Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

tracecomplete posted:

So F360 doesn't have a real hobbyist plan, Solidworks is scary as heck, and FreeCAD apparently can't do parametric modeling in inches. It decides that ceil(28.75in + 1in) is "28.78 in", because their modeling engine is silly.

Any other options worth looking at? (Sketchup isn't on the table, my brain loves parametric modeling now, I'm stuck.)

I'm partial to CREO, but if you think Solidworks is scary....

Seriously, if you have the ability, take a couple of days with Solidworks. It's very forgiving and easy to learn, especially to do woodworking type things (basic extrudes and cuts and revolves). Probably the easiest professional system I've used, granted I used it after a decade of CREO experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Uthor posted:

Seriously, if you have the ability, take a couple of days with Solidworks. It's very forgiving and easy to learn, especially to do woodworking type things (basic extrudes and cuts and revolves). Probably the easiest professional system I've used, granted I used it after a decade of CREO experience.

Is there a creo hobbiest option? I haven't used it in a few years but I'm so sick of solidworks poo poo I'd give it a whirl at home if there was an option.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

To follow up on that too, is there a solidworks hobby option that isn’t :filez:? Some stuff in the CAD thread made it seem like the current SW hobbyist options were going away/getting nerfed.

simble
May 11, 2004

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

To follow up on that too, is there a solidworks hobby option that isnt :filez:? Some stuff in the CAD thread made it seem like the current SW hobbyist options were going away/getting nerfed.

This is kind of silly, but if you join the EAA (Experimental Aircraft Association) for $40/year you get a decent SolidWorks license. I don't know how great it is, but it's worked for random woodworking poo poo that I've wanted to do. Obviously this program might go away someday.

bred
Oct 24, 2008
I grew up with SolidWorks so F360 was the weird one to me. I'm using Onshape for home stuff. It runs in a browser so I can design on my chromebook while watching TV. The free plan is here https://www.onshape.com/en/products/free

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
F360 is fantastic and is pretty incredible for free software. The work flow is nearly the same as solidworks and should be fairly approachable if you have any parametric modeling experience.

simble
May 11, 2004

simble posted:

This is kind of silly, but if you join the EAA (Experimental Aircraft Association) for $40/year you get a decent SolidWorks license. I don't know how great it is, but it's worked for random woodworking poo poo that I've wanted to do. Obviously this program might go away someday.

Never mind, they changed this. I guess you only get 50% off the makers version now. Not worth.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

NomNomNom posted:

F360 is fantastic and is pretty incredible for free software. The work flow is nearly the same as solidworks and should be fairly approachable if you have any parametric modeling experience.

No software that doesn't let you save a document to local storage is awesome, by definition. That they are now leveraging that to take features away even more than they had is worse.

I am seriously considering doing all my work in millimeters instead because at least FreeCAD runs on anything and doesn't try to hold my stuff hostage.

Uthor posted:

Yeah, I get you. I'm sure Solidworks is actually fine if I spent like a week or so on it. It also doesn't run on a Mac though and I don't have any Windows laptops, so having to RDP to my desktop or whatever is not my cup of tea.

Honestly FreeCAD really does everything I need it to do, except correct unit conversion. Which has some real "other than that, how was the play, Mrs. Lincoln?" energy to it, I realize, but ugh.

tracecomplete fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Sep 13, 2021

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
Anyone have experience with this grizzly lathe? I meet the guy in a couple hours and will likely buy it.

https://lincoln.craigslist.org/tls/d/lincoln-grizzly-wood-lathe/7379230115.html

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I got the bandsaw set up and running today, it's wonderful and a fantastic upgrade to my crappy benchtop one I had before. (Sorry Poppop, but you bought a crappy saw). I'm going to install a better switch on it though. Anyone have any thoughts on this:
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08PY8B8CZ/

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Sep 14, 2021

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
What's that book on wood finishes that keeps popping up in here? A friend of mine just got into wood working and I'd like to get him a copy since he's been into experimenting with finishes lately.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Pretty sure you're talking about Understanding Wood Finishing

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

The junk collector posted:

What's that book on wood finishes that keeps popping up in here? A friend of mine just got into wood working and I'd like to get him a copy since he's been into experimenting with finishes lately.

Anything by Bob Flexner really but especially:

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Pretty sure you're talking about Understanding Wood Finishing

If he likes to experiment, George Frank wrote a lot about some funky old school stuff like making your own dye with walnut husks and rusty nails and chemicals you probably can’t buy any more.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Anything by Bob Flexner really but especially:

If he likes to experiment, George Frank wrote a lot about some funky old school stuff like making your own dye with walnut husks and rusty nails and chemicals you probably can’t buy any more.

I remember doing a science fair project like this...

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
That's the one, thanks goons. I'll definitely send him over to George Frank too.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
A few months ago the updated and revised 3rd edition of Understanding Wood Finishing came out, so you might want to check you have that one and not the older 2nd edition. I don't know how much has changed, but for better or worse environmental/VOC-regulations are in constant flux and a lot of older information may be obsolete because of that.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Is a Harbor Freight plane worth buying to just use as a scrub plane? Stumpynubs has a video about it but wanted to see if there were second opinions. Obviously I'd only be out $15, but I've never done stuff like grind a curve, etc. so it'd be a time sunk as well if it would still be poo poo.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

z0331 posted:

Is a Harbor Freight plane worth buying to just use as a scrub plane? Stumpynubs has a video about it but wanted to see if there were second opinions. Obviously I'd only be out $15, but I've never done stuff like grind a curve, etc. so it'd be a time sunk as well if it would still be poo poo.

I did the conversion from the Stumpy Nubs video, and I'm happy with it. The parts seat well enough that nothing moves around while it's in use, and it's just a roughing tool anyway. I have to sharpen the blade more often, but that's no big deal.

e: On the other hand, I've never used anything designed as a scrub plane, so I don't really have anything to compare it with.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

z0331 posted:

It's capable enough, but I wound up ditching it in favor of just swapping blades in my other planes. Part of that is my own space limitations, part of it is because the HF blade needed sharpened more than I had the will to, most of it was because the rear handle just kind of broke off one day.

I'm also that guy that uses a #6 with stupid hard Lee Valley blades for pretty much everything, so maybe take that experience with a boulder or two of salt.

Suntan Boy fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Sep 14, 2021

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

z0331 posted:

Personally, I'd get one of the 60s blue Stanley planes or similar era that go for about $20 on eBay. More comfortable, better quality metal, etc.
Right now my scrub is a #4 Sargent that's seen better days. I cambered the blade from a free Buck Bros plane to put in it.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Stultus Maximus posted:

I remember doing a science fair project like this...

Potassium dichromate and stannous chloride are the big ones that appear a lot in older books, but even back in the 70s they'd tell you that stuff'll kill you (they just used it anyway, for Authenticity). You can still get them and all the other freaky poo poo like people used to treat wood with (like arsenic) from a chemical supply house if you really want to, but perhaps consider not getting that poo poo all over you just to make a chair pretty

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Sep 14, 2021

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Just Winging It posted:

A few months ago the updated and revised 3rd edition of Understanding Wood Finishing came out, so you might want to check you have that one and not the older 2nd edition. I don't know how much has changed, but for better or worse environmental/VOC-regulations are in constant flux and a lot of older information may be obsolete because of that.

Like what for example? :goonsay:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Mr. Mambold posted:

Like what for example? :goonsay:

You flat-out can't buy denatured alcohol in California, for one.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

how do people even live in CA

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Very carefully but still not carefully enough

Arsenic Lupin posted:

You flat-out can't buy denatured alcohol in California, for one.

out of curiosity, what's the "airquotes" reasoning?

Nemico
Sep 23, 2006

I wonder how much of it has to do with fires started by campers

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Mr. Mambold posted:

Very carefully but still not carefully enough

out of curiosity, what's the "airquotes" reasoning?

VOC/air quality regulations. Apparently you can still buy Behkol which is just fancy denatured alchohol for thinning shellac and more $$$ because ?????? Toluene and xylene (which are admittedly nastier chemicals)are also banned, as are I think most solvent based finishes.

Nemico posted:

I wonder how much of it has to do with fires started by campers
Google says alcohol stoves were already banned :shrug:

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Apparently ethanol can cause photo-chemical smog. So those pictures from LA in the 70s/80s with all the smog? Turns out that was everyone French polishing and not from car exhaust fumes.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I can't actually find anything published by the state of California directly saying no more DA, just people passing around various rumors about it. Willing to believe that in an effort to conserve paper/electrons California has stopped publishing new regulations, and citizens are simply supposed to intuit them as they are passed

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Sep 14, 2021

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I can't actually find the reg that says no more DA anywhere on a california state website, just people passing around various rumors about it. Willing to believe that in an effort to conserve paper/electrons California has stopped publishing new regulations, and citizens are simply supposed to intuit it

It’s actually because passing legislation now falls under prop 65 and is known to the state of California to cause cancer, because it must occur in California.

You can still get white gas there I thought? It was a couple years ago that I thought it was the case.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

In 2019 California made it illegal to buy or sell denatured alcohol within the state. I went looking for it last year, was surprised to not find it, even more surprised that amazon et. al. wouldn't ship it to me, and eventually found that Rockler sells a shellac thinner that suits my needs, albeit at a steep markup compared to DA.

The california air resources board (CARB) has a huge job to do; it's led the country to cut emissions and reduce or eliminate smog over the last fifty years; but it is a regulatory agency filled with bureaucrats and red tape and this is one case where the needs of woodworkers were clearly not really considered. Denatured Alcohol's primary industrial use has been as a parts cleaner, in which all of the alcohol is typically allowed to evaporate. That it's also historically been used by painters and woodworkers, as well as for camp stove fuel, may not have been considered, or considered not sufficient to keep it in around (at least for painters and camp stove fuel, there are adequate substitutes).

This is not related to the cancer stuff; it's about smog and air quality, falling under CARB's regulatory aegis.

In other news, I just watched this and found it extremely convincing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7HxBa9WVis

End grain glueups are stronger than side-grain, provided you are using the same amount of surface area; but the myth's origins are easy to understand, as he explains at the end of the video.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Leperflesh posted:

This is not related to the cancer stuff; it's about smog and air quality, falling under CARB's regulatory aegis.

End grain glueups are stronger than side-grain, provided you are using the same amount of surface area; but the myth's origins are easy to understand, as he explains at the end of the video.

yeah I saw this vid a few days ago and lots of woodworking youtube is in a furor over it. Apparently lots of people are unable to understand the video, too?

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

Stumpy Nubs has a response video where he makes kind of an oblique argument, that we don't in fact know the strength of the side-grain glue-ups because lignin is actually what's breaking there, and not glue. So we don't really know the strength of the bond, just that wood will fail before glue.

It's neither here nor there, because in practice once anything breaks you're hosed but it was mildly interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwLWmoGh59g

Wood whisperer also makes the point that mechanical joinery is always going to be stronger than glue, so you're better off not relying on glue alone, particularly because of the kind of leverage that you have on joints in real-life furniture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fuvq0FDsUC0

Sullivan kind of gestures to this when he talks about the difference in how much surface is joined in a typical side vs end joint, but doesn't come right out and discuss it in the context of the kinds of things you might want to build.

Danhenge fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Sep 14, 2021

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Welp, count me in as one of the people who believed the myth. Thanks for sharing that!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Danhenge posted:

Stumpy Nubs has a response video where he makes kind of an oblique argument, that we don't in fact know the strength of the side-grain glue-ups because lignin is actually what's breaking there, and not glue. So we don't really know the strength of the bond, just that wood will fail before glue.

It's neither here nor there, because in practice once anything breaks you're hosed but it was mildly interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwLWmoGh59g

Wood whisperer also makes the point that mechanical joinery is always going to be stronger than glue, so you're better off not relying on glue alone, particularly because of the kind of leverage that you have on joints in real-life furniture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fuvq0FDsUC0

Sullivan kind of gestures to this when he talks about the difference in how much surface is joined in a typical side vs face joint, but doesn't come right out and discuss it in the context of the kinds of things you might want to build.

I watched both

In my opinion t's basically a problem of the conclusion, as Stumpy Nubs said. The Sullivan video would work just fine if he changed his confusion from "it's not the grain that makes this joint fail, it's that it's a terrible joint design."

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Leperflesh posted:

Huh. That’s really interesting. I bet there’s a Forest Products Laboratory publication on this and I’m very interested to see what they say. I imagine the myth got born because we see a failed glue line, not the fact that it actually took much more force to break that glueline than we thought (because not many of us have force gauges or w/e sitting around).

Another point is that he made extremely smooth cuts on the end grain, which probably weren’t usual in the 19th C. when a lot of our practical woodworking knowledge was born? I guess shooting end grain can get a nice surface too. Edge grain glue-ups always would be planed, and the softer edge grain will smush together a bit where hard endgrain won’t. I’d be very interested to see if the same results hold true with hot hide glue or not.

I guess although end-end glue joints may be stronger than the splitting/long grain breaking strength of the wood, they’re both much weaker than unbroken expanse of long grain which a real joint (mortise and tenon, bridle, whatever) makes use of. I guess long-grain crossing the joint is the important thing which is why stuff gets finger jointed, not butt jointed.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Suntan Boy posted:

I'm also that guy that uses a #6 with stupid hard Lee Valley blades for pretty much everything, so maybe take that experience with a boulder or two of salt.

There are dozens of us, dozens!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Leperflesh posted:

In 2019 California made it illegal to buy or sell denatured alcohol within the state. I went looking for it last year, was surprised to not find it, even more surprised that amazon et. al. wouldn't ship it to me, and eventually found that Rockler sells a shellac thinner that suits my needs, albeit at a steep markup compared to DA.

[good stuff snipped]

I wound up buying Klean-Strip Green, which apparently is legal for reasons I comprehend not. I got the recommendation from shellac.net, which is a really cool site.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

GEMorris posted:

There are dozens of us, dozens!

"There was a knot?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Squibbles posted:

You don't know, maybe mds2 cuts of their finger 2 or 3 times a year so it's their number 1 reason for visiting emerg.

It's the outlier Fingat Georg again, throwing off the average