Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

An okay start, with the potential to be incredible. There's a lot of systems I enjoy much more in HK than Civ, it just needs refinement. Worth buying in now? I dunno. The early game is really solid and while the game breaks at the end game, I guess depends on if that sounds worth putting up with to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

H13 posted:

Sooooo...

Good game\Bad game?
Fun flawed game

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

H13 posted:

Sooooo...

Good game\Bad game?

Good game. I'm really enjoying it, despite the balance issues. I hope they take the time to support and perfect it because I'm a huge Civilization fan and this fixes almost everything that bugs me about Civ.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

It's good enough now that I'll probably never play civ 6 again and civ 7 will have to really change some poo poo for me to even think about it and I've played thousands of hours of civ.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Yeah I'm really enjoying it.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

greazeball posted:

It's good enough now that I'll probably never play civ 6 again and civ 7 will have to really change some poo poo for me to even think about it and I've played thousands of hours of civ.

That's an interesting point. I've contemplated opening Civ 6 again to see how it feels now- I do love the game- but I'm pretty certain I'll just quit the first time my own units get snarled in a traffic jam, or an enemy invasion force patiently lines up to embark onto lake tiles one at a time to get shot.....
Considering the difference between ES2 at launch and ES2 after the expansions (or at least, the good expansions) I'm reasonably confident my remaining irritations with HK will be addressed.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

H13 posted:

Sooooo...

Good game\Bad game?

absolutely good game

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

It's pretty entertaining but couldn't keep me playing it because it's too samey and easy to break. And as has been said the last 2 eras only exist as a joke. It has potential but some of the problems stem from bizarre decisions and not just numbers being off. I'm mostly thinking about the weird pacing and how the game tried having characters represent various empires but then made them so uninteresting and fleeting you don't get any kind of story arc to a playthrough.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Brandfarlig posted:

It's pretty entertaining but couldn't keep me playing it because it's too samey and easy to break. And as has been said the last 2 eras only exist as a joke. It has potential but some of the problems stem from bizarre decisions and not just numbers being off. I'm mostly thinking about the weird pacing and how the game tried having characters represent various empires but then made them so uninteresting and fleeting you don't get any kind of story arc to a playthrough.

I feel like your own Empire has a better story arc and connection than your Empire in Civ but yeah the other Empires around you don't.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
It would probably help if empires were referred to as "so-and-so's empire" instead of whatever civilization they are at moment

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Thom12255 posted:

I feel like your own Empire has a better story arc and connection than your Empire in Civ but yeah the other Empires around you don't.

Sure. Haven't played civ so I can't very well compare them but I'm not that impressed by your own story either. I've played a shitload of Crusader Kings though so maybe I'm making an unfair comparison.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

World Famous W posted:

It would probably help if empires were referred to as "so-and-so's empire" instead of whatever civilization they are at moment

Also if they were a bit more interactive beyond "plz give trade agreement" or "let's not fight/maybe be allowed to fight". Like you've got loads of grievances against me because I razed your favourite porcelain mine, you should be abusing me through diplomatic channels and making threats, not just sitting there going "we don't like what you did" for 100 years and then going "ok never mind".

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
there are too many broken mechanics and outright bugs for me to say this game is good, but it is a solid effort and it is interesting at least. i didn't get really burned out on it until i had put dozens of hours in

i think the state of the game, especially the completely botched endgame, and all of the delays in production indicate that the design is fundamentally flawed. they tried to figure out how to fix it to make the game playable all the way through, but simply ran out of time

well, its an amplitude studios game, so i kinda knew going into it that it would look very great and have some cool ideas while also being wildly unbalanced and broken

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
I've only played about 30 hours before putting it up, but I still had a great time with it and when the mood strikes for me to play this kind of game, it's going to be either Humankind or Stellaris for me personally.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Chamale posted:

They had extensive beta testing of the early eras, but not the later ones.

The bread and circuses of stability seems to only care about bread. You can have a starving city with 25% of the population unemployed, and it'll remain perfectly stable.

Also, it is a problem that the Maker's Quarters produce free industry out of nothing, even in the ancient era. How does a population of 0 build an Egyptian Pyramid?

Maybe have non-emblematic quarters gated behind population. Don't require a pop to "work" the quarter a la Civ, but just a district cap per city?

Like maybe it's 5 quarters standard with +10 for capital +5 for researching hospitals or whatever.

So sure pound out 5 quarters in 1 turn when you up the cap, but you won't skyrocket to infinite launching 100 Mars rockets within a year of discovering steam.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Pangea games are interesting ime because land wars are more likely to happen and trade is harder because resources are both more expensive to purchase due to minimal sea routes and because neighbors can easily screw you over by blocking trade routes with wars or demands.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Danann posted:

Pangea games are interesting ime because land wars are more likely to happen and trade is harder because resources are both more expensive to purchase due to minimal sea routes and because neighbors can easily screw you over by blocking trade routes with wars or demands.

It kinda gets silly with the sea routes. I've had contiguous land borders with other empires with obviously passable terrain and couldn't trade with them because "there are no routes available".

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i've been playing two-continent games with new world enabled, so the neolithic era is always the wild west. i'm up to whatever the 2nd to last difficulty is, and the ai still gets wrecked by playing intelligently and burning down their outposts. in one game, completely bodied one empire so hard they were still in the neolithic stage while i was hitting classical. then their scouts kept spawning deep in my territory after i killed them, because the game just respawns your scout if you're in the neolithic.

and all this is before you get to the ancient era, pick harappans, and immediately steal the ai cities with your 4 stacks of unique scouts. last night played a game where i had 3 cites by turn 34 on ENDLESS SPEED. i didn't even want to keep playing that one because there would have been no challenge to it.

all this said, love the game, fun on its own and has tons of potential.

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Is there a good tier list of cultures yet?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

S tier- production civs
A tier - some random poo poo like Celts, Myceneans, usually an early civ with a strong unique.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
the ai has got it right - the s tier civ is harappans

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
myceneans, harappans, and egyptians are all really strong. celts are great but don't take them if you took harappan, there's not as much value from tripling down on ag civs or on production civs versus taking an excellent ag, an excellent prod, then a milciv or something to be well rounded rather than highly specialized. if you take too many prod civs then you become dependent on building a shitload of districts and its easy to fall behind in money or science or something. likewise, too many ag civs and you'll have a massive pop which you can't put to productive work for lack of districts, or you'll field a giant army you can't afford to maintain

like, maya are really good, but so are egyptians, and khmer are insane. of the three, i'd prefer not to take mayans if possible, because then yeah i've got ridiculous production on my cities but i'm starting to lag behind in other things i need and so i have to spend more time spamming districts to make up for the deficiency, which means i have to take care not to let my stability suffer, etc.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Based on my experience with Humankind difficulty, the Khmer and Turks are S, if you pick anything except those you are probably making a mistake. Production and food are pretty important for the early game, but there's also a lot of value in being well-rounded, so a for a tier list you have to consider what weaknesses you're trying to fill in.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

There are other cultures that are S tier if you want to just conquer a bunch of poo poo like the Huns, Mongols, and Soviets, but yeah it's just all the production cultures.

I play a game and I feel like if I don't choose Khmer I'm handicapping myself. This game needs so much work but a balance patch would be super easy. Still fun though.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Memes aside I think the first two eras have a lot of really strong and interesting choices. It's just the medieval wall of Khmer being way too good and everything else being kind of mediocre. And then for the later eras that dynamic is continued.

But like just focusing on the first two eras (ie the ones that really matter I'd do like.

I don't think Harappa is that good to be S, but the Greek and Persians deserve it because the hoplite and immortal are two of the best units in the game that arrive just when you need them. Easy to research, insanely strong especially against the main threat of the era, and both civs have decent bonuses otherwise.

Nubia could probably be in B since you'll likely never lose the Egyptians, but they are just a slightly weaker version so they deserve some respect. Zhou is a bit specialized, needing mountains, but they are great at setting up a strong game later on. Carthage is insane but you need to be able to put a harbor in every territory you own, but still those Cothons are only slightly weaker Barays.

Rest are whatever, Babylon is neat if you're doing a one city transcend challenge, and I'd only avoid picking D tier stuff as they are so bad, whether in unit or district and you have so much choice.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
harappa is really good IF you have a lot of rivers, otherwise they're solidly good but not OP. sometimes you have that start thats just a mess of rivers all over and then harappa is a no brainer

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Harappa also depends heavily on how many tribes you pick up before going to the Ancient era as the spike to Runners, and the ability to out-class (or match depending on difficulty) AI is a huge deal as it can ensure you can run around pillaging outposts, out-scout for goodie huts, and just generally gently caress with the AI.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i think in all cases going into ancient with more scouts is useful, but not as useful as slamming that first pick if you start in river wonderland and want to grab harappa asap

the big advantage to runners imo is that all of your scouts immediately upgrade and start doing work instead of having to tech up and pay money or worse, find the correct resources. like its not super hard to get both horses and bronze but its possible to be screwed out of your emblematic unit without some annoying steps, instead of just being gifted a bunch of turboscouts immediately

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Eimi posted:

Nubia could probably be in B since you'll likely never lose the Egyptians, but they are just a slightly weaker version so they deserve some respect. Zhou is a bit specialized, needing mountains, but they are great at setting up a strong game later on. Carthage is insane but you need to be able to put a harbor in every territory you own, but still those Cothons are only slightly weaker Barays.

More expensive though. Harbor costs scale twice as fast as other districts according to the wiki. Though I guess that doesn't matter if you build them first.

What difficulty are you guys that are styling on the AI with runners playing on? On humankind it feels like scouts really aren't strong enough to beat up the AI with. Maybe the +1 strength is enough to make that possible but I suspect you'd still need better units.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

In my opinion, this is the tierlist for Humankind difficulty, based on having won several games against the AI.

S tier: Pick this if you have the chance
A tier: Very strong. It’s usually best to choose a mix of focuses
B tier: Worth taking over A if your terrain gets you a lot of bonuses
C tier: Not preferred choices
D tier: Terrible

The best military culture for each era is marked with an asterisk.

Ancient:
A: Egyptians (Builder)
B: Babylonians (Science), Harappans (Food), Myceneans* (War), Zhou (Science)
C: Nubians (Gold), Olmecs (Influence), Phoenicians (Gold)
D: Assyrians (Expansion), Hittites (War)

Classical:
S: Achaemenid Persians (Expansion)
A: Celts (Food), Maya (Builder)
B: Carthaginians (Gold), Huns* (War), Greeks (Science), Romans* (Expansion)
C: Mauryans (Influence)
D: Aksumites (Gold), Goths (War)

Medieval:
S: Khmer (Builder)
A:
B: English* (Food), Mongols* (War), Teutons (Expansion)
C: Aztecs (War), Franks (Influence), Ghanaians (Gold), Norsemen (War)
D: Umayyads (Science), Byzantines (Gold)

Early Modern:
A: Haudenosaunee (Food), Mughals* (Builder)
B: Edo Japanese (Influence), Joseon (Science), Ming (Influence)
C: Dutch (Gold), Ottomans (Expansion), Poles (War)
D: Spanish (Expansion), Venetians (Gold)

Industrial:
A: Mexicans (Food), Siamese (Builder)*
B: Austro-Hungarians (Influence), French (Science), Persians (Builder)
C: Germans (War), Italians (Influence)
D: British (Expansion), Russians (Expansion), Zulu (War)

Contemporary:
S: Turks (Food)
A: Japanese (Science), Swedes (Science)
B: Australians (Builder), Egyptians (Influence), Soviets* (Expansion)
C: Brazilians (Food), Indians (Influence)
D: Americans (Expansion), Chinese (Gold)

Chamale fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Sep 18, 2021

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
In my experience, the immediate science and gold you will earn from simply picking the British by far outweighs their lackluster district. Their bonus is for all of your incorporated territories, not just the ones linked directly to the capital. Blows the French science bonus out of the drat water, unless you built heavy science already or pick Turks next era, but in either case you won't actually need it. Redcoats are Motherfuckers.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Veryslightlymad posted:

In my experience, the immediate science and gold you will earn from simply picking the British by far outweighs their lackluster district. Their bonus is for all of your incorporated territories, not just the ones linked directly to the capital. Blows the French science bonus out of the drat water, unless you built heavy science already or pick Turks next era, but in either case you won't actually need it. Redcoats are Motherfuckers.

That's true, but the new era should be a frenzy of cranking out emblematic districts, which means the French will quickly eclipse the British in science. Emblematic districts are so important, and the British one is not possible to build at all in many games.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Expansion also does no favor for fame score which comes naturally for Food/Science/Industry (and Money if you have cultures specced for it) and favored fame stars yield a lot more fame score especially later in the game.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
The way math works, if you're not in a position to put the districts down immediately, say, everywhere in your empire, within the first few turns, Britain will still earn more science. France is playing catch-up and needs to either far surpass Britain's output or surpass it within only a few turns, or it won't equal the total science, even if it winds up with a higher number. Any advantage revolves around actually building France's districts.

And if you're in a position to immediately build all that, or if the 10% science matters immediately to the same degree the science per territory would, you are already way out in front.

This is why I can't see France as higher tier than Britain, and can't see Britain as low tier. France's advantages only really exist when you don't actually need them. Picking Britain will give you an enormous, immediate advantage, frequently enough to unfuck your science or gold if you hosed either up. In a single turn.

Tldr; France will build on an existing lead, Britain can give you the lead.

Put it this way: picking Britain will absolutely carry you through an entire era in two of the major resources on the first turn of the era, and you will never have to build a single emblematic district to do so. Their district sucks because they very literally do not actually need it.

And then they have Redcoats, who, again, are motherfuckers.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Chamale posted:

Based on my experience with Humankind difficulty, the Khmer and Turks are S, if you pick anything except those you are probably making a mistake.

Soviets can pretty easily add 40-50 strength to every single unit. You can just conquer whole continents with one unit stack without losing any, sure Turks can have a lot of science but Soviet archers can one-shot tanks

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Petition to rename "S-tier" to "Khmer-tier"

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I'll make some saves to compare the British and French benefits.

Pyromancer posted:

Soviets can pretty easily add 40-50 strength to every single unit. You can just conquer whole continents with one unit stack without losing any, sure Turks can have a lot of science but Soviet archers can one-shot tanks

This is true, although you still need to build grievances to fully conquer people. The Turks can end the game outright in 15 turns, the Soviets can win a war against everybody in 15 turns.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Carthage is a B if most of your provinces have coasts. The Cothon is like an actually balanced version of the Baray.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
So based on thread recommendation, I bought the game.

Game is indeed great! It's an evolution of Civ, with...pretty heavy balancing issues and some harsh RNG. It's got potential to be absolutely brilliant here. I love how the combat works and how your Civ evolves is really cool too.

Why is there not an early restart option. Why is this always forgotten about?!

Still trying to figure out the best way to grow my Civ. I actually found Olmec super useful at the start. That influence spike I found really helpful in order to drop down outposts and quickly turning them into cities.

That being said, I think my priorities are wrong in general. Is it better to specialise cities or generalise them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009

H13 posted:

Why is there not an early restart option. Why is this always forgotten about?!

I read this in the snarky narrator's voice.

Finally close to finish one game since I "need" to do that to move to the next difficulty. Last 3 eras have been mostly mashing the end turn button and I'm itching to go back to the Neolithic again.

Turns do seem to be a lot faster on my laptop than Civ 6 though.