Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

:cheerdoge:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Need a tough culture change?
Available?
Has coached in The Alliance?

All signs are pointing to Tim Beckman.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Fickell going to LA sounds really weird just considering the guy who he is and what he's obviously been holding out for in Michigan/PSU/OSU if Day stinks and people get crazy.

USC is about the one job out of the midwest people pretty widely think he'd consider, and it's mainly a factor of his relationship with Bohn. He'd immediately have credibility with the boosters in a way very few external hires would, but it's entirely a matter of whether USC wants attention right now or not. It's a widely known thing at this point that attrition throughout the university admins is insane right now, so the idea of hiring a guy who's known for being the loyal soldier makes sense for a school that desperately wants to have something it can point to that isn't a massive scandal.

Per Steven Godfrey, OSU/ND are the other two, but I'm not even sure he jumps for Penn State if they approached Franklin at this point. Why join a division with OSU/Michigan/Michigan State when I can stay where I am and likely play against a mixture of UCF/Kansas/K State/WVU/Iowa State in my division. It's a better job in a vacuum, but he's not the type of coach who feels the need to ladder climb for every incremental job.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Godzilla07 posted:

SI published a retrospective on the 2017 Florida coaching search. Chip Kelly was the #1 target, Dan Mullen was #2, and Scott Frost was #3. Mullen would've taken the Tennessee job if he had not been offered the Florida job.

Florida wasn't impressed with Frost:

TFW when you finally get to escape Starkville:

Stricklin that no good god drat snake in the grass *spits*

I remember when it happened folks on the MSU boards were cursing his name lmao. Can't believe people actually ended friendships over it - anyone with a brain here knew it was only a matter of time before Mullen moved on.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Meyer's already putting pen to paper on his "the SoCal climate will cure my heart palpitations" farewell speech.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/dennisdoddcbs/status/1437544789491204102?s=19

No idea if this is true but seems believable

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

https://twitter.com/dennisdoddcbs/status/1437544789491204102?s=20

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Re-hire Lane Kiffin you cowards.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

hosed up if false

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

It's completely ridiculous to fire your coach after two games, especially when the next three or possibly four are totally winnable going into a bye before a not-very-good Notre Dame. I don't know what throwing the team into disarray for the season does when you're probably not announcing your hire until December anyway.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Hire OJ. Imagine getting him angry.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Komet posted:

It's completely ridiculous to fire your coach after two games, especially when the next three or possibly four are totally winnable going into a bye before a not-very-good Notre Dame.

You cracked the code, this is why they fired him now.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Spacebump posted:

USC should steal Gary Patterson now that TCU is locked out of the P4. They can offer more money and are in a cooler location.

This is the worst cultural fit I think they could find, and I genuinely mean that. USC's already in a weird administrative disaster zone where they can barely keep administrators in their jobs long enough. Hiring an abrasive rear end in a top hat probably isn't in the cards here.

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Fickell going to LA sounds really weird just considering the guy who he is and what he's obviously been holding out for in Michigan/PSU/OSU if Day stinks and people get crazy.

The thing to remember about Fickell is that he's a creature of the Tressel era. Helton's selling point was that he was going to be loyal and hang out. The problem is he was a pretty mediocre football coach. Fickell gives you that personality type in an actual proven program builder.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Komet posted:

It's completely ridiculous to fire your coach after two games, especially when the next three or possibly four are totally winnable going into a bye before a not-very-good Notre Dame. I don't know what throwing the team into disarray for the season does when you're probably not announcing your hire until December anyway.

He shouldn't have been hired in the first place, has tanked their recruiting, and was never going to get them to where they should be, the crazy thing here is that this didn't happen like three years ago not when they did it this year

TheGreyGhost posted:

The thing to remember about Fickell is that he's a creature of the Tressel era. Helton's selling point was that he was going to be loyal and hang out. The problem is he was a pretty mediocre football coach. Fickell gives you that personality type in an actual proven program builder.

Yeah the only real concern with Fickell is if he can translate outside Ohio

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

https://twitter.com/defectormedia/status/1437481793100435458?s=21

gently caress Zack Smith gently caress Urban Meyer gently caress most of the state of Ohio

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Lol if fickell leaves the moment cincy joins a power 5 conference

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

TheGreyGhost posted:

Helton's selling point was that he was going to be loyal and hang out.
Wait, really? Why is this a selling point for USC? It’s a nice bonus, but who cares? It’s USC. Hire the best, most mercenary coach there is. Who’s capable of poaching a coach from them if they really want to keep him?

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

DC Murderverse posted:

https://twitter.com/defectormedia/status/1437481793100435458?s=21

gently caress Zack Smith gently caress Urban Meyer gently caress most of the state of Ohio

Urban Meyer is such a horrendous piece of loving poo poo. Just an irredeemable trash heap.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Komet posted:

This is exactly wrong. Once you know, it’s time to drop the ax. Don’t give them enough time to introduce doubt with a handful of gimme wins.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

JonathonSpectre posted:

Urban Meyer is such a horrendous piece of loving poo poo. Just an irredeemable trash heap.

This is very “my uncle works for Nintendo” but the mother of one of my employees was their maid and the Meyer’s are definitely every bit the assholes you think they are.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Sports, top to bottom, is filled with absolutely irredeemable pieces of poo poo

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
urban to usc lets goooooooooooooooooo

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Sports, top to bottom, is filled with absolutely irredeemable pieces of poo poo

untrue nick saban is an angel

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Scionix posted:

urban to usc lets goooooooooooooooooo

untrue nick saban is an angel

Nick Saban was gonna hire the wifebeater in question right in the middle of all of this and the only reason he didn’t succeed is because Urban guilt tripped the guy to keep him in Columbus.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Scarf posted:

this mother fucker aint even a good tuba player tho.

Also that hill is steeper than it looks I've drunkenly fallen down it more times than I care to admit :colbert:

Vaguely fun story there. During my tenure with Bama’s band enough of the sousaphone players got arrested for drugs or something that they didn’t have enough bodies to fill out the halftime show where they needed them for some visual or the other. So they went and grabbed me as a literal body to just transport the drat horn around and fake playing it for the run of that particular halftime show. The also had me so it in the stands for some reason so there were several weeks of some weird looks from folks as danced around not making a drat sound during basket case. Weird times.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

why am I worried all of a sudden about people hiring away Cristobal and Moorhead, what is this feeling, holy poo poo are we back again.

jokes aside I'm real excited to see this Moorhead offense, it's so thematically similar to peak Chip Kelly Oregon that it puts me in my happy place. It might be because I'm not surrounded by Duck fans expecting 15-win seasons every year but I think both have done a good job (lol 2020 Pac-12 Champions bay bee) and this team could be really special in a way I've only seen a few teams reach at Oregon.

Helton getting canned isn't the surprise, that it happened after week 2 kind of is.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

DC Murderverse posted:

Nick Saban was gonna hire the wifebeater in question right in the middle of all of this and the only reason he didn’t succeed is because Urban guilt tripped the guy to keep him in Columbus.

hmmmm I don't believe you

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Scionix posted:

hmmmm I don't believe you

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
now find a more reliable witness than urban meyer

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Why does Urban Meyer text like a 13 year old typing on AIM in 1999?

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

yeah and Alabama said they did a background check in 2018 after all this and decided not to hire him, so I guess I will have to decide if I believe Nick Saban or Urban Meyer and Zach Smith lmao

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Metapod posted:

Lol if fickell leaves the moment cincy joins a power 5 conference

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Raku posted:

I mean it’s not Urban Meyer making a story up to explain anything it’s from his texts that the university worked really hard to try and hide, I don’t know why there would be multiple private conversations about a thing that didn’t happen

After thinking about it this isn’t really on Saban though, it’s possible that he had heard about this guy through the grapevine but it’s also possible he truly had no idea since it seems like Florida and OSU kept the rumors on lockdown

It does make Urban look even stupider because if he he let the guy go to Bama the whole thing probably wouldn’t have blown up in his face like it did and he might not have had to “retire”

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Zach Smith was an absolute dogshit WR coach so it would’ve been funny to see him completely waste talented WRs at Bama.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

LeeMajors posted:

This is exactly wrong. Once you know, it’s time to drop the ax. Don’t give them enough time to introduce doubt with a handful of gimme wins.

While I 100% agree with this... what was it that USC learned in the first two games that they didn't already know last year? And why were they so slow to learn it when basically everyone else on the planet already knew?

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

drewhead posted:

While I 100% agree with this... what was it that USC learned in the first two games that they didn't already know last year? And why were they so slow to learn it when basically everyone else on the planet already knew?

Two things, for the sake of argument: 1) UCLA is suddenly good again, and 2) By moving now, they don't compete with Texas.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/pistolrick/status/1437622214761791490?s=21

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

drewhead posted:

The fans weren’t there to boo and eventually vacate the stadium last year.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

drewhead posted:

Being wrong last year doesn’t make it less right to fire him immediately this year, even if it’s been apparent to everyone else for awhile that he wasn’t the guy.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Alabama is a tougher job than many people seem to think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Raku posted:

"We'll need about three hours with Urban's phone to sanitize it and disappear all text messages over one year old now that authorities are interested in your text messages over one year old."

Something written by people absolutely on the up-and-up.

Also, Zach Smith is a weakling piece of poo poo and the only thing more pathetic than a man who hits a woman is a loving rat dying of syphilis. Imagine being in his incredibly privileged position and you just can't stop trying to choke out your wife despite all your protectors working overtime to hide your awfulness.