Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
it is curious we talked so much about this thread and not the set that literally released this week

and I think I know why, because it's not exciting

the two sets before that were an exception and we are back to "normal" Kaldheim/Strixhaven levels aka modern functional iterative

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

it is curious we talked so much about this thread and not the set that literally released this week

the two sets before that were an exception and we are back to "normal" Kaldheim/Strixhaven levels aka modern functional iterative
There is only so much discussion you can have about the potential of new cards before they’re released and in your (physical or digital) hands, because the set is literally NOT out yet.

You’re projecting your own personal feelings onto a set a lot of people are excited for, because for some reason you think the D&D set was some game-changing crazy set.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Goa Tse-tung posted:

zendikar rising was like that too yeah? There just isn't enough material to mine three (four I guess for inn) sets of cards out of. It's also only been 5 years since SOI.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
When do crimson vow spoilers start need my next spoiler hit

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Kashuno posted:

When do crimson vow spoilers start need my next spoiler hit

Probably about 6 weeks, maybe a couple early spoils a week or two before that

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Gramps posted:

I'm pretty new to the thread since I just started playing again but I would LOVE to actually talk about magic.

What's your favorite deck you ever played? This probably won't paint me in the best light but I played magnivore in Kami/Rav standard. That poo poo was not nice at all.
Chris Cade's Standard (2.0) Prison and its variants after Hymn to Tourach got hit was my introduction to competitive magic and it likewise was not a nice deck at all. I liked the Verduran Enchantress too, so while Legacy was affordable for me in the mid-aughts I played Abzhan Control Enchantress. Most of the Enchantress decks I play these days I try to bend in that direction. I would love the Words cycle to return.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Lone Goat posted:

Probably about 6 weeks, maybe a couple early spoils a week or two before that

We actually may get a "mistake" card in the prerelease for the next set like we did for midnight hunt.

Was that in a random pack or prerelease that we got that legendary in, I can't recall. It was will before spoiler season restarted though.

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

In Modern, I've been using an Eldrazi tron deck recently but I am wondering what other Eldrazi combinations I could try.

There is the mono-green version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avGAv7ogmR4

But are there are other variants that I should know about?
Eldrazi Obligator seems underrated?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

teppichporsche posted:

In Modern, I've been using an Eldrazi tron deck recently but I am wondering what other Eldrazi combinations I could try.

There was a mono red eldrazi deck that won an MTGO event recently.

https://twitter.com/matsugan/status/1437501250363289602

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I honeslty hadn't looked much at the set so going through it now a lot of the stuff is new to me. Here's my first reactions of stuff I'm interested in.

Adeline (good in winota?)
Fateful Absence

Consider (just a strictly better opt, right?)
Delver
Malevolent Hermit
Patrician Giest (Another spirit lord with some weird synergies that might make the deck more interesting)

Bloodline culling
Infernal Grasp
Jadar (interesting brawl guy, not a huge kill target but synergies all over)
Meathook Massacre (brawl finisher)

Burn Down the House
Curse of Shaken Faith (historic mono red sideboard stuff?)
Light up the Night
Moonveil Regent
Play with Fire (strictly better shock)
Reckless Stormseeker (more control punishers, please)
Smoldering Egg (dragon in the ice)

Auger of Autumn (would be busted with “play an extra land” obviously but still might be good)
Consuming Blob
Saryth (potentially nasty with Fynn)

Can’t Stay Away
Hallowed Respite
Old Stickfingers (this is weird enough it might do something cool)
Rem Karolus (the flavor of raw power I appreciate)
Sigarda
Siphon Insight

Pithing Needle

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Hearing Patrick on the Resleevables talk about placing “point” in terms of power across a set makes me think it’s like a finite resource for a given release, or has defined parameters going into design. It’d be fun to breakdown sets about where we think they put it.

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019

teppichporsche posted:

Mono Red Eldrazi seems fine(mcmagic shared that one), aspiringspike streamed some Mono Green Eldrazi a few weeks ago that he did pretty alright with as well iirc. Probably start with those.

Re: the thread stuff, I'm pretty much solely a lurker, with only a handful of posts, but I'm fine with the current system of threads tbh.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

meanolmrcloud posted:

Hearing Patrick on the Resleevables talk about placing “point” in terms of power across a set makes me think it’s like a finite resource for a given release, or has defined parameters going into design. It’d be fun to breakdown sets about where we think they put it.

Worldwake would be amazing to see like this.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

To chime in my two cents, I'm not a frequent poster in this thread but I do keep up with reading it, and I appreciate having the drama and sex pest notifications and stuff like that being discussed. Mostly because going to a TG Industry thread doesn't appeal to me since I don't play or care about most other games, and the only other real place to get that kind of news is either the hellhole that is Reddit or trying to make sense of vagueposting on Twitter. And, despite how aggro some people can get around here, SA does have a usually more nuanced level of discussion than most other places I've seen it happen.

If it was split off into a dedicated MTG drama thread I'd probably follow that, but my suspicion is that it would aggregate all back into this thread's iteration within a year anyway.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I mostly use the thread as MTG Current Events, whether it be spoiler season or people or interest doing things or the potpourri of deck meta discussion.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
There is a guy on the high end facebook group selling a full set of Beta.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

meanolmrcloud posted:

Is this in the most recent episode?

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

The Klowner posted:

Is this in the most recent episode?

he uses that term in general whenever he's talking about set design. my understanding is that it's not like a literal formal process of like divvying up a spreadsheet or something, but in the sense of which cards they specifically push to be powerful or commonly played in a given set. so for example, in the recent lorwyn one he laments that the "power points are in the wrong places" because lorwyn is supposed to be a creature-centric tribal set, but the best cards in it were stuff like cryptic command, thoughtseize, ponder, etc.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

jpmeyer posted:

he uses that term in general whenever he's talking about set design. my understanding is that it's not like a literal formal process of like divvying up a spreadsheet or something, but in the sense of which cards they specifically push to be powerful or commonly played in a given set. so for example, in the recent lorwyn one he laments that the "power points are in the wrong places" because lorwyn is supposed to be a creature-centric tribal set, but the best cards in it were stuff like cryptic command, thoughtseize, ponder, etc.

A random part of that episode I liked was finding out people made fun of you for playing ponder when it first came out.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
My only problem with too much text is when its a super convoluted way to describe an effect that ends up being very....not powerful. There was a good bit of that in Kaldheim and it hit a crescendo in Strixhaven with the professors, all of whom I believe weren't any good outside of Limited.

I don't find the text too overwhelming for Innistrad so far, but I haven't played with the cards yet, I mostly grok whats going on with the cards though

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Elblanco posted:

A random part of that episode I liked was finding out people made fun of you for playing ponder when it first came out.

Thats still just bonkers to me.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Do any cards trigger off of night>day, or day>night alone, or are all of the time triggers either way? I don't remember seeing any.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Do any cards trigger off of night>day, or day>night alone, or are all of the time triggers either way? I don't remember seeing any.

If you want to be really picky, Brutal Cathar only exiles more creatures when it flips to the human side, but otherwise all the non werewolves trigger in both directions.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lone Goat posted:

If you want to be really picky, Brutal Cathar only exiles more creatures when it flips to the human side, but otherwise all the non werewolves trigger in both directions.

If scryfall is to be believed there's only like 10 cards that even trigger on the day/night flip without a transformation being involved.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Pablo Nergigante posted:

If scryfall is to be believed there's only like 10 cards that even trigger on the day/night flip without a transformation being involved.

Full spoiler is out?

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/card-image-gallery/innistrad-midnight-hunt

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Lone Goat posted:

Nah, that triggers off transform. The awkward wording (day becomes night or night becomes day) on the non-transform triggers is probably to reduce vocabulary / room for confusion, but either part would stand on its own as a trigger condition.

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

mcmagic posted:

There was a mono red eldrazi deck that won an MTGO event recently.

https://twitter.com/matsugan/status/1437501250363289602

Thanks, that deck looks powerful, although I think that the synergy is not super high here.
Especially the Ragavan - Chalice combination.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Defeatist Elitist posted:

LR being sponsored by a crypto exchange is about to put me into a dissociative state.

Gross.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Lsv saying "that's a bad faith argument" when people say they're mad he's sponsored by something accelerating the death of the planet says a lot about him

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
P fair response to someone @-ing you in twitch chat saying "you're killing the planet, bro", unless you're referring to something other than the 6 second clip someone posted.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
So whos glued to the the modern Trophy Race?
Mere 15 hours remain!

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Wooper posted:

P fair response to someone @-ing you in twitch chat saying "you're killing the planet, bro", unless you're referring to something other than the 6 second clip someone posted.

it's literally true though

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
that viewer was only pretending to think it's bad how the earth is overheating and killing all of humanity

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Good comment from the LR reddit:

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
podicide

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

A big flaming stink posted:

it's literally true though

I think WotC is probably more harmful to the environment than crypto if we're really gonna raise concerns over emissions.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Dias posted:

I think WotC is probably more harmful to the environment than crypto if we're really gonna raise concerns over emissions.

I’m certain the scales have tipped the other way several years ago.

I’m really surprised how well legacy has been able to absorb the ragavan/murktide/DRC decks. The format isn’t unrecognizable from a few years ago, but removal is so efficient that it’s really wild to see. I was worried they may have to ban rag, but it looks like it’ll be ok? I should note I hate how much rag has as a 1-drop, but that ship sailed a long time ago.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Dias posted:

while i understand the intuition behind this, it is in fact not the case when it comes to crypto just because of the degree to which crypto is staggeringly wasteful

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Entropic posted:

Good comment from the LR reddit:

Lol that owns

Chakan posted:

I’m certain the scales have tipped the other way several years ago.

I’m really surprised how well legacy has been able to absorb the ragavan/murktide/DRC decks. The format isn’t unrecognizable from a few years ago, but removal is so efficient that it’s really wild to see. I was worried they may have to ban rag, but it looks like it’ll be ok? I should note I hate how much rag has as a 1-drop, but that ship sailed a long time ago.

I don't like ragavan at all, but the monkey hasn't completely broken the format and looks to be here to stay unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Savanah lions used to be a chase 5 dollar rare.

And question about the Trophy race, is there any rewards at the end of a season based on those?