Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009

Mr. Apollo posted:

”Trudeau is too woke/too much of a SJW.” Is what a lot of Conservative voters are telling me. NDP and Liberal voters generally give me some vague policy (real or imagined) reason why they’re voting for their party. However, a lot of Conservative voters seem to be driven by anger at Trudeau for a reason they can’t really elaborate on.

It reminds me a lot of the anger against Wynne, with a lot of the rage against Trudeau seeming to be similarly misogynistic in nature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Mr. Apollo posted:

”Trudeau is too woke/too much of a SJW.” Is what a lot of Conservative voters are telling me. NDP and Liberal voters generally give me some vague policy (real or imagined) reason why they’re voting for their party. However, a lot of Conservative voters seem to be driven by anger at Trudeau for a reason they can’t really elaborate on.

They largely agree with the actual bad things Trudeau has done so they have to make up an imaginary version that's a diehard stalinist

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Yeah pretty much. They were calling it back in 2015 but it’s really weird to see it in person. There’s plenty to criticize him on but they best most of them seem to do is just a general deep seated anger towards him.

Yinlock posted:

They largely agree with the actual bad things Trudeau has done so they have to make up an imaginary version that's a diehard stalinist
Yeah I think it’s this.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
If Canada really is constantly 4 years behind the state's then we are finally entering the stage of politics where the right enters Trumpian spite ie voting against someone out of spite moreso than for someone. See also: doing stupid things to own the libs, hating any left leaning policy that benefits you etc.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I just got a PPC flyer in the mail. Apparently the candidates for Toronto-St. Pauls and Davenport are husband and wife, and they made one leaflet for three ridings. Also, all the candidates and the local campaign group are using free Gmail addresses.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Madkal posted:

If Canada really is constantly 4 years behind the state's then we are finally entering the stage of politics where the right enters Trumpian spite ie voting against someone out of spite moreso than for someone. See also: doing stupid things to own the libs, hating any left leaning policy that benefits you etc.
Yup, a lot of the Conservative voters told me their voting for the Cons to “punish Trudeau”. None of them said their vote was because of something they liked on the CPC platform; it’s all voting to spite Trudeau.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

infernal machines posted:

I just got a PPC flyer in the mail. Apparently the candidates for Toronto-St. Pauls and Davenport are husband and wife, and they made one leaflet for three ridings. Also, all the candidates and the local campaign group are using free Gmail addresses.

Saw one candidate that has his email address listed as galacticbutterfly@hotmail.ca lmao

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

ZeeBoi posted:

Saw one candidate that has his email address listed as galacticbutterfly@hotmail.ca lmao

That's some serious :effort: right there.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Oh poo poo the Parry Sound-Muskoka candidate is Revolver Ocelot

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

ZeeBoi posted:

:ocelot:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Makes sense, paying money for Gmail addresses is a scam!

I do smile whenever I see a car with a MyLocalDoggyDaycare@telusplanet.net decal or whatever. I realize not everyone knows how to register a domain etc. but still. It's not that hard.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

If you're working with something on the scale of a national party in a federal election campaign, someone somewhere should probably have a clue. It's one thing for a local crank running as an independent, but beyond that spend the money and set up proper email for your candidates.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

ZeeBoi posted:

lmao

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ZeeBoi posted:

Devolver Coughsalot

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

ZeeBoi posted:

Official Policy of Multiculturalism

I am personally opposed to the Official policy of Multiculturalism. It encourages immigrants to keep the values and culture they left behind instead of integrating into Canadian society and adopting Canadian values and culture. In a free society, immigrants have the right to cherish and maintain their cultural heritage, but not at the expense of taxpayers.

what the hell are canadian values

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

What is the expense to the taxpayer?

Are immigrants not also taxpayers?

mila kunis posted:

Presumably the great bargains at Zellers

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014

mila kunis posted:

Playing hockey idk. By the way there are a not insignificant number of brown uncles who think the same way as the guy above. In Brampton alot of people hate the international students who come to study at Sheridan college.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Presumably the great bargains at Zellers

I have some bad news about that one, you might want to sit down for this…

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

So too Canadian values.

A coincidence? I think not.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

The spirit of Zellers lives on in Giant Tiger.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Arc Hammer posted:

189 cases of Covid in Ontario schools and one school already closed as a result. We've tried nothing and we're all out of ideas, people folks.

This sounds bad but there's roughly 2 million elementary and secondary students in Ontario. I wouldn't quite declare it disaster yet.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ego-bot posted:

The spirit of Zellers lives on in Giant Tiger.

Do they have a restaurant selling hot beef sandwiches to seniors? If not, no go.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Ah Zellers, the poor man's Sears (which was the poor man's the bay)

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

Oxyclean posted:

Feels like goldfish memory only applies to the PCs, because boy do I always have to hear about how the ONDP hosed up that one time or whatever.

...or if you mention "Trudeau" or the "NEP" to an Albertan. That any seats in 2015 went to the Liberals is testament to how sick and tired some of us were about Harper basically pulling the football away the moment he got elected to a majority. Otherwise smart, thoughtful people start frothing at the mouth and start looking for the nearest pitchfork when the subject is brought up of energy resource policy under the Liberals during the 1970s and 80s. It's truly bizarre, and I was born and raised here.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Lars Blitzer posted:

...or if you mention "Trudeau" or the "NEP" to an Albertan. That any seats in 2015 went to the Liberals is testament to how sick and tired some of us were about Harper basically pulling the football away the moment he got elected to a majority. Otherwise smart, thoughtful people start frothing at the mouth and start looking for the nearest pitchfork when the subject is brought up of energy resource policy under the Liberals during the 1970s and 80s. It's truly bizarre, and I was born and raised here.

The best part is even if you blame the NEP for that one, nobody can explain who's to blame for Alberta frittering away every other oil boom.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

I don't know if Alberta's production would have allowed it to hit Norway numbers, but it is sort of amazing that despite Norway having modeled their sovereign wealth fund for oil after Alberta, Alberta only has something like $16 bn. in their fund while Norway has over $1.2 trillion now.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Madkal posted:

Let's just be happy the Cons or the PPC hasn't found someone who has mastered manipulating the media yet.

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.

ZeeBoi posted:

This is a will Ferrell character

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Blood Boils posted:

Replace Sears with Eaton's for maximum Canada.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I feel like Giant Tiger is even lower than Zellers. It’s basically a step above Dollarama. Good nursing scrubs tho according to my wife.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

ZeeBoi posted:

lol this nut is my PPC candidate

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
Canadian values is the immense pride I feel every time I walk past the original Giant Tiger in the Market.
Wait also maybe the BeaverTails location there.

But for real, there's a sign saying something like "Tour Buses Welcome" hanging in front of a decrepit alley at that Giant Tiger and I do not want to believe that there are actual tour buses that include the original location of a discount store on their tour. Like that's the follow-up to seeing Parliament or something.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Another Bill posted:

This sounds bad but there's roughly 2 million elementary and secondary students in Ontario. I wouldn't quite declare it disaster yet.

I'd rather not do another year of waiting for things to get bad and then only reacting after it's way too late. By mid way through October we could be right back in the poo poo with sick kids and Ford sweating on air blubbering about how there was no way to prevent this from happening.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Arc Hammer posted:

I'd rather not do another year of waiting for things to get bad and then only reacting after it's way too late.

Yeah but it was abundantly clear that this is what was going to happen pretty much all summer. Despite being in a worse situation, restrictions are way lower right now.

It sucks too because we were maybe on the cusp of keeping Delta at a steady state or even dropping, but there's basically no way IMO that schools aren't going to push the Rt way above 1 again.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Canadian values is getting off work at a branch plant owned by an American conglomerate and picking up a tim hortons double double on your way to your kids hockey game at a local arena named after a school superintendent that was built on top of an unmarked indigenous graveyard

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award

Blood Boils posted:

I remember us buying a hamster once at Zellers, and when the lady went to pick him up to put him in those cardboard transport boxes, he bolted out of her hand. He then ran past the woman's clothing isle, and dissapeared behind a pile of opened Skunk Man (He Man) figurines.

I like to think he is still there, 30 years later.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

vyelkin posted:

Canadian values is getting off work at a branch plant owned by an American conglomerate and picking up a tim hortons double double on your way to your kids hockey game at a local arena named after a school superintendent that was built on top of an unmarked indigenous graveyard

I don't think it will let me spam an entire page of :canada:, so just imagine I did.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
I miss seeing my new Star Wars toy come trundling down the rollers at Consumers Distributing.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Arc Hammer posted:

I'd rather not do another year of waiting for things to get bad and then only reacting after it's way too late. By mid way through October we could be right back in the poo poo with sick kids and Ford sweating on air blubbering about how there was no way to prevent this from happening.

I'm well aware, I have two kids in school myself. I'm checking the numbers in my area and in the province everyday. You're probably right, but lets give it a few weeks and see what happens by Thanksgiving before we start freaking out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Christine Elliot to make an announcement regarding the vaccine certificate requirement starting next week. I'm expecting the worst (like a delay).