Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

And the Liberal voters sure as poo poo aren't going to strategically vote for the NDP so gently caress that noise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
"Strategic voting" in Canada is always "vote for the Liberals". Every single time.

Almost uncanny how that works out, really.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
So apparently the process for medical exemptions with the Ontario vaccine passport is "have your doctor write a note, give it to the 16 year old host at a restaurant to verify, no vaccination records or official government docs required, oh and no liability or responsibility on the restaurant if it's not legit".

Homeopaths are going to do big business writing exemptions come September 22nd.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

It all makes so much sense that people are angry at JWR for having the integrity to blow the whistle on JT when you see how much slobber they can work up over Chretien, forgetting adscam ever happened.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

half cocaine posted:

It all makes so much sense that people are angry at JWR for having the integrity to blow the whistle on JT when you see how much slobber they can work up over Chretien, forgetting adscam ever happened.

lol integrity, you know she was a Federal Liberal cabinet minister right?

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

half cocaine posted:

I still have fond memories of Chrétien in spite of lying about not implementing the gst during the election in the 90’s, and the corruption. He had personality which so many lack these days.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

infernal machines posted:

"Strategic voting" in Canada is always "vote for the Liberals". Every single time.

Almost uncanny how that works out, really.

That's only because the right wing parties in Canada eventually merge into a mega Conservative party after they split the vote a few too many times.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Maybe the Greens and NDP should merge into the Radical Action Democratic Initiative Caucus Alliance Legion.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Hamelekim posted:

I still have fond memories of Chrétien in spite of lying about not implementing the gst during the election in the 90’s, and the corruption. He had personality which so many lack these days.

Yeah I really miss the good old days when politicians had charisma. Adolf Hitler for example. Poor guy has been crucified by history over his beer hall putsch.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

half cocaine posted:

Yeah I really miss the good old days when politicians had charisma. Adolf Hitler for example. Poor guy has been crucified by history over his beer hall putsch.

He wasn't any worse than any other past or present prime minister.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

half cocaine posted:

Chrétien was also minister of Indian affairs during the 60s scoop and pushed a white paper that proposed the abolition of all treaties with indigenous people in order to “assimilate” them.

People change and he gets a lot of credit for ending residential schools 25 years later, but he should probably still have his day in The Hague, at the very least to reveal how much he, PET, and others knew about the ongoing genocide.

It’s a good zinger though lol nothing wrong with admitting that. But you’d think he’d be trying to avoid the public eye in light of all that’s been unveiled over the past year.

Starks fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Sep 15, 2021

Jam Band Death Cult
Feb 29, 2008

I'm Very Glad I'm Going To Be An Earl

Hamelekim posted:

He wasn't any worse than any other past or present prime minister.

Ah, yes, mindless equivocation, a time-honoured political tradition :canada:

Starks posted:

Chrétien was also minister of Indian affairs during the 60s scoop and pushed a white paper that proposed the abolition of all treaties with indigenous people in order to “assimilate” them.

People change and he gets a lot of credit for ending residential schools 25 years later, but he should probably still have his day in The Hague, at the very least to reveal how much he, PET, and others knew about the ongoing genocide.

It’s a good zinger though lol nothing wrong with admitting that. But you’d think he’d be trying to avoid the public eye in light of all that’s been unveiled over the past year.

He also maintained the radical cuts to federal housing that Mulroney passed in his last lame-duck budget, and was responsible for the Employment Insurance Act in 1996 which cut back the accessibility of unemployment benefits.

Jam Band Death Cult fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Sep 15, 2021

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Starks posted:

I didn't know that. Thanks. I can't wait to bust this nugget out when he dies and the hagiograohies are sweatily pooped out.

ha ha yes I like pepper on my plate ha ha best pm ever

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao
Where does the term (for the Liberals? The current government?) ‘grits’ come from?

I’ve never heard that one before and could use a little trivia

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

The "Clear Grit Party" joined what became the Liberals at confederation; they fancied themselves people who were "All sand and no dirt, just clear grit"

why do i remember this and not where i put my keys

Then again it is an odd thing to say. All sand and no dirt? Sand IS dirt.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Capital Letdown posted:

Where does the term (for the Liberals? The current government?) ‘grits’ come from?

I’ve never heard that one before and could use a little trivia

Yeah the nicknames are basically obscurist ancient references.
I'm sure most people know Tory as descended from English traditionalism and further back from some bizarre historical reference in a similar manner as Whigs.
I guess Dipper is just a boring shortening of NDP. Seems apropos for the NDP to be honest.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

I have a sinking feeling we're going to see a lot of crazies getting arrested at the polls on Monday after they start smashing poo poo and refusing to mask up.

My wife used to work the Federal elections, the last one she worked, they didn't even have a supervisor at their location, let alone a security guard. She just straight up told them to gently caress off when they did the regular "It's time for another federal election, did you want to work it?" phonecall.

darkeshado
Feb 23, 2015

Blood Boils posted:

Re: strategic voting

https://thetyee.ca/Analysis/2021/08/30/Does-Strategic-Voting-Actually-Work/

I would remind that our system, for better or worse, was first designed for roving gangs of largely illiterate violent drunks

If you're strategizing, your overthinking it

gently caress strategic voting (I want the cons to lose but not by having the NDP jumping on a grenade the liberals threw at their own feet) but while that article goes into details about ways that strategic voting failed in 2008, 2011 and 2015, it doesn't do so for 2019 the election that feels the most applicable to this one. The liberals won a lot of close ridings despite the conservatives outperforming the polls in terms of votes which would suggest to me that strategic voting did work (for the liberals) in that instance, but I guess we'll see in 5 days.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Randalor posted:

My wife used to work the Federal elections, the last one she worked, they didn't even have a supervisor at their location, let alone a security guard. She just straight up told them to gently caress off when they did the regular "It's time for another federal election, did you want to work it?" phonecall.

My mom is the manager at a poll location but won’t answer questions about dominion voting systems with “actually we just give all the ballots to Trudeau and let him count them “

I’m genuinely worried about election/count day. There are a lot of lunatics who think an 80% blue riding matters in any way.

She has been told they have found Facebook pages of groups who signed up to work the polls simply to be disruptive and have already removed one guy who was trying to get everybody to debate him.

flakeloaf posted:

The "Clear Grit Party" joined what became the Liberals at confederation; they fancied themselves people who were "All sand and no dirt, just clear grit"

why do i remember this and not where i put my keys

Then again it is an odd thing to say. All sand and no dirt? Sand IS dirt.

It makes sense because when you think dirt you think nurturing and sustaining. When you think sand you think Irritating and gets into places it isn’t supposed to.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Spokesman for PPC candidates in Kingston does an AMA on Reddit. It went great!

https://www.reddit.com/r/KingstonOntario/comments/poadv7/peoples_party_of_canada_kingston_ama_starts_now/?web_redirect=true

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Wow, and that’s not even related to the PPC candidate who was revealed yesterday to have made a video game where you explicitly shoot ethnic minorities and LGBT people AND an RPG about the Columbine shooters.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Having worked the advance polls over the weekend I can say that it was a bit of a poo poo show just on account of the mask mandates getting changed every day.

We started on Friday (in Edmonton, where the municipality has made masks mandatory for all indoor public places) turning people away who refused to put a mask on, giving them an address for where they could go and cast their ballot. Later that day we were informed by Elections Canada we couldn't turn them away, we had to let them in, just don't call attention to it or make a fuss. This was mostly the same on Saturday but we only had 1 or 2 individuals out of several hundred and they didn't cause a scene. On Sunday we were informed by the operators of the building we were set up in that a face covering of some form would be required as we were operating in a Senior Living building and they did not like strangers without masks within the premises. Again, not a huge deal as there were only a couple people that were refusing, the larger issue was trying to get people to stop commenting on who people should vote for, though our CPS was good at handling those scenarios.

On Monday we were told again by our RO that we could not turn away anyone with exemption letters, and that would override what the building operators were telling us to do. We still only had 1 person attempt to raise a fuss so we lucked out but overall this was the most trying election I've worked and I'm kinda glad I'm not working on election day.

Also, whole lotta people were under the impression we were volunteers, I wonder if this is why EC is kinda understaffed this time

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

if you were already voting for this fuckin tool, that news would not change your mind

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

"Strategic" is such a lovely word anyway. Strategy is just applying resources to meet your goal, yet the phrase "strategic voting" always seems to be based on the same goal, of the Liberals beating the Conservatives. If you are voting to try to accomplish something, including, say, the NDP beating the Libs and Cons both, then that is by definition "strategic," it's just a strategy aimed at a goal different from what the general media is targeting.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

He didn’t make the Columbine RPG just the game where you shoot minorities

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

PittTheElder posted:

And the Liberal voters sure as poo poo aren't going to strategically vote for the NDP so gently caress that noise

Well, they certainly should in the ridings where the NDP are the best chance to unseat a Conservative. I have no particular love for either the Liberals or the NDP, but I do think the Liberal candidate has a better chance to defeat the conservative in my riding, so I will vote for the Liberal candidate. If I thought the NDP candidate had a better chance, I would likewise vote for them without hesitation.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

flakeloaf posted:

if you were already voting for this fuckin tool, that news would not change your mind

I thought the ppc was just facebook brainrotted boomers but it's got chan morons as well. Very diverse party.

oh lol this guy's a fuckin teacher

mila kunis fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Sep 15, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Ontario's fiscal watchdog says the province didn't spend any money from a new $2.7 billion COVID-19 response program in the first quarter.

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ontario-didn-t-spend-money-from-covid-19-response-program-in-first-quarter-watchdog-1.5586370

And where did most of that cash end up, I wonder.

StoicRomance
Jan 3, 2013

Calgary-Centre is blanketed in Farkas and Greg McLean signs, my neighbor works on the Greg campaign, and a guy who wants to use fMRI to fight COVID running for mayor is randomly putting signs on lawns without permission.

I got signs from UNA, the NDP, and the Liberals and put them all on my lawn. Now I get to watch dog walkers pause in front of my house and look momentarily angry and confused. It's fun!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I wonder how hard it is to become a PPC candidate? Is there any entrance exam? Clearly no vetting happens and I don't even think the loons know what their party platform actually is (or if there is a party platform). Perhaps the only qualification is to shout "freedom" over and over again.

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

Madkal posted:

I wonder how hard it is to become a PPC candidate? Is there any entrance exam? Clearly no vetting happens and I don't even think the loons know what their party platform actually is (or if there is a party platform). Perhaps the only qualification is to shout "freedom" over and over again.

If you can fog up a mirror and draw a swastika, you're in.

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009

Madkal posted:

I think the whole point of party is to gather the cranks together and take all the unpopular opinions. The platform is secondary to who is in the party.

The thesis is probably that the LPC, CPC, NDP, BQ, and GP can fight between themselves for the vast majority of Canadians holding relatively normal political opinions (more or less), and the PPC will have that last 10% of voters totally to themselves. Maybe not all the antivaxxers care about the racism, and the racists might not all care about vaccines either way, but neither group has any organized support from any of the other parties, so they can find a political home in the PPC. It looks like Bernier has been putting in hard work going to these fringe groups and courting them.

The party looks organized enough to sustain Bernier's livelihood more or less indefinitely. Now, will they have enough political strength to force concessions from the Conservatives, or elect a candidate?

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

My wife mixed it up with an old friend on social media who's voting PPC.

It took him 3 replies to go from I'm a principled libertarian -> actually the media is brainwashing you into thinking the PPC are racist, we're not -> there are too many non-white families around nowadays.

I had to laugh like hell.

e: He's a huge Jorp fan too SURPRISE SURPRISE

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

apatheticman posted:

The little maple leaf American companies always put near or in their logo was always hilarious. Apparently pandering works.

I thought that it served to keep the promotional materials separate, so you don't have people printing off American coupons and demanding to get five hamburgers for a dollar because the American chain is offering it. Also, where the maple leaf replaces an apostrophe (Wendy's), you have plausible deniability that it's an apostrophe when the OQLF comes knocking.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Health Services posted:

The party looks organized enough to sustain Bernier's livelihood more or less indefinitely. Now, will they have enough political strength to force concessions from the Conservatives, or elect a candidate?

Really comes down to whether there's an area that has dense enough PPC support. Polling at 8 or even 10% doesn't matter if it's spread across the country in our system.

Maybe rural SW ontario? I certainly see a lot of PPC signs driving through there.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Fwiw (close to nothing), I saw one pundit somewhere predict that Beauce, Berniers old riding in QC, will go PPC. He got 28% there last time.

Edit: Just to be clear, that pundit was predicting it would be the only riding that the PPC will win. Still, one too many.

As a side note, it's hilarious to me that the Conservatives tried their best to dogwhistle with the securing the future stuff and still lost a bunch of white supremacists to the PPC. Absolute loser party.

Starks fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Sep 15, 2021

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Manitoba is offering 3rd shots to immunocompromised people and people travelling out of province soon starting today

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

tagesschau posted:

I thought that it served to keep the promotional materials separate, so you don't have people printing off American coupons and demanding to get five hamburgers for a dollar because the American chain is offering it. Also, where the maple leaf replaces an apostrophe (Wendy's), you have plausible deniability that it's an apostrophe when the OQLF comes knocking.

Trademarks don't have to be translated.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Mask mandate returning to PEI on Friday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Gros Tarla posted:

Trademarks don't have to be translated.

The Apostrophe SS disagreed, which is how Eaton's became Eaton-great-big-fuckoff-maple-leaf

Tim Hortons just knuckled under rather than pick the fight