Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

And a decent one at that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
We'll see how long it takes before they start rowing back on it.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Bringing back Owen Smith's one hour contracts.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Pistol_Pete posted:

We'll see how long it takes before they start rowing back on it.

They'd have to get elected with a clear majority to actually do it. It can just be traded away in coalition or (more likely) live on the to-do list forever

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
coulbd you spare just two pounds a mubnth fow wut ugg reliuf

your two pounds could pruvude two uhsda whupps suction sucks of wut uggs - unuf tuh kuhp one parluhmuntry frunt bunch Luhbuh MP fed for an uvening :kiddo:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

Dishi Rishi has made a powerful enemy in the Irish people today

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1437677424121106439?s=19

Only the DUP and their followers believed in that bridge/tunnel/Stargate to Scotland.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Just Another Lurker posted:

Only the DUP and their followers believed in that bridge/tunnel/Stargate to Scotland.

I mean since its basically impossible from an engineering perspective, I think even the DUPers only believed in it to the extent that they were incredibly naive, or else thought they could personally profit/show their ingroup affiliations/stick it to Them 'Uns.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
CHEVRAWN FOAR INCOADED SO IT IS :catstare:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The DUP has been clear and will always be clear, £1.1bn sounds like a lot of money, but it is nowhere near as much as £20bn.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

I mean since its basically impossible from an engineering perspective, I think even the DUPers only believed in it to the extent that they were incredibly naive, or else thought they could personally profit/show their ingroup affiliations/stick it to Them 'Uns.

For the higher ups i'm going with profit and grinding Them 'Uns when they can do so.

Might be possible engineering wise but it would be of the upmost folly to do it, it would make the Burj Khalifa and Ryugyong Hotel look positively sane.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Just build thousands of ferries and connect them together into a bridge.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Comrade Fakename posted:

I had a bit of this feeling when I watched Detective Pikachu on a bored evening and found that the fantastical and slightly cyberpunk Ryme City was incredibly obviously, and a bit hilariously, Just London.

Extra funny since the next Pokemon region was obviously Britain, though London is apparently in Scotland now

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Just use one of these but with a 238 KM long chain.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

crispix posted:

CHEVRAWN FOAR INCOADED SO IT IS :catstare:

I would like to see more of Captain Samantha Campbell

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

For the higher ups i'm going with profit and grinding Them 'Uns when they can do so.

Might be possible engineering wise but it would be of the upmost folly to do it, it would make the Burj Khalifa and Ryugyong Hotel look positively sane.

Yeah it's eminently doable from an engineering perspective, even the bit where it was going to be a road tunnel instead of a rail tunnel, it would just be like 4 times more expensive than the Channel Tunnel (well 8 times because the Irish sure as poo poo wouldn't stump up half of it like the French did for the Channel Tunnel), for something that would have a tenth the traffic at best.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

sinky posted:

One weird trick for avoiding legal action, lawyers hate this

Live in a literal castle so noone can serve you papers
https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1437473320845430787?s=20

So reading that link (and this article that goes into some additional hilarious details about how the Doorman basically said “you’re not getting in and we’re not bringing those papers up to his Lordship”) they seem to be trading on a “you can’t sue Prince Andrew, because you signed an agreement to take money from him in exchange for never talking about all the sex crimes he did.”

Like I understand that it is potentially a legal defence to the Civil Action, but done in such a way that makes him look 100% guilty in the eyes of the court of popular opinion.

Prince Andrew’s lawyer says documents will absolve him of liability in sex assault case https://jrnl.ie/5548535

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Get the trebuchet

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
HOLY gently caress! :aaa: Is that actually a, a... commitment? :stare:

I'll believe it when I see it, obviously. Which will not be before 2027 at the earliest because even with every supermarket shelf empty, I honestly (despairingly) believe that Boris Johnson could tour the country and personally take a poo poo on the doorstep of each Tory voter before punching their dog/cat/horse, and still not lose the next election to Starmer.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Starmer will 100% ditch it if he ever got close to power.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
there's gonna be like 5 asterisks to each part of that policy

BAN ZERO HOURS CONTRACTS*****

*but only for over 25s
*but only for UK citizens
*but not if you've been unemployed for more than 12 months
*but your employer can unilaterally put you onto zero hours any time during your probation
*but supermarkets are exempt

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I feel like the true Labour thing would be to follow through on banning them but do absolutely nothing to prevent the introduction of like, one-minute-per-week contracts.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Means-tested opt-outs of zero-hours contracts

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

peanut- posted:

I feel like the true Labour thing would be to follow through on banning them but do absolutely nothing to prevent the introduction of like, one-minute-per-week contracts.

They'd word the law in such a way that it banned flextime/job sharing/childcare leave but also leave the call-on completely legal - my money's on the temp worker exception loads of companies area already using to get round sick pay etc.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I believe in the bridge from Kintyre being the only way there will be investment on west coast roads like the Rest and Be Thankful so they aren't closed for tens of days a year

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Just build thousands of ferries and connect them together into a bridge.

put rubber rings around retired train carriages

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
it's what they would have wanted

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Build the bridge and then immediately unify Ireland and make Scotland independent.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

forkboy84 posted:

I believe in the bridge from Kintyre being the only way there will be investment on west coast roads like the Rest and Be Thankful so they aren't closed for tens of days a year

Rest and Be Thankful must be the single most invested-in road in Britain.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

The Question IRL posted:

Like I understand that it is potentially a legal defence to the Civil Action, but done in such a way that makes him look 100% guilty in the eyes of the court of popular opinion.
Not sure myself. Legalistically, ime no civil litigant in the history of earth has every accepted that they ever did anything even a little bit wrong, settlements are always just entered into for pragmatic reasons with no admission of guilt. More practically, all anyone's really gonna pay attention to is the fact that he won, which means he can't have done anything because just world no I won't read the judgment fa lala lala.

There's also the fact that literally everyone already knows he's a nonce so it's not like this changes anyone's mind anyway. "Comments disabled for legal reasons" lol.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's a shame he's not the eldest, King Nonce would be the best chance of a republic in centuries.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I still don't trust starmer not to just end up getting me fired rather than actually improving my job security.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
If Boris wants to win union points by spunking billions on tunnels/bridges he should start by investing in some infrastructure to improve transport links to and within the Western Isles/Orkney.

Also broadband.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
We have been in negotiations to do that, but it turns out that the Western Isles and Jersey and Orkney and the other one aren't even in the UK, wif waf!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Skull Servant posted:

Build the bridge and then immediately unify Ireland and make Scotland independent.

Real Dál Riada hours, who's up?

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Always confused me a bit when people make jokes about 1-hour contracts when the idea of banning zero-hour ones is floated. Like, yes, a one-hour contract is significantly better than a zero hour one because at least you can count on a specific number of hours worth of wages on a week to week basis, and knowing you have a one-hour contract frees you up to find other work whereas a zero-hour contract is entirely based around "You better be available when we need you, and also we might not need you at all" leaving you in some kind of wage limbo never knowing if you'll get enough money to pay rent and eat, but simultaneously not being able to pick up other part time work to fill the gap.

Just seems a bit disingenuous really.

That said, I don't expect Kier to put out anything resembling a progressive policy so as others have said this will be full of asterisks and means-testing or something, assuming he even gets anywhere near power before his career is over anyway.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Surprise T Rex posted:

Always confused me a bit when people make jokes about 1-hour contracts when the idea of banning zero-hour ones is floated. Like, yes, a one-hour contract is significantly better than a zero hour one because at least you can count on a specific number of hours worth of wages on a week to week basis, and knowing you have a one-hour contract frees you up to find other work whereas a zero-hour contract is entirely based around "You better be available when we need you, and also we might not need you at all" leaving you in some kind of wage limbo never knowing if you'll get enough money to pay rent and eat, but simultaneously not being able to pick up other part time work to fill the gap.

That said, I don't expect Kier to put out anything resembling a progressive policy so as others have said this will be full of asterisks and means-testing or something, assuming he even gets anywhere near power before his career is over anyway.

The gag is that 1 hour contracts will just be exactly like zero hour contracts but instead of a minimum of 0 hours it'll be a minimum of 1 hour a week, which isn't actually any difference.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Surprise T Rex posted:

We're all assuming it'll just be a one hour minimum guarantee contract, but also you have to be on call and if you don't show up we can fire you type thing, just like the current zero hour ones are.

efb

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Surprise T Rex posted:

a one-hour contract is significantly better than a zero hour one because at least you can count on a specific number of hours worth of wages on a week to week basis

yes that whole one guaranteed hour of work is really going to pay for a whole load of stuff

efb twice

there will be literally no difference except the number 0 will be crossed out and replaced with a 1

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Like, gig economy work is genuinely better than retail at this point not because the gig economy is good but because retail is that bad in every possible aspect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Like, gig economy work is genuinely better than retail at this point not because the gig economy is good but because retail is that bad in every possible aspect

Unions should demand weekly wage payments for everyone in retail at this point.