Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
I log in this morning and see over 100 new alerts in the VMware Horizon console. It's just pages of bad username\password entries like this:

Did someone fall asleep on the keyboard? Having some sort of breakdown? Kid mashing buttons? :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Hungry Computer posted:

I log in this morning and see over 100 new alerts in the VMware Horizon console. It's just pages of bad username\password entries like this:

Did someone fall asleep on the keyboard? Having some sort of breakdown? Kid mashing buttons? :iiam:

Ugh, I would wager someone has a webshell on their system and new friends. I would.... look into it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah that looks like someone's trying to fuzz usernames, but badly.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

The ones that kinda look like usernames turned out to be legit usernames being misspelled for a class that was running this morning. One of the departments creates temp rental accounts for all their students because they're saving money by using a student records system that can't sync with AD. But they still need AD accounts to access O365, Windows, or basically anything. With how the form is set up they can enter whatever they want as usernames when requesting accounts.

It's an incredibly stupid system that causes headaches for everyone involved and gives a poor user experience for those students. But since that department is one of the bigger revenue streams for the college the CIO basically lets them dictate how the system works. And this is what they came up with.

Still don't know what's up with the random character ones. I only have access to the web consoles which don't show any connection info for failed logins. And the people with access to the server don't seem to think it's worth time to investigate the logs. If I request access I'd almost certainly end up with maintenance for that server added to my already overloaded list of responsibilities so :shrug:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Make sure you have a paper trail.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

Someone finally checked the connection server logs. They were coming from thinclients in the same lab that class with the weird usernames was happening in. So yeah, could be someone who got fed up with the complicated username\password and started rage spamming nonsense. I've seen people do that in person, but never to that extent. I'm going to reflash the terminals just in case.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Ran into a classic aerial power bar setup yesterday.

One of those big black plugs on it is the UPS that's running the whole network / phone rack.

Also the load-bearing CAT6 it's wrapped around is the PRI trunk for the phone system.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Entropic posted:

One of those big black plugs on it is the UPS that's running the whole network / phone rack.

Hahaha, that's pretty good, luckily at least there's a UPS so it's not like something would immediately go down--

Entropic posted:

Also the load-bearing CAT6 it's wrapped around is the PRI trunk for the phone system.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Serious question: What can I do with old laptop batteries? Most if not all are swollen, some more than others. I've been keeping them individually boxed, and several feet apart, but it's time to get them out of my apartment. Will someone pick them up or accept them if I drop them off? I'm in Chicago if that helps.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Serious question: What can I do with old laptop batteries? Most if not all are swollen, some more than others. I've been keeping them individually boxed, and several feet apart, but it's time to get them out of my apartment. Will someone pick them up or accept them if I drop them off? I'm in Chicago if that helps.

Batteries plus store?

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Places like Home Depot and Best Buy often have battery drop-off bins also. You'll want to check their site to confirm they take swollen ones though.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Check local recycling centers to see if they accept laptop batteries.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

yeah, probably not autozone

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Isn’t that only for car batteries?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I'm not a big fan of being on-call, especially for a hospital, because the 0230 calls you get are likely to be poo poo shows.

Just received a call because in the EHR the nurse couldn't transfer newly delivered baby and mom to post-delivery units. I didn't have the tools to fix so I had to wake up another team. We were able to get everything resolved but now I'm wide-rear end awake because situations involving kiddos always brings a little extra urgency.

To top it off, I switched to cover today as a favor for a teammate. No good deeds... :mad:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
A ticket finally came in. A user has been doing his damndest to circumvent our feature addition process (which is as simple as submit ticket, we prioritise the work, then we do the work) because he doesn't want to wait. He's gone as far as contacting the business partner at our supplier who we kind of need doing other things right now. Yesterday he finally submitted a ticket. Unfortunately instead of submitting it for the changes he wants he's spat his dummy out and submitted a ticket saying our system is not fit for purpose and needs to be replaced entirely.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Sounds a bit like my kid, who has to practically be forced to sit on the can before we have dinner, then refuses to sit on it for longer than 5 seconds, comes to sit at the dinner table, and then runs to the bathroom again 5 minutes later because now he has to pee for real and it's all our fault. :v:

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Fil5000 posted:

contacting the business partner at our supplier
holy gently caress this would be an instant client termination everywhere i have ever worked

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Sywert of Thieves posted:

Sounds a bit like my kid, who has to practically be forced to sit on the can before we have dinner, then refuses to sit on it for longer than 5 seconds, comes to sit at the dinner table, and then runs to the bathroom again 5 minutes later because now he has to pee for real and it's all our fault. :v:

Yeah, I'm still relatively new here but I'm going to kick this to my boss to have a word with HIS boss. I mean I've seen unprofessional behaviour before but I genuinely stared open mouthed at the ticket. Imagine being an adult human being with a long career and thinking THIS is how you should behave.

nexxai posted:

holy gently caress this would be an instant client termination everywhere i have ever worked

The business partner was OK with it, he likes to be helpful. But ooof, no, don't do that.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Hughmoris posted:

I'm not a big fan of being on-call, especially for a hospital, because the 0230 calls you get are likely to be poo poo shows.

Just received a call because in the EHR the nurse couldn't transfer newly delivered baby and mom to post-delivery units. I didn't have the tools to fix so I had to wake up another team. We were able to get everything resolved but now I'm wide-rear end awake because situations involving kiddos always brings a little extra urgency.

To top it off, I switched to cover today as a favor for a teammate. No good deeds... :mad:

At least you get over time and shift differential for that call right...right? On call for us techs at my hospital is min 2 hour overtime charge plus shift differential depending on what time the call comes in, plus we get $250 extra a pay period just for being on call. One or two calls during our on call week adds up to some pretty nice change every so often!

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

mattfl posted:

At least you get over time and shift differential for that call right...right? On call for us techs at my hospital is min 2 hour overtime charge plus shift differential depending on what time the call comes in, plus we get $250 extra a pay period just for being on call. One or two calls during our on call week adds up to some pretty nice change every so often!

poo poo no. I'm salary (yeah I know). We can't even mention the words "comp time" without leadership throwing a fit. To add a cherry on top, just got word from leadership that any IT staff who have a nursing license (me) may get press-ganged back to the bedside due to covid surge.

Lots of decisions to make if that comes about.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Hughmoris posted:

poo poo no. I'm salary (yeah I know). We can't even mention the words "comp time" without leadership throwing a fit. To add a cherry on top, just got word from leadership that any IT staff who have a nursing license (me) may get press-ganged back to the bedside due to covid surge.

Ugh, that sucks man :(

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Hughmoris posted:

Good ol' "Other Duties As Assigned"

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Hughmoris posted:

First, gently caress uncompensated on-call, and second, unless they want to be short handed on both nurses *and* IT folks, they should rethink their direction on that last bit.
Incentivize those that are willing to do it, but require it? gently caress you, and that may not even be legal (IANAL).

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Hughmoris posted:

I don't know what the legal situation is like where you are, but getting you to do nursing duties means you aren't doing IT work at the same time, so either they accept that ahead of time, in writing, or you should consider getting yourself fired.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Fil5000 posted:

A ticket finally came in. A user has been doing his damndest to circumvent our feature addition process (which is as simple as submit ticket, we prioritise the work, then we do the work) because he doesn't want to wait. He's gone as far as contacting the business partner at our supplier who we kind of need doing other things right now. Yesterday he finally submitted a ticket. Unfortunately instead of submitting it for the changes he wants he's spat his dummy out and submitted a ticket saying our system is not fit for purpose and needs to be replaced entirely.
Sounds like a ticket begging to be closed as a business management decision rather than technical support.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
We're looking at replacing the firewall in one of our companies and the supplier recommended changing from Checkpoint to Palo-Alto. Then they quoted us €16k for it, which is a bit much. Any suggestions for decent firewalls for a fairly typical SME?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

sixth and maimed posted:

We're looking at replacing the firewall in one of our companies and the supplier recommended changing from Checkpoint to Palo-Alto. Then they quoted us €16k for it, which is a bit much. Any suggestions for decent firewalls for a fairly typical SME?

Fortigate would be a solid choice. I've managed a few locations using them and they've typically been straightforward from a management perspective.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Seconding this. We just moved to Fortigate as our supported firewall for clients and it’s been great.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Whatever you do just dont go SonicWall.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I wouldn't mind changing off of Checkpoint either. I just completed a migration to 81.10 and it's been a really lovely experience. Also the number of bullshit idiosyncrasies in day to day operations is just too drat high.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Thirding Fortigate. I'm not really a network guy but at work we're recommending Fortigate to our clients, and migrating their Cyberoam firewalls to Fortigate wherever possible.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Fortigate or Palo Alto are what I would recommend.

Most of the major vendors are around the same price point, SonicWALL might be slightly less expensive, but yeah would not recommend.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jumping on the Fortigate or Palo Alto bandwagon.

I never liked Checkpoint, for some reason that GUI gave me the impression that it was designed by UX Escher.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
From a pentesting perspective "ugh, they have a Palo Alto firewall :negative:" was one of the first things I heard when I started, and it indicated that we weren't going to have a fun time, so take that for what it's worth.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Entropic posted:

[SPAM] FW: RE: Load-Bearing CAT 6 (A groverhaus network)

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Arquinsiel posted:

From a pentesting perspective "ugh, they have a Palo Alto firewall :negative:" was one of the first things I heard when I started, and it indicated that we weren't going to have a fun time, so take that for what it's worth.

We just had an 8 hour internal dns outage because of a firmware issue in one of our older Palo Alto’s

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Arquinsiel posted:

On the opposite side of this, I've heard the red team go, ":yeshaha: Ciscos" so take that for what it's worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Entropic posted:

Older and wiser Agrikk can’t help but feel a little sad over photos like this. I mean, imagine not-caring to such a degree that power-strips hanging in air are sufficient enough effort to check the “done” box.

It takes an extra smidge of effort (and a bit of cash, which I suppose is the problem) to get a couple of proper-length cords to do this right.

E: actually, it looks like all one would need to do to get the power strip back on the floor would be to cut the zip tie holding the loop of cord leading to the last plug on the end of the strip.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 16, 2021