Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
It's a pretty sweet 1440p 120hz or 1080P 120hz monitor too. Some concern about long term burn in if you use a windows desktop on it 24x7, but I'd just use and enjoy. It'll last years.

The C1 is definitely the set to get if you're gaming since it has GSync and HDMI VRR. It comes in 48/55/65/77/83 sizes.

I find this to be one of the better sources to track C1 deals and https://old.reddit.com/r/OLED_Gaming/ has some good pics of desktop use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Get yourself a C1. You'll be blown away and wondering why you didn't upgrade sooner.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I really need to get around to completing my home office redo so I can wall mount a 48" C1 to use as both a TV while I'm working and a monitor for more laid back games.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Internet Explorer posted:

Get yourself a C1. You'll be blown away and wondering why you didn't upgrade sooner.

Ok, yeah, it sounds like the best play here is the 48" C1 OLED as a replacement monitor. Thanks all!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

77" cx oled will be here tomorrow, I am so ready

e: mount looks really crooked in pic, but it is def level

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I want you to put a level on that and take a picture

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

codo27 posted:

I want you to put a level on that and take a picture

Lol, I have no idea how it looked so crooked in that pic

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

Enos Cabell posted:

I once lived in a horrible basement once where both the ceiling and floor were very off-level (and wavy) in different directions. I ended up having to mount the TV at some intermediate non-level angle and then creatively arrange various-height decorations on the furniture under the TV to get anywhere near convincing the eye the TV was level.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Enos Cabell posted:

I guess you are running all your connections to the tv instead of using a receiver?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

xgalaxy posted:

I guess you are running all your connections to the tv instead of using a receiver?

Yeah, figured I'll wait until 8k receivers are cheaper and more plentiful. My only 4k120 source is my pc for now, so I've got pc/shield/uhd bluray connected to TV and hdmi arc to 4k receiver.

Just fired it up!

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Enos Cabell posted:

Yeah, figured I'll wait until 8k receivers are cheaper and more plentiful. My only 4k120 source is my pc for now, so I've got pc/shield/uhd bluray connected to TV and hdmi arc to 4k receiver.

Just fired it up!

Now fix that baseboard.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Forget the lack of baseboard, move the tv down a good cock length at least

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Eighteen inches seems extreme, but sadly I think you're not wrong. Gonna have to wait until I have someone other than my wife to help, but yeah it should probably come down about 6"

And baseboards are definitely next on the ever growing list

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Enos Cabell posted:

Eighteen inches seems extreme

Mods? We need a new thread title.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Mister Facetious posted:

Mods? We need a new thread title.

Second

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Enos Cabell posted:

Eighteen inches seems extreme,

https://media.giphy.com/media/3ov9jDAWQvcRWmujCg/giphy.mp4

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
I post a few weeks ago looking for new 4K TV that takes advantage of the PS5. Upped my budget to be 1k for a 55'. Narrowed it down to two models

Sony x85J
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-55-class-x85j-series-led-4k-uhd-smart-google-tv/6454108.p?skuId=6454108
TCL R646
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-55-class-6-series-mini-led-qled-4k-uhd-smart-google-tv/6470273.p?skuId=6470273

TCL 646 is a new model, so there aren't many reviews of it right now. Is there a clear winner when it come to these two models?

Will mostly use the TV to play video games on my PS5 & Switch.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

Palmtree Panic posted:

Sony x85J
TCL R646

I was also thinking about the 55-65 inch version of that sony.

RTings has a review of the sony where they say there are better models for cheaper but i'm sure it's a small difference. I was looking at it because it's one step up from the X80J but it's considerably brighter. I just want to watch movies and TV, rather than any serious gaming.
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x85j

fomo put one up for that TCL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqZglwEIjmU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Enos Cabell posted:

Eighteen inches seems extreme, but sadly I think you're not wrong. Gonna have to wait until I have someone other than my wife to help, but yeah it should probably come down about 6"

And baseboards are definitely next on the ever growing list

I would measure your actual eye level when you're sitting\laying so the middle of the screen hits at about that height. That's the ideal height for sure

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

George H.W. oval office posted:

I would measure your actual eye level when you're sitting\laying so the middle of the screen hits at about that height. That's the ideal height for sure

This is what I did. It looks comically low, but is perfect when using it, which tells me that everyone else had their screens way too high. I treated it like a computer monitor. You want your head level or slightly tilted down.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Biggest pet peeve with TVs is people mounting it gently caress high over their fireplace.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

GreenNight posted:

Biggest pet peeve with TVs is people mounting it gently caress high over their fireplace.

Technically not over the fireplace though

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I want to mount a TV on the ceiling over my bed so I can watch it while lying on my back and also it can fall during the night and kill me

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Internet Explorer posted:

Got it and yeah can confirm, thanks all!

Followup question though:

I've got a five point surround sound setup at my desk, and with the included stand for the 48" C1 it's only about one inch off the desk and there's no good place for the center speaker (which is about 5" high) without occluding part of the screen.

Any good aftermarket stands that would raise it up about five or six inches? It could clamp onto the back of the desk if that's an option (desk is just a "gladiator" workbench). Wall mounting isn't really an option given where the desk is.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Sep 16, 2021

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

RichterIX posted:

I want to mount a TV on the ceiling over my bed so I can watch it while lying on my back and also it can fall during the night and kill me
Get those dumb glasses with mirrors built in and you can pierce your eyeballs when you fall asleep and forget to take them off

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Any good aftermarket stands that would raise it up about five or six inches? It could clamp onto the back of the desk if that's an option (desk is just a "gladiator" workbench). Wall mounting isn't really an option given where the desk is.
Do you want like a pneumatic monitor arm/stand thing for the TV? I just used one if these Ikea extension units.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

RichterIX posted:

This is one of the best use cases for VR headsets IMO.

also lol at the thread title

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

FilthyImp posted:

Do you want like a pneumatic monitor arm/stand thing for the TV?

I guess? I'm honestly not sure. The few monitor arms I googled don't look like they could support the weight / size of the display.

The cheapest thing to do would be to just get some thick boards and cut to fit but that would involve effort.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I guess? I'm honestly not sure. The few monitor arms I googled don't look like they could support the weight / size of the display.

The cheapest thing to do would be to just get some thick boards and cut to fit but that would involve effort.

This one looks like it should work https://www.amazon.com/VIVO-Adjustable-Television-Screens-STAND-V155C/dp/B07GFRP5HT

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I gave up on heavy desk mounted arms like the Fully except for as a secondary laptop mount as the monitor shake when typing was ridiculous. If you had a 2"+ thick very heavy oak table, they'd probably be okay though.

For a TV though, they would work since they are very heavy and stout if you crank the tensioners up but something like above would most likely be way better if you don't need to adjust the angles much.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Sep 16, 2021

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

I thought this was The Answer at first but on inspection the workbench has a metal lip running all along the back underside of the work surface that I think would prevent this clip from attaching unless I figured out how to saw the metal.

Keyser_Soze posted:

I gave up on heavy desk mounted arms like the Fully except for as a secondary laptop mount as the monitor shake when typing was ridiculous. If you had a 2"+ thick very heavy oak table, they'd probably be okay though.

For a TV though, they would work since they are very heavy and stout if you crank the tensioners up but something like above would most likely be way better if you don't need to adjust the angles much.

Yeah it's a 2" thick wood slab with cast steel legs, it's very solid and stable. I mounted a "humanscale" keyboard tray to the underside no problems.

edit: hrm maybe this?

https://www.amazon.com/PERLESMITH-S...tronics&sr=1-13

I'm not sure that the VESA matches up, the c1 oled is "VESA Mounting (W x H) 300 x 200" though. Or wait i guess 75 and 400 are a range

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Sep 16, 2021

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
What's the chance that these new QLED-OLED hybdrids Samsung is advertising for 2022 will be genuinely good TVs instead of just a gimmick? It's really hard to find any good reading on them that aren't just superficial puff pieces. I'm sure there are people out there who understand TV technology and can offer real opinions on whether the idea has any merit.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Let me try and think of something from Samsung outside the EVO SSDs thats any good or competitive value wise...nope.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I liked their wireless earbuds for a while

By a “while” I mean a week before the Bluetooth on them completely failed and they charged me money to return them

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

jokes posted:

I liked their wireless earbuds for a while

By a “while” I mean a week before the Bluetooth on them completely failed and they charged me money to return them

I'm on my third set of Buds+ that came free with my phone a few years ago. When they work they're great, they just don't often work. I like my phone though!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Megasabin posted:

What's the chance that these new QLED-OLED hybdrids Samsung is advertising for 2022 will be genuinely good TVs instead of just a gimmick? It's really hard to find any good reading on them that aren't just superficial puff pieces. I'm sure there are people out there who understand TV technology and can offer real opinions on whether the idea has any merit.

People who know what they're talking about are waiting to test them before telling us anything because otherwise you have to go on what Samsung says.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

codo27 posted:

Let me try and think of something from Samsung outside the EVO SSDs thats any good or competitive value wise...nope.

Do tanks count?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

RichterIX posted:

This is what a cheap projector is for. If you have a relatively flat ceiling you can just go full lazy mode, if not you can mount a lightweight panel or even just stretch a sheet out as a screen.

Megasabin posted:

As noted we obviously won't know anything for sure until independent reviewers have had a chance to objectively test them.

That said there are some safe bets to be made. Quantum dot technology does the same thing for OLED and potentially in the future MicroLED that it does for LCDs. If it works it should definitely allow for brighter and more vibrant colors, which will mean reduced wear on the OLED emitters and more even wear because they no longer need three different kinds of subpixels.

We can also probably safely assume that the software side will be the same stuff Samsung has been doing for years and thus no one who doesn't like Samsung TVs now is likely to change their mind.

Either way just like with LCD TVs once someone manages to mass produce QD OLEDs they'll all be doing it within a few years.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Sep 17, 2021

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

wolrah posted:

That said there are some safe bets to be made. Quantum dot technology does the same thing for OLED and potentially in the future MicroLED that it does for LCDs. If it works it should definitely allow for brighter and more vibrant colors, which will mean reduced wear on the OLED emitters and more even wear because they no longer need three different kinds of subpixels.

To be clear, even today there aren't 3 different types of subpixels. They are all white leds with color filters in front of them. What changes is that these then become blue LEDs that excite the quantum dot material and that material emits the actual light rather than it being filtered.

That SHOULD allow the LEDs to be driven less hard, but it doesn't necessarily follow that all colors are going to be equally efficient at emissions so it's currently an unknown if colors could still age at different rates. That's one of the issues with the current tech, the red filters attenuate the light output more than blue and green and thus that subpixel has to be driven harder. LG later made the red subpixel larger to help compensate.

So, we just don't know if given the same intensity LED input, all three quantum dot colors will emit at the same intensity. We also don't know if any emission intensity gained is going to translate into lower wear of the LEDs or if that efficiency is just going to be used to high higher peak brightness.

It's going to be good to have another player in the field, but we also know how Samsung prices products. I'm really skeptical that the gains by these displays are going to outweigh the price premium that they are likely to charge over LG's OLEDs. Keep in mind that Samsung is also buying LG panels for TVs so there's going to be a whole different product tier here. I expect them to have their QLED product priced slightly below LG's OLEDs, then LG sourced OLED panels in a product at a slight premium to LG, then the QD-OLED products hitting a massive price premium at the top end (probably in only the largest sizes to increase the value proposition.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

What do people mean when they talk about the hypothetical “dark room” where OLED carries the biggest advantage? Does it refer to total darkness with all the lights off? Do people watch movies or play games like that? I’ve always watched movies in a room with a soft light source that would make it just light enough to read a book (though you wouldn’t want to). Is that amount of light effectively leveling the playing field between OLED and LED blacks? I already know I can’t tell any difference between those technologies in a bright room (i.e. Best Buy).