Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Technocrat posted:

Grave of the Fireflies. That's a cartoon starting kids, so that's got to be appropriate, right? (said my aunt)

having nam flashbacks rn after seeing this movie as a child

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Lol I’m reminded of how they tried to run Grave of the Fireflies as a double feature with My Neighbor Totoro and how audiences in the theaters that led with Totoro were having none of that when Fireflies started

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Honestly I could kind of imagine pairing it the other way. Totoro could be an amazing chaser to any sad experience.

But Totoro into GotF is just... psychotic.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Technocrat posted:

Grave of the Fireflies. That's a cartoon starting kids, so that's got to be appropriate, right? (said my aunt)

A scorching hot take I once heard about Grave of the Fireflies is that it is a fascist Nazi sympathizing right wing propaganda film.

Because, it portrays the bombing of Hiroshima as a destructive thing causing death and pain and horror, as opposed to portraying the noble Americans as heros raining down freedom and apple pie on the grateful populace of Japan.

Therefore it must, logically, be sympathetic to the Nazis

This is not a take I personally believe by the way.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The one thing that gave me nightmares as a kid was the vampire from Spiderman: the Animated Series who had lamprey mouths on his hands that he’d use to suck “plasma” from his victims.

I later looked it up and learned that in the comics and such he was a regular pointy-toothed bloodsucking vampire, but they changed this for the animated series because normal vampires are too scary to have in a kids’ show. I’m still convinced all ratings people are just colossal idiots.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Return to Oz. Enough said about that.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

hallo spacedog posted:

The loving bit with the wheeler where he falls off the road and hits the sand and just crumbles

gently caress that

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Uh, Ernest Scared Stupid still haunts me. From the weird Hag to the trolls and the milk.

Everything about that movie has hardcoded my dna to be afraid of everything in it.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

I love Fiddler on the Roof, and the film version of it is fantastic, but when I was a kid I got nightmares from the dream sequence.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
As a kid I just straight up couldn’t watch that one spooky episode of Thomas the Tank Engine.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

hallo spacedog posted:

drat, I gotta watch that again. So weird, such great production design. The Nome Kings deep voice always freaked me out as a kid.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Poltergeist had me terrified of clown dolls as a kid

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Question Mark Mound posted:

As a kid I just straight up couldn’t watch that one spooky episode of Thomas the Tank Engine.

I don't even know if I ever even saw any actual episodes of Thomas the Tank Engine as a kid, I just know I was scared of Thomas.

And of Hawkmouth in Super Mario Bros 2.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Jaws had me convinced a shark might come out of the toilet and bite my bum. This never happens during Jaws, and sharks are far too large to fit in the toilet. :iiam:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

drat, I gotta watch that again. So weird, such great production design. The Nome Kings deep voice always freaked me out as a kid.

today I learned Dorothy was played by Fairuza Balk in her film debut

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Scratch Monkey posted:

Poltergeist had me terrified of clown dolls as a kid

Killer Clowns from Outer Space did the trick for me.
Sadly it came out in '88 which means I was at least 8 or 9 before seeing it on TV, it scared the poo poo out of me.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I remember seeing Laserblast on the TV as kid and something about it about messed with me for quite a while.

These days I know that MST3K ended up doing an episode on it at some point, so it must have been low budget thrash. Yet I've never felt like watching it again. I probably like the vague scary memory more than seeing what is actually underneath the bed sheet.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

It's actually kind of an awesomely produced film just not at all good to show to a couple of 6 year old kids. Weirdly even scarier to me as a child than the fantasy stuff was the forced shock therapy because it seemed too real.

Speaking of which, there's a scene in the original Muppet movie where Mel Brooks is going to strap Kermit down and do shock therapy to destroy his brain and that terrified me a lot as a kid too. Why was this a common thing in 70s-80s kids films?!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
That poor shoe in Who Framed Roger Rabbit

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

BrigadierSensible posted:

A scorching hot take I once heard about Grave of the Fireflies is that it is a fascist Nazi sympathizing right wing propaganda film.

Because, it portrays the bombing of Hiroshima as a destructive thing causing death and pain and horror, as opposed to portraying the noble Americans as heros raining down freedom and apple pie on the grateful populace of Japan.

Therefore it must, logically, be sympathetic to the Nazis

There's an unfortunate tendency in some Japanese media (usually by right-wingers trying to downplay Japanese war atrocities) to portray the atomic bombings as something that just happened all of a sudden with no acknowledgement of the last decade or so of warfare that led up to it.

I'm amazed Grave of the Fireflies could be mistaken for one of those, however, since it isn't even loving about Hiroshima.

Vincent Van Goatse has a new favorite as of 12:45 on Sep 14, 2021

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

There's an unfortunate tendency in some Japanese media (usually by right-wingers trying to downplay Japanese war atrocities) to portray the atomic bombings as something that just happened all of a sudden with no acknowledgement of the last decade or so of warfare that led up to it.

I'm amazed Grave of the Fireflies could be mistaken for one of those, however, since it isn't even loving about Hiroshima.

"From 1930-1945 Japan just suddenly disappeared from the world. When it returned America bombed it for no reason"

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

https://twitter.com/InFoodandDrink/status/1437400674577301506

I made several loud groans when seeing this. The link makes no mention of having taken a certain other something into account either.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

and I bet Pandemic is the most googled board game!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

At last people are taking notice of my cooperative videography app, CoVid!

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

I watched this film while doing my second ever tab of acid. Heavy poo poo

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

When I was 7-8 I was naughty and watched HBO when my parents weren't home. I caught the part of Poltergeist 2 where he swallowed the tequila worm and pukes up a monster.

I strained all the pulp out of my orange juice for a decade.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

The one thing that gave me nightmares as a kid was the vampire from Spiderman: the Animated Series who had lamprey mouths on his hands that he’d use to suck “plasma” from his victims.

I later looked it up and learned that in the comics and such he was a regular pointy-toothed bloodsucking vampire, but they changed this for the animated series because normal vampires are too scary to have in a kids’ show. I’m still convinced all ratings people are just colossal idiots.

And he’s getting a movie with Jared Leto!

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

History in Japanese schools pretty much skips forward 70 years from the Black Ships to the atomic bomb being used, because nothing important happened then right?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

AFewBricksShy posted:

I hate the moving version, it's like those creepy "animate old photographs" gifs that were made a year or so ago.
I'm going to mess you up by telling you that was less than 7 months ago

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Facebook Aunt posted:

Jaws had me convinced a shark might come out of the toilet and bite my bum. This never happens during Jaws, and sharks are far too large to fit in the toilet. :iiam:
Sharks swim in water; there's water in the toilet. I rest my case.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

rydiafan posted:

When I was 7-8 I was naughty and watched HBO when my parents weren't home. I caught the part of Poltergeist 2 where he swallowed the tequila worm and pukes up a monster.

I strained all the pulp out of my orange juice for a decade.
...why not just ask your parents to buy no-pulp orange juice?

I mean I'm arguing with your like eight-year-old self so really it's me that's the IOSM here.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Facebook Aunt posted:

Not the baby sharks. Dun dun. Dun dun. Dun dun. Dun dun dundundun.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
To this day I have never seen a Mizayaki film, but I remember having the flu when I was around fourteen and drifting in and out of sleep with a fever while Princess Mononoke was playing on the television. I didn't even find out what it was until I tried to describe it to someone years later. All I could remember was a colony of Pillsbury Doughboys having seizures in the woods, a superhero with a grass cape and a funky arm, and wild boars exploding into clouds of poo poo.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah you pretty much got it

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Vib Rib posted:

Sharks swim in water; there's water in the toilet. I rest my case.
We're gonna need a bigger bog.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Pope Corky the IX posted:

To this day I have never seen a Mizayaki film, but I remember having the flu when I was around fourteen and drifting in and out of sleep with a fever while Princess Mononoke was playing on the television. I didn't even find out what it was until I tried to describe it to someone years later. All I could remember was a colony of Pillsbury Doughboys having seizures in the woods, a superhero with a grass cape and a funky arm, and wild boars exploding into clouds of poo poo.

Mentally replacing the kodamas with pillsbury doughboys and having a great time rn.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Facebook Aunt posted:

This happened to me but with jurassic park, I had a friend that lived describing movies to me when we were 7, but he sucked at it so I was convinced the lawyer in the movie was eaten through the toilet, scared the poo poo out of me for years.

Another kid poorly explaining movies a few years later convinced me that the matrix stared kids.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ookiimarukochan posted:

History in Japanese schools pretty much skips forward 70 years from the Black Ships to the atomic bomb being used, because nothing important happened then right?

I hear this but I also hear the opposite, not sure how much is an exaggeration or some bits of Japan have the equivalent of Texas school books.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Dienes posted:

Not the baby sharks. Dun dun. Dun dun. Dun dun. Dun dun dundundun.

You're thinking of adult sharks. Baby sharks go "doo, doo, doo doo, doo doo".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Japanese schoolbooks make Texan schoolbooks look like... uh... good schoolbooks. (sorry, I went to school in Texas)