Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
I use Git CLI for everything except for merge conflicts, which I use git-conflicted for. I am basically Git-Neo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

wolfman101 posted:

for merge conflicts, which I use git-conflicted for.
Is this only for Vim?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

wolfman101 posted:

I use Git CLI for everything except for merge conflicts, which I use git-conflicted for. I am basically Git-Neo.

Same except gedit with the git plugin for merge conflicts.

Edit:
Everybody should use this alias:
alias gpp=“git pull --prune && git submodule update --recursive”

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Doesn't Git prune/gc periodically on it's own? I mean, every so often when you pull, not without interaction.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Prune and gc are unrelated operations. Git automatically runs gc, but does not automatically prune ever by default as it's a destructive action. If you want it to always happen you can just set git config remote.origin.prune true.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

froglet posted:

I think I'm at the point where I need to either find a new job, or demand a substantial pay rise. While I wouldn't say I'm fantastic at any one thing, I realised while writing things down today that being a generalist might be a speciality in and of itself, particularly given my role. I'm still going to really struggle with the asking, though. :ohdear:

I did it a few months ago. They agreed in principle but didn't have the money. But in the past few weeks they did hire two new people.

And... I get it. They need staff. But I was a bit miffed. The market is going bananas right now, so I had something like 5 interviews across 2 days and had 4 offers to pick from, all for substantially more than what I make currently. It's a no-brainer - I handed in my notice today.

Current work are a bit unhappy. I'll try to hand everything over, but I'm still going to be walking out the door with a whole heap of stuff that isn't written down anywhere.

I'm feeling a bit sad about it - I liked the work itself, things were starting to look like they were going to pick up, and some stuff I would have found extremely fun and interesting was coming up, buuut... The vibe at this job was they didn't really appreciate the value of testing, and took for granted all the neat stuff I did that's way outside the scope of a manual tester.

wolfman101 posted:

All you git CLI people, all I want to ask is how did you git gud? :sun:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Plorkyeran posted:

Prune and gc are unrelated operations. Git automatically runs gc, but does not automatically prune ever by default as it's a destructive action. If you want it to always happen you can just set git config remote.origin.prune true.

Except git gc calls git prune directly whenever it runs. https://git-scm.com/docs/git-gc

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Carbon dioxide posted:

Except git gc calls git prune directly whenever it runs. https://git-scm.com/docs/git-gc

thats not the same prune. using --prune with git pull is like doing git remote prune <name>. git prune cleans up unreferenced objects

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Same except gedit with the git plugin for merge conflicts.

Edit:
Everybody should use this alias:
alias gpp=“git pull --prune && git submodule update --recursive”

I have that same alias, except the submodule part because nothing I work with has them. I also have `gfp` for the fetch equivalent, in case I don't want to touch the branch I'm on (most often like I want to fetch latest main and then rebase on it or something)

Related, I added this more recently and it's been just the best:

code:
alias rmgone="git fetch -p && for branch in \$(git for-each-ref --format '%(refname) %(upstream:track)' refs/heads | awk '\$2 == \"[gone]\" {sub(\"refs/heads/\", \"\", \$1); print \$1}'); do git branch -D \$branch; done"

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

froglet posted:

Whenever you're frustrated with git, take a deep breath, have some ginger and turmeric, and then consult the git man page generator.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

froglet posted:

I did it a few months ago. They agreed in principle but didn't have the money. But in the past few weeks they did hire two new people.

And... I get it. They need staff. But I was a bit miffed. The market is going bananas right now, so I had something like 5 interviews across 2 days and had 4 offers to pick from, all for substantially more than what I make currently. It's a no-brainer - I handed in my notice today.

Current work are a bit unhappy. I'll try to hand everything over, but I'm still going to be walking out the door with a whole heap of stuff that isn't written down anywhere.

I'm feeling a bit sad about it - I liked the work itself, things were starting to look like they were going to pick up, and some stuff I would have found extremely fun and interesting was coming up, buuut... The vibe at this job was they didn't really appreciate the value of testing, and took for granted all the neat stuff I did that's way outside the scope of a manual tester.

Congrats! Do not feel too guilty or work too hard on the way out. They got plenty while they underpaid you for X years.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Steve French posted:

I have that same alias, except the submodule part because nothing I work with has them. I also have `gfp` for the fetch equivalent, in case I don't want to touch the branch I'm on (most often like I want to fetch latest main and then rebase on it or something)

Related, I added this more recently and it's been just the best:

code:
alias rmgone="git fetch -p && for branch in \$(git for-each-ref --format '%(refname) %(upstream:track)' refs/heads | awk '\$2 == \"[gone]\" {sub(\"refs/heads/\", \"\", \$1); print \$1}'); do git branch -D \$branch; done"

It... locally deletes all branches that are gone from the remote?

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
yep

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Careful with that -D - I caused a coworker to lose work by cleaning up stale branches on remote that they had committed but unpushed work in locally. We all learned a lesson that day.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Clanpot Shake posted:

Careful with that -D

But enough about your love life

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Clanpot Shake posted:

Careful with that -D - I caused a coworker to lose work by cleaning up stale branches on remote that they had committed but unpushed work in locally. We all learned a lesson that day.

Generally not a problem for how I and my team get work done with git, but a fair point. In case you weren't aware, just deleting the branch doesn't actually delete the commits, it is just deleting a reference to them (which can cause them to be deleted later with other operations). If anyone is interested in using an alias like this but has a concern that it might delete a branch that they wanted to keep, you could augment it to print out the commit hash of any branches being deleted, so you can easily recover them.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

Clanpot Shake posted:

Git works a lot like a filesystem where the actual commit data is like inodes on disk and the different refs like tags and branches are hard links pointing to these inodes. If all the incoming refs to a blob are removed, the next garbage collection will remove that blob, but until that time it's still there and you can always make a new ref pointing to the blob (though technically I think you're making a ref to an index file and that index file then references all the different involved blobs). That's one reason why the reflog is so useful, because it breaks the fourth wall and lets you operate on entities in the repository that might otherwise be lost or forgotten. Just deleted a branch accidentally? No problem, look at the reflog which will reveal the hash and then you can make a new ref pointing back to it.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
That's true and all well and good but most of the time GC will have run already by the time your coworker actually notices.

It's nice that git has a reasonably effective recovery mode but fetch, merge, rebase, and commit all run gc --auto (I'm sure there are others, those are the ones I'm aware of) so be careful when working on remotes, especially with branches that aren't your own.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
By default git gc only removes reflog entries older than 90 days. I do have some local branches older than 3 months which I wouldn't want to have deleted, but they certainly aren't the norm.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

downout posted:

Congrats! Do not feel too guilty or work too hard on the way out. They got plenty while they underpaid you for X years.

Oh yeah absolutely.

And today they were talking about doing all the things I've been agitating about for 3 whole loving years to make testing so much better and easier. :mad:

I'm genuinely angered by all this - 0 time or money has been put into developing testing (or me/my career), and now I'm going suddenly there's time and money for those things.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

froglet posted:

Oh yeah absolutely.

And today they were talking about doing all the things I've been agitating about for 3 whole loving years to make testing so much better and easier. :mad:

I'm genuinely angered by all this - 0 time or money has been put into developing testing (or me/my career), and now I'm going suddenly there's time and money for those things.

Well yes, you just gave them extra money for the budget!

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Volmarias posted:

That money will be given to an executive as a bonus for cutting costs, or allocated to a contractor that will cause at least three new, worse problems, and you know it.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Volmarias posted:

Che Delilas posted:

That money will be given to an executive as a bonus for cutting costs, or allocated to a contractor that will cause at least three new, worse problems, and you know it.

Oh, that latter one, almost certainly. I told my husband my contract rate is going to be $250/hr, 4 hours minimum.

I handed over some of my scripts on Friday and I suspect people at work are only realising now that the automation I've done is far more substantial and elaborate than they anticipated.

That being said, I'm pretty sure they know I'm leaving shoes so big no one person could possibly fill them. They're planning to advertise a third to a half of my job for (probably) roughly the same money as I make now. (edit: I am so curious whether or not the ad has gone up so I can find out and seethe a bit more...).

It's not like I've been hiding this stuff. My boss knew I had macros saved on my PC (nowhere shared coz nobody else ever needed it and I generally had too much to do to worry about getting hit by a bus), but the rest was all in the shared work repositories. Of course, it's only now I'm pointing it out he's having a look and perhaps realising the volume and quality of work is going to be hard to replace.

Also... This place is pretty disorganised. It took over a week after I quit for my boss to say "hey can you put your files somewhere central?". Luckily for him, I'd started said folder months ago, along with ones for help notes, FAQs, and all the emails I'd sent to other teams in vain. A fair bit of the stuff is already there if they thought to look.

The business manager said they couldn't match the $ I've been offered as it's roughly what they pay their senior developers. And I'm like... Yeah, I'm not a senior developer, but I've been here 3 years, am #1 in knowledge of your app, I wrote all the release notes and the majority of the stories, bugs, test cases and wiki articles, provide extensive support to your own support team, and automated the crap out of your app off my own back coz it made my life easier. In terms of the value I provide to your business, matching the offer I got elsewhere would be a bargain. But alas, they don't think of it like that. Their loss! :)

froglet fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Aug 25, 2021

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I made senior after three years and I am not all that good at this job. Leaving sounds like a great decision.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

thotsky posted:

I made senior after three years and I am not all that good at this job. Leaving sounds like a great decision.

The Cavern of COBOL › Working in Development: Leaving sounds like a great decision.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Munkeymon posted:

The Cavern of COBOL › Working in Development: Leaving sounds like a great decision.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Munkeymon posted:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Munkeymon posted:

Mods????

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Munkeymon posted:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Munkeymon posted:

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Munkeymon posted:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

It totally loving is.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Munkeymon posted:

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Munkeymon posted:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Munkeymon posted:

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

very cool feeling to go home after your entire team just got laid off with no warning, open linkedin to start updating it, and see a post from your company's ceo about how they just posted their highest % profit growth in one quarter ever

eat poo poo you loving blowhards

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

i vomit kittens posted:

very cool feeling to go home after your entire team just got laid off with no warning, open linkedin to start updating it, and see a post from your company's ceo about how they just posted their highest % profit growth in one quarter ever

eat poo poo you loving blowhards

Suppose this is the bit where your purposefully make business logic do the wrong thing

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

thotsky posted:

I'm not a (professional) developer, I cobble scripts to augment my manual testing (i.e. to solve problems that are bothering me and/or getting in my way). :v:

I mean, I say that but I also did a whole lot more than manual testing, up to and including creating scripts to use in production (my reaction when asked: :stare:. And yes, I did do it, but I put an excessive amount of error handling into that thing, then got the senior dev to run through it, and created more test data than strictly necessary to ensure it was all going to go through okay without exploding in prod).

During my last week, I actually sent an email to my manager detailing how terrible testing is at this job, what I did to make it more manageable, and what they can do to fix it both now and in the long term. I didn't exactly tread any new ground - my boss was well aware of the problems - but I laid out why it makes testing either bad or hard, how it'd drive away a lot of testers because it's incredibly demoralising, and what actual good testing looks like from my (admittedly limited) experience. Everyone on my team knew testing was hosed, but they didn't have to do it, so they didn't bother doing anything to fix it despite my (numerous) complaints and conviction that even a little bit of investment in testing would be incredibly helpful. Eventually I stopped complaining and developed what amounted to a series of workarounds to help me handle their apathy. Coz hey, they made it clear they weren't going to fix it and didn't seem to be too bothered by the teams velocity tanking as a result, so what's a few more hours here and there to work out how to make my job easier and/or less miserable?

Anyway, Friday was my last day. When my partner saw the card they gave me, he said 'wow, gently caress those guys, I'm glad you're out'.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

froglet posted:

I'm not a (professional) developer, I cobble scripts to augment my manual testing (i.e. to solve problems that are bothering me and/or getting in my way). :v:

I mean, I say that but I also did a whole lot more than manual testing, up to and including creating scripts to use in production (my reaction when asked: :stare:. And yes, I did do it, but I put an excessive amount of error handling into that thing, then got the senior dev to run through it, and created more test data than strictly necessary to ensure it was all going to go through okay without exploding in prod).

During my last week, I actually sent an email to my manager detailing how terrible testing is at this job, what I did to make it more manageable, and what they can do to fix it both now and in the long term. I didn't exactly tread any new ground - my boss was well aware of the problems - but I laid out why it makes testing either bad or hard, how it'd drive away a lot of testers because it's incredibly demoralising, and what actual good testing looks like from my (admittedly limited) experience. Everyone on my team knew testing was hosed, but they didn't have to do it, so they didn't bother doing anything to fix it despite my (numerous) complaints and conviction that even a little bit of investment in testing would be incredibly helpful. Eventually I stopped complaining and developed what amounted to a series of workarounds to help me handle their apathy. Coz hey, they made it clear they weren't going to fix it and didn't seem to be too bothered by the teams velocity tanking as a result, so what's a few more hours here and there to work out how to make my job easier and/or less miserable?

Anyway, Friday was my last day. When my partner saw the card they gave me, he said 'wow, gently caress those guys, I'm glad you're out'.

Nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

froglet posted:

Post the best excerpts from the card