Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Has anyone tried Tin Can? https://store.steampowered.com/app/1315980/Tin_Can_Escape_Pod_Simulator/

It’s something that looks like it scratches an itch I rarely find anywhere else. A deeply simulated mechanical an electrical system where you need to understand how stuff goes together. Like a mechanic simulator mixed with Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

I've been playing a lot of Heat Signature and Cryptark lately, both are great games, and now I'm really feeling like playing more games based around the idea of infiltrating randomly generated compounds full of complex interlocking systems.
Anyone can recommend anything like that?

Check out Void Bastards

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Check out Void Bastards

Take this with a grain of salt, because while VB is procedural and has the same "invade a ship and do stuff on a time limit" loop, it is also very samey, shallow, and boring. I wanted a first person Heat Signature, and it was not even close. I regretted buying it.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Jack Trades posted:

I've been playing a lot of Heat Signature and Cryptark lately, both are great games, and now I'm really feeling like playing more games based around the idea of infiltrating randomly generated compounds full of complex interlocking systems.

Invisible Inc might be what you're after.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Riatsala posted:

I'm looking for a mystery or puzzle game to play with my gf. We really enjoyed Tangle Tower and Sherlock Holmes: Crime and Punishment on the whodunnit end and Machinarium on the point and click puzzle game end. We bounced off of Monkey Island for the humor being a little corny and grating. Between us we have a Switch, a high-end PC, and Apple/Android tablets. Any recommendations? I might see if Neverhood is available on GOG or just straight-up abandonware, now.

Return of the Obra Dinn as mentioned above

A Normal Lost Phone and sequel

Device 6

Maybe Overboard

Paradise Killer as mentioned above

Maybe broken age - best during travel imo since the phone port is good.

Board games:
Maybe Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective- it’s a board game but could’ve been a pc game (and maybe should’ve been since it’s kind of fiddly)

Possibly time stories

Possibly one of the escape the room/EXIT games

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

Seconding Invisible Inc, and also that Void Bastards is extremely bad

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's Gunpoint, a non-procedural game about infiltrating made by the guy who made Heat Signature.

Riatsala posted:

I'm looking for a mystery or puzzle game to play with my gf. We really enjoyed Tangle Tower and Sherlock Holmes: Crime and Punishment on the whodunnit end and Machinarium on the point and click puzzle game end. We bounced off of Monkey Island for the humor being a little corny and grating. Between us we have a Switch, a high-end PC, and Apple/Android tablets. Any recommendations? I might see if Neverhood is available on GOG or just straight-up abandonware, now.

I'd actually like to know more of what you didn't like about Monkey Island. It's a bit rough, but it's also one of the earliest adventure games from way back in 1990. If you're open to trying other more comedic games, there's the cartoony but brilliant Day of the Tentacle. You could also try some of Telltale's stuff (from before they got taken over by the Walking Dead model, which is less puzzle more just drama). Tales of Monkey Island has more modern sensibilities and might make you willing to take another try at Secret/Revenge/Curse, and there's also Sam & Max, which season 1: Saves the World can be a bit rough so you might consider skipping that and going to season 2: Beyond Time and Space or season 3: The Devil's Playhouse, the best one. And if you've ever enjoyed Homestar Runner, you gotta go play Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People, but if you don't know what that is, well it's a weird internet thing, don't worry about it.

Some adventure games that are just a little silly but not really full comedy are Phoenix Wright (anime lawyer game) and Puzzle Agent 1&2.

And for wholly non-comedy, there's Primordia.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Riatsala posted:

If you like Myst like games Obduction was very good. Though if you like puzzle games you may have already played it I suppose

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Jack Trades posted:

SlothfulCobra posted:

There's Gunpoint, a non-procedural game about infiltrating made by the guy who made Heat Signature.

Gunpoint is an awesome infiltrating game, if only it were longer! It's so short but so incredibly good.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Gunpoint is great.

Thanks for suggestions but unfortunately I already played most of them a shitton.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Jack Trades posted:

Invisible, Inc. is exactly this

e: oh, new page

Riatsala posted:

I'm currently going through Ace Attorney Chronicles with my wife, it's great fun if a little slow-paced at times.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

ZeusCannon posted:

If you like Myst like games Obduction was very good. Though if you like puzzle games you may have already played it I suppose

I just finished Myst (2021). Will I enjoy Obduction more if I play the other Myst games (particularly Riven)?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Playing Riven will prime you for some of the puzzle logic in Obduction, particularly the mathy puzzles.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Bedshaped posted:

I just finished Myst (2021). Will I enjoy Obduction more if I play the other Myst games (particularly Riven)?

Its not in the Myst universe so no need to worry about missing plot etc.

Its a Cyan game so it has that Myst feel but its a standalone world.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Riatsala posted:

I don't think anyone recommended The Witness yet. And on the adventure/mystery side there's also Life is Strange

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

We are stuck in lockdown in NZ so my xbone has been getting a good workout. I'm looking for good 4 player local games. Coop or versus is fine. We've been jamming Halo and Rocket League but open to any and all suggestions.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

STREETS OF RAGE!!!!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

exquisite tea posted:

STREETS OF RAGE!!!!

When did this become 4 player

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Sorry I misread that. It's 4-player on couch co-op or you can use Remote Play to make 4-player games over Steam.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

We are stuck in lockdown in NZ so my xbone has been getting a good workout. I'm looking for good 4 player local games. Coop or versus is fine. We've been jamming Halo and Rocket League but open to any and all suggestions.

Monaco is a fun little puzzle heist game with each character having a power

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Looking for a co-op game that is actually a game (i.e. things to beat, victory conditions, progress) to play with my SO and young adult daughter remotely (so it has to allow three players at least). One issue is that SO isn't very experienced with games, so anything really fast paced or clicky wouldn't be good (so like probably RTS comp stomps would be out - it would be too much to manage multiple units, etc.).

I know I'm being picky, but I'm not looking for something that is basically just an aimless builder like Minecraft.

I was thinking about Don't Starve Together (which I've actually played with both of them separately), but I think it's a bit much for SO - the constant time pressure (you basically need to constantly be collecting resources or, surprise, starve or otherwise get killed) is a bit too much right now. Also thought about Valheim, but it's a bit janky, and I'm not sure how well she would handle the first person stuff.

Was thinking about a Terraria server, but kind of wanted some other options.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

SlyFrog posted:

Looking for a co-op game that is actually a game (i.e. things to beat, victory conditions, progress) to play with my SO and young adult daughter remotely (so it has to allow three players at least). One issue is that SO isn't very experienced with games, so anything really fast paced or clicky wouldn't be good (so like probably RTS comp stomps would be out - it would be too much to manage multiple units, etc.).

I know I'm being picky, but I'm not looking for something that is basically just an aimless builder like Minecraft.

I was thinking about Don't Starve Together (which I've actually played with both of them separately), but I think it's a bit much for SO - the constant time pressure (you basically need to constantly be collecting resources or, surprise, starve or otherwise get killed) is a bit too much right now. Also thought about Valheim, but it's a bit janky, and I'm not sure how well she would handle the first person stuff.

Stardew Valley

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Hwurmp posted:

Stardew Valley

^^^^ this for sure

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

Stardew Valley

Tried this with SO. She's not into it. Too cutesy/Harvest Moonish. (She wouldn't have that frame of reference to describe it, but I'm trying to sum up why she didn't like it.) She's not into the relationship stuff, JRPG dialogue stuff, or things like that. I also think she generally does dig the whole slow farm planting thing.

She's not in any way into anime or other themes that are kind of bog standard in that type of game, so the things that a lot of us take for granted just being long term geeks (character pictures appearing, then a dialogue box causing the picture to change to a vaguely Japanese "shocked" expression, or little sprite imps dancing around for no reason in some old warehouse) just seem weird and offputting to her.

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Sep 14, 2021

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Are you looking for something with long term progression or a persistent world? If not, ill suggest Monaco again lol

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Notorious anime game, Stardew Valley.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Are you looking for something with long term progression or a persistent world? If not, ill suggest Monaco again lol

Probably, yes. It does not have to be long term or persistent in the sense of an MMO or something, but also probably not looking for the type of game that is just 20-30 minutes or in little rounds like Overcooked or something.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Magicka is one that seems pretty open to people who may be at varying skill levels. It's a full campaign game and a sequel.

Otherwise, it sounds like you're going for one of the many survival games out there. Minecraft might be one of the easiest ones to get into, since it's sort of the well from which most of the genre flows, and Astroneer is pretty good for exploration and not worrying about the survival aspect as much, but it doesn't have farming.

Three players is a bit weird since not as many non-open-world games are made for that number. Affordable Space Adventures, but that's local and on the Wii-U. Overcooked is made to scale for any number of players. Otherwise, there's a whole lot of games made for a four player campaign like Deep Rock Glactic, Left for Dead, or Payday, and a lot of games made for two-player campaigns.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

exquisite tea posted:

Sorry I misread that. It's 4-player on couch co-op or you can use Remote Play to make 4-player games over Steam.

Thanks for this, I genuinely never realized Streets of Rage 4 had 4 player at all because I originally got it through Gamepass.

SlyFrog posted:

Probably, yes. It does not have to be long term or persistent in the sense of an MMO or something, but also probably not looking for the type of game that is just 20-30 minutes or in little rounds like Overcooked or something.

OK so the requirements so far, near as I can tell, are

Progression over time, including between sessions
Actual ending/win condition
3-player pure co-op
Limited execution/experience requirement

Off the top of my head, these qualify and can be seen as good by some people

River City Ransom Underground (if you plan to play together 100% of the time you're playing and if you are ok with beatemups)
Divinity: Original Sin 2 (turn-based rpg)
Heroes of Hammerwatch (roguelite, but I mean, it has an end boss)
Dying Light (FPS controls, but not RTS, and you help each other so maybe that can work out I dunno)
Battletoads (there is a new one that is 3-player)

I dunno maybe this will jog some memories because they're all different genres (roughly)

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
Coop games that have worked for my family:

- Gunfire Reborn
- Genshin Impact
- The Witness (puzzling as a group with taking turns driving)
- Final Fantasy XIV
- Overcooked (after some timeouts to work on effective communication; pretty educational in that way)
- Risk of Rain 2
- Valheim

and for a really fun non-coop experience, Unspottable.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

For the King is designed for 3 player Co op specifically and is a lot of fun played together. Has a sort of cute fantasy board game aesthetic and is just the right balance of complex and approachable

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

signalnoise posted:

OK so the requirements so far, near as I can tell, are

Progression over time, including between sessions
Actual ending/win condition
3-player pure co-op
Limited execution/experience requirement

I don't know if there has to be a total win condition (like Terraria doesn't really have a "you won" win screen), but there needs to be game generated goals and progress (like Terraria bosses, improving equipment, stuff like that).

I'm basically just trying to say something super sandbox without much of a game generated goal, like Minecraft, probably wouldn't be good.

Thanks for the suggestions!

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Sep 14, 2021

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Age of Wonders III might be good? It's a turn-based strategy, you can play it as a group and comp stomp but unlike with real-time strategy games the pace might be slow enough that your SO doesn't feel overwhelmed?

You also get to make your own avatars and games can take several hours / days with RPG elements so there's definitely a sense of progression

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
EDF

The answer is always EDF

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

SlyFrog posted:

I don't know if there has to be a total win condition (like Terraria doesn't really have a "you won" win screen), but there needs to be game generated goals and progress (like Terraria bosses, improving equipment, stuff like that).

I'm basically just trying to say something super sandbox without much of a game generated goal, like Minecraft, probably wouldn't be good.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Torchlight 2 might be a good try, it's not grimdark like most ARPGs, and less hardcore as well, would be fun to play co-op.

Haven't played Valheim, but I hear great things.

If FPS controls are ok:

Raft - survival crafting with a campaign (that might not be done yet, still in early access) and a bit of combat, adjustable difficulty level.

Deep Rock Galactic - short-ish missions but with good variety and you get progression through character upgrades, adjustable difficulty level

Borderlands series - they're dumb but fun, the best chill co-op shooting experience I've found with a story rather than missions.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
A Heroes of might and magic clone/Indy reimagining was brought up here recently. It’s HoMM overworld but had a real time, no doomstacks combat. What was it again?

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
Hero's Hour?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

SlyFrog posted:

the thing about halo coop multiplayer is it's incredibly easy because of how respawning works, and you can turn on certain skulls like infinite ammo to make it even easier. i'm pretty sure 3 people playing on easy mode with infinite ammo is as "baby's first FPS" as you could possibly get. biggest issue is halo 1 and 2 are 2 player coop only

EDF and divinity original sin 2 are solid picks, though D:OS2 has dialogue trees so maybe run some of that by the SO first. borderlands isn't a bad choice. magicka is a good choice unless you think dying to friendly fire won't go over well (note that casting a revive spell is pretty easy and something you'll quickly have the muscle memory for, so the typical death only lasts a few seconds)

satisfactory is a pretty cool game to play multiplayer if you think at least 2 out of 3 members of the group would like the logistical factory building stuff. if someone isn't into the whole factory building thing they can explore the incredibly pretty and massive gameworld instead to hunt down goodies that the factory needs, which is also a perfectly enjoyable experience if you're into that. it's a bit on the open world survival side of things but there's pretty explicit goals the game wants you to accomplish, even if you can completely gently caress off to do totally unrelated stuff instead (whatever you do the resulting materials will probably come back around at a later goal and be helpful anyways)

the first dungeon defenders might be worth looking at

diablolikes are probably worth checking out. grim dawn is cool

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

SlyFrog posted:

Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime is pretty fun and supports Remote Play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Minecraft Dungeons is a pretty good babbys first diablo-like. Pretty simple, no skill trees, but still can be fun especially on a co op scenario.

Bonus is that it's even got cross platform play, you could play on a switch with someone else on a PC with someone else on an Xbox etc.

They also seem to poop out expansions with new content every few months.