Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
And the goo got everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

TobinHatesYou posted:

So um, Stan's Darts basically don't work for most road tire punctures. The plastic tip goes in fine, but the feathered rubber bit slides up the shaft and never makes it into the hole. For road, the answer is DynaPlug, especially if you are running higher pressures. Worms/bacon strips work "OK" to a point, but they can wiggle out at higher pressures, resulting in a giant pool of sealant and maybe some hilarious spray patterns wherever your store your bike.

For bigger holes, Rema's tubeless patch kit is good when you get home and don't want to bin your tire.

Well poo poo, thanks for letting me know. Guess I’ll check out Dynaplug.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
Marshmonkey and I finally received our Priority Apollo 11s today. First impressions are very positive after a ride around the neighborhood without having everything dialed in yet. I'm hoping that getting the mechanical discs dialed in will improve the braking because I can't lock the wheels up if I wanted to and they feel very weak compared to hydraulics. Was right between a small and medium frame, hoping I don't regret going with the medium.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

eeenmachine posted:

Marshmonkey and I finally received our Priority Apollo 11s today. First impressions are very positive after a ride around the neighborhood without having everything dialed in yet. I'm hoping that getting the mechanical discs dialed in will improve the braking because I can't lock the wheels up if I wanted to and they feel very weak compared to hydraulics. Was right between a small and medium frame, hoping I don't regret going with the medium.

You should definitely be able to lock the wheel up.
Most likely problem is the calipers aren't adjusted correctly.

That said, needing to adjust the calipers as the pads wear (or as they un-adjust themselves due to vibration) is a mechanical disc thing.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

eeenmachine posted:

I think that's the first belt drive drop bar bike I've seen, unless I've forgotten some that didn't seem viable anyway. What's the lowest ratio you can get with the Alfine?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I converted mine to drop bar, haven’t posted it in ages tho.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Ola posted:

I think that's the first belt drive drop bar bike I've seen, unless I've forgotten some that didn't seem viable anyway. What's the lowest ratio you can get with the Alfine?

It has an Alfine 11 not sure the on exact numbers but I know some people get a different chainring to get slightly better climbing gears.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
Something I was reminded while changing out my cleats the other day: What are those little plastic ovals in the middle of Look Keo (and clones) cleats for? I assume its for maintaining proper positioning when swapping in new cleats but I don't understand how they're supposed to be used? Are there special Look brand shoes that have a slot for those to go in or something?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

tylertfb posted:

Something I was reminded while changing out my cleats the other day: What are those little plastic ovals in the middle of Look Keo (and clones) cleats for? I assume its for maintaining proper positioning when swapping in new cleats but I don't understand how they're supposed to be used? Are there special Look brand shoes that have a slot for those to go in or something?

In theory your shoe has a bolt hole there so you leave that piece in place and just put the new cleat on like a puzzle piece. This keeps your position when swapping cleats. I don’t have any shoes with this feature though.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

In theory your shoe has a bolt hole there so you leave that piece in place and just put the new cleat on like a puzzle piece. This keeps your position when swapping cleats. I don’t have any shoes with this feature though.

After some quick googling (probably should have done that first!) I see that it (the grey oval) also presses against the steel plate of the pedal to dampen vibrations in the system when you're clipped in. What shoes even have that feature? I've never actually seen it in the wild.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

tylertfb posted:

After some quick googling (probably should have done that first!) I see that it (the grey oval) also presses against the steel plate of the pedal to dampen vibrations in the system when you're clipped in. What shoes even have that feature? I've never actually seen it in the wild.

I typically see the center hole on Italian shoes. Sidis, Gaernes, Cronos, etc. The newest Gaernes seem to have dropped that feature though. Drawing an outline of your old cleats with a silver sharpie is just as easy and doesn't add weight to the shoe's construction.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
Have any of you messed around with Chinese OEM carbon framesets like TAN TAN or Seraph?

http://tantancycling.com/index.php?_m=mod_product&_a=prdlist&cap_id=230

I want to build a crotch rocket apart from my utilitarian commuter.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

osker posted:

Have any of you messed around with Chinese OEM carbon framesets like TAN TAN or Seraph?

They can be good. Or bad.
I've never heard of those two.

I know a couple folks who've been very happy with ICAN frames (paging forums user e.pilot). I've raced a Miracle frame.

MacPac
Jun 2, 2006

Grimey Drawer

osker posted:

You just have to google around and see if you can find some small time youtuber or forums poster posting experiences/reviews with the frame you`re looking at.

i bought a elves frame the other day https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32945668099.html

check back in 2-3 months when i get delivered and built up :cheerdoge:

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

osker posted:

I'm

I bought a Dengfu a couple years back and it's still treating me great after 7,000+ miles. Swapped to an outboard 24/22 mm adaptor after the BB30 started creaking, but otherwise I haven't had a single issue.

Modal Auxiliary fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Sep 14, 2021

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
How do you all find the correct bottom bracket tool for your bike? Looks like there are many different kinds and I don’t know which one I have. There’s a finder on Park tool’s website but it didn’t even list Cube bikes

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

tuyop posted:

How do you all find the correct bottom bracket tool for your bike? Looks like there are many different kinds and I don’t know which one I have. There’s a finder on Park tool’s website but it didn’t even list Cube bikes

Google the bike and the year it was made, find the spec, go the BB manufacturer's website, cry at the price, etc. (looking at you, Specialized / Praxis)

post your bike here or in the maintenance thread? :)

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

tuyop posted:

Ask in the repair thread with pics and measurements:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933901

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

meltie posted:

Google the bike and the year it was made, find the spec, go the BB manufacturer's website, cry at the price, etc. (looking at you, Specialized / Praxis)

Are Praxis BBs really that expensive?

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
M30 bb is cheap, as is the tool for it.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

vikingstrike posted:

not hugely, but the tool for mine cost more than it should for what the tool does.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

meltie posted:

I guess I don't know what I'm looking for. It's a 2019 Cube Nuroad Pro FE. Does the crankset have only one type of BB?

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

tuyop posted:

I guess I don't know what I'm looking for. It's a 2019 Cube Nuroad Pro FE. Does the crankset have only one type of BB?

Yes, it's a Shimano external BB, probably RS500 or similar. You want this guy https://www.parktool.com/product/bottom-bracket-tool-bbt-9?category=Crank%20%26%20Bottom%20Bracket

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

vikingstrike posted:

Is your time not being able to ride worth something to you? That's the problem up here. Need a Praxis BB? GLHF it's probably a year out at this point.

If you aren't already hoarding bike parts it's too late for you.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I took the long way to get coffee today :3:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

osker posted:

I have an ICAN TT frame I built up, no complaints really for what I paid other than being boring raw carbon. I’ll eventually swap the group onto a better frame or get this one painted or something in the future, but it works just fine in the meantime.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Whaaaat up fuckers, been meaning to post in this thread as I NEED A NEW BIKE and would love your recommendations. I currently ride a cruiser or commuter or something I don't know, and generally knock out 10 to 15 miles every other day and barely break a sweat. Problem is, assholes leave me in their dust and look cool while doing it, and it's now time for me to be a cool rear end in a top hat. Here's my current ride. She's served me well but it's time to upgrade.

In talking with some folks at bike shops, they recommend an endurance road bike but I don't even know where to start since the prices can range from $500 to $7,000. Given my lovely explanation of what I'm looking for, what are your recommendations? Not too worried about price ($1k to $2k seems fair for decent bike) and I'd love something I could burn rubber on while getting a drat good workout. I'd prefer to buy something online so I don't have to deal with people and transportation.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

SimonSays posted:

Yes, it's a Shimano external BB, probably RS500 or similar. You want this guy https://www.parktool.com/product/bottom-bracket-tool-bbt-9?category=Crank%20%26%20Bottom%20Bracket

Thanks! But inside I have an unthreaded plastic bearing thing that needs some kind of tool you hit with a hammer to remove.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Louisgod posted:

Given my lovely explanation of what I'm looking for, what are your recommendations? Not too worried about price ($1k to $2k seems fair for decent bike)
$2000 gives you a lot of options for excellent mid-range bikes.

quote:

and I'd love something I could burn rubber on while getting a drat good workout.
You can always get a workout by riding harder. If they're leaving you in the dust and you're not breaking a sweat, just pedal faster.
Of course, having a fast efficient bike is still great and feels great to ride.

quote:

I'd prefer to buy something online so I don't have to deal with people and transportation.
This is tough, as you need to get a bike in the right size. If you don't have any body limitations (flexibility, injuries, asymmetry), there's a decent chance you can measure yourself and figure out the right frame. But it doesn't beat test riding bikes in different sizes. That bike you have now looks like maybe a medium, set up toward the larger end? Maybe 5'10-6'? Assuming you've set the seat at the right height.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Sep 14, 2021

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Pedaling faster is always an option but that bike is getting close to a decade old, which isn't necessarily bad, but I'm ready to get something specifically made for speed and endurance.

If online is too difficult then I have no qualms with picking one up locally (there are a bajillion bike shops here in Eugene) but would love some specific names/builds to try so the employees have an idea of what I'm looking for. I'm 5'8", ~165, with zero body limitations. Seat is set at the right height, assuming the right height is where your leg is fully extended when the pedal is at its lowest point.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

tuyop posted:

Thanks! But inside I have an unthreaded plastic bearing thing that needs some kind of tool you hit with a hammer to remove.

Ok well the page doesn't mention the BB or shell at all. Get in touch with the shop you bought it from and see what they say.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

EvilJoven posted:

Is your time not being able to ride worth something to you? That's the problem up here. Need a Praxis BB? GLHF it's probably a year out at this point.

If you aren't already hoarding bike parts it's too late for you.

I have a Praxis BB in my parts bin, anyone here is welcome to it for free. BB86, it was for a Zayante Carbon crankset. Cups, caps and spring. But it does need new bearings pressed into it. Gravel is hell on road parts.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Louisgod posted:

Pedaling faster is always an option but that bike is getting close to a decade old, which isn't necessarily bad, but I'm ready to get something specifically made for speed and endurance.

If online is too difficult then I have no qualms with picking one up locally (there are a bajillion bike shops here in Eugene) but would love some specific names/builds to try so the employees have an idea of what I'm looking for. I'm 5'8", ~165, with zero body limitations. Seat is set at the right height, assuming the right height is where your leg is fully extended when the pedal is at its lowest point.

You're set on road bikes, right? Like 0% on dirt/gravel, except if you get lost or something.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

kimbo305 posted:

You're set on road bikes, right? Like 0% on dirt/gravel, except if you get lost or something.

The bike paths closest to my house that are only a mile away ride parallel to a river and they're fully paved, so I don't run into much if any dirt/gravel, and Eugene has such wonderful bike paths/lanes that you don't run into gravel/dirt unless you want to on purpose. That said, I'm not against dirt/gravel bikes but I prefer to have a leisurely ride.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
then you're looking for an endurance road bike, you can fit relatively wide tires for comfort, sit relatively upright compared to a 'true' race bike (more comfy but still fast).

I'd recommend an aluminium frame one, as steel is heavy and expensive, and carbon is too expensive for what you want and breaks more easily.
For groupset you can't go wrong with shimano 105 (or SRAM Rival, but most people prefer shimano).
Most bikes in that category come with disc brakes nowadays, hydraulic is the way to go over mechanical by far.

The bike market is quite hosed at the moment, so you'll might have to settle for a non-ideal one, or get on a looong waiting list. Fit is by far the most important factor: if a bike is too large/small for you you'll hate riding it, so no compromises there. Groupset: you can downgrade to tiagra, or up to ultegra, but 105 is by far the best bang for your buck.

Bikes in this category from some bigger names:

Canyon Endurace 7.0 AL Disc - 1900 bucks
Giant Contend AR 1 - 1800 bucks
Trek Domane AL 5 Disc - 2000 bucks

Try one of these or something like it! Most brands have a model with similar specs in their lineup.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

SimonSays posted:

Ok well the page doesn't mention the BB or shell at all. Get in touch with the shop you bought it from and see what they say.

LBS just called to inform me that they destroyed the caps on the old one so I guess it’s a moot point and I’ll ask what they installed when I go pick it up! Thanks for the help.

pmcTRILOGY
Feb 9, 2014

MY BRAND!
I've been thinking about an upgrade similar to what Louisgod is considering with a similar budget.

Current ride:

My closest LBS seems to mostly stock Giant (when anything is in stock) so I've been eyeballing something like the Contend. Glad to know it seems to be thread approved.

A specific question I have: would something more oriented for gravel/dirt also be better at handling bad road surfaces like old exposed aggregate with patches or cobblestones? I've been doing all my riding around Philadelphia/Camden and run into these a fair bit. Is there anything I should factor in for frequently encountering awful road surfaces?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

pmcTRILOGY posted:

I've been thinking about an upgrade similar to what Louisgod is considering with a similar budget.

Current ride:

My closest LBS seems to mostly stock Giant (when anything is in stock) so I've been eyeballing something like the Contend. Glad to know it seems to be thread approved.

A specific question I have: would something more oriented for gravel/dirt also be better at handling bad road surfaces like old exposed aggregate with patches or cobblestones? I've been doing all my riding around Philadelphia/Camden and run into these a fair bit. Is there anything I should factor in for frequently encountering awful road surfaces?

Yeah, if a bike is good on gravel it's also better on terrible roads. It's mainly the tires that make the difference though, so get something that can fit wide(-ish) tires and you're good most of the time. Think 35-40mm wide ones. You can run them tubeless on lower pressures to get a lot of compliance.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

pmcTRILOGY posted:

Is there anything I should factor in for frequently encountering awful road surfaces?

32mm is gonna do a lot for really cracked up roads and even the occasional missed pothole. That said, only newer road frames tend to have that much clearance. 40mm would be a bit slow when you're riding on majority smooth road.

Cracks/bumps that would have me raising off the saddle for comfort at 32mm, I'd just ride right over at 40.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Louisgod posted:

The bike paths closest to my house that are only a mile away ride parallel to a river and they're fully paved, so I don't run into much if any dirt/gravel, and Eugene has such wonderful bike paths/lanes that you don't run into gravel/dirt unless you want to on purpose. That said, I'm not against dirt/gravel bikes but I prefer to have a leisurely ride.
You can stick road tires onto a gravel bike and keep your options open.