Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
To pivot away from whether or not foreigners are poo poo heels for wanting to visit Japan as tourists:

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Tokyo-2020-Olympics/Toyota-autonomous-bus-hits-Tokyo-Paralympian-taking-him-out-of-match posted:

The collision, which left Kitazono with bruises on his head and body, is believed to have occurred shortly after the bus moved again with the help of an operator in the vehicle, police said.

I heard about this story before but just now heard about the detail that the bus had stopped and then an operator overrode that, causing the bus to hit the Paralympian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

:( It was the morning of his gold medal match and he missed it.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

eat the 正社員
https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/00538540f4af0efdc6e19b2fe8e5b89b14923e34

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Me paying into 厚生年金: Haha gently caress yeah!!! Yes!!

Me collecting my 厚生年金: Well this loving sucks. What the gently caress.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Yeah like it's still going to be around when we're ready to collect.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Weatherman posted:

Yeah like it's still going to be around when we're ready to collect.

The Japan pension fund is the largest retirement fund in the world, with 1.7 trillion dollars under management. Where do you think it's going to go?

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Perhaps you are very optimistic about the prospects of full communism being achieved by our retirement age.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

sale on Banksy art posted:

The Japan pension fund is the largest retirement fund in the world, with 1.7 trillion dollars under management. Where do you think it's going to go?

:allears:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Perhaps you are very optimistic about the prospects of full communism being achieved by our retirement age.

whether japan is ultimately heading for full communism or fascism it's going to get there a lot faster if that fund goes away, lol

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

The world in which that fund disappears is one in which no one is thinking farther than their next meal, much less retirement.

Or alternatively, as I said, full communism.

Gabriel Grub fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Sep 13, 2021

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

harperdc posted:

Two-week quarantine is still kind of a pain in the rear end though. Rumors are it’s shortening to 10 days for vaccinated people, so hopefully it gets shorter than that before the holidays.

Genuine question because I have no clue, but isn't it basically "stay home until X date and only go out to get food and wear a mask"? Because that really does not seem like a pain in the rear end to just sit around in your apartment and watch youtube all day or whatever, poo poo that's what I do on my actual vacation days most of the time

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Yes you're right if you're a shut-in anyway it's not that onerous to be a shut-in

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

LimburgLimbo posted:

Yes you're right if you're a shut-in anyway it's not that onerous to be a shut-in

Government-mandated hikikomori

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
If you cohabitate you don't even have to go to the store.

Edit: Actually if I lived alone I would have ordered delivery every single meal tbh.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

AHH F/UGH posted:

Genuine question because I have no clue, but isn't it basically "stay home until X date and only go out to get food and wear a mask"? Because that really does not seem like a pain in the rear end to just sit around in your apartment and watch youtube all day or whatever, poo poo that's what I do on my actual vacation days most of the time

I think they don’t even want you to go out and get food in a perfect world. Transport back from the airport also can’t be public transit.

The asterisk on that all is it comes with penalty of deportation if you’re on a visa and found in breach. I’m not sure I want to find out what is and isn’t considered in breach myself.

If there was a family emergency I’d figure out what I needed to do to get back, and deal with it, but for a personal flight…I think the light is finally showing at the end of the tunnel to allow vaccinated citizens/residents back in without hassle soon. I’ll cross my fingers nothing requires flying back and bide my time.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I'm home quarantining right now and it's better than hotel quarantine but still quiet and depressing.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Also what if you don’t live in Tokyo? Like, also no domestic flights? Take a 25万 taxi back to the Inaka heck yeah. Or maybe I can use 代行 lol.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Pegnose Pete posted:

Also what if you don’t live in Tokyo? Like, also no domestic flights? Take a 25万 taxi back to the Inaka heck yeah. Or maybe I can use 代行 lol.

You would need to have someone pick you up, or get an AirBnb.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

You quarantine in Tokyo then quarantine again in your hometown because you went to Tokyo

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
I forgot that if you have a license, you can just rent a car and drive yourself home.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

You would need to have someone pick you up, or get an AirBnb.

Yeah that’s what I had heard. That would be like landing in LAX and calling someone in Portland to come get me lol.
I wanna take my toddler home to meet her grandparents but not that much.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
The toddler isn't going to remember that interaction so might as well as wait a bit until they can make actual memories.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Zettace posted:

The toddler isn't going to remember that interaction so might as well as wait a bit until they can make actual memories.

Other than wanting her to meet her great grandmother before she passes away, we are more than happy to hold tight.
Thinking maybe summer 2023! :(

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
https://twitter.com/worksofgenius/status/1437620293552377862?s=20

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
That looks like it gets hella FPS in Crysis.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
What’s the deal with there being no public bins in Japan anyway? I don’t mind holding onto my rubbish until I get back to my hotel but more than any other “culture shock” that’s the one that struck me the most from any of my trips.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Question Mark Mound posted:

What’s the deal with there being no public bins in Japan anyway? I don’t mind holding onto my rubbish until I get back to my hotel but more than any other “culture shock” that’s the one that struck me the most from any of my trips.

I believe the 1995 subway satin gas attacks play a part in that decision. Any time there’s a big event (like when US Presidents are on official visits or during the Olympics) the train station garbage cans/recycle bins that are available get closed up. Some of the coin lockers get blocked off too.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
As I understand it they released the gas on the trains (and the year before from a moving vehicle) and did not involve outdoor trash cans in any way, so it's puzzling that 25 years later trash cans are still missing. Perhaps at this point so many of the legislators have just grown up without trash cans and would not think to change it :shrug:

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Bofast posted:

As I understand it they released the gas on the trains (and the year before from a moving vehicle) and did not involve outdoor trash cans in any way, so it's puzzling that 25 years later trash cans are still missing. Perhaps at this point so many of the legislators have just grown up without trash cans and would not think to change it :shrug:

I'm sure it's a mix of factors. Public bins are a terrorism risk in a generic sense, so at the time it likely served as a way to showcase that things were 'being done' to protect the public, and also cities are often not fans of maintaining big systems of trash bins everywhere. It's costly to manage, can be unsightly, attracts pests and all sorts. Obviously they're infinitely superior to just throwing trash on the ground, but if you can accidentally convince your populace to take their litter with them permanently, I can see why there would be a reluctance to reintroduce them.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

there are usually trashcans inside stations and conbini and parks

tokyo does not sort trash strictly as the inaka :byobear: the system is planned around people slam dunking everything not-recyclable into one bin away from home

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I just throw things away at the trash cans at the convenience stores located every 25 meters along every road. :shrug:

Do you have to pay for trash bags in Japan? A lot of Korea doesn't have public trash cans because old ladies would go dump all their garbage in there instead of paying the five cents a bag for trash bags. So instead you just pile garbage next to the nearest utility pole.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Bofast posted:

I listened to Haruki Murakami's book on the gas attacks (despite his more usual weird work this was a series of interviews with survivors or their family members) with some context/details of events for context.

Basically a handful of cult believers brought packets of sarin gas wrapped in plastic bags/newspaper and left them in train cars, puncturing them with the tips of umbrellas before getting off the train. Then anyone left on the train car got to breath that in, one train station employee picked up one to dispose of it (he died IIRC), and at least one got pushed out of the train into the station (causing deaths in the station).

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

I just throw things away at the trash cans at the convenience stores located every 25 meters along every road. :shrug:

Do you have to pay for trash bags in Japan? A lot of Korea doesn't have public trash cans because old ladies would go dump all their garbage in there instead of paying the five cents a bag for trash bags. So instead you just pile garbage next to the nearest utility pole.

For being out and about, yes, drop it off at a station or convenience store. For throwing out home garbage, some towns/cities have specific garbage bags (my JET inaka town did for trash, plastic recyclables, and cans) but in Tokyo/Kanto it seems like the sorting is more important.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Tokyo had far more sophisticated recycling and trash sorting bins than anything I’d ever seen before

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
"Tokyo" doesn't have garbage sorting rules. Every ward has their own system. I find Setagaya to be comparable to or simpler than other places I've lived. Our non-burnable category is very broad as opposed to people I hear waiting for their monthly battery or aerosol can disposal day.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

every airbnb i stayed at in japan had a novella about how to sort trash translated into english, french, chinese, russian and korean with lots of pictures.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Tokyo had far more sophisticated recycling and trash sorting bins than anything I’d ever seen before

And people actually do their best to use them properly.

I like going to Starbucks and bussing my own stuff. The baristas always try to take my tray but I enjoy it. Liquid in here. Paper here. Plastic here. Food garbage here. It's great!

Also, when I was in the UK they didn't have waste bins, either.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

captkirk posted:

I listened to Haruki Murakami's book on the gas attacks (despite his more usual weird work this was a series of interviews with survivors or their family members) with some context/details of events for context.

Basically a handful of cult believers brought packets of sarin gas wrapped in plastic bags/newspaper and left them in train cars, puncturing them with the tips of umbrellas before getting off the train. Then anyone left on the train car got to breath that in, one train station employee picked up one to dispose of it (he died IIRC), and at least one got pushed out of the train into the station (causing deaths in the station).
I recommend that Murakami book, it's the best thing he's ever done by a long way.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

captkirk posted:

This report from CNAS is also very good, they interviewed several of the cultists before their executions: https://www.cnas.org/publications/reports/aum-shinrikyo-insights-into-how-terrorists-develop-biological-and-chemical-weapons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Waltzing Along posted:

Also, when I was in the UK they didn't have waste bins, either.

The UK had a known reason for it. Try searching for ' bin ' on this page.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_terrorist_incidents_in_London