Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Keito posted:

I'd use minio for this.

That was my exact thought. Minio and s3cmd

Hughlander fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Sep 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

This is maybe a stupid question, but I'm sitting on hundreds of foldered 3d printing files and want a good way to tag them with metadata for lookup etc. Is there anything prebuilt to handle this sort of thing or am I really looking at building some sort of DB?

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Sep 7, 2021

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

w00tmonger posted:

This is maybe a stupid question, but I'm sitting on hundreds of foldered 3d printing files and want a good way to tag them with metadata for lookup etc. Is there anything prebuilt to handle this sort of thing or am I really looking at building some sort of DB?

Maybe if you have a Nextcloud instance spun up you can install the https://apps.nextcloud.com/apps/files_3d addon so you can see a render of the files, drop the 3d printing files into a directory in nextcloud, given them tags using the default Nextcloud tag interface so they're searchable with those tags?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
What are the advantages of SAS hard disks that I'm missing over SATA? SAS expanders / backplanes seem to be able to talk to SATA disks just fine. I'm really skeptical that there's any difference in the drive itself when high-end drives are all available as the same drive with both a SATA / SAS interface, so why the price premium?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Twerk from Home posted:

What are the advantages of SAS hard disks that I'm missing over SATA? SAS expanders / backplanes seem to be able to talk to SATA disks just fine. I'm really skeptical that there's any difference in the drive itself when high-end drives are all available as the same drive with both a SATA / SAS interface, so why the price premium?

Speed (sas4 is 24Gb/s) and latency mostly.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Twerk from Home posted:

The drives you're referring to that are the same but with a different interface are nearline SAS drives and don't have much in the way of an internal drive difference.

quote:

SAS Nearline drives have additional advantages which are made possible by the Serial SCSI interface and enterprise electronics:
Full system interface compatibility at the protocol, physical (“phy”), and command level
Enterprise error recovery and performance optimization controls
Full data integrity protection both within the drive and at the system level with DIF support.
Source: https://www.snia.org/sites/default/education/tutorials/2007/fall/storage/WillisWhittington_Deltas_by_Design.pdf slide 24. Slides 20-23 also list more features that you get when using a SAS inferface.

Traditional SAS drives are built to different standards internally, typically achieving better MTBF and bit error rate than SATA drives.

e. You use NL-SAS when you want the size of SATA drives and also want the benefits of the SCSI command set. You don't use traditional SAS drives because SSDs are a thing now.

Actuarial Fables fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Sep 8, 2021

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

priznat posted:

Speed (sas4 is 24Gb/s), latency, being able to fan out hundreds of drives with sas expanders.

If you're using SAS expanders / backplanes, can't those talk to SATA drives as well? I know that SAS3 is 12Gb/s, but that's moot because no single hard disk will be able to saturate that. It seems like spinning 7200RPM hard disks still top out around 250MB/s at the most optimistically, or 2Gb/s. This would seem like one could run up to 6 disks per host SAS channel, so a 24bay JBOD chassis connected by a single 4-channel SFF-8087 connector would be fine.

It looks like those chassis support SATA disks as well as SAS though, unless there's something that I'm missing?

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
SATA drives are compatible with SAS expanders and backplanes, yes. For home bulk storage use, you don't use NL-SAS because you won't be able to take advantage of the feature set.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yeah I dropped the expander stuff cuz sata can use those too. There are other features like enclosure management stuff as well.

SAS will be declining along with sata as NVMe takes over - even nvme spinning drives are potentially in the pipeline.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Actuarial Fables posted:

The drives you're referring to that are the same but with a different interface are nearline SAS drives and don't have much in the way of an internal drive difference.

Source: https://www.snia.org/sites/default/education/tutorials/2007/fall/storage/WillisWhittington_Deltas_by_Design.pdf slide 24. Slides 20-23 also list more features that you get when using a SAS inferface.

Traditional SAS drives are built to different standards internally, typically achieving better MTBF and bit error rate than SATA drives.

e. You use NL-SAS when you want the size of SATA drives and also want the benefits of the SCSI command set. You don't use traditional SAS drives because SSDs are a thing now.

Hey, thanks for this. This is really helpful on understanding what's going on.

I knew that SAS speed / latency had some advantages for 15k RPM 2.5" disks, but I see zero reason to use those in a world with nVME SSDs priced like they are now. One potential killer feature of SAS drives looks like simple HA setups where you have a single big drive chassis attached to two heads via dual SAS expanders.

Thanks for educating me!

One last thought: For NL-SAS drives and the SATA drives that are identical in everything but interface, I am incredibly skeptical of any fundamental differences that would make for a lower unrecoverable error rate. I'm pretty sure that's marketing. That said, I'm not going to do anything dumb like wide RAID 5s with 16TB drives.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Sep 8, 2021

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Anyone got a go to case recommendation?

I've got a NAS with a microATX mobo, 4 standard sized HDD and 1 SSD, I can push that up to 6 HDD and may do so eventually. Currently the SSD gets really hot and its in a super cheap generic mid-tower case. I am open to using a full sized tower.

This thing sits in a basement closet out of the way, so looks and even noise level don't matter much. Just curious what people like for these in the lower price ranges.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

That Works posted:

I've got a NAS with a microATX mobo, 4 standard sized HDD and 1 SSD, I can push that up to 6 HDD and may do so eventually. Currently the SSD gets really hot and its in a super cheap generic mid-tower case. I am open to using a full sized tower.

This thing sits in a basement closet out of the way, so looks and even noise level don't matter much. Just curious what people like for these in the lower price ranges.

I use the Fractal Design Node 804 for my NAS, been very happy with it. SSDs can run pretty hot though, maybe the temperature yours is at isn't actually an issue? I'd be more concerned with the HDD temperatures

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

fletcher posted:

I use the Fractal Design Node 804 for my NAS, been very happy with it. SSDs can run pretty hot though, maybe the temperature yours is at isn't actually an issue? I'd be more concerned with the HDD temperatures

According to UnRaid my SSD gets above 45C once every other day or so, often seeing around 46-48C but once recently on a very hot day I saw it at 51C. It's never hot for very long.

The other drives have never given a temperature notification at all (run around 38C) and my uptime is >12 months at this point. The closet is in the basement and open to the rafters etc, it does not get very warm on its own and has modest ventilation. I don't think it's an issue as the rest of the system will be at normal temps when the SSD gets pretty hot.

I've never really looked into this before but does any of that sound alarming?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

It was briefly touched on, but I just wanna hype up SCSI Enclosure Services (which is also available for SAS), as it's absolutely the best thing and anyone who's even thinking about doing anything with any number of disks should absolutely try to make use of it.

Have a failing drive? On FreeBSD you can do diskinfo -v ada0 to get the physical path followed by sesutil blink /dev/enc@n3061686369656d30/type@0/slot@1/elmdesc@Slot_00/ada0, and suddenly even the least trained server monkey can spot which drive bay has a fault light that's blinking steadily.
Hopefully Allan Jude will finish the code he's working on, that makes it possible for zpool status to report the physical path, so you can skip the first step.

Another benefit of it is that it typically also gets you a bunch of data from enclosure temperature sensors, fan speeds sensors, current and voltage sensors, powersupply, and other fun things.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Sep 8, 2021

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

That Works posted:

Mine used to live in a Thermaltake Versa H21 and that worked really well, plus it's cheap (even more so since I got mine used on FB Marketplace since like you I didn't care how it looked). Admittedly my drives were in 5.25" bay hot-swap adapters that had their own fans so I can't speak to how cool the drives stay in the conventional bays, but the case itself was solid and functional and IIRC the case has mounting points for fans directly in front of the internal drive bays you can get plenty of airflow there if you want.

Now I have it in an iStarUSA D-407PL which was one of the best prices I could find for a rack-mountable chassis, it's been great and let me carry over the drive bay adapters I already had and add additional ones that the Versa didn't have space for.

Nulldevice
Jun 17, 2006
Toilet Rascal

That Works posted:

Antec P101 is another solid choice. It's a little on the heavy side. I've used two of them so far in builds and they are very easy to work on. Very much heavy duty construction. Also noise dampening built in. I can barely hear them even with eight drives in them. They also have 3x120mm fans in the front and a 140mm exhaust fan. Things stay very cool in the case.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

That Works posted:

According to UnRaid my SSD gets above 45C once every other day or so, often seeing around 46-48C but once recently on a very hot day I saw it at 51C. It's never hot for very long.

The other drives have never given a temperature notification at all (run around 38C) and my uptime is >12 months at this point. The closet is in the basement and open to the rafters etc, it does not get very warm on its own and has modest ventilation. I don't think it's an issue as the rest of the system will be at normal temps when the SSD gets pretty hot.

I've never really looked into this before but does any of that sound alarming?

Nah, those temperatures are well within normal operating tolerances. I wouldn't start to worry unless you get sustained peaks in the 60s.

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

I have some HGST/WD 10/12TB SAS drives that I've been trying to hook up to my home server, but I cannot for the life of me get the SAS controller to pick them all up. It's LSI 9211-8i/SAS2008 based, and I flashed it to IT mode (running P20, Avago 7.39.02.00). Using this direct attach cable, with SATA power cables hooked up of course. I can feel some movement (though probably less than my SATA drives), so I would assume they are spun up. Prior to flashing it to IT, I couldn't get it to recognise any of them, so I'm making progress, but for some reason, it only recognises drives on one of the cables (the SATA power plug of which is at the end of the power cable). Faulty breakout right? Well, I tried a SATA drive on one of the other cables and it works fine. I've been loving around with the values in the controller bios (max targets and spin up delay from both high to both low), to no avail. Any idea what it could be? I've tried moving the controller between PCIe slots, though I assume it's a pointless exercise as the controller BIOS always popped up anyway.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I assume you've checked that it isn't the 3v Power Disable Feature that Western Digital is trying to push for?

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

I ruled that out because I was able to run both the SATA drive and a single drive off that one cable. What I failed to mention was, that particular cable had a SATA power plug with half of the plug missing, being forced into contact by way of a tie wrap. When I swapped out the power cable, it didn't work anymore! So I just taped the receptable pins up, and voila! I have 4 working drives :downs:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Started using a git repository for my docker yaml's and boy I should have been doing this earlier. This makes rolling back my changes so much easier, and doing the editing in a proper editor like VScode or Atom with the highlights and syntax checking helps to avoid a lot of gently caress ups. Being able to fork a file when I'm trying to tweak it to add additional functionality and easily roll back to the working version or keep experimenting with the new stuff is great

I should probably figure out how to use environment files to store things like passwords in my yaml's though, because I'm sure as hell not uploading these to GitHub with those directly in the file

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Using git to accomplish something that belongs to part of the filesystem is one of the things that make me wish more people used FreeBSD, because UFS snapshotting has been a thing since version 5.0 in 2003.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Using git to accomplish something that belongs to part of the filesystem is one of the things that make me wish more people used FreeBSD, because UFS snapshotting has been a thing since version 5.0 in 2003.

Then why does FreeBSD source live in a git repository instead of UFS snapshots?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

SamDabbers posted:

Then why does FreeBSD source live in a git repository instead of UFS snapshots?
I'm not sure why you think the two are similar. VCS' were invented to help developers keep track of changes to a source tree, as indicated by the name Source Code Control System. What does that have to do with, explicitly, with config files?

If your argument is that it can be repurposed, then the same can be said for diff(1) and patch(1), but as anyone who knows their BSD history can tell you that patchsets and the problems associated with managing them is one of the reasons 386BSD died (despite the fact that BSD at CSRG used SCCS).

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I'm not sure why you think the two are similar. VCS' were invented to help developers keep track of changes to a source tree, as indicated by the name Source Code Control System. What does that have to do with, explicitly, with config files?

If your argument is that it can be repurposed, then the same can be said for diff(1) and patch(1), but as anyone who knows their BSD history can tell you that patchsets and the problems associated with managing them is one of the reasons 386BSD died (despite the fact that BSD at CSRG used SCCS).

I don't know about you, but I do find myself tweaking my docker container settings every once and a while, including updating them and reworking them into different configurations. a git allows me to easily compare diffs, fork changes for a different setup while keeping the initial previously confirmed working version intact if I want to return to it and continue work on it. ZFS would also not allow me to write commit change logs so I can see what I did with those commits and know when I need to roll back to if I want to take a look at an earlier point in the source control.

I don't know why literally every post by you in this thread is just you saying how BSD is better than linux and how ZFS is the superior file system, but not every issue can solved by ZFS.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Boy I would love to manually do "git log -p" or a git bisect with UFS snapshots, please tell us more about how us youngins are reinventing the wheel.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I like UnRaid

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Down to about 430gb free on my old linkstation and I just know there are lots of dupe pictures there. So I install dupeguru and do a scan, currently deleting 7771 photos. Thats just the ones that are 100% matches, theres a few thousand or more left to sift through yet.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

codo27 posted:

So I install dupeguru

Oh baby oh baby this seems very useful for me. Thank you!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Nam Taf posted:

Oh baby oh baby this seems very useful for me. Thank you!

There's even a dockerized version that exposes via VNC if you run headless: https://hub.docker.com/r/jlesage/dupeguru

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

In case someone wants a lighter solution that's just as powerful and might be faster, jdupes only requires GNU make.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

In case someone wants a lighter solution that's just as powerful and might be faster, jdupes only requires GNU make.

But does it run in a docker??

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Why does a duplicate picture finder need to run in a docker....?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Anyone live in Vancouver and want a free 2 bay NAS? DNS-323, no drives. It's slow as hell, but it doesn't take much power and it is tiny. Good for a simple RAID1 setup or even JBOD for stuff you don't care about.

e: It's pending pickup now

Mantle fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Sep 15, 2021

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

VostokProgram posted:

Why does a duplicate picture finder need to run in a docker....?

It's GUI-based, my server is completely headless. Easier to deploy the jlesage docker container and connect to the single-app VNC environment it provides.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

IOwnCalculus posted:

It's GUI-based, my server is completely headless. Easier to deploy the jlesage docker container and connect to the single-app VNC environment it provides.

This is my usecase for it as well.

Also, containerize everything. It's great.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

SolusLunes posted:

This is my usecase for it as well.

Also, containerize everything. It's great.

For applications like Sonarr / Radarr, I can say yes to it.

I cannot see why you need to docker a single binary/tool that does not provide a service.

Is it not the same thing as installing a full OS just for 'ls'?

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

EVIL Gibson posted:

I cannot see why you need to docker a single binary/tool that does not provide a service.

Containerization isn't really "installing a full OS", and tbh thinking of it that way's probably counterproductive (even if, in the technical sense, it's true-ish.)

It's a tool that fits my needs for the server, and docker is the easiest way to utilize it, is all. Ease of use can certainly be a significant reason to do something in a specific way.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

EVIL Gibson posted:

For a single self-contained binary, you can use a FROM scratch docker container that has no files in it other than the binary. Go docker containers that don't need CGO can end up under 10MB total.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

Twerk from Home posted:

For a single self-contained binary, you can use a FROM scratch docker container that has no files in it other than the binary. Go docker containers that don't need CGO can end up under 10MB total.

What benefit does that provide them over just running the binary directly?