Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The first games to deal with this idea were the Braunsteins, by a guy named David Wesley who was into the miniature wargaming crowd. The first one was called Braunstein because that's where it was set, a village in the Napoleonic Wars, and the idea was everyone had a single unit with some specific goal- like, a spy sent to poison the water supply, or a scout reconning forces, etc. The rules were kinda incomplete so the players improvised a lot, and the next time he ran this Wesley tried to codify things more but people didn't like that as much, so in future iterations he sorta played with how detailed the rules were and how much the players could improv, etc. He also did like different settings and such. All of this was in the late sixties in the Twin Cities area, near where Gygax and Arneson were and I know that at least one of them played in these.

D&D was the first *commercially published* role playing game, taking the idea of the Braunsteins and mixing it with the medieval/fantasy rules Gygax and Arneson had made for Chainmail, and coming up with the dungeon-crawl structure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Nenonen posted:

Ah, dozens of new posts, must be an update!

Oh... it's alignment chat. :geno:

My secret confession is that I love alignment chat, not because it ever goes well but because if it goes on long enough it always reveals some bizarre personal ideas someone has about morality

Are brothels chaotic neutral? Would they be lawful evil in Nevada? Is over-tipping a bad waiter chaotic or lawful? Is stealing Hitler's wallet neutral evil or chaotic good?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Wolfsheim posted:

Are brothels chaotic neutral? Would they be lawful evil in Nevada? Is over-tipping a bad waiter chaotic or lawful? Is stealing Hitler's wallet neutral evil or chaotic good?

Depends.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
A deep dive into the roots of table top roleplaying games that just doesn't go GYGAX would be incredibly interesting.

I'd imagine it's just a continuing evolution of things. Board games are literally ancient history. Spinning a narrative into a board game is hardly unheard of. Like, Chess technically has a narrative backdrop of a war between two nations, with the pieces powers proverbially symbolic of what they would mean to that nation. Like, the Queen is the most powerfully due to political maneuvering or some other historic explanation, least what I gather from wikipedia.

Like, the succession of Chess > Wargaming > Chainmail > D&D is pretty clear. No one makes up anything entirely out of nothing.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

oobey posted:

Is this a reference? It feels like a reference. Mind if I ask what it is?

It's a boss in final fantasy 14, the VA has some good lines when the boss uses certain moves and it's very hammy and fun

YOUR PRESENCE ONLY DEEPENS MY SOLITUDE

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Maxwell Lord posted:

The first games to deal with this idea were the Braunsteins, by a guy named David Wesley who was into the miniature wargaming crowd. The first one was called Braunstein because that's where it was set, a village in the Napoleonic Wars, and the idea was everyone had a single unit with some specific goal- like, a spy sent to poison the water supply, or a scout reconning forces, etc. The rules were kinda incomplete so the players improvised a lot, and the next time he ran this Wesley tried to codify things more but people didn't like that as much, so in future iterations he sorta played with how detailed the rules were and how much the players could improv, etc. He also did like different settings and such. All of this was in the late sixties in the Twin Cities area, near where Gygax and Arneson were and I know that at least one of them played in these.

D&D was the first *commercially published* role playing game, taking the idea of the Braunsteins and mixing it with the medieval/fantasy rules Gygax and Arneson had made for Chainmail, and coming up with the dungeon-crawl structure.

drat that sounds really cool

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

NameHurtBrain posted:

A deep dive into the roots of table top roleplaying games that just doesn't go GYGAX would be incredibly interesting.

I'd imagine it's just a continuing evolution of things. Board games are literally ancient history. Spinning a narrative into a board game is hardly unheard of. Like, Chess technically has a narrative backdrop of a war between two nations, with the pieces powers proverbially symbolic of what they would mean to that nation. Like, the Queen is the most powerfully due to political maneuvering or some other historic explanation, least what I gather from wikipedia.

Like, the succession of Chess > Wargaming > Chainmail > D&D is pretty clear. No one makes up anything entirely out of nothing.

I forget most of my chess history, but I remember that the queen was originally the vizier and it was a pretty overt statement on who actually runs a country and its military.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Shugojin posted:

It's a boss in final fantasy 14, the VA has some good lines when the boss uses certain moves and it's very hammy and fun

YOUR PRESENCE ONLY DEEPENS MY SOLITUDE

Ah, neat. Thanks!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I forget most of my chess history, but I remember that the queen was originally the vizier and it was a pretty overt statement on who actually runs a country and its military.

The Vizier wasn't nearly as strong a piece as the modern Queen, however.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Bongo Bill posted:

The Vizier wasn't nearly as strong a piece as the modern Queen, however.

At some point the game was modified by a king who was horny for a harem full of trans concubines.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

As I understand it the queen being powerful is a relatively modern idea - the modern version once being a variant known as Mad Queen Chess, which caught on just because it was more fun. The original queen had the same movement rules as the king.

There's political meaning behind chess but it got so ossified as a game that most of the rules are more like gameplay patches. Such as pawns being able to move two spaces on the first move, which is just to allow you to get through the setup phase more quickly (and the En Passant rule is a straight up rule patch to cover cases where the double-move would actually materially change the tactics).

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Gynovore posted:

Exactly. Wargames existed, but having only one person and having it be "you" was a completely new idea.

That isn't the whole system, though. I literally said he was the first to make a TTRPG... but he didn't invent the entire game out of wholecloth. Stats, grids, miniatures... they all existed already.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Cup Runneth Over posted:

That isn't the whole system, though. I literally said he was the first to make a TTRPG... but he didn't invent the entire game out of wholecloth. Stats, grids, miniatures... they all existed already.

I mean yeah but nothing is really invented out of whole cloth? Almost everything is just some kind of refinement or building on what came before with a new twist.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Yeah ok. I suppose you could say he made up the roleplaying bit, although one could also say that the Athenians invented that a few thousand years ago.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Nenonen posted:

Ah, dozens of new posts, must be an update!

Oh... it's alignment chat. :geno:

I enjoyed alignment chat this time around. :)

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Zore posted:

I mean yeah but nothing is really invented out of whole cloth? Almost everything is just some kind of refinement or building on what came before with a new twist.

Well then maybe you shouldn't claim people invented entire genres out of nothing :)

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Well, now i've remembered that the Dragonlance Adventures 1st edition AD&D sourcebook had a whole thing for alignment changes

I don't remember anything beyond that chart existing though

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

NameHurtBrain posted:

I've always had an interest in this sort of thing, just seeing where and when certain ideas originated and what they were originally used for, how certain ideas evolved over time and what was just flat out dropped along the way.

Some parts of 1st Edition are so different it borders on surreal; there was no distinction between class or race, unless you were human in which case you could be all of either fighter, mage or thief. Also they were just straight-up ripping off names from LotR until the Tolken estate caught wind and told them to knock it the gently caress off.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Some parts of 1st Edition are so different it borders on surreal; there was no distinction between class or race, unless you were human in which case you could be all of either fighter, mage or thief.

This makes perfect sense from a wargaming perspective tbh. To our modern knowledge of D&D it's strange, but in wargames you usually have different types of units of the "Race Class" template, like Ork Blasta or w/e

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

a kitten posted:

Well, now i've remembered that the Dragonlance Adventures 1st edition AD&D sourcebook had a whole thing for alignment changes

“DMs should use this chart to keep track of each player character’s alignment…” kill me now

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Nenonen posted:

At some point the game was modified by a king who was horny for a harem full of trans concubines.
But enough about D&D 5E.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

a kitten posted:

lmao a character cannot be moderately good or evil, you must either be a baby eater, a saint, or somewhere exactly between those two. If your character is just kind of a dick or inconsistently charitable, there will be penalties.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Worth noting that alignment was a big deal in Dragonlance, to the point where its treated more like some kind of physical law than an abstract concept. Just as an example, there's an order of wizards that's color-coded based on how good (white), evil (black) or neutral (red?) they are.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
I'm incredibly bright red, just the most annoying wishy washy motherfucker there is.

I could both-sides a sunrise. False equivalency? Not false when I'm around. People call me Malcolm because I'm never not in the drat middle.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Yeah but there aren’t any pink wizards. You’re one of the three.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Worth noting that alignment was a big deal in Dragonlance, to the point where its treated more like some kind of physical law than an abstract concept. Just as an example, there's an order of wizards that's color-coded based on how good (white), evil (black) or neutral (red?) they are.

The Wizarding Orders in Dragonlance were divided according to alignment to reflect the alignment of their patron deities (in Krynn there's three moon god's who are each a god of arcane magic and represent a different part of the alignment spectrum); White Robes (good aligned, their god is Solinari), Red Robes (neutral aligned, Lunitari), Black Robes (evil aligned, or as they prefer to say, 'lacking moral restraint' and not evil per se, their god is Nuitari).

They're basically like the Hogwarts Houses but instead of a sorting hat its a lethal test of character that tests both whether your worthy of wielding magic but also which order you belong to. Due to all the various times magic is hunted down as aberrant they're careful who they let in and even the Black Robes are careful that any evil leaning experiments is done carefully and out of the public eye or else that member is persona non grata and cut loose.

And all three orders have equal representation in the Conclave of Wizards, the Black Robes in particular can even end up as the High Wizard (I forget the name of the title specifically) and previous the head of the White Robes and previous High Wizard was best friends with the Leader of the Black Robes.

Basically the ideals and priorities of the their gods is also represented in their membership, the most morally uptight White Robe will generally side with the most evil Black Robe if magic/the orders are threatened by an outsider or outside force. They're like colleagues at an exclusive law school. Not that white robes won't try to keep a leash on members of the other orders in the name of keeping magic safe but only when doing so won't present a weakness to outside forces to exploit. The three gods of magic (who are also Krynn's three moons) are siblings and they prioritize their sibling bond and common interest in Magic over the squabbles of the other gods.

In a way its a more interesting system because it treats alignment as if it were politics, no fighting at thanksgiving dinner, everyone has a space that is theirs, etc.

Alignment in Krynn is a bit interesting because it presents a sort of idea of balance, no one is ever totally good or totally evil and any time good, neutrality or evil dominates becomes just as bad as when the other side is winning. Like in the history of the setting the last time "Good" was 'winning' they formed a genocidal empire so bad the gods chucked a mountain at them.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Sep 15, 2021

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Raenir Salazar posted:

Like in the history of the setting the last time "Good" was 'winning' they formed a genocidal empire so bad the gods chucked a mountain at them.

I hope I'm not stepping on any toes here, but I'd argue that maybe that setting's definition of "good" is flawed in some capacity.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I hope I'm not stepping on any toes here, but I'd argue that maybe that setting's definition of "good" is flawed in some capacity.

I mean, considering the gods chucked a mountain at them, yes we're not supposed to consider them to be "good" anymore. They were the resulting status quo after the forces of "good" banished Queen Takhisis/Tiamat from the mortal realm when she tried to invade the world and were tasked with keep evil from returning.

My post doesn't capture the full nuance but from a narrative/writing perspective you're supposed to consider it as a exercise in "the road to hell is paved by good intentions/the longer you stare into the abyss the abyss will come to stare at you" on one hand and a "once you consider yourselves the epitome of all that is good, everyone else starts to be lacking in what is good" on the other. Like at one point they're even raiding/starting to invade the Elven Kingdoms as they were starting to be viewed by the Kingpriest as not being the right kind of good and thus apostate.

It's unclear to me from my vague memory as to precisely when the Kingpriest crossed a line and started getting biblical warnings to knock it off, but iirc it's been going on for a while with the warnings increasing in severity and frequency until the last moments.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Every word someone spends to try to justify alignment kills a baby dragon. Now to debate the alignment of alignment debates.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
what color is the baby dragon

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Good and evil as presented in early D&D were absolutely divorced from morality, partly on account of being defined by 80s grognards but also partly by design.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Schwarzwald posted:

Good and evil as presented in early D&D were absolutely divorced from morality, partly on account of being defined by 80s grognards but also partly by design.

Yeah, and if the vertical axis had used literally any other pair of words instead of the ones specifically used for morality, alignment debates wouldn't have become nearly as much of a joke.

"Is killing baby goblins more Spiritual or more Materialist?" doesn't quite get the old flame-wars running the same way.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Raenir Salazar posted:

I mean, considering the gods chucked a mountain at them, yes we're not supposed to consider them to be "good" anymore. They were the resulting status quo after the forces of "good" banished Queen Takhisis/Tiamat from the mortal realm when she tried to invade the world and were tasked with keep evil from returning.

My post doesn't capture the full nuance but from a narrative/writing perspective you're supposed to consider it as a exercise in "the road to hell is paved by good intentions/the longer you stare into the abyss the abyss will come to stare at you" on one hand and a "once you consider yourselves the epitome of all that is good, everyone else starts to be lacking in what is good" on the other. Like at one point they're even raiding/starting to invade the Elven Kingdoms as they were starting to be viewed by the Kingpriest as not being the right kind of good and thus apostate.

It's unclear to me from my vague memory as to precisely when the Kingpriest crossed a line and started getting biblical warnings to knock it off, but iirc it's been going on for a while with the warnings increasing in severity and frequency until the last moments.

As I recall, the line that was crossed was the Kingpriest saying "Hey, *I* should be a God! Make me a God, fellow Gods!".

I'm sure that's just a coincidence, though.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Schwarzwald posted:

Gygax is on record as saying the game's core loop (go to dungeons, kill their denizens, take their things) was inspired as much by Manifest Destiny American colonisation narratives as by Tolkien, and also that he considers orcs analogous to Native Americans and killing either to be a Lawful Good act. So yeah, the whole alignment system is rotten at the core.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

I've always had an interest in this sort of thing, just seeing where and when certain ideas originated and what they were originally used for, how certain ideas evolved over time and what was just flat out dropped along the way.

Some parts of 1st Edition are so different it borders on surreal; there was no distinction between class or race, unless you were human in which case you could be all of either fighter, mage or thief. Also they were just straight-up ripping off names from LotR until the Tolken estate caught wind and told them to knock it the gently caress off.

Race-as-class works well with the "you can be anything, so long as it starts weak and becomes stronger" ethos that some of the creators of early D&D had as DMs. If you want to be a vampire or a miniature dragon, then it makes sense that your character's progression as they gain levels would focus on their vampire/dragon powers, as opposed to just having some minor racial powers from the start that get overshadowed by class powers as they gain levels like in some later editions. That said, race-as-class feels kind of bizarre for the standard Tolkien races (elves, dwarves, halflings) that actually made it into the rulebooks.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Android Blues posted:

Gygax is on record as saying the game's core loop (go to dungeons, kill their denizens, take their things) was inspired as much by Manifest Destiny American colonisation narratives as by Tolkien, and also that he considers orcs analogous to Native Americans and killing either to be a Lawful Good act. So yeah, the whole alignment system is rotten at the core.

Wait. He WHAT?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

EimiYoshikawa posted:

As I recall, the line that was crossed was the Kingpriest saying "Hey, *I* should be a God! Make me a God, fellow Gods!".

I'm sure that's just a coincidence, though.

That was the moment that got the mountain thrown at him but the warnings had been going on for years prior to that, the gods knew where he was heading.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

navyjack posted:

Wait. He WHAT?

Gygax had some absolutely monstrous opinions. I'm not familiar with the Orc/Native American thing but he was fond of the expression that 'nits make lice' as a reason it was considered a good act to murder orc/goblin/etc children

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

navyjack posted:

Wait. He WHAT?

Gary Gygax 2005 posted:

Paladins are not stupid, and in general there is no rule of Lawful Good against killing enemies. The old adage about nits making lice applies. Also, as I have often noted, a paladin can freely dispatch prisoners of Evil alignment that have surrendered and renounced that alignment in favor of Lawful Good. They are then sent on to their reward before they can backslide.

An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth is by no means anything but Lawful and Good. Prisoners guilty of murder or similar capital crimes can be executed without violating any precept of the alignment. Hanging is likely the usual method of such execution, although it might be beheading, strangulation, etc. A paladin is likely a figure that would be considered a fair judge of criminal conduct.

The Anglo-Saxon punishment for rape and/or murder of a woman was as follows: tearing off of the scalp, cutting off of the ears and nose, blinding, chopping off of the feet and hands, and leaving the criminal beside the road for all bypassers to see. I don't know if they cauterized the limb stumps or not before doing that. It was said that a woman and child could walk the length and breadth of England without fear of molestation then...

Chivington might have been quoted as saying "nits make lice," but he is certainly not the first one to make such an observation as it is an observable fact. If you have read the account of wooden Leg, a warrior of the Cheyenne tribe that fought against Custer et al., he dispassionately noted killing an enemy squaw for the reason in question.

I am not going to waste my time and yours debating ethics and philosophy. I will state unequivocally that in the alignment system as presented in OAD&D, an eye for an eye is lawful and just, Lawful Good, as misconduct is to be punished under just laws.

Lawful Neutrality countenances malign laws. Lawful Good does not.

Mercy is to be displayed for the lawbreaker that does so by accident. Benevolence is for the harmless. Pacifism in the fantasy milieu is for those who would be slaves. They have no place in determining general alignment, albeit justice tempered by mercy is a NG manifestation, whilst well-considered benevolence is generally a mark of Good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I also disagree with Gygax' definition of "good," if that needed clarification, in part because I take issue with genocide.