Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

Dear Watson posted:

https://www.hyundainews.com/en-us/models/hyundai-ioniq_5-2022-ioniq_5/features

It looks like Hyundai has released the trim levels for the Ioniq 5. No prices yet.
I think the only thing that really bothers me is that heat pumps only come with awd versions.
Can’t wait to see how the Kia trims compare for the EV6.

Thanks for this.

In a couple of instances it's hard to tell the difference between SE, SEL, and Limited in the "SAFETY/SECURITY" section of that data sheet. For example:
  • On page 12, the SE has "Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist with Car/Ped/Cyclist Detection and Junction Turning", while the SEL and Limited have "Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist with Car/Ped/Cyclist Detection and Junction Turning/Crossing" (emphasis mine).
  • On page 12, the SE has "Highway Driving Assist I (HDA I)", while the SEL and Limited have "Highway Driving Assist II (HDA II)". There does not appear to be an explanation of the difference between HDA I and HDA II in the data sheet.

Also it looks like some of the neat stuff shown off in the review videos is only available in the Limited, including:
  • Surround View Monitor
  • Blind-Spot View Monitor (BVM). (I think this is the "show a camera shot of the blind spot when a turn signal is on" feature).
  • Parking Collision Avoidance Assist – Reverse. Note: SE, SEL, and Limited all have "Parking Distance Warning - Reverse", so I assume this is something fancier than the usual distance warning.
  • Front center console - Sliding armrest storage with tray. The SE and SEL have a fixed armrest.
  • Hyundai Digital Key (NFC).
  • Vehicle to Load (V2L) Two-way on-board charger (2nd row). (the 110V outlet that you can use to power other stuff and even charge other EVs).

That last one kind of sucks; I was hoping that feature would be generally available instead of limited to the expensive model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I know they've talked about the new version of HDA 2 somewhere, I'll have to try and find it for you.
The parking collision avoidance assist is almost definitely an autobrake system. The other systems will just beep at you.
V2L is still available out of the charge port, just not the 2nd row seat.

It's why I wish they had a limited "lite" without the glass roof and 20" wheels. I wish safety features never were hidden in trim levels or especially interior choices.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Saukkis posted:

It's funny you say this, because EVs are the first cars where the sat nav needs to be intimately linked to the car. The navigation needs to know the exact model of the car and what specs it has, what is the state of the battery charge and the electricity consumption at all times. With ICE these hardly mattered, gas stations are so plentiful and filling so quick it's pretty much irrelevant whether you visit the pump while the tank is at 10% or 50%. With EVs the charging stations are still relatively few and charging slow enough that you need to optimize if you want to speed up the trip. You want to reach a charger while battery is at maybe 5-10%, and you only want to charge up to 75-85%, enough that you can reach your next charging point. Much easier to use a built in nav than develope the standards for the car to communicate the required information for the cell phone.

Imagine you are using a navigation software that doesn't communicate with the car. First you need to tell it the model of you car and that it has a XX kWh battery and it is now at 75%. You input the destination, but it also needs to know this is a holiday trip so the whole family is packed in and the frunk and trunk are full to the brim. Oh, and there are two mountain bikes on the roof rack so that increases the wind resistance and consumption maybe 50%. And your going to the mountains so the trip is uphill on average, but this the nav software could know by itself. The nav could also check the weather report and find out it's really windy, a 20 km/h headwind most of the way. Or it could just talk with the car and keep track of the battery and consumption.

You're using a lot of words to try and make a theoretical API that supplies make, model, model year, battery life, and curb weight (if the car even has sensors for that) sound incredibly complicated.

Like, come on, you can already get all of this info except curb weight in the Android Auto API and the Apple CarPlay API.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Sep 12, 2021

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Charles posted:

I know they've talked about the new version of HDA 2 somewhere, I'll have to try and find it for you.
The parking collision avoidance assist is almost definitely an autobrake system. The other systems will just beep at you.

It's why I wish they had a limited "lite" without the glass roof and 20" wheels. I wish safety features never were hidden in trim levels or especially interior choices.

Yeah, I really don't care for the glass roof so I'm probably stuck at looking at the middle trim when they come out. I wish more of these were options instead of being locked into trims. The sliding center console actually seems pretty cool, but not cool enough for me to pay a bunch of money for all the other things I don't want.

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

Charles posted:

Thanks, additional information about HDA 2 would be helpful.

For reference: I have a Model 3 now and I'm eyeballing EVs for my wife, who has a 2018 Ioniq Hybrid. The Ioniq 5 is the most promising candidate at the moment.

I'm assuming the baseline parking collision avoidance is similar to what's in a 2018 Ioniq Hybrid, and that is probably fine with her.

I just checked and she's okay with V2L from the charge port port. The things that matter the most to her are:
  • price (which we don't know yet)
  • crash test rating (which we don't know yet)
  • safety features (which seem reasonable from the data sheet), and
  • heated seats (which are included with all trims according to the data sheet)

I am also supposed to add that it can't be "ugly" and that she "hated the way the Prius looked" (when she looked at it in 2018).

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Here's what I found from this Forbes article:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/edgarsten/2021/09/09/hyundai-safety-chief-talks-battery-fires-reducing-traffic-deaths-smarter-vehicles posted:

Hyundai's Highway Driver Assist (HDA) system is a combination safety and convenience feature. It helps to maintain a prescribed distance from the vehicle ahead when driving on a highway and helps center the vehicle in the lane while driving, including curves. It also can help maintain vehicle speeds according to posted speed limits on federal interstate highways.

HDA is standard on model year 2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5, and Genesis G70, GV80, G80 and G90.

HDA2 goes several steps further including keeping the vehicle centered in the lane even around corners by controlling the steering wheel. It also actively responds to close-range low-speed cut-ins by other drivers and will automatically assist lane changes in certain conditions when the driver activates the turn signal.

I think the big thing most people will notice is the ability to change lanes automatically. I'm not sure how the first part about staying centered in curves is different than the 2nd version.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

MrPablo posted:

Thanks, additional information about HDA 2 would be helpful.

For reference: I have a Model 3 now and I'm eyeballing EVs for my wife, who has a 2018 Ioniq Hybrid. The Ioniq 5 is the most promising candidate at the moment.

I'm assuming the baseline parking collision avoidance is similar to what's in a 2018 Ioniq Hybrid, and that is probably fine with her.

I just checked and she's okay with V2L from the charge port port. The things that matter the most to her are:
  • price (which we don't know yet)
  • crash test rating (which we don't know yet)
  • safety features (which seem reasonable from the data sheet), and
  • heated seats (which are included with all trims according to the data sheet)

I am also supposed to add that it can't be "ugly" and that she "hated the way the Prius looked" (when she looked at it in 2018).

Elantra N

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Charles posted:

It also actively responds to close-range low-speed cut-ins by other drivers

*middle finger pops out of hood*

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

gwrtheyrn posted:

I wouldn't willingly buy anything IoT, but that's not just for EVSEs. They're unsurprisingly not terribly secure

I violated this rule and bought a JuiceBox with wireless connectivity. (It was cheap and the electric co had a rebate for it). Thought it might provide a more detailed charging history than what the Bolt has on its own.

When first connected it couldn't see the router despite being closer than almost every other device in the house. (Geometry and a bit of dirt in the way.). Fixed that by setting up an old router as an access point. The JuiceBox connected, phoned home, did its updates, quietly did its thing for several days, then started crapflooding my network causing my antique router to fall over. Disconnected the JuiceBox's access point and everything has been working fine since.

I might be able to reconnect it by setting up a guest network for it to play in but I'm going to take this as a reminder from God that the "S" in IoT stands for security.

Indiana_Krom posted:

I actually looked up what GM is saying to do while people wait for their vehicle to get its battery replaced and like the most restrictive thing is that people should park theirs outside and don't charge it indoors overnight, otherwise their recommendations are just ordinary stuff everyone with an EV should already be doing. Like "set your charge limit to 90%" "charge frequently" "don't deep discharge the battery". They are not saying people should avoid driving it at all, seems like you can use it pretty much normally. I think someone wanting to return the car because GM is eventually going to give them a free new battery is being unreasonable.

Yeah, the new guidelines are pretty much what we were doing except we were running the battery between 40% and 80% so it hasn't impacted us at all. I'm not going to defend GM because I despise the company but this is a bit of meh for us.

If the Bolt burns down the storage shed where the welding/EVSE outlet is I'm still going to pissed. GM could be facing a claim for dozens of dollars.

Duck and Cover posted:

If a park my car outside and I get rodents or damage from trees etc. do you think GM will do anything? Did you know apparently the wiring has a coating that mice like (this might not be exactly right I don't remember the details I'm too lazy to look it up)? My last car had a mouse or maybe rat problem (probably because I left it outside the winter and rarely drove it) and ideally I'd like that to not happen with this one.

Yes, apparently a lot of modern wiring uses a soya based insulation that rodents like. Out in the woods here indoor garages aren't secure either. My neighbours have problems with rodents chewing their way in through the weatherstripping on the bottom of the bay door and camping in their ICE vehicles. We all use some variation of dryer sheets / stinky juice in the engine compartment. My weekly routine includes a few drops of oil of peppermint sprinkled on the modules in the Bolt and around the engine compartment of the F250.

I think it helps that most of the infestations are voles (short-tailed field mice) that don't seem to be as voracious as the house mouse species more common back east and they mostly leave the wiring alone. The voles just want to hang out eating maple seeds in a warm box, man. Every once in a while though someone in town has their wiring harness eaten. Not pretty.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Charles posted:

I think the big thing most people will notice is the ability to change lanes automatically. I'm not sure how the first part about staying centered in curves is different than the 2nd version.

Assuming HDA1 is the same in hybrids, it doesn’t deal with sharper curves all that well. Gentle highway ones sure but a suburb curvy street, even with good markings, not so much. Keeps it for a bit but it doesn’t seem to want to apply too much torque to hold the line.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

PirateDentist posted:

Assuming HDA1 is the same in hybrids, it doesn’t deal with sharper curves all that well. Gentle highway ones sure but a suburb curvy street, even with good markings, not so much. Keeps it for a bit but it doesn’t seem to want to apply too much torque to hold the line.

Yep. My plug in ioniq hybrid has what effectively amounts to a max amount of force it'll apply to turns, meaning that even in some highways you will need to help it out with turns depending on your speed, whether the highway has a bank, and the angle of the turn. Going slower or providing some force yourself will let it get through the corners.

It's only really popped up for me in highway driving across the Appalachian mountains with lots of twisted highways at 60+ mph. Local streets are a hit or miss with it and I don't trust it for turns. I always do the turn myself.

It's also not always super amazing at keeping the center of the lane on turns and ones it could take it sometimes gets uncomfortably close to the line.

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

Charles posted:

Thank you, that is helpful. My guess is that she probably does care about the HDA I features from the article that you quoted, and not so much about the features from HDA II.

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

?

It's not an EV and the fuel efficiency is worse than the Ioniq Hybrid she already has. Or is this supposed to be a joke because it could be considered ugly?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Ok Comboomer posted:

Any car that can have a SIM card and GPS in it will, regardless of what the customer wants, because it allows manufacturers to do things like sell “anonymized” customer travel logs to data brokerage firms for lots of money

I hope they make a mint telling people I go to work and stop to buy food sometimes.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Ok Comboomer posted:

Any car that can have a SIM card and GPS in it will, regardless of what the customer wants, because it allows manufacturers to do things like sell “anonymized” customer travel logs to data brokerage firms for lots of money

this is generally not where the value for the OEM comes from

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Put a couple F-150 lightnings in a home, and 400A doesn’t sound too crazy.

My driveway is crowded with a Niro and a ICE Soul, I can't put two F150s there. One would be on the yard. :banjo:

Hey Ford, where's the EV Explorer?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

CannonFodder posted:

My driveway is crowded with a Niro and a ICE Soul, I can't put two F150s there. One would be on the yard. :banjo:

After pricing out Powerwalls, I realized I could get more storage for less money by buying an F150 and leaving it in the back yard. As a bonus, I'd have a truck for the, like, 3 times a decade I need a truck.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Isn't it mandated in the EU anyway?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

cruft posted:

After pricing out Powerwalls, I realized I could get more storage for less money by buying an F150 and leaving it in the back yard. As a bonus, I'd have a truck for the, like, 3 times a decade I need a truck.

At 115kwh Vs the powerwalls 13.5kwh you and 7 neighbors could club together and share one.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Where'd you get this 115kWh number? Seems kind of small for the long range battery imo, I'd say 150kWh-ish considering an 80A charger takes 8 hours to fully charge according to Ford.

Edit: That number could be for the small battery but it makes little sense to buy that since the big battery includes the breaker & 80A charger without any extra cost.

Nfcknblvbl fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Sep 14, 2021

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Where'd you get this 115kWh number? Seems kind of small for the long range battery imo, I'd say 150kWh-ish considering an 80A charger takes 8 hours to fully charge according to Ford.

Edit: That number could be for the small battery but it makes little sense to buy that since the big battery includes the breaker & 80A charger without any extra cost.

Ford says the extended range battery can last for 10 days if you use 30kwh per day in backup power mode. So I assume it's about 300kwh.

https://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/f150-lightning/2022/

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Zero One posted:

Ford says the extended range battery can last for 10 days if you use 30kwh per day in backup power mode. So I assume it's about 300kwh.

There's no way in hell they're making a 300kWh truck, that would put their consumption at 1000Wh/mi which is insane.

Edit. Their small print says 3 days with 30kWh average consumption, and 10 days if rationed. 90kWh sounds reasonable since you don't want to fully drain the battery, and it automatically cuts out at ~30% SoC.

Nfcknblvbl fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Sep 14, 2021

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

CannonFodder posted:

We have this weird mule from a few months ago which is hard to pin down:

bird with big dick posted:

Mustang Mach-e Raptor spotted, note longer/wider wheelbase and increased ground clearance.

I think it's Expedition-related, others think it's Explorer or Maverick related, all we know is it's obviously longer and wider than a normal Mach E and there's something worth hiding underneath.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Zero One posted:

Pretty sure that footnote means 3 full days at 30 per day

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

wolrah posted:

We have this weird mule from a few months ago which is hard to pin down:

I think it's Expedition-related, others think it's Explorer or Maverick related, all we know is it's obviously longer and wider than a normal Mach E and there's something worth hiding underneath.
Oh, so the EV Explorer is under dazzle camo. That's cool.

I'm honestly happy that Ford is making an EV Explorer / Expedition / Ranchero with a top. I just wish it was a little more boxy but I also understand aerodynamics are king with EVs.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I googled it :shrug:

Yeah the big battery makes more sense, then you and your neighbors can run your sound systems and kegerators as well.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Long term Tesla Model 3 owners - what is your vehicle year and model, mileage, and available capacity?

2018 Long Range- 51,500 miles - 277 miles

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

2019 Model 3 Performance.

https://snapshot.raintank.io/dashboard/snapshot/F68txn20Cb2H65RcCCMe1zNmUlxitQpU

Here's a snapshot of my projected range. Note that it dips all the way down to 263 miles, and goes back up to 283. This is because it's not very good at knowing your real range until you balance the pack.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

no but it is a revenue stream, and one that many customers—when made aware—aren’t too keen on

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

the spyder posted:

Long term Tesla Model 3 owners - what is your vehicle year and model, mileage, and available capacity?

2019 Dual Motor - 38,880 miles - 320 miles (est., I'll update when I have a better estimate)

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I'm playing Cruis'n Blast on the Switch, using the Hummer EV, and this monstrosity makes so much sense for this game BUT NOT THE REAL ROADS.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
nope

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 6, 2022

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

DoomTrainPhD posted:

The first customer R1T rolled off the line today! Rivian is officially not vaporwear!

Yeah, congratulations on this, that's pretty awesome, beating Ford to the punch.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

the spyder posted:

2018 LR RWD, may build, 36K miles

Range definitely varies with charge patterns and the weather, but it'll still hit just over 300. When it was new I never saw more than 305, and the "range update" never affected mine.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

DoomTrainPhD posted:

The first customer R1T rolled off the line today! Rivian is officially not vaporwear!

:woop: congrats

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Nice! Good luck with the ramp.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

DoomTrainPhD posted:

when are you buying the forums?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

when are you buying the forums?

Never. I’m going to buy a sailboat and sail. It’s been a dream of mine for 20 years now.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Photos of the truck rolling off the line
https://twitter.com/RJScaringe/status/1437842808384233477

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Never. I’m going to buy a sailboat and sail. It’s been a dream of mine for 20 years now.

Officially petitioning you to name your boat "The Forums"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

the spyder posted:

2018 First Production LR - 53,4xxmi - 280mi. I don’t recall it ever showing more than 300mi.

VIN 133xx