looks like we're gettin some later-books stuff in season 6, maybe even the Strange Dogs kids??

https://twitter.com/ExpanseOnPrime/status/1446527317891641346

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Looks like Marco's going to be conquering Tycho instead of Ceres? Makes sense from a conservation of sets perspective but I was really looking forward to seeing Ceres again in what's ostensibly the final season

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I thought this was the spoiler thread but I see spoilers so don't mouse over if you haven't read the books.

Strange Dogs kids may be a hook for what is almost certainly (I hope) going to be a film trilogy.

If a film trilogy happens I think Clarissa would at least survive Persepolis Rising because actors are not as disposable as book characters and we're already down Alex.

I also don't think Avasarala would just die offscreen, she'll probably live to the end.

Finally I think there will be a big sacrifice to destroy one of the magnetars in Tiamat's Wrath but idk if it would be Bobbie still or Clarissa or Bull (he's not even supposed to be there). I think they'd want to keep Bobbie around to the end sans Alex, to have a Martian on the Roci.

I really hope all the hints from cast/crew that this might not be the end in general lead to a trilogy.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Oct 9, 2021

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I think you would need to do a movie-scale budget if you're going to show alien planets with lush biospheres, otherwise it would be a real let down when all of the animals and plants that are seemingly so alien in the books just turn into regular trees and grass and birds and poo poo.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Defiance Industries posted:

I think you would need to do a movie-scale budget if you're going to show alien planets with lush biospheres, otherwise it would be a real let down when all of the animals and plants that are seemingly so alien in the books just turn into regular trees and grass and birds and poo poo.

Right. Which is why I think the show is ending after 6 seasons. 3 seasons of 8-10 episodes apiece that would do the last 3 books justice would require more than the budget of the entire harry potter film series.

If you can do 3 movies at 6-7 total hours, and really market the gently caress out of it, you can make it work. It won't make back its money being as it's on amazon prime, but that's not the point of anything on amazon prime.

edit: you don't even need to go deep into alien biospheres, it's going to be very expensive to show laconion ships, the brain planet, and system wide climactic space battles.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Oct 9, 2021

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
i'm really wondering what the series is doing here. babylon's ashes is just the weakest book, so, i can only assume they'll be changing things up (especially given changes during season 5). but then why introduce laconia if the story isn't going beyond it? while i'd like an adaptation of the later books, i'm really not holding out hope for any movie continuations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's six episodes. Honestly, so little happens in BA that they could do it in six and still still leave them space to insert some extra stuff to make this a satisfying ending. Not much happens. Two or three eps for Ceres and to organise the remaining belters into an alliance, one to execute the simultaneous attacks, one for the battle to retake Medina, one for the Dutchman defense to take out Marco's fleet and then wrap up?

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
there is absolutely no way they're going with the whole dutchman defense thing simply because it is top three worst things in the books. maybe they'd do it if this wasn't the final season, but i really can't seem them doing it now. people would outright compare it to game of thrones (hyperbolically).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They could do it satisfyingly if they tie it in with deeper revelations about the Ringbuilders and goths to help cap off the show instead of just being 'I analysed some stats'. Defeating Marco's last wave by learning The Secrets of the Past and using them against him.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Oct 9, 2021