Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

One-sided D-dried Up followed by B-blow It Up next turn is a good combo at this s-stage. I agree on C-chop It Off being garbage (0.5 less expected average damage than B-blow It Up and without 1 paralysis). However, after +2 Strength from D-dried Up , it gets +1.5 average damage on B-blow It Up with more predictable rolls (Strength is more effective if you have more dice). It could be useful, but it is quickly outclassed before you could start really using it.
Y-you only live once is only good as a meme. 3-cost which does less damage on average than 2-cost. You could use it as gambling attack against some high roll, but you shouldn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
An interesting question that the Brotherhood raises for me is why the box-bots from LC were stuck with such lovely bodies.

We've now seen that even "full body replacements" versus a true AI, still mean you're subject to the "no humanoid robots" rules. We've also seen that even absolute bottom-of-the-barrel robot bodies are much better than the box-bot chassis.

Is it some sort of sliding scale of acceptability where you can have a better body if you're more human? Are robot bodies a relatively recent invention and the box-bots were at one point a cutting edge model before LC was sealed off and put into a time loop?

Is it something that A did deliberately in order to divorce the Sephira from their true human identities?

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

golden bubble posted:

You will never take away our love of single dice combat pages with huge RNG.
Single hit RNG memes are bad cards, and you are all fools for playing them! :argh:

But seriously though, I don't really feel like YOLO is really worth it? A maximum of 12 isn't that much to write home about, especially when you're comparing it with the big multihit combo pages that are it's peers in the arena of early 3 cost pages.

MiiNiPaa posted:

One-sided D-dried Up followed by B-blow It Up next turn is a good combo at this s-stage. I agree on C-chop It Off being garbage (0.5 less expected average damage than B-blow It Up and without 1 paralysis). However, after +2 Strength from D-dried Up , it gets +1.5 average damage on B-blow It Up with more predictable rolls (Strength is more effective if you have more dice). It could be useful, but it is quickly outclassed before you could start really using it.
Y-you only live once is only good as a meme. 3-cost which does less damage on average than 2-cost. You could use it as gambling attack against some high roll, but you shouldn't.
It is a good combo, but is it a useful one? Fights at this point in the game are all hilariously easy because they never rebalanced the early game after stripping out the page levelling mechanics, and it's probably faster to win fights by turning off your brain and going full unga than it is actually strategizing mid-combat like that.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

What about the guaranteed 3 Emotion from C-chop it off?

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

King of Bleh posted:

An interesting question that the Brotherhood raises for me is why the box-bots from LC were stuck with such lovely bodies.
Because other bodies were not nessesary to the Plan. And must I remind you that Gebura was beating the poo poo out of Abnormalities so hard, that she regularly broke Ego equipment, while being in boxbot body.

GilliamYaeger posted:

It is a good combo, but is it a useful one? .
Absolutely not, unless you are waiting LP to catch up and tryind strange poo poo like beating your latest receptions with earliest cards.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Quackles posted:

What about the guaranteed 3 Emotion from C-chop it off?
It only gives one emotion. The 1-1 and 3-3 dice don't give any coins because they don't have a maximum or minimum roll.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

GilliamYaeger posted:

It only gives one emotion. The 1-1 and 3-3 dice don't give any coins because they don't have a maximum or minimum roll.

Oh.

That’s good to know.

Man, this game feels like it’s built entirely of edge cases. :lobcorp:

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

The Box Bot Bodies might be like that for pure durability. Given the potential abuse they would suffer from working at LobCorp A might have went for function over form.

Make a sturdy body capable of protecting the brains of his friends (and torture his hated enemy). Plus they have some sort of hologram projection deal I thought, when they accepted their pasts they turn it off.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Sep 14, 2021

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Xenav posted:

Personally, I'd bet that Rolland might be getting hungry, since he never got to that trip to HamHamPangPang.

Just order delivery and then book the delivery driver. They would have died doing such dangerous work in the city anyway, so this is morally justified.

Artificer posted:

I want to see Angela get hit with a sword. Jerk!

Bonk.

Also Roland makes good points about full-body replacement, but the BoIs themselves explain why it's so appealing for low-grade Syndicates: You don't need to eat or drink, don't get tired, and don't feel pain. That's probably a loving huge deal for low-grade syndicates in the backstreets who are facing starvation on the regular. Even washed-up Roland probably makes enough money to not have to really worry about where his next meal is coming form, so he probably can't relate.

...of course, the reality is that if you get stuck with bad autobodies, you've got to spend money on repairs and fresh spine juice to keep your brain from drying out, so you only break even, if that. And if you can afford *good* autobodies, you probably aren't being threatened with death by exposure and starvation anyway.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

King of Bleh posted:

We've now seen that even "full body replacements" versus a true AI, still mean you're subject to the "no humanoid robots" rules. We've also seen that even absolute bottom-of-the-barrel robot bodies are much better than the box-bot chassis.

Is it some sort of sliding scale of acceptability where you can have a better body if you're more human? Are robot bodies a relatively recent invention and the box-bots were at one point a cutting edge model before LC was sealed off and put into a time loop?

Is it something that A did deliberately in order to divorce the Sephira from their true human identities?

A probably didn't care about how the boxbots viewed their identities, but shoving his employee's brains into VCRs made it easier for himself to treat them as tools.

Especially since LC boxbots weren't made for combat, partly since they didn't need combat capabilities in their management role, and party because someone who is physically powerless is less likely to think about going on strike.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

silentsnack posted:

A probably didn't care about how the boxbots viewed their identities, but shoving his employee's brains into VCRs made it easier for himself to treat them as tools.

Especially since LC boxbots weren't made for combat, partly since they didn't need combat capabilities in their management role, and party because someone who is physically powerless is less likely to think about going on strike.

Geburah seemed to be doing well enough, she may have been wearing herself out but she was fighting as a Box Bot.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Lord_Magmar posted:

Geburah seemed to be doing well enough, she may have been wearing herself out but she was fighting as a Box Bot.
That might have more to do with EGO than the body itself - EGO (as stated by Binah) doesn't care about how good your body is, only how good your mind is. The boxbots being pieces of poo poo wouldn't factor into the equation any more than the Agents being unaugmented randoms would factor into them taking on a Claw.

Chinely
Apr 13, 2018

TeeQueue posted:

One, when you urgently need a huge amount of money. You can sell off your old body and organs for a good chunk of cash. Two, when you need to do repetitive work for a long time. I heard mechanical bodies like that aren’t bad for that kind of labor. Broken parts can be quickly replaced, and desires can be kept under control, so it has its merits.

Repetitive work for a long time…

What, interested in getting a new body?

No, I was just reminded of my past for a moment.

As much as I know about Lobotomy Corp Angela ... this game really does make me have sympathy for the devil.

I'm also interested in seeing how your combat style differs from mine, TQ. I was based v heavily on knocking out the weakest members as fast as possible while light starving the stronger ones, and farming my light recovery/page draw cards with bad match ups to farm emotion. Not that you can do that yet, though.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

The box bots weren't humanoid at all but aside from that we don't know a whole lot about their quality. Maybe they were really great robot bodies that happened to look like a refrigerator on a unicycle! Certainly they seemed to have fewer maintenance issues than these losers did.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

GilliamYaeger posted:

To clarify: the first die will be guaranteed to generate a coin, since there's no middle ground between minimum and maximum. Cards that heavily feature one point variance dice like that are valuable as emotion generators.

Of course, the other two run headlong into the issue of having no variance, in that they are only capable of generating emotion through winning or losing a clash. For a three die card, this is awful, and should be avoided. These are things to keep in mind should you run across modifiers that affect your minimum and maximum rolls.

YOLO is a goddamn meme because its variance on its single die is too wild, making it unreliable for basically any purpose you can think of. Though it is worth noting that minimum and maximum rolls cannot drop below 1, so if you run into an effect like that it's virtually immune.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Qrr posted:

The box bots weren't humanoid at all but aside from that we don't know a whole lot about their quality. Maybe they were really great robot bodies that happened to look like a refrigerator on a unicycle! Certainly they seemed to have fewer maintenance issues than these losers did.

They seemed to work p. good, except for Tiphereth, which is weird, because Tiphereth worked fine?

MetaMeme
Apr 30, 2017

You may boorishly refer to it as "Pickpocketing", but I prefer "Urban Foraging".
Actually if you just hit the 8.3 repeating % chance 100% of the time YOLO is the best card

Chinely
Apr 13, 2018

It is sobering to read that Y-you Only Live Once! is considered a trash card when I used it all the time and loved it. No risks no rewards, baby!

I did draw the line at a later card that is literally useless unless it max rolls though. Even I've got a limit.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

King of Bleh posted:

Probably isn't worth putting a lot of effort into boxes that are expected to explode into messy tree monsters on a regular basis. Or be pulverized in Tiphereth's case.

Sybot
Nov 8, 2009
All these mechanics explanations are really helpful after losing my first reception, to guests who have a gimmick involving them. Turns out I'd been completely underestimating how powerful things like Strength and Paralysis in my focus on getting dice to line up.

E-endure was a staple card for a while, but now I have to go back and re-assess all the others, not to mention whatever I've picked up since, to see if I missed any good status effects.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

It certainly would not hurt to get proper assessments of cards from those in the know when they come up. There's this one guide on Steam, sure, but it clearly hasn't been updated in a long time.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Materant posted:

It certainly would not hurt to get proper assessments of cards from those in the know when they come up. There's this one guide on Steam, sure, but it clearly hasn't been updated in a long time.
It's gotten updates recently, it's started to go up to the final act. But while it's mostly accurate I disagree on some aspects. Also it doesn't touch on keypages, which is a pretty important aspect of the game.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Octatonic posted:

They seemed to work p. good, except for Tiphereth, which is weird, because Tiphereth worked fine?

Tiphereth seem to be less of a mechanical failure and more that unlike the other Sephira he was unable to cope or delude himself to deal with the loops or his new reality and essentially kept having nervous breakdowns that repeated resets and memory wipes only made worse.

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017

GilliamYaeger posted:

This is a huge meme. If you want to inflict paralysis, E-endure is two light cheaper.

Getting hit by a max roll YOLO sucks. The only reason I survived is because I have more HP than the enemies. The enemies won't start matching your party's HP for a good while.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Your Everyday NEET posted:

Getting hit by a max roll YOLO sucks. The only reason I survived is because I have more HP than the enemies. The enemies won't start matching your party's HP for a good while.
Big number single hits are way better on enemies than they are on your own units due to the defensive nature of the game. A big number thrown at you forces you to react to it due to how you control the flow of combat, while throwing a big number at an enemy probably results in you winning a clash then getting hit by the second dice. It doesn't force the enemy to react to it because they've already taken their turn. Despite appearances, this is an asymmetrical game.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey op, are you tracking resets? Think it was just one si far on Bloodbath.

Arcvasti posted:

The Brotherhood of Iron are pretty brutal if you still haven't figured out how to do abnormality fights yet. IIRC it is possible since you have Malkuth to tag in, but it is very rough.

Paralyze is a really good debuff, and their passive is imo among the best one point passives in the game. Conversely, paralyzing yourself is pretty nasty, so not much of a fan of their cards that do that. E-endure frigging rules too, very good dice match-ups against a lot of cards, consistent emotion coin gain with the 3-4 die and potentially two stacks of paralysis are crazy for a card this early.

I think min max roll coins are offensive dice only.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Sep 15, 2021

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

GilliamYaeger posted:

Big number single hits are way better on enemies than they are on your own units due to the defensive nature of the game. A big number thrown at you forces you to react to it due to how you control the flow of combat, while throwing a big number at an enemy probably results in you winning a clash then getting hit by the second dice. It doesn't force the enemy to react to it because they've already taken their turn. Despite appearances, this is an asymmetrical game.

This is kind of the thing for a lot of RPGs really - the enemy can keep losing forever, but they only need to win once. So stupid short term strategies like "big range single die" will gently caress you over both when used by you and when used against you, since the benefits for rolling high don't tend to play out over the long term but as a single random event can really screw you over.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Robindaybird posted:

Tiphereth seem to be less of a mechanical failure and more that unlike the other Sephira he was unable to cope or delude himself to deal with the loops or his new reality and essentially kept having nervous breakdowns that repeated resets and memory wipes only made worse.

Nah, it was clearly a mechanical failure. Tiphereth said so. :v:

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

Acerbatus posted:

Hey op, are you tracking resets? Think it was just one si far on Bloodbath.

I think min max roll coins are offensive dice only.

I haven't been, but it's just the one so far, yes. Maybe I should do that again... At the very least it'll probably be higher than 17 this time.

Probably.

Min/max apply to any die, by the way.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

GilliamYaeger posted:

Knowing how much LobCorp was willing to gently caress with core game mechanics even down to the interface and pausing, I'm definitely expecting at some point an abnormality battle or something will have "for this battle, you must choose first" or possibly just "cannot see enemy intents" as a curve ball.

Winterdragon2004
Mar 28, 2021

I'll hear that wonderous sound again, even if it has to be from my own two hands

King of Bleh posted:

Knowing how much LobCorp was willing to gently caress with core game mechanics even down to the interface and pausing, I'm definitely expecting at some point an abnormality battle or something will have "for this battle, you must choose first" or possibly just "cannot see enemy intents" as a curve ball.

I am fully expecting to run into the Train or something similar that just strait up attacks you prematurely if you take too long choosing your cards or something

MetaMeme
Apr 30, 2017

You may boorishly refer to it as "Pickpocketing", but I prefer "Urban Foraging".

Winterdragon2004 posted:

I am fully expecting to run into the Train or something similar that just strait up attacks you prematurely if you take too long choosing your cards or something

If you don't pick the next reception fast enough, it just runs over your lobby and half your unsealed cards

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Robindaybird posted:

He was also the first I want to say, after the thing that originally happened.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

GilliamYaeger posted:

Single hit RNG memes are bad cards, and you are all fools for playing them! :argh:

Just roll max every time, ez game

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Single-use cards do have their uses. Some enemy cards throw an attack, then do a bunch of defensive stuff. Sometimes the best solution on hand is to just whack them in the face then let them wave their blocks at you.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

King of Bleh posted:

Starting a petition to have TeeQueue do a segment on the "Library of Ruina realtime" mod.

Winterdragon2004
Mar 28, 2021

I'll hear that wonderous sound again, even if it has to be from my own two hands

MetaMeme posted:

If you don't pick the next reception fast enough, it just runs over your lobby and half your unsealed cards

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Oh Hell Train, you glorious bastard :allears:.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It should be kept in mind that, as Angela told us when we met Bloodbath, the abnos are significantly weaker than they used to be and can’t exist outside their books any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
I'm ok with this.
Nothing good ever comes from trains :colbert: