Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

twistedmentat posted:

It's like cap saying he's going to give someone some straight dick.

he says that to bucky all the time tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Veotax posted:

Not quite on topic for this thread, but since it came up: is there a date for Andor yet? They were shooting that a while ago, weren't they? I assume it's next year sometime.

Not as far as I can tell. None of the upcoming Star Wars shows, except Visions which is in like nine days, has a confirmed release date. Even Book of Boba Fett is still listed as just "December".

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Gavok posted:

While he was inspired by the Ultimate version, I don't feel that MCU Hawkeye is purely serious. Through the movies, up until Endgame, his arc appears to be that he's a serious professional who is gradually accepting how utterly bonkers his world is becoming.

Thor: "This guy's tearing poo poo up... Huh. Good for him."

Avengers: "Nat, are we in over our heads?"

Age of Ultron: "poo poo is crazy, but whatever."

Civil War: "Retirement is boring. I miss my weirdo friends!"

Endgame: "...life is pain..."

Yeah, I've never read the comic and I don't know what "Hawkguy" means but I don't interpret MCU Clint as self serious. Yeah, he's a SHIELD super spy but he's also kind of a doofy dad. That's with his relationship with Nat, his interactions with Quicksilver and Wanda, is overall "what am I doing here?" vibe. Its not hugely developed because obviously he's never been hugely developed but its plainly established at least from Age of Ultron.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Matt Fraction’s son used to mispronounce Hawkeye as Hawkguy, so Matt turned that conversation into an exchange between Hawkeye and one of his neighbors.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
In his very first appearance MCU Hawkguy makes a joke about rooting for Thor when he was antagonizing SHIELD. One of his only non-mindcontrolled lines in Avengers was "You and I remember Budapest very differently" and then there is all of AoU. He was a quippy in over his head guy all the way up until his family dusted and he got angsty (which is something his comics counterpart has always been to some degree).
You don't have to like MCU Hawkguy or even think he's interesting enough to carry his own show but he has more Fraction potential than Back-from-the-dead-New-Avengers-Ronin Hawkeye ever did.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Variety is reporting that HBO Max is in early development of another TV spin off to The Batman, this one focused on the Penguin, although they haven't got a deal with Colin Farrell yet.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

X-O posted:

I think Hawkguy was kind of out nowhere myself. Clint was never really portrayed like that until that series.

It was shortly after Wanda brought him back to life wasn't it? I don't remember him doing much between coming back the Fraction series starting.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It was shortly after Wanda brought him back to life wasn't it? I don't remember him doing much between coming back the Fraction series starting.

He was basically the leader of the New Avengers during Dark Reign. The Hawkguy stuff was out of nowhere because Clint was never really that much of a fuckup, he's lead the Avengers a few times, rehabbed the Thunderbolts etc. He was usually held up as a main Avenger, not a clown.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Fraction's run does this interesting thing of picking up a lot of deep hits from Hawkeye's past [Making him deaf again was a pretty deep cut. Did you know Hawkeye was deaf for a long rear end time? Sign language in a comic book was neat for a lot of folks.] and also just making up this entirely new character out of nowhere.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

muscles like this! posted:

Variety is reporting that HBO Max is in early development of another TV spin off to The Batman, this one focused on the Penguin, although they haven't got a deal with Colin Farrell yet.

Is it weird that I am deeply sick of every attempt to turn Penguin into like an edgy, skinny criminal weirdo instead of a smug bird-obsessed criminal weirdo with gimmick umbrellas, with proportions that suggest a water fowl?

I'm only just realizing how often the formula for making Batman villains "modern" and "relevant" is to turn them into villains from bad genre TV. I'd make a joke about a Batman version of Smallville, but I think there's been like three of those already with the only real distinction being none of them centered around teen Bruce

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I sort of agree, but man the Gotham Penguin was fantastic.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

He was basically the leader of the New Avengers during Dark Reign. The Hawkguy stuff was out of nowhere because Clint was never really that much of a fuckup, he's lead the Avengers a few times, rehabbed the Thunderbolts etc. He was usually held up as a main Avenger, not a clown.

Also the weird meta 'Pfft, Hawkeye's a guy who shoots arrows at gods ha ha' was irritating because... Clint knows that. It's how he helps, shooting arrows at things. He is also completely aware that without arrows he's just a guy in funny suit and will tell you so.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Ok, I don't remember the Fraction run implying he was a professional gently caress up. Like it pretty much focused on his personal life (where he's a gently caress up) and made a couple passing references to the absurdity of being an arrow guy next to an iron dude but I didn't get bumbling idiot part everyone seems to remember. The brief Avengers vignettes seemed to imply it was hard for him to keep up with the rest of the team but I don't remember thinking they changed his level of capability much.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Dawgstar posted:

Also the weird meta 'Pfft, Hawkeye's a guy who shoots arrows at gods ha ha' was irritating because... Clint knows that. It's how he helps, shooting arrows at things. He is also completely aware that without arrows he's just a guy in funny suit and will tell you so.

One of my favorite things about Hawkeye from around that time was that while most heroes would look at Deadpool and go, "Ugh, I'm dealing with Wade today. God, I hate that guy," Clint would be completely cool with working alongside him. They had a mutual respect for each other and it was pretty delightful.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Hawkeye versus Deadpool is such a great book.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Ok, I don't remember the Fraction run implying he was a professional gently caress up. Like it pretty much focused on his personal life (where he's a gently caress up) and made a couple passing references to the absurdity of being an arrow guy next to an iron dude but I didn't get bumbling idiot part everyone seems to remember. The brief Avengers vignettes seemed to imply it was hard for him to keep up with the rest of the team but I don't remember thinking they changed his level of capability much.

Yeah, the Fraction run still has Clint being very good at the hero stuff. It's that he keeps loving up his personal life and alienates everyone around him through bad decisions.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Hawkeye's characterization for the first like solid decade was him being a dick to Captain America and then a later panel where he's out at a club with two girls thinking "why was I such a HOTHEAD to CAP? even though he's an OLD MAN, I really RESPECT him. also I'm IN LOVE with my COWORKER" so nothing Fraction wrote seemed too far afield really

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Holy gently caress

https://deadline.com/2021/09/netflix-orders-grendel-series-dark-horse-comic-abubakr-ali-cast-1234832350/

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

I never thought this would get adapted, even though it's a perfect property and character to adapt. Brilliant!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Grendel as a property almost sells itself. I always thought the reason it never got adapted was Wagner was resistant. And he probably was. I kinda wish it wasn't Netflix as I can't remember the last Netflix show I really enjoyed, but I have hopes because Wagner has kept a tight grip on the rights and it seems that he'd really have to be sold on it to go with it.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

It will suck but fools will watch it for 3 seasons anyway

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Oh poo poo. I only got the first omnibus, but I found it really interesting. I need to pick up the rest at some point.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Penguin is being played by Colin Farrell? That's... different.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Karma Tornado posted:

Hawkeye's characterization for the first like solid decade was him being a dick to Captain America and then a later panel where he's out at a club with two girls thinking "why was I such a HOTHEAD to CAP? even though he's an OLD MAN, I really RESPECT him. also I'm IN LOVE with my COWORKER" so nothing Fraction wrote seemed too far afield really
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdsQ_VhbXbs

The best Hawkeye was of course in the 90s Iron Man cartoon where he was an idiot who tried to stop an out of control Iron Man with a magnet arrow and got owned because of course and also had his spine broken

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Skwirl posted:

Hawkeye versus Deadpool is such a great book.

I was thinking that after Deadpool is introduced into the MCU they can do that. They could even add in that AplusX story where Wade and Clint go after the pirates and get the horn of summoning and Wade uses hulk hand arrows that explode.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
lol you just know Michael went out of his way to get them to include the Gundam

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
What if... Killmonger picked his fights a little more carefully?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

OnimaruXLR posted:

What if... Killmonger picked his fights a little more carefully?

A nice detail is that it's established he got the intel on the convoy attack, and rather than just pass it up the chain to warn the convoy he decided to show up and handle things personally, showing he's already working an angle.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
They definitely need to follow this last episode up, cause it just ends so abruptly.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Was a very meh episode

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
This was the first one I was pretty "meh" on. It had it's moments, but easily the weakest of the series for me.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

JT Smiley posted:

They definitely need to follow this last episode up, cause it just ends so abruptly.

Yeah, I liked it up until the end where it just doesn't have a conclusion.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It may not have been a groundbreaking episode but I'm still happy to see more Klaw

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

I think the most amazing thing about this show so far is that every time they have Tony Stark in an episode, they kill him off. Really good What If...? energy with that and I hope it continues through at least the season.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

site posted:

lol you just know Michael went out of his way to get them to include the Gundam

That's like the least surprising thing I've ever read. It would be like if i was me and said "please give me a gun that looks like a Space Marine from Warhammer 40k's Bolter"

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

Yeah, I liked it up until the end where it just doesn't have a conclusion.

It should have been What if Kilmonger used Stark Tech to conquer America instead of What if Kilmonger became Black Panther but semi legitimately.

Like his plan in Black Panther is to use Wakandan technology to "free his people" (conquer the world?) so this episode isn't really any different where as if he used Tony as a shortcut and stuck around long enough for Mysterio drones we could have seen him take over America first but I guess Disney doesn't want to depict any kind of racial uprising

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

As happy as I was to hear Boseman, the "You can't keep power you didn't earn" speech rings a little hollow since N'Jadaka has like a doctorate, a bunch of military medals, designed a gundam, uncovered the intel on Stane, and then carefully used that to ingratiate himself into Wakandan leadership. T'Challa may not like his methods, but it's weird to hear anyone claim he isn't putting in the work.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

theironjef posted:

As happy as I was to hear Boseman, the "You can't keep power you didn't earn" speech rings a little hollow since N'Jadaka has like a doctorate, a bunch of military medals, designed a gundam, uncovered the intel on Stane, and then carefully used that to ingratiate himself into Wakandan leadership. T'Challa may not like his methods, but it's weird to hear anyone claim he isn't putting in the work.

Also what did T'Challa do to earn his power?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Also what did T'Challa do to earn his power?

T'Challa was born a crown prince in a hereditary monarchy. Only a select few get to do that. I'd like to see you try!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sgt. Politeness posted:

It should have been What if Kilmonger used Stark Tech to conquer America instead of What if Kilmonger became Black Panther but semi legitimately.

Like his plan in Black Panther is to use Wakandan technology to "free his people" (conquer the world?) so this episode isn't really any different where as if he used Tony as a shortcut and stuck around long enough for Mysterio drones we could have seen him take over America first but I guess Disney doesn't want to depict any kind of racial uprising

In Black Panther, that's mostly a lie to garner support. As soon as he actually gets power his goal is conquest and death. That's what that whole throne scene is about but everyone forgets anything but the cool camera rotation.