Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

There's severe inter CO level capacity issues in some locations due to covid related issues. Of course they don't tell you this until after you order.

(from what I've heard it's a combo of can't get gear and what does come in is allocated mainly to medical related facilities)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
the initial fibre run for another tenant in the building was delayed like four months from summer of last year, so i'm not that surprised

otoh i had figured running the fibre was the heavy lifting and just getting another pair activated would be quite so hard

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

slidebite posted:

CRTC being run by a former Telus exec and lobbyiest rolls back the decision. I, for one, am SHOCKED.

How in the gently caress could they put someone so tainted in that position? Good job, Justin.

Telus Vult

Rogers delenda est

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

slidebite posted:

CRTC being run by a former Telus exec and lobbyiest rolls back the decision. I, for one, am SHOCKED.

How in the gently caress could they put someone so tainted in that position? Good job, Justin.
"He has industry experience! It's what the position needs!" :v:

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

slidebite posted:

I’m pretty sure the CRTC has only ever been run by former telecom execs from the big three. It’s not like it’s just the liberals, the commission has been corrupt since it’s inception.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

EngineerJoe posted:

You're acting like this isn't the desired outcome by the liberals any policitican?

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

infernal machines posted:

the initial fibre run for another tenant in the building was delayed like four months from summer of last year, so i'm not that surprised

otoh i had figured running the fibre was the heavy lifting and just getting another pair activated would be quite so hard

Pulling fibre is the easy part now days. Conduit from the street-building is/was the general delay in the past with landlords making GBS threads bricks about paying for that work until the tenant threatens to sue. I've seen pricing from $1000 to $100k for installing new conduit for buildings when the old one is collapsed or full. (Internal conduit is another similar one - thank bell for forcing everyone to the highest safety standard, but that's generally paid by the tenant who wants the circuit).

The inter CO problem is very annoying - Bell allocates utilization standards on their backhaul circuits in terms of bandwidth sold with a very low 3:1 ratio or something, and not via bandwidth actually used (I'm pretty sure they don't have a way of tracking usage internally). I've spoken with techs who are like "yeah, this is like 1% used, but 100% allocated" when having to repath a circuit when something serious happens.

Since they're losing so much fibre business to their own fibe offerings they are loath to buy more backhaul gear anywhere and their profit margins are falling like a brick. Who needs a 4hr MTTR when you can get a 1G fibe and 1G cable connection for redundancy on different networks (each with a ~24hr MTTR) for a lower combined price.

OTOH, when everything is available, they've actually gotten it down to 3 weeks installation. (+time for resending outsourced installation guys who arrive unannounced demanding access to a datacenter at a receptionist and who Bell can't even verify...) And the reliability truly is very high once installed.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

2 months with Bell MTS and I wish to hell I wasn't forced to take them on. Shaw unfortunately isn't available in East Selkirk. It's in Selkirk but not here.

My first bill was $195. It's supposed to be $140 but the person on the phone said it was setup fees. Ok, I hate it but I get it - your company doesn't waive it and are a bunch of assholes. Whatever. I pay it.

Last week I get a bill saying $83. Weird...

Today I get a bill for $240 - with the $83 being outstanding. I call in and the person tells me they have apparently changed my billing date so it charged me for 2 weeks and today is the new billing cycle or something - so it added the monthly total.

Like, what the gently caress? 2 months in and I am already through bullshit whereas 20 loving YEARS I was with Shaw with my parents, then myself and never - not once, EVER - EHV-ERRR was there a billing issue. Maybe I was lucky. Who knows.

So I said, ok, fine - I'll pay this. But if the next loving bill isn't $140. Well, what am I to do really? I gotta take it. There is no other internet here aside from satellite and I require high speed for work and my hobbies.

Christ. If you have the options, DO NOT GO WITH THESE FUCKERS.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Vintersorg posted:

Like, what the gently caress? 2 months in and I am already through bullshit whereas 20 loving YEARS I was with Shaw with my parents, then myself and never - not once, EVER - EHV-ERRR was there a billing issue. Maybe I was lucky. Who knows.

Installation and cancellation time are always the worst for dumb poo poo like this to happen. I can't speak for MTS but at Shaw it was always due to human error in some form or another. For all its faults the 60s-era backend software they used for everything until alarmingly recently did billing pretty well.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Homeowners: Has anyone ever called their provider out to move their fibre line? When I had Bell out to install Fibe last year I absolutely missed the mark and forgot that the small tree I planted which it's next to would eventually grow. Now a year later this tree seems to be on some kind of super growth homone induced explosion and I can EASILY see it loving up my FTTH installation in anything resembling a strong windstorm.

I'm happy to pay them a second installation fee, just wondering if anyone's done this before. I would hope their system is set up to handle this kind of request.

I mean worst case I guess the tree fucks up my internet and they have to come out to repair it (for free?) which would probably entail re-routing it anyway, but I'd love to head that off before the pass.

And obviously I'll be calling Bell to ask this, just wondering out loud on the internet first :)

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

It's a pain in the rear end (for them, therefore you) generally because it's not a "standard" sales/repair call. But it's possible, just tell them you want to relocate the fiber termination point in your place.

Note that it probably won't be a normal flat install fee - you'll most likely get billed hourly at some obscene rate. Justification for this is that the original install fee was discounted.

Do realize that they really don't care about a cable that will be in tree leaves in a couple of years. They want you to call when it's a problem, not before.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Good point. I’ll call and ask either way but I guess I should prepare for a heftier bill. Since I have a bunch of mobile data in an emergency I guess I can also afford to wait until it happens.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
You could always call and say "Uhh, when your guys installed the line the first time, they didn't account for this rapidly growing tree, which I pointed out to them at the time. They said it would be fine, but like I predicted, the tree is now big and interfering with the install. Can you come and fix your mistake, please!"

Almost all of that work is contracted out, so there's an almost zero chance they'd ever be able to track back the particulars of the first install and what was or wasn't said at the time.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Fallback plan established :3:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Another Fibe question, I want to move my actual modem downstairs to my rack with proper UPS backup. Not terribly interested in having them re-route the ONT since the rack is literally one floor down exactly under the ONT and I’ve already got a conduit for cables.

I do need a longer fibre cable between the ONT and HH3000. Googling suggests this would work. Can anyone confirm firsthand? I’m very out of my element with optical networking media:

https://www.primecables.ca/p-362023-cab-fo-604-all-sca2-singlemode-simplex-scapc-to-scapc-9-micron-fiber-cable-3mm-jacket-lszh#sku373037

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Hers what I picked up from InfiniteCables.com to extend my line:

SC/SC APC Fiber Coupler F/F Singlemode Simplex Ceramic Panelmount, Green
CODE: FO-AD604-PMA

Singlemode Simplex SC/APC to SC/APC 9 Micron Fiber Cable - 3mm Jacket LSZH
CODE: FO-604-06-SCA2
Length: 2m

It's a coupler to connect the existing line and a new cable to run to the modem, all with the correct connectors. When I picked it up at the store, the guy took one look at what was in the bag and said "Moving your Bell modem, huh?"

Also the HH3000 should have a built in battery backup already, unless they're cheating customers these days.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Tge HH3000 has an option for a battery but guess what's an upsell.

In the long run I want it downstairs anyway, it's really out of place where it sits by the door and always gets covered with mail and hats and is only a million degrees hotter than it should be.

Thanks for the part numbers, I'll be doing some ordering. I probably won't run a f/f connector just because I have a hole through the floor right now feeding cabling already but the rest should be good.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Sep 10, 2021

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Martytoof posted:

lol what a bunch of fuckers. Redundant for Bell, I know.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I'm pretty sure it only comes with the battery if you have the home phone service with it, since it's required for the landline service to operate if the power is out. That's why the unit has RJ11 jacks on it.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Chris Knight posted:

Also the HH3000 should have a built in battery backup already, unless they're cheating customers these days.

Have you seen a Bell van go by lately? "Cheating the customers these days" has been their slogan for as long as I can remember

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

I'm pretty sure it only comes with the battery if you have the home phone service with it, since it's required for the landline service to operate if the power is out. That's why the unit has RJ11 jacks on it.
Ah makes sense then. I had the $99 triple bundle which had the phone.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Weirdly, if you have a commercial service that comes with the HomeHub 2000, the ONT will be on a little UPS, but the modem won't.

Varlock
Aug 15, 2001
This is my tracker. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My tracker is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. This tracker is amazing, just like I am amazing.

Martytoof posted:

Another Fibe question, I want to move my actual modem downstairs to my rack with proper UPS backup. Not terribly interested in having them re-route the ONT since the rack is literally one floor down exactly under the ONT and I’ve already got a conduit for cables.

I do need a longer fibre cable between the ONT and HH3000. Googling suggests this would work. Can anyone confirm firsthand? I’m very out of my element with optical networking media:

https://www.primecables.ca/p-362023-cab-fo-604-all-sca2-singlemode-simplex-scapc-to-scapc-9-micron-fiber-cable-3mm-jacket-lszh#sku373037

If you're in Toronto I have a spare cable for this exact purpose you can have for free. It's gotta be like 50 feet or more. Just send me a PM.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Martytoof posted:

That's a special cable (with the green boots) - the cut on the fiber is slightly abnormal, so it'll probably work, but good chance you'll have weirdness.

You want: https://www.primecables.ca/p-362020-cab-fo-604-all-singlemode-simplex-scsc-9-micron-fiber-cable-3mm-jacket#sku373002

Edit: I was wrong - bell uses apc (green boot) cables.

unknown fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Sep 11, 2021

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Varlock posted:

If you're in Toronto I have a spare cable for this exact purpose you can have for free. It's gotta be like 50 feet or more. Just send me a PM.

Ahh! Thank you but I just got a ship notification from the place Chris Knight recommended. Really appreciate it though!!

unknown posted:

That's a special cable (with the green boots) - the cut on the fiber is slightly abnormal, so it'll probably work, but good chance you'll have weirdness.

You want: https://www.primecables.ca/p-362020-cab-fo-604-all-singlemode-simplex-scsc-9-micron-fiber-cable-3mm-jacket#sku373002

I think this is the same as what Chris recommended which I went with. I’m not too stressed either way for these bargain prices :3:

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Martytoof posted:

The battery backup connection for the HH3000 only allows phone service to work in the event of a power outage, internet and tv related stuff is dropped.

It was purely for regulatory compliance, and doesn't even exist anymore on the HH4000. It was also crap, the battery wouldn't hold a charge anymore after about ~1.5 year, and bell required you to buy a new one, no warranty offered.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Martytoof posted:

Ahh! Thank you but I just got a ship notification from the place Chris Knight recommended. Really appreciate it though!!

I think this is the same as what Chris recommended which I went with. I’m not too stressed either way for these bargain prices :3:

I just checked my fibe install, and low and behold, they use an apc cut patch cable (green boots), so the one you linked was correct. Sorry!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Well you know what they say, always check your optics.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Chris Knight posted:

Well you know what they say, always check your optics.

You'll eat those words Chris

JimboMaloi
Oct 10, 2007

I’m moving back to Toronto after spending most of the past decade in the US and am truly delighted to see that the CRTC remains complete dogshit, but given that I am looking for some advice. My wife and I will both be perma-wfh and so need something rock solid, which seems like it’s probably Bell Fibe given that we’re not living in a fibrestream or beanfield building. I’m also on-call regularly, and have had enough issues with service outages during COVID that I would like to at least have the flexibility to have a back up connection, but it seems like Bell only gives you the option of using their modem/router combo. Is it feasible for me to stick the Bell-provided router in PPPoE passthrough and let my own dual-WAN router handle PPPoE for the fibre connection so I can add on a fallback TekSavvy line later? Am I massively overthinking this?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

If you get FTTH you can just ditch the Bell HomeHub completely and use your own router as long as it supports VLAN tagging on the WAN port. From there if you wanted to do fail over with LTE or a Teksavvy cable connection you could, but in my experience the Bell FTTH is rock solid unless somebody takes out a utility pole

Deathreaper
Mar 27, 2010

If you get FTTH you can just ditch the Bell HomeHub completely and use your own router as long as it supports VLAN tagging on the WAN port. From there if you wanted to do fail over with LTE or a Teksavvy cable connection you could, but in my experience the Bell FTTH is rock solid unless somebody takes out a utility pole

This, except you have to use the HH4000 now as bridge if you get one of those (no SFP ONT). Hopefully someone figure out how to hack a XGPON ONT and makes it possible to completely bypass the HH4000.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

JimboMaloi posted:

need something rock solid, which seems like it’s probably Bell Fibe

Lol.

I had fibe for half a year and it was the worst isp I’ve ever used in 25 years when it came to stability. Using an actual dial up modem as a teen when there was a risk of family picking up the phone and killing my connection was genuinely more stable. I had multiple techs over, swapped home hub 3000s. It was remarkable how bad it was when it came to stability. Fast if it worked, but about as stable as the Italian lira was in the 80s.

Now I have cheap fido cable internet connection on their lowest grade of modem router and it’s basically perfect.

My advice is to get both fancy grade bell fibe and the cheapest cable connection and be prepared to kill the bell connection due to frustration and growing hate for the Home Hub experience.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
And I've had gigabit Fibe with the HH3000 for like four years and never had a problem with the connection or the modem. Your anecdote hold as much water as mine.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Yeah absolutely can't confirm, I've had fibe in two different buildings and it was not only the most stable connection I've had, but the most consistent at achieving the contract speeds :shrug:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

100% of the problems I've had with Bell Fibe have been with the lovely HH3k. Every time I'm all "gently caress what the hell is wrong with the internet??" it's resolved after a HH reboot.

I have a router that can do all the VLAN tagging etc but I'm never in the mood to just disrupt my network for a day to cut the HH out of the picture entirely. Invariably whenever I think "hey maybe I should..", it's always been too nice out to spend the day stuck inside being a network nerd when the problem only crops up every few months and is solved by a quick 2 min reboot.

Maybe a cold hard winter will finally push me over the edge.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I don't remember the last time I even looked at my HH3000, let alone had to reboot it.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

The hh3000 is junk level quality - but if you get a good one it's solid. The failure rates are so high that they're "refurbishing" the units and shipping them back out for install. If you have issues with stability just call them - surprisingly low call times.

If you're doing internet only, you can take the sfp out of the unit and install it on your own router (eg pfsense). Internet is tagged vlan 35/with pppoe iirc.

Bell's latency/jitter is much better than Rogers. (sampling over a few hundred circuits I deal with). Beanfield is best, but have more network outages.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

I'm honestly so mad about my current internet situation - there is bell fibe across the street but I'm in a condo townhouse meaning it has to be run to a tech room first and while there's a plan in place to do a further fiber rollout in my area, COVID has set it back significantly. Thus, I have to use Rogers-via-Teksavvy which, while "gigabit", is still 500mbps on a good day and laggy/jittery as all hell.

Like, I obviously am not gonna get use out of the full 1024mbps but better and cheaper internet is literally less than 20m from my front door :tizzy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
I resent how well my Bell fiber has held up, granted I ditched the Homehub for a UDM Pro but in like 6 months it hasn't disconnected a single time. I also can't believe nobody has ever reached out from Bell given how much I use it!

Speaking of Internet companies I resent, I managed to get my parents a Starlink kit in Nothern Ontario recently. The Bell plan they have their was a whole 2 megabits and I gotta say it works startingly well. My dad mounted it on a deck surrounded by trees and easily gets 80/30 most of the day. Finally they know what Netflix HD looks like!