Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Shardix posted:

Did the MMO or videogames ever go into what the machines do when they're not doing their job? I know the Keymaker and Rama-Kandra mention that programs without a purpose are deleted, but no mention on whether they get time off to pursue hobbies or if they traded slavery to mankind for slavery to whatever is running all of this.

I think the Machines did have their leaders which they were freed from by the end of the MMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
“The important thing about making a sequel in a major movie franchise is preserving the canon set by a C-Tier MMO from 2005.”

Gamers. :rolleyes:

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Zesty posted:

“The important thing about making a sequel in a major movie franchise is preserving the canon set by a C-Tier MMO from 2005.”

How dare you? Are you going to poo poo talk this?

It's at least a solid C+, please.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
Why did buckethead kill morpheus?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Zesty posted:

I don't think anyone's said that seriously, it would just be funny is all.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

metachronos posted:

Morpheus talked poo poo about 'Jordan'.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

metachronos posted:

They wanted the MMO to matter in helping build the overall Matrix world. It’s dramatic and sets up part of the plot for players to want to keep playing. I wouldn’t have been surprised if he was never truly dead but the game didn’t last long enough to find out.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Who was the masked guy that shot him?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Who was the masked guy that shot him?

https://www.ign.com/articles/2005/05/27/the-matrix-online-kills-morpheus

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Over a week-long period, The Matrix Online told the story of Morpheus's attempts to recover Neo's body from the Machines. When the Machines refused to return Neo's remains, Morpheus began a rampage through the MegaCity, detonating code-bombs strong enough to threaten the Matrix itself. The Machines responded by sending the Assassin after Morpheus. The Assassin succeeded: Morpheus was killed.

Lol Morpheus just started playing GTA until he got wasted

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Matrix Online did good at trying to do something interesting in the MMO space especially as it was starting to get bigger and bigger.

They should do a new Matrix Online. Or bring the old one back. Whichever.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
MO was kinda interesting in how they had to expand on the renegade programs in order to have enough factions for you to play, and make it possible for people to hack the Matrix in real time, from inside the Matrix, so that they could have a Wizard class.

I also remember that you could punt kick someone in the crotch from behind, and this was an entire skill path you could train up.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
A new Matrix game would be a uniquely great fit for VR.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The unstated but implicit point of Matrix 1 is that humans have no use at all. While the machines are extremely efficient, they can't get power from thin air. It's outright stated that their actual power needs are met with fusion reactors.

So Morpheus is lying, or at least being extremely misleading, when he says that humans are being used as a power source. Smith is telling the truth: the matrix is actually a zoo for preserving the extinct humanity.

Wait, seriously? When is it stated that they're using fusion reactors?

Yea, if that's the case then there's literally no point in having humans around anymore, unless they need to use our brain for processing power or need to maintain some form of conscious organic life.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It's in the first movie. Morpheus says that human beings generate bioelectricity and heat which, combined with a form of fusion, provides all the energy they'll ever need. Of course, that makes no sense.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

Wait, seriously? When is it stated that they're using fusion reactors?

Yea, if that's the case then there's literally no point in having humans around anymore, unless they need to use our brain for processing power or need to maintain some form of conscious organic life.

I've heard producers made them change "processing power" to "batteries" because audiences wouldn't understand computers.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

It's in the first movie. Morpheus says that human beings generate bioelectricity and heat which, combined with a form of fusion, provides all the energy they'll ever need. Of course, that makes no sense.

Don’t think too hard about any of this, people just need to accept it as a plot point and enjoy the action movie. Nerds that obsess over these things wreck every franchise ever.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
If you were talking about, say, some technobabble about the deflector dish in an episode of Star Trek, I'd agree with you. But that's pretty silly advice for a movie where the hero hides his hacking software in a copy of Simulacra and Simulation, which his mentor then quotes.

It's very obvious that the humans do not entirely understand the Machines' reasons for creating and maintaining the Matrix, and might be totally off-base.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
When Neo challenges The Architect about his threat to end all human life, he says "there are levels of survival we're willing to accept", which seems to indicate that the power generated from humans is some sort of luxury thing that isn't totally necessary to the survival of the Machines.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

ThePopeOfFun posted:

I've heard producers made them change "processing power" to "batteries" because audiences wouldn't understand computers.

And even 20+ years later, they weren't wrong.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

When Neo challenges The Architect about his threat to end all human life, he says "there are levels of survival we're willing to accept", which seems to indicate that the power generated from humans is some sort of luxury thing that isn't totally necessary to the survival of the Machines.
At the time, I was already mentally replacing "humans are batteries" with "humans are a server network." So I imagined that killing all the humans would reduce the Machines to a kind of extreme poverty that we can't imagine, where they'd actually have to endure a diminishing of their sense of self.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Maybe the machines are just dumb and don’t understand thermodynamics or energy production. Ever thought of that, huh?

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
You can kind of rationalize it if you want. One of the current issues with fusion is that while we can generate a fusion reaction, it costs more energy to start it then it outputs. So the machines use human heat as that energy input. All they have to do is feed the living humans dead humans and follow the circle of life. Of course, the math probably doesn't work out at all and humans are kind of needy as far as food/water go.

But really there's no reason to think humans do understand it all when they don't even realize there have been 5 other matrix/zion worlds in the past.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Obviously, fusion just works in the real world like that

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
HPMOR and Yudkowsky are both poo poo but that bit is probably the best take on this dumb plot point:

quote:

MORPHEUS: For the longest time, I wouldn't believe it. But then I saw the fields with my own eyes, watched them liquefy the dead so they could be fed intravenously to the living -

NEO (politely): Excuse me, please.

MORPHEUS: Yes, Neo?

NEO: I've kept quiet for as long as I could, but I feel a certain need to speak up at this point. The human body is the most inefficient source of energy you could possibly imagine. The efficiency of a power plant at converting thermal energy into electricity decreases as you run the turbines at lower temperatures. If you had any sort of food humans could eat, it would be more efficient to burn it in a furnace than feed it to humans. And now you're telling me that their food is the bodies of the dead, fed to the living? Haven't you ever heard of the laws of thermodynamics?

MORPHEUS: Where did you hear about the laws of thermodynamics, Neo?

NEO: Anyone who's made it past one science class in high school ought to know about the laws of thermodynamics!

MORPHEUS: Where did you go to high school, Neo?

(Pause.)

NEO: ...in the Matrix.

MORPHEUS: The machines tell elegant lies.

(Pause.)

NEO (in a small voice): Could I please have a real physics textbook?

MORPHEUS: There is no such thing, Neo. The universe doesn't run on math.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Lmao, that rules and raises insane questions about how real physics works

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Cinema Discusso > The Matrix Thread: NEO (in a small voice): Could I please have a real physics textbook?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
That kind of helps me with my pet theory that everyone who escaped the matrix was actually still inside the matrix. It explains why Neo has extra powers outside of the matrix and why you can leave behind 23 individuals and have enough genetic diversity to keep the species alive.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Do any of the movies or games explain how reproduction works?

Like are people actually procreating with their partners in the Matrix - are the machines artificially inseminating the women to correspond with the men they're virtually loving? Or are the partners and children of people in the Matrix just AI? In which case are new humans just being grown somewhere?

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Zesty posted:

It’s not gamers. The Wackowskis are the ones who laid down the canon rules back in the early 00s. They said everything is canon and seem to be honoring that so far

I hope the movie does a flashback to show multiple viewpoints of how Morpheus died in a back alley shootout like how last Jedi showed the fall of Luke’s Jedi academy

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

stev posted:

Do any of the movies or games explain how reproduction works?

Like are people actually procreating with their partners in the Matrix - are the machines artificially inseminating the women to correspond with the men they're virtually loving? Or are the partners and children of people in the Matrix just AI? In which case are new humans just being grown somewhere?

It was in the first movie. Humans are grown without incubating in an actual person. Probably with DNA taken from both parties.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Freakazoid_ posted:

That kind of helps me with my pet theory that everyone who escaped the matrix was actually still inside the matrix. It explains why Neo has extra powers outside of the matrix and why you can leave behind 23 individuals and have enough genetic diversity to keep the species alive.
I feel like the "they're still in the matrix" or "there's just another bigger matrix once you get out of the first one" thing has become like the Lost "the Island is actually the afterlife" fan theory. People decided on it decades ago and by god they will stick to their guns on it, even disregarding the actual ending of the show!

Narratively it would completely suck. It only serves as an excuse to repeat the same process over and over like having another bigger-badder-strongest-guy-ever showing up every few days in Dragonball Z.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Cartoon Man posted:

Don’t think too hard about any of this, people just need to accept it as a plot point and enjoy the action movie. Nerds that obsess over these things wreck every franchise ever.

Morpheus is not an educated person. He’s a low level grunt in the Zion army he’s literally articulating what he put together from others explaining to him.

It’s the equivalent of a McDonald’s cashier explaining to someone from
The 1800s how iPhones are manufactured.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Zesty posted:

It was in the first movie. Humans are grown without incubating in an actual person. Probably with DNA taken from both parties.

Right but like, does the simulation know who has virtually gotten together with who? Is some poor AI keeping track of every couple and every one night stand and making sure to simulate pregnancy and grow a human from their DNA at the appropriate time?

This poo poo kept me up at night in the 2000s.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Noob Saibot posted:

Morpheus is not an educated person. He’s a low level grunt in the Zion army he’s literally articulating what he put together from others explaining to him.

It’s the equivalent of a McDonald’s cashier explaining to someone from
The 1800s how iPhones are manufactured.

What a weirdly specific comparison that makes zero sense given how well respected and highly regarded Morpheus is throughout Zion as both a leader and prophet.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

stev posted:

Right but like, does the simulation know who has virtually gotten together with who? Is some poor AI keeping track of every couple and every one night stand and making sure to simulate pregnancy and grow a human from their DNA at the appropriate time?

This poo poo kept me up at night in the 2000s.

Yeah, this is the biggest wrench in the gears of the whole "humans aren't born, they're grown" aspect, bigger IMO than "people are batteries." Seems like a lot of work to keep track of who's loving who.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
I read through the MMO lore. Is the entire Matrix that one megacity (+ adjacent mountain range)?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Mister Speaker posted:

Yeah, this is the biggest wrench in the gears of the whole "humans aren't born, they're grown" aspect, bigger IMO than "people are batteries." Seems like a lot of work to keep track of who's loving who.

For the sake of spitballing because this is silly, the AI probably gets a notification ping when an impregnation is successful in the matrix and the farmer bots get an order to begin growing that specific baby using DNA from the two individuals who caused the ping. Then they boot up the baby's battery tube when it's "born" 9 months later inside the simulation.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
A much simpler solution would just be to assign each new baby that's grown to an existing couple. Pregnancy in the Matrix doesn't exist unless it's because a new baby is being inserted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

A much simpler solution would just be to assign each new baby that's grown to an existing couple. Pregnancy in the Matrix doesn't exist unless it's because a new baby is being inserted.

That doesn't explain how a baby would physically look like its parents though, both inside and outside of the matrix.