Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Some Guy TT posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/NarangVipin/status/1437812968423628811

im visualizing the chinese general taking this call initially thinking this is a prank and then getting excited and putting them on hold so he can invite all his friends over so they can hear it too

it's really pathetic how the US media is still riding ORANGE MAN BAD when he's a. gone and b. biden is a weirdo whose brains are leaking out his ears

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/joshjonsmith/status/1437631317949046784

this is actually a pretty apt analogy just not for any of the reasons the people making it think

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

Horizon Burning posted:

it's really pathetic how the US media is still riding ORANGE MAN BAD when he's a. gone and b. biden is a weirdo whose brains are leaking out his ears

also it's totally bizarre compared with this from last year:

quote:

The Biden team released a digital ad that ripped the president as too willing to accept Chinese government explanations in the early days of the virus. Trump “rolled over for the Chinese,” the ad says, while Biden takes a tougher line, the message delivered over footage including what appear to be Chinese security forces.

“I would be on the phone with China and making it clear: ‘We are going to need to be in your country. You have to be open. You have to be clear. We have to know what’s going on,’” Biden says in the ad.

biden is the one u need to worry about

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I am interested to see what the response in China to this story will be.

Did Woodward burn this backchannel on purpose, or did he think it'd make Milley look good?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
The new wave of Delta variant burning through Vietnam and SEA and kind of pushing all the "out of China" reshoring operations back to China is kind of the secret China economy news of the year, I didn't expect a giant real estate company melt down spilling out of China so soon and taking all the headlines.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Some Guy TT posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/joshjonsmith/status/1437631317949046784

this is actually a pretty apt analogy just not for any of the reasons the people making it think

Question, do you expect the SK president election swing back to conservative side as usual?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

technically speaking the liberal winning would be the usual outcome because despite presidents being limited to single terms so far the same political alignment wins twice in a row before a reversal

that trend and the lousy crop of right wing candidates are the only reasons to be optimistic about lee jae myeong which probably isnt the right word to use since its fairly obvious from his rhetoric that his presidency would be the same half assed disaster as moons just faster and with slightly different compromises

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

I understand now. This evergrande thing may actually be a very serious thing. Nobody knows who is holding the bag.

That's a lie. We know foreigners are going to be holding the bag. Someone in doomsday eco posted an article that was about Blackrock getting balls deep in Chinese real estate. I'm going to laugh so hard if they are Bigly exposed.

The evergrande story has been a low simmer for awhile now. I want to say back in feburary there was rumblings about some of this, but it really came to the forefront in june or July. The cpc has said they are doing everything to protect Chinese banks and finance.

I think the politiburo will let evergrande blow up because they know Chinese finance and banking will be fine and most of the risk is owned by dipshit foreign investors. Watching the bonds is hilarious because people are desperate to unload them.

blackrock going down for this would be frankly incredible because spoilers, they're one of the big forces behind the current US property bubble (IE they've been the ones buying hundreds of thousands of homes and are usually behind a couple of the shells that are in your local market offering 30k over asking in cash)

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Grapplejack posted:

blackrock going down for this would be frankly incredible because spoilers, they're one of the big forces behind the current US property bubble (IE they've been the ones buying hundreds of thousands of homes and are usually behind a couple of the shells that are in your local market offering 30k over asking in cash)
lol if the us starts war with china over loving real estate prices

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
uh all wars are fought over real estate tho?

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao

Raskolnikov38 posted:

time to learn mandarin

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Yeonmi Park owns. We all wish we could become millionaires describing our Dishonored fanfiction to credulous foreign rubes who take it to be reality.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Zedhe Khoja posted:

Yeonmi Park owns. We all wish we could become millionaires describing our Dishonored fanfiction to credulous foreign rubes who take it to be reality.

She has been pushed like crazy recently.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

some important context about universal basic income in south korea is that covid stipends are already basically doing that

the covid stipends arent well understood and have to be applied for through a social welfare bureaucracy thats also not well understood so i can guarantee that even if lee jae myung somehow managed to do it this isnt going to be the slam dunk everyones hyping

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

The burning of the rest of the world's finance bros is my personal tinfoil hat wish. Please do not take that as fact.

the funniest thing though is that the institutional capability and structure of the CPC can do that, hell, iirc the CPC Left argues that the main point of sequestration of capital is to have leverage when poo poo like that happens

not to mention that opens a juicy af nationalization prospect that can be very interesting under the new dictate of common prosperity

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

If international finance detonates while China remains largely untouched then you can be drat sure everyone is going to blame them for it, deserving or otherwise.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Jesus christ Yeonmi Park has had so much surgery

also lol this is her ex husband, managing director of a stock trading company, natch

Edit: maybe not ex but whatev

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
After reading this I am convinced China might be hosed too lol
https://twitter.com/globaltimesnews/status/1437970091224678405?s=19

quote:

As some Western media outlets and investors used Chinese property giant Evergrande's debt crisis to bash the Chinese economy, experts on Tuesday pointed out that such criticism overstates the impact of the isolated incident on China's property market and will not affect China's efforts to strengthen regulation of the housing market to prevent major financial risks and ensure sustainable development.

Following recent reporting over Evergande's liquidity crisis, as the group reportedly faces deadlines on more than $300 billion in liabilities, fails to pay overdue bills and imposes lengthy repayment delays on holders of wealth management products, some China bashers warned of bleak prospect for the Chinese economy.

Most notably, George Soros, who is despised by many around the world for creating and profiting from crises, warned that an Evergrande default "could cause a crash" within China's economy in a recent article in the Financial Times. Soros has been predicting a fall of the Chinese economy for many years, even though the world's second-largest economy continues to grow rapidly.

Cao Heping, a professor of economics at Peking University in Beijing, said that Soros, who is an investor with a political purpose, attempts to gain benefits by spreading "China economic collapse" rhetoric. "Western media and investors' tricks are doomed to fail," Cao told the Global Times on Sunday, noting that Evergrande's debt problem was isolated to a single firm.

The sprawling developer has entered into too many sectors not connected to its core business - including new energy vehicles, sports and finance - stretching the firm's liquidity to breaking point, said Li Changan, professor of the Academy of China Open Economy Studies at the University of International Business and Economics.

According to Evergrande's interim financial results, its short-term liability to be due within a year was 240 billion yuan ($37.2 billion) as of June 30, while cash and cash equivalents were only valued at 86.77 billion yuan during the same period.

The group said on Tuesday that its contract sales are expected to see "significant continuing decline" in September, thereby resulting in the continuous deterioration of cash collection and would place "tremendous pressure" on the group's cash flow and liquidity.

The company has been actively exploring options with potential investors on the sales of part of its stakes in China Evergrande New Energy Vehicle Group Ltd and Evergrande Property Services Group Ltd, as well as purchasers for its office building in Hong Kong. However, it is uncertain whether the group will be able to execute these sales, the statement continued.

Evergrande said that it has engaged financial advisers to assess its capital structure, evaluate the liquidity of the group and explore all feasible solutions to ease the current liquidity issue and reach an optimal solution for all stakeholders as soon as possible.

The new statement didn't appease investors, Evergrande shares continued to fall on Tuesday, with the group's share prices plunging nearly 12 percent, its new energy branch down 25 percent and its property services arm down about 12 percent at closing bell.

In fact, Chinese regulators have been monitoring Evergrande's debt problem and talked with the group about the state of its operations, which means that the exposure to the broader public markets can be contained, Li said.

China's central bank and the banking and securities regulators summoned Evergrande executives in mid-August to discuss the firm's present situation, urging the property developer to fully implement the central government's strategic measures aimed at maintaining the sound and sustainable development of the property market by not extending business activities, actively tackling debt and promoting stability within the property and financial markets.

Experts said that there are no systemic risks to China's property sector, largely due to the central government's years-long agenda aimed at minimizing risks in the financial and housing markets.

Amid the government's continuous measures to rein in the red-hot housing market, floorspace transactions and revenue for commercial buildings across the country dropped year-on-year for the first time so far this year in July, down 8.5 percent and 7.1 percent respectively, latest data from the National Bureau of Statistics showed.  

Experts hold an optimistic outlook for the Chinese economy. Cao said that the fall of property companies that focus on speculation will reduce the cost for the country's digital transformation and facilitate sustainable development of the Chinese economy rather than lead to a collapse.

Amid the COVID-19 pandemic, the Chinese economy has continued on a steady recovery path, even as other major economies, most notably the US economy, face renewed risks and uncertainty. Cao projected that China's GDP will likely reach 6 percent during the third and fourth quarters of the year, driving annual GDP growth rate to above 9 percent.

Mr Hootington has issued a correction as of 04:05 on Sep 15, 2021

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
her insane accounts of north korea just get more hilarious as she goes deeper down the podcast hole

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Judakel posted:

her insane accounts of north korea just get more hilarious as she goes deeper down the podcast hole

No ice cream? Then how did Kim get so FAT?????

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley

Mr Hootington posted:

Nah China will be fine because unlike the US they realize this is all imaginary bullshit and are just using capitalism as a tool to get others to finance their industrialization.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Mr Hootington posted:

why

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao
Surely THIS will cause the collapse of the PRC!

It's not?

Ahh! Well. Whatever.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Judakel posted:

It's almost becoming madlibs at this point

In North Korea we don't have...starches...and....having a pet...is punishable by death.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

HAHAHAHAHA how is debt even real hahahahaha Nanjing just walk away from the bank like just close your account.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

AnimeIsTrash posted:

On the rogan interview she was talking about when the train broke in north korea people would push it, how doctors would reuse medicine and other medical supplies in surgeries, and how there were dead bodies every and hordes of orphaned kids and animals that would eat them.

Oh also there is such thing as ice cream in north korea.

to be honest if I could leave the USA to go to like Italy and go on their TV and say "In the USA we've never heard of pigs, and we have a pool of citizens much like jury duty who get called to work as bathroom attendants in the state capitols" and the audience went ooooo ahhhhh it would extremely be my poo poo

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Antonymous posted:

to be honest if I could leave the USA to go to like Italy and go on their TV and say "In the USA we've never heard of pigs, and we have a pool of citizens much like jury duty who get called to work as bathroom attendants in the state capitols" and the audience went ooooo ahhhhh it would extremely be my poo poo

Could probably pull it off, Australians do it all the time

Also lol that China has probably the last government that's actually a government and not a pro wrestling referee for the megacorp playground

hot witch divorcee
Jan 4, 2021

is that a tower in your pants or are you just happy to see me

Mr Hootington posted:

lol how? they have a functional government. they don't want there to be a property bubble. they're explicitly trying to stop it from happening in the first place.

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
My favorite Park Yeon-mi bit was North Koreans not having a word for love. The Kims had scoured history and linguistics and purged the concept of love out of a culture like care bear villains.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

hot witch divorcee posted:

lol how? they have a functional government. they don't want there to be a property bubble. they're explicitly trying to stop it from happening in the first place.

isn't their property price control method contributing to the evergrande's financial issues? aside from evergrande doing weird verticals like a football team and electric cars

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1438036294668533761

gaming with Chinese characteristics

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

those will be largely used only for opencl and shitcoin because they don't support 3d rendering APIs

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

CaptainACAB posted:

Nah China will be fine because unlike the US they realize this is all imaginary bullshit and are just using capitalism as a tool to get others to finance their industrialization.

I mean you could argue that all social institutions from the economy to government are “imaginary bullshit”. Still, if a large firm defaults on 300 billion dollars in debt, that means the owners of the debt will lose 300 billion dollars they assumed they had. It’s not hard to see how this could ripple through the economy and cause a crisis.

Not that I think this will be the the final blow that sinks China or anything

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

I'm joking. the article made me laugh, but also gives off the leslienelsonnothingtosee.gif vibes

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

LimburgLimbo posted:

Jesus christ Yeonmi Park has had so much surgery

also lol this is her ex husband, managing director of a stock trading company, natch

Edit: maybe not ex but whatev

please stick to substantive criticisms and not personal/misogynistic commentary

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Corky Romanovsky posted:

please stick to substantive criticisms and not personal/misogynistic commentary

yes please be respectful towards this dumb lying bitch

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Park is absolutely doing a long running deadpan comedy bit and keeps finding takers

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Mirello posted:

yes please be respectful towards this dumb lying bitch

Come on now. You should be nice to the lady who's entire job is to demonize the people of North Korea. Another nation who's population the US is trying to genocide off the face of the planet.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
right, so bombing 20% of a country's population to death is 'genocide' now? tankies :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Maximo Roboto posted:

I'm trying to figure out if the scenario is the islands physically switch spots, or it's only the people in them. Different island sizes with very different population density...

I am listening to this book now. So far its just a Cuban travelogue novel. It's pretty funny the author repurposed personal travel writing into a "What If" alternate history novel. This kind of genre seem to be pretty popular in the east.