Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

crispix posted:

i wish the north koreans all the best too

Right? Why wouldn't you wish the general population of NK the very best and send your "good wishes for the future"?

They are not the problem here...

On September 15, 1812 Napoleon's Grande Armée made it all the way to the Kremlin. It didn't end brilliantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Red Oktober posted:

Right? Why wouldn't you wish the general population of NK the very best and send your "good wishes for the future"?

You didn't know? Crispix is big fan of Juche, and rightly so. Can't be long now until the DPRK has been around longer than the USSR was, that's what I call self-reliance.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Red Oktober posted:

They are not the problem here...

On September 15, 1812 Napoleon's Grande Armée made it all the way to the Kremlin. It didn't end brilliantly.

The general population needs all the good wishes it can get, given its leadership.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I saw this in the climate change thread and it reminded me of the recent discussion of 1-hour contracts

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Serious stuff (for realsies)

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/sep/15/cake-mentioned-10-times-more-than-climate-change-on-uk-tv-report

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

therattle posted:

The general population needs all the good wishes it can get, given its leadership.

Exactly this.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

That seems completely daft. How is it a shock that TV programs excluding news broadcasts mention cake more than climate change? Is the implication that Nigella Lawson needs to incorporate mandatory reminders that the ice caps are melting?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Hey, the Beeb knows its (pensioner) audience and what they want to see is programs about expensive houses in the countryside, antiques, baking, green fields and fluffy sheep and comedy dramas conveniently set in times and places where the existence of non-white people can be kept to a minimum. Bother them with stuff about how the ice caps are melting and the indignant letters'll be flying in.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Did they categorise mentions of Baked Alaska as cake or climate change?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Every time someone's structural chocolate collapses in Bake Off we need to cut in a segment about how this is all the fault of gwobba wobba

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Cancelled being mentioned 4x the amount as BLM would indicate that all shows where red faced old people can give their opinion should in fact, be cancelled.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

peanut- posted:

Is the implication that Nigella Lawson needs to incorporate mandatory reminders that the ice caps are melting?

yes

i mean... seriously

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Was mildly baffled that Scotch Egg scored so highly in 2020, then I remembered that idiodic debate sparked by Gove claiming a pub selling one counted as a sit down meal and therefore no need for covid restrictions.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

jaete posted:

yes

i mean... seriously

THINK YOU'LL BE ABLE TO MAKE A CHOCOLATE CLOUD CAKE AFTER THE ICECAPS HAVE MELTED, FUCKERS??????
then dust the top lightly with cocoa powder

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

therattle posted:

Are we talking NK or UK here, or both?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

His Divine Shadow posted:

There's a difference now?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Only 56% of teens think that humanity is doomed due to climate change. If we interrupt cake-making with screeching about the ice caps, we can scare even more of the population!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/suzanne_moore/status/1437661779723698176

(Only posting this for the headline and the context, you really, really don't need to click it because it's Suzanne Moore *and* the Telegraph, a match made in hell if ever there was one even before you throw transphobia into the mix)

I might be overthinking this (or maybe I'm yet again late to a conclusion everybody else came to ages ago) but seeing the words "politically homeless" suddenly made me realise why a lot of the transphobia in Labour was giving me a sense of deja vu. They're going to use the twisted TERF definition of feminism in the exact same way they used the "If you're nice to Palestinians you're calling for a new Holocaust" definition of antisemitism, aren't they?

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
I mean, I think it really is a problem that TV shows don't mention or show the impacts of climate change more often.

It's like they're showing us a vision into an alternate reality where it doesn't exist. An imaginary world based on how we believe the world should work because we've spent so long pretending it's not real, but it's extremely real and increasingly obvious in its effects.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Welcome to Tangy Train World, Terfston! :getin:

Amazed that she checked all five had true natal penes before calling them men though, you'd think that was more worthy of being thrown off a train over.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I admit that I would at least watch the pilot episode of FIVE MEN EATING CRISPS but I doubt I'd be in for a full season.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

His Divine Shadow posted:

I was talking NK but UK applies. As do most countries…

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I admit that I would at least watch the pilot episode of FIVE MEN EATING CRISPS but I doubt I'd be in for a full season.

I would love to watch a program where someone actually follows through on people's disproportionate threats of violence over minor etiquette infractions.

Like a drama where this woman does brutally murder five men and explains that the reason she did it was because they were eating crisps on a train, as if it is the most blindingly obvious case of provocation ever.

Or someone stabbing a person to death in am office because they didn't put their phone on silent.

Maybe make it into an urban paranormal series.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Allegedly going to be a reshuffle today which explains the media blitz on Patel and Gove the last few days.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

The Question IRL posted:

I would love to watch a program where someone actually follows through on people's disproportionate threats of violence over minor etiquette infractions.

Like a drama where this woman does brutally murder five men and explains that the reason she did it was because they were eating crisps on a train, as if it is the most blindingly obvious case of provocation ever.

Or someone stabbing a person to death in am office because they didn't put their phone on silent.

You might want to watch classic Michael Douglas movie 'Falling Down'...

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
2 Pints of Lager and 5 MEN EATING CRISPS

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

The Perfect Element posted:

You might want to watch classic Michael Douglas movie 'Falling Down'...

Sort of. I more had the anime series, Paranoia Agent, in mind.

The idea of taking a real world phenomenon (how social media seems to be making everyone angrier) and making it into a paranomal threat.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

The Question IRL posted:

That would genuinely be a lot of fun. A Boston Legal-style drama-comedy where a firm takes on - and somehow wins - these absurd cases of disproportionate revenge.

My boomer dad's revenge fantasy always involves a court case from the outset. Just two days ago my wife mentioned a problem she's having with one of her office's suppliers and my dad's response is

"just don't pay their bills. And when they take you to court, all that'll happen is, the judge will turn around [they always" turn around", I don't know why they're sitting backwards in the first place] and tell them to gently caress off"

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
My dad also thinks that if someone walked out in front of his car and he made no attempt at stopping, he'd get off scot free because they were asking for it. I keep telling him a jury probably wouldn't go for that but he seems convinced that his jury would be composed of 12 My Dads

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

serious gaylord posted:

Allegedly going to be a reshuffle today which explains the media blitz on Patel and Gove the last few days.

Yeah, I saw the government spokespeople Laura Kuensberg and Robert Peston announcing it earlier.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

I keep telling him a jury probably wouldn't go for that but he seems convinced that his jury would be composed of 12 My Dads
But it says "a jury of my peers". Magma Carta!

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

My dad also thinks that if someone walked out in front of his car and he made no attempt at stopping, he'd get off scot free because they were asking for it. I keep telling him a jury probably wouldn't go for that but he seems convinced that his jury would be composed of 12 My Dads

i think your dads right

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

I’m surprised he’s not spending the day doing laps of the M25 in the hope of finding an XR protest to run over

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

serious gaylord posted:

Is he really gonna sack Priti? Not sure I understand why, it’s not like all the obvious reasons related to her being a bloodthirsty fascist matter to him.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

jaete posted:

yes

i mean... seriously

What the gently caress do you want cookery programme viewers to do about climate change? At this point i've kinda resigned myself to doing what I can personally but I'm not looking at climate news everyday as it's just never ending grim destruction and suffering and that was driving me off an emotional cliff. If you want to crowdfund a mass national whiskey and revolvers distribution campaign to solve all this then I guess the internet is right here whenever you feel ready dude

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Pre-emptive "and I'm not saying this is a good thing," but it's amazing how many people think court cases are a matter of arguing right and wrong, rather than telling an authority figure which technical structure to apply.

Always interesting to see people who don't know how the law works turn into Vicki Pollard and try to 'yeah but no' their way out of things by explaining the full story of why they did something, only to have it completely ignored because the fact is, they did do that thing and were caught standing next to it holding the thing with which they did it.

I used to work for a warranty claims call centre and it was soul destroying having to go through again and again listening to callers, explaining the clause in the contract that meant we didn't have to pay, and them try to argue their way out of it with me. I was a temp being paid £9 an hour with absolutely zero authority and I needed that job to eat, what did they think I was going to do?

peanut- posted:

Is he really gonna sack Priti? Not sure I understand why, it’s not like all the obvious reasons related to her being a bloodthirsty fascist matter to him.
If anything she'll probably be promoted.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Sep 15, 2021

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

some italian cooking show did a global warming episode with jelly fish recipes and the viewers were fuming

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
They should do an episode where there's no ingredients because the crops have failed

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

peanut- posted:

Is he really gonna sack Priti?
Priti vacant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

They should do an episode where there's no ingredients because the crops have failed

A cooking show where they can only used long life/dry ingredients or tinned goods would be fun.