Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Nomnom Cookie posted:

it’s been a while since I paid attention to tether but has it ever been proven to operate in any way more complex than “you give us money, we give you a token, we spend the money on ourselves”

Yes, they give out orders of magnitude more Tether than they get money for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Yes, they give out orders of magnitude more Tether than they get money for.

makes sense. if holding actual dollars doesn't happen, why should receiving a dollar before issuing a USDT need to happen either. but then why does anyone pay attention to it, sounds like something SAFEMOON level, not a respectable scam you can lose your shorts to without getting laughed at on bitcointalk

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Nomnom Cookie posted:

makes sense. if holding actual dollars doesn't happen, why should receiving a dollar before issuing a USDT need to happen either. but then why does anyone pay attention to it, sounds like something SAFEMOON level, not a respectable scam you can lose your shorts to without getting laughed at on bitcointalk

well when it's backing/propping up one of the major bitcoin exchanges and helping to make number go up, bitcoiners will support anything

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Nomnom Cookie posted:

it’s been a while since I paid attention to tether but has it ever been proven to operate in any way more complex than “you give us money, we give you a token, we spend the money on ourselves”

I'm not sure it's ever been shown that anyone actually gave them money

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
they have an attestation that at one specific point in time they had a very large amount of money in their account. there merely isn't much evidence that they held on to any money for longer than a day.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Plorkyeran posted:

they have an attestation that at one specific point in time they had a very large amount of money in their account. there merely isn't much evidence that they held on to any money for longer than a day.

iirc that's why they're in trouble rn, lying about cash balances to a bank or maybe regulators

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i really hope we find out at some point just how many actual, real dollars tether holds

our crimes - quarterly 2022.xlsx

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Zamujasa posted:

i really hope we find out at some point just how many actual, real dollars tether holds

our crimes - quarterly 2022.xlsx

one would hope it would be calculable by

a - (b - c)

where

a = number of tethers printed
b = crypto "market cap" before tether is annihilated by regulators
c = crypto "market cap" after tether vanishes like a fart in the wind

but I am not dumb enough to ascribe that level of rationality to this market, nor optimistic enough to believe tether will ever actually get what they deserve

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

KnifeWrench posted:

I'm not sure it's ever been shown that anyone actually gave them money

isn't the tl;dr of tether basically
1) we print more tether every time someone gives us real fiat dollars
2) no we will not prove in any way that someone actually gave us the dollars
3) every printed tether is backed by real fiat dollars*

* the dollars can actually be random pieces of paper that we claim are worth as much as dollars

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

that blog by an investor who bought millions of dollars of bitcoin then took a closer look at tether and ran a thousand miles has some interesting bits about what the printed tether is being used for

https://crypto-anonymous-2021.medium.com/?p=f8dcf78a64d3

quote:

Talking to Bob changed my perspective on Tether. I no longer viewed Tether as a source of excessive risk. I now viewed it as a highly probable fraud.

Part of the reason was incentives. The Tether-denominated amounts that Bybit, Binance, and other similar exchanges were giving away to people like Bob seemed inconsistent with the revenue those exchanges could expect to generate from an average user.

To get a sense of the giveaways, I ran an anonymized Google search for “Binance promotion”. This returned as one of its top results a binance.com page that read, in part, “We have a special end-of-the-year promotion where we will offer eligible users a Savings Voucher worth 500 USDT [Tether]!”

print tether, give it away in "promotions" to get it into circulation because nobody is actually buying it, probably getting cents on the dollar from the shady exchanges that buy it from you

Chalks fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Sep 14, 2021

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Chalks posted:

print tether, give it away in "promotions" to get it into circulation because nobody is actually buying it, probably getting cents on the dollar from the shady exchanges that buy it from you

i actually assumed it to be far simpler
1) tether is magicked into existence by tether inc
2) this tether is then given to bitfinex or whatever exchange
3) the exchange uses tether to buy bitcoin to-from its own wallets, propping up the price - since nobody has any insight into the internal trades the exchanges to, then nobody can tell if this wash trading is happening or not

also wasn't there this thing that some exchanges only deal in crypto anyway, so in order to trade there you need to exchange your usd to usdt in order to be able to buy and sell. this means that anyone willing to trade there necessarily has to touch tether or any other accepted "stablecoin" really

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

definitely, if you've printed billions of tethers, a few hundreds given away is sort of ancillary. open market manipulation is much easier when you're both broker, exchange, and de facto central banker for the crypto "economy."

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Chalks posted:

that blog by an investor who bought millions of dollars of bitcoin then took a closer look at tether and ran a thousand miles has some interesting bits about what the printed tether is being used for

see i would have done the second thing before sinking millions of dollars into it, but that's why i'm not an investor i guess

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

Chalks posted:

https://crypto-anonymous-2021.medium.com/?p=f8dcf78a64d3

this seems like the most obvious fraud ever! how are they not getting shut down

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

This "bitcoin" business is getting so ridiculous lately that even the traditionally-obtuse New York Times is running (good!) op-eds about how ridiculous it is

https://twitter.com/BCAppelbaum/status/1437773005430697993

Plorkyeran posted:

They've gotten a few such reports this year, but they're worthless (by design) at answering any of the critical questions. Even if we assume the accounting firm that did them is acting in good faith (which is a not-insignificant assumption, since it's a small shop out of the Caymans), the report is limited in scope and written in such a way that it doesn't prove anything at all to a reasonable standard. Those reports are just the accounting firm saying "they showed us some documents saying they had adequate reserves and those documents do indeed say that, but we didn't investigate the source of the assets or look for any debts they have, and we didn't test the existence or the valuation of those assets either. Also we are going to point out their stated accounting policies so that the observant folks reading this are aware that their accounting policies are weird and nonstandard and allow for big problems in how they're measuring the value of those assets."

Penisface posted:

i actually assumed it to be far simpler
1) tether is magicked into existence by tether inc
2) this tether is then given to bitfinex or whatever exchange
3) the exchange uses tether to buy bitcoin to-from its own wallets, propping up the price - since nobody has any insight into the internal trades the exchanges to, then nobody can tell if this wash trading is happening or not
This is my assumption too, and I became more convinced of this after reading those reserves reports. Those reports are written in a very specific way, which is exactly how I would write them if I was trying not to lie while also desperately trying to avoid making it explicit that I had simply been handing out Tethers to exchanges in return for IOUs.

Penisface posted:

also wasn't there this thing that some exchanges only deal in crypto anyway, so in order to trade there you need to exchange your usd to usdt in order to be able to buy and sell. this means that anyone willing to trade there necessarily has to touch tether or any other accepted "stablecoin" really
Yes, this is most exchanges not named Coinbase or Kraken, because most of them can't even get bank accounts due to their unwillingness to follow know-your-customer and anti-money laundering (KYC/AML) banking regulations. Exchanges like Binance and Bitfinex can't keep USD bank accounts, so they need USDTs in order to facilitate trades on their exchange in "USD". Tether themselves had the same problem (they kept running from bank to bank as each bank they opened accounts with closed them down after the realized what Tether was doing), until they supposedly acquired a controlling interest in a bank in the Bahamas a few years back.

The entire reason for USDT's existence is to evade KYC/AML regulations. The exchanges need Tether because they're frozen out of the traditional banking system and need a wildcat bank to issue them fake-dollars that will let them pretend that they're still doing business in "dollars". This is why folks should be wary of getting drawn into bad-faith arguments over Tether's reserves - it doesn't even matter whether their reserves are good or bad, that's besides the point.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i can't read the actual article because paywall but those tweets sure do make it sound like his biggest complaint is that they're not doing libertarianism correctly, so i'm not sure i agree with you on the whole "good op-ed" bit

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

a.p. dent posted:

this seems like the most obvious fraud ever! how are they not getting shut down

White-collar criminal prosecutions move at a snail's pace, if they even move at all, unless people actually get hit in the wallet - and big numbers of people aren't actually going to get hit in the wallet until the scheme implodes.

Jurisdiction over USDT/Tether is fuzzy: they claim they operate outside of the United States and don't have any American customers. (Which is a lie, and New York State went after them because they did business in NY - but they have less power than the feds and found it easier to settle with Tether after Tether agreed not to touch New York citizens ever.) Cryptocurrencies and related tokens are still somewhat new and there's been a lot of ink and pixels spilled by people trying to declare that they're not commodities or securities and thus the feds should leave them alone. (Which is bullshit in Tether's case, I think it's substantively a digital bearer bond being publicly traded on unregistered exchanges). So the SEC or CFTC or any other agency is gonna have to put some effort into arguing that these are in their purview, and mustering up that effort is a slow process in normal times unless someone's been seriously hurt already. Also, these aren't normal times - we're fresh off a 4-year run where the federal government was run by the type of people who are more likely to run their own crypto scam than to push the money-cops to put the brakes on crypto scams.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
that all makes sense, thanks for the info

a friend was trying to convince me that jp morgan is doing "really interesting stuff" with blockchain tech, so i went to check it out. maybe already posted in this thread but wow, this is incredibly stupid even by bitcoin standards https://www.reuters.com/article/us-jpmorgan-blockchain-space-idUSKBN2AO1GL

quote:

JPMorgan Chase & Co has recently tested blockchain payments between satellites orbiting the earth, executives at the bank told Reuters, showing that digital devices could use the technology behind virtual currencies for transactions.

The so-called Internet of Things (IoT), where devices connect to one another, is most associated with consumer electronics, including smart speakers like Amazon Echo and Google Home, and banks want to be ready to process payments when these smart devices start doing transactions autonomously.Umar Farooq, the CEO of JPMorgan’s blockchain business Onyx, thought space was a cool place to try it out.

“The idea was to explore IoT payments in a fully decentralised way,” Farooq said. “Nowhere is more decentralised and detached from earth than space.”

“Secondly we are nerdy and it was a much more fun way to test IoT,” he said.

totally, man. that's what "decentralised" means - far away spatially. maybe we could make things even MORE decentralized by doing payments to mars

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

uggggg i'd gone months without hearing about or thinking of the
                        I
                    N
                T              N
                    E      I      G
        O              *              S
            F      H      R
                T              N
                            E
                        T

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Shame Boy posted:

i can't read the actual article because paywall but those tweets sure do make it sound like his biggest complaint is that they're not doing libertarianism correctly, so i'm not sure i agree with you on the whole "good op-ed" bit

For what it's worth, the article came right up for me and I'm definitely not a NYT subscriber, maybe try the private window trick? That said, you probably don't need to read the whole thing, it's probably not going to tell you anything new. (But maybe you should before declaring that I'm wrong and actually it's bad?)

I just reread it and if he is one of those libertarians, then I think that's mostly incidental to his post, which is just a decent summary of some of the reasons why bitcoin is stupid. I don't think it covers much new territory for regular readers of this thread, but IMO it is good that a "bitcoin is stupid and not the answer to anything" message is getting out to the lame-o NYT subscribers who haven't already read divabot's compendium of anti-bitcoin forums posts

e: personally I think his "cosplay libertarians" line is good because bitcoin is so fantastically stupid that it doesn't actually solve any of the (fake) problems that libertarians obsess over, but so many "libertarians" love it anyway because it has the same appeal to the gently caress-you-got-mine mindset
e2: added the middle quote, which I think suggests this dude is probably not the typical brain-diseased libertarian

NYT posted:

Bitcoin, for the uninitiated, is a technology that purports to solve a host of problems with old-fashioned national currencies. It is designed to safeguard wealth against the depredations of inflation, public authorities and financial intermediaries.

Unfortunately, it doesn’t work. Some products become popular because they’re useful. Bitcoin is popular despite being mostly useless. Its success rests on the simple fact that the value of a Bitcoin has increased dramatically since its introduction in 2009, making some people rich and inspiring others to hope they can ride the rocket, too.

It’s not really a virtual currency at all. It’s virtual gold, a vehicle for speculative investment made possible by some interesting technical innovations. It’s the absurd apotheosis of our financialized economy, an asset unmoored from any productive purpose. In the beginning were bonds and then synthetic bonds and then Bitcoin.

NYT posted:

The rigidity of Bitcoin’s design also makes it dangerously impractical as a replacement for national currencies. It is part of a long tradition of trying to prevent politicians from making bad economic policy decisions by preventing them from making any decisions. The gold standard is an older example of this disastrous concept.

NYT posted:

But until this month, I wasn’t all that worried about Bitcoin. The current frenzy is sometimes compared to other famous bubbles, like the Dutch tulip craze of the 17th century. One key commonality is that both involve a relatively small group of investors with money to burn. Most Dutch didn’t buy tulips; most Americans don’t own Bitcoin.

If politicians start taking Bitcoin seriously, however, that would be reason for greater concern. It is a pleasant illusion that the problems in the financial system can be solved by replacing it rather than doing the hard work of fixing it. That kind of escapism makes for entertaining chatter on the internet. National leaders really should know better.

Blotto_Otter fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Sep 14, 2021

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Blotto_Otter posted:

I just reread it and if he is one of those libertarians, then I think that's mostly incidental to his post, which is just a decent summary of some of the reasons why bitcoin is stupid. I don't think it covers much new territory for regular readers of this thread, but IMO it is good that a "bitcoin is stupid and not the answer to anything" message is getting out to the lame-o NYT subscribers who haven't already read divabot's compendium of anti-bitcoin forums posts

That was my takeaway as well. We've heard it all before, but a lot of people haven't, and this is going to reach some of them.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

step 1: make a currency so that satellites can send money to each other
step 2: make intelligent satellites that need to send money to each other

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

my satellite lost all its money in a ponzi scheme, it can't do anything any more

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Blotto_Otter posted:

For what it's worth, the article came right up for me and I'm definitely not a NYT subscriber, maybe try the private window trick? That said, you probably don't need to read the whole thing, it's probably not going to tell you anything new. (But maybe you should before declaring that I'm wrong and actually it's bad?)

i wasn't really declaring you were wrong, just that it seemed real suspect. sorry if it came off hostile or something, i didn't mean anything like that :shobon:

with the context you provided it seems a lot less suspect fwiw

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

a.p. dent posted:

JPMorgan Chase & Co has recently tested blockchain payments between satellites orbiting the earth, executives at the bank told Reuters, showing that digital devices could use the technology behind virtual currencies for transactions

i really like that the takeaway from "they made satellites use bitcoin" is apparently "digital devices could use it"

finally, i can get rid of my analog bitcoin wallet

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

before i even read the rest of the article, i thought "i bet they just bought a tiny slice of time on a timesharing satellite, ran a single transaction and then started on the press release" and

quote:

To run the space experiment, the bank’s blockchain team did not send its own satellites into space, but worked with Danish company GOMspace, which allows third parties to run software on its satellites.

yyyep

e: lmao god there's so much good poo poo in that article

quote:

Back on earth, examples of IoT payments that could become a reality sooner include a smart fridge ordering and paying for milk on an ecommerce site, or a self-driving car paying for gas Farooq said.

y'know you can get a fridge that does that right now if you're that much of an idiot. that's a thing you can go out and buy, and it doesn't even need a blockchain!

quote:

Blockchain, which first emerged as the software underpinning cryptocurrencies, is a shared digital ledger of transactions. Financial companies have invested millions of dollars to find uses for the technology hoping it can reduce costs and simplify more complex IT processes, such as securities settlement or international payments.

But so far, blockchain has yet to have widespread impact in financial services.

we've invested millions of dollars trying to find a nail in need of this hammer but as of now all we have are screws. we're really hopeful that we might find a single actual use some time in the next decade with more investment.

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Sep 14, 2021

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

quote:

JPMorgan has been one of the most active banks in blockchain, announcing it had created its own distributed ledger called Quorum in 2016, which was sold to blockchain company Consensys last year. The bank also developed a digital coin called JPM Coin and in 2020 created Onyx.

Onyx has more than 100 employees and its blockchain applications are close to generating revenues for the bank, it said.

so close to generating revenue! look we just need a few more tens of millions of dollars and we'll be able to find that golden egg-laying goose, we swear!

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
to be fair running a buttcoin on a satellite is as close to the moon as it'll ever get

drk
Jan 16, 2005
my wallet wont work without a clear view of the southern horizon and a phased antenna array

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

quote:

The Solana blockchain has come to a halt due to a bug, and last txn was an hour ago. After the bug, team shut the network down themselves. 100% centralised

https://solscan.io/txs

It's even called SOL.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Zamujasa posted:

to be fair running a buttcoin on a satellite is as close to the moon as it'll ever get

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

KnifeWrench posted:

one would hope it would be calculable by

a - (b - c)

where

a = number of tethers printed
b = crypto "market cap" before tether is annihilated by regulators
c = crypto "market cap" after tether vanishes like a fart in the wind

but I am not dumb enough to ascribe that level of rationality to this market, nor optimistic enough to believe tether will ever actually get what they deserve

let me make a small prediction. if tether goes down (big if), the price of bitcoin will actually rise, because it will be so much harder to buy (until the next stablescam steps in anyway). remember, everything is good for bitcoin!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

gschmidl posted:

It's even called SOL.

the sound I made is called a lol

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Blotto_Otter posted:

This "bitcoin" business is getting so ridiculous lately that even the traditionally-obtuse New York Times is running (good!) op-eds about how ridiculous it is

https://twitter.com/BCAppelbaum/status/1437773005430697993

They've gotten a few such reports this year, but they're worthless (by design) at answering any of the critical questions. Even if we assume the accounting firm that did them is acting in good faith (which is a not-insignificant assumption, since it's a small shop out of the Caymans), the report is limited in scope and written in such a way that it doesn't prove anything at all to a reasonable standard. Those reports are just the accounting firm saying "they showed us some documents saying they had adequate reserves and those documents do indeed say that, but we didn't investigate the source of the assets or look for any debts they have, and we didn't test the existence or the valuation of those assets either. Also we are going to point out their stated accounting policies so that the observant folks reading this are aware that their accounting policies are weird and nonstandard and allow for big problems in how they're measuring the value of those assets."

This is my assumption too, and I became more convinced of this after reading those reserves reports. Those reports are written in a very specific way, which is exactly how I would write them if I was trying not to lie while also desperately trying to avoid making it explicit that I had simply been handing out Tethers to exchanges in return for IOUs.

Yes, this is most exchanges not named Coinbase or Kraken, because most of them can't even get bank accounts due to their unwillingness to follow know-your-customer and anti-money laundering (KYC/AML) banking regulations. Exchanges like Binance and Bitfinex can't keep USD bank accounts, so they need USDTs in order to facilitate trades on their exchange in "USD". Tether themselves had the same problem (they kept running from bank to bank as each bank they opened accounts with closed them down after the realized what Tether was doing), until they supposedly acquired a controlling interest in a bank in the Bahamas a few years back.

The entire reason for USDT's existence is to evade KYC/AML regulations. The exchanges need Tether because they're frozen out of the traditional banking system and need a wildcat bank to issue them fake-dollars that will let them pretend that they're still doing business in "dollars". This is why folks should be wary of getting drawn into bad-faith arguments over Tether's reserves - it doesn't even matter whether their reserves are good or bad, that's besides the point.

From wiki:

While, according to its 2021 settlement with the New York Attorney General Letitia James, "Tether represents to users that any holder of tethers can redeem them from Tether the company at the rate of one tether for one U.S. dollar,"[5] Tether Limited as of 2017 stated that owners of tethers have no contractual right, other legal claims, or guarantee that tethers will or can be redeemed or exchanged for dollars.[6]

Lol

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Blotto_Otter posted:

White-collar criminal prosecutions move at a snail's pace, if they even move at all, unless people actually get hit in the wallet - and big numbers of people aren't actually going to get hit in the wallet until the scheme implodes.

Jurisdiction over USDT/Tether is fuzzy: they claim they operate outside of the United States and don't have any American customers. (Which is a lie, and New York State went after them because they did business in NY - but they have less power than the feds and found it easier to settle with Tether after Tether agreed not to touch New York citizens ever.) Cryptocurrencies and related tokens are still somewhat new and there's been a lot of ink and pixels spilled by people trying to declare that they're not commodities or securities and thus the feds should leave them alone. (Which is bullshit in Tether's case, I think it's substantively a digital bearer bond being publicly traded on unregistered exchanges). So the SEC or CFTC or any other agency is gonna have to put some effort into arguing that these are in their purview, and mustering up that effort is a slow process in normal times unless someone's been seriously hurt already. Also, these aren't normal times - we're fresh off a 4-year run where the federal government was run by the type of people who are more likely to run their own crypto scam than to push the money-cops to put the brakes on crypto scams.

Also when it comes to federal prosecutions they have a relatively large budget, and contract out doc review to a pretty sizable team of contractors. Personally familiar with prosecutions where doc review itself took like 2 yrs by itself or more

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Shame Boy posted:

so close to generating revenue! look we just need a few more tens of millions of dollars and we'll be able to find that golden egg-laying goose, we swear!

and that's revenue. they're not even bringing in any money, much less a number greater than it takes to bring in, let alone enough to pay off the investment in a timely manner.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Shageletic posted:

Also when it comes to federal prosecutions they have a relatively large budget, and contract out doc review to a pretty sizable team of contractors. Personally familiar with prosecutions where doc review itself took like 2 yrs by itself or more
to paraphrase Ken White
the wheels of justice grind slowly, but they do grind

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

reminder that Theranos was founded in 2003, was exposed as fraud in 2015, and only now in 2021 is going to trial. and people were questioning the "tech" behind Theranos from the start.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

kw0134 posted:

reminder that Theranos was founded in 2003, was exposed as fraud in 2015, and only now in 2021 is going to trial. and people were questioning the "tech" behind Theranos from the start.

I actually interviewed there in 2012, got an incredibly weird vibe, and totally forgot about it until, like, halfway through the meltdown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

kw0134 posted:

Personally surprised this wasn't settled before trial.