Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Ok Comboomer posted:

by like an order of magnitude, yeah

That's odd. Macs tend to be underpowered compared to their rival PCs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Euphoriaphone posted:

Is there some law that an Apple device can't have both FaceID and TouchID in one? Since it doesn't look like masks are going anywhere anytime soon, I'd gladly give up every other upgrade to have loving TouchID again.

Apple’s trying to phase out TouchID in favour of FaceID even though very few actual people prefer face over touch.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

punk rebel ecks posted:

Has this been the case since the M1's were released?

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
The tele on the iPhone Pro is up to 77mm and down to f/2.8... but are the tele cameras now the same on the Pro and Pro Max? The old Pro was a 52mm f/2 and the Pro Max was a 65mm f/2.2. I can't find anywhere on the Apple website that is clear about this. If the normal Pro now has a 77mm tele, that might be worth an upgrade...

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

punk rebel ecks posted:

don’t worry, they’ll finish fixing that by 2023

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Sock The Great posted:

Has this been the case since the M1's were released?

That's a very new revelation.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Any hint at a release date?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

Any hint at a release date?

November 10, 2020

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Pretty boring refresh if the only thing I am interested in over the 12 Pro Max is longer battery life. Mine gets fairly low by the end of the day. But can just slap a magsafe battery on it or whatever.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
The real question is...

Graphite or Sierra Blue?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

CerealKilla420 posted:

The real question is...

Graphite or Sierra Blue?

Blue

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
wtf kind of question is that

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

CerealKilla420 posted:

The real question is...

Graphite or Sierra Blue?

There's always a plain black phone, life is too short to not get the fun colors. :kimchi:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

blue phone is fine and all but what are the case colors!??!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Oh shiiiiiiit purple leather is back!

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I should have waited with my broken rear end 6S, love the camera update and battery to the 13 Pro, drat.

And I dropped my 12 Pro onto brick recently and damaged the frame with small dents so Apple would probably decimate the trade-in value :negative:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

vote_no posted:

The tele on the iPhone Pro is up to 77mm and down to f/2.8... but are the tele cameras now the same on the Pro and Pro Max? The old Pro was a 52mm f/2 and the Pro Max was a 65mm f/2.2. I can't find anywhere on the Apple website that is clear about this. If the normal Pro now has a 77mm tele, that might be worth an upgrade...

Check the tech specs page. The only difference between the Pro and Pro Max is battery life and screen size now.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Ok Comboomer posted:

November 10, 2020

Hell yeah! Thanks!

Now to figure out whether I should get the Pro or Pro Max. Wondering if the extra half an inch of screen size is worth it.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

ijyt posted:

I should have waited with my broken rear end 6S, love the camera update and battery to the 13 Pro, drat.

And I dropped my 12 Pro onto brick recently and damaged the frame with small dents so Apple would probably decimate the trade-in value :negative:

Har har now watch me zoom past you with my dying 6S and upgrade to 13 pro. I have more 6S constitution than you do har har har.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I know it's the ultimate in frivolous purchases but I'm gonna trade in my 12 Pro for a 13 Pro pretty much just for 120hz. Also I do a lot of photography with my phone so the incremental camera upgrades justify it... sort of.

njsykora posted:

Apple’s trying to phase out TouchID in favour of FaceID even though very few actual people prefer face over touch.

Not me, give me FaceID any day. With a combination of being prone to clammy hands and living in a humid climate (Florida), TouchID often just doesn't work.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Hell yeah! Thanks!

Now to figure out whether I should get the Pro or Pro Max. Wondering if the extra half an inch of screen size is worth it.

The pro max is very big and quite heavy so I definitely don’t think it’s worth adding hundreds of dollars unless you MUST have a bigger screen.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I might get the Pro Max just because my iPad Air is collecting dust and I might as well just get the bigger phone anyway.

I have become accustomed to the size of the regular 12 though.

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Curious as to what folks who are disappointed by this were expecting. Phones are a mature product now. Beyond faster processor, better camera, better screen, better battery, what else is there?

Was hoping for an always on display since I don’t wear my Apple Watch too often. I figured TouchID was not likely at all but would have been a nice surprise. Overall I agree with you and I’m hoping that the days of seeing whatever new feature Ming-chi Kuo decided was absolutely going to be in the iPhone which then magically gets removed due to “production yields” are on their way out.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

In a year where I wasn't expecting much innovation, I'm glad there was nothing that was a pleasant surprise so I'll stick with the XR another year.

RC is out for iOS15 so I'll be hopping on that tonight, looking forward to the focus stuff based on what others wrote about in here. It does sound neat.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

njsykora posted:

They literally just introduced Touch ID on a new product line (iPad mini) today.

Euphoriaphone posted:

Is there some law that an Apple device can't have both FaceID and TouchID in one? Since it doesn't look like masks are going anywhere anytime soon, I'd gladly give up every other upgrade to have loving TouchID again.

Not trying to say this is the case specifically with underscreen/powerbutton TouchID, but to be honest, given how mature the phone market segment is now, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple holds back some features just for future devices.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Not me, give me FaceID any day. With a combination of being prone to clammy hands and living in a humid climate (Florida), TouchID often just doesn't work.

Huh, most of my family lives in Florida and they're all using TouchID on their SE 2020s without much issue.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Small White Dragon posted:

They literally just introduced Touch ID on a new product line (iPad mini) today.

Small niggle (:goonsay:) but they did have Touch ID in the home button on the 4th and 5th generation Minis.

https://support.apple.com/kb/SP725?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US
https://support.apple.com/kb/SP788?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

They have introduced the newer combined Top Button + Touch ID to the Mini though.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Fedule posted:

I don't really want a 13 mini but I'm terrified there won't be a 14 mini and the 13 mini only exists through obligation. Apple finally released an iPhone in the Correct Size and everybody slept on it apparently.

Nobody but Apple has the real sales numbers, and even by the unofficial ones the mini did well enough to become a recurring device, much like the 5C/SE/SE2020 thing.

If the 13 Mini doesn't do well, don't expect a refresh every cycle or even every other cycle though.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

As an XS user I was super hyped going into this to get a pro, now im not sure what to get, maybe just a watch so i can unlock my slow-rear end phone without moving my mask?

I also have an XS and see no reason to upgrade. If yours is slow, maybe check the battery health, or :pt: since it shouldn't be.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My XS still feels snappy enough, and the unlocking works fine with a mask too.

Maybe you need to download more ram!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Ok Comboomer posted:

November 10, 2020

John Z DeLorean checking in

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
No one truly knows the future but current ~rumors~ suggest the 13 mini is the last of its kind so if you want a small powerful phone now's your chance.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

MrBond posted:

No one truly knows the future but current ~rumors~ suggest the 13 mini is the last of its kind so if you want a small powerful phone now's your chance.

No the next mini iPhone is the iPhone 14 Switch Pro. :colbert:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
my iPhone 6 is rapidly approaching paperweight status. would an SE be a good replacement choice for the sort of person who cheerfully kept using the same phone for the last six years?

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Man. Apple's gotta ditch the notch next year with the tick release, right?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Euphoriaphone posted:

The last of inventory costs. Not disagreeing, just saying it’s probably to keep costs down / make more money.

njsykora posted:

This is incorrect , I’m fine with Face ID over Touch ID. Works amazingly. Yes, with a mask it isn’t as good unless you have an Apple Watch, but I thankfully have an Apple Watch.

Apple makes really good phones, so in reality land you probably need to upgrade every 3-5 years.

That said, I have upgraded every iPhone since the 4S, no reason to stop now.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 14, 2021

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Oxxidation posted:

my iPhone 6 is rapidly approaching paperweight status. would an SE be a good replacement choice for the sort of person who cheerfully kept using the same phone for the last six years?

I replaced my 6 with an SE 2020 and am very happy with it

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Prolly gonna upgrade from my 11 pro. More than anything I’m finally getting to a point where 64gb is not enough, so 128gb is gonna be next. Better battery, optical zoom and it being blue are cool bonuses I guess.

Anyone here do the upgrade program that comes with Apple Care?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

FistEnergy posted:

Man. Apple's gotta ditch the notch next year with the tick release, right?

Apple hasn't done a tick release in 6 years.

They consider the notch to be a design feature so who knows.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i would be totally cool with ditching touchid if faceid would recognize me when i wear sunglasses. i've tried adding my face with sunglasses on to faceid and it won't accept it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Protocol7 posted:

There's always a plain black phone, life is too short to not get the fun colors. :kimchi:

Ok Comboomer posted:

wtf kind of question is that

Yeah gonna get the blue - gotta wait 3 days to pre-order tho :boehner: