Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
e: well how did this happen

e2: posting an animal from my imgur folder

How are u fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Sep 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

How are u posted:

e: I don't think anybody is making excuses for Trump itt ^^^

Pretty much. I imagine that a lot of goons who despair over masks live in chud-run states where nobody ever followed the rules for more than a month or two in 2020. That sucks, but in other parts of the country people are happy to follow the rules for public health.

This is most of Texas and part of why I'm planning on leaving

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

How are u posted:

e: I don't think anybody is making excuses for Trump itt ^^^

Pretty much. I imagine that a lot of goons who despair over masks live in chud-run states where nobody ever followed the rules for more than a month or two in 2020. That sucks, but in other parts of the country people are happy to follow the rules for public health.

No doubt but maybe national policymakers should care about everyone in the nation, not just those living in arbitrary political subdivisions that happened to cast their electoral votes for the president?

I don't think the fact that some people were smart enough to ignore the reckless guidance from an administration more concerned with number-go-up than pubic health excuses the reckless guidance

E: I mean when you get down to it how is that why different from what Trump was doing when he shirked the responsibility for a coordinated national policy and was just like "whatever if you die it's your governor's fault i guess"

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I got my titers checked and am annoyed that I broke the machine and don't have a solid number other than "idk bro probably high" :argh:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Fritz the Horse posted:

The end goal of the vaccines was always to prevent disease, not transmission. It is unremarkable that vaccinated people can get mild and occasionally moderate symptoms and are still transmissible (severe disease very rarely). That was entirely expected.

My personal take is that, yes, we eased restrictions earlier than we should have though I am not an epidemiologist. That doesn't really provide any bearing on where we go from here.

I guess that sort of kicks it back to the thread OP/IK on whether this thread should be more retrospective "where we went wrong" (lol everywhere, constantly) vs. "what is the current situation, best practices, where to go from here?"

edit: a fundamental part of science vs. pseudoscience or conspiracy theories is self-correction. Good science adapts and changes in reaction to new facts and knowledge. I see a lot of people (not here necessarily, in general) insisting "well Fauci and the government change their mind all the time and they've been wrong so why should I trust them??"

Because good science reacts to our evolving understanding of the situation.

This is a general statement, I'd need to go back and review the science at the time. Just because something was a wrong idea in retrospect doesn't mean it wasn't the appropriate course of action with the facts available at the time.

At the risk of getting things all het up, my advice since last March for anybody who cared to ask or seemed in need of it was to look at countries that have actually contained this thing and do what people there are doing. Once the CDC advised against masks they were dead to me, and basically nothing has happened since to make me regret this decision. I'm sure there's lots of legitimate science and great people working there, but they don't inform the guidance the center gives. The May open'er up didn't surprise me at all but I certainly wasn't about to change my behavior considering even the stuff they were saying at that time was demonstrably false, like vaccines prevented spread.

If I had to pick a "where it went wrong" it would be that it became just a smaller part of the broader culture war that is consuming all facets of American life, but tbqh I don't think there's any way it could've been avoided considering even socks and coffee pods are partisan flashpoints now.

fake edit - I think another big thing is that it's abundantly clear that most Americans have not actually ever had a "normal" flu and definitely have never had to deal with pneumonia in any capacity

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Epic High Five posted:

At the risk of getting things all het up, my advice since last March for anybody who cared to ask or seemed in need of it was to look at countries that have actually contained this thing and do what people there are doing. Once the CDC advised against masks they were dead to me, and basically nothing has happened since to make me regret this decision. I'm sure there's lots of legitimate science and great people working there, but they don't inform the guidance the center gives. The May open'er up didn't surprise me at all but I certainly wasn't about to change my behavior considering even the stuff they were saying at that time was demonstrably false, like vaccines prevented spread.

If I had to pick a "where it went wrong" it would be that it became just a smaller part of the broader culture war that is consuming all facets of American life, but tbqh I don't think there's any way it could've been avoided considering even socks and coffee pods are partisan flashpoints now.

fake edit - I think another big thing is that it's abundantly clear that most Americans have not actually ever had a "normal" flu and definitely have never had to deal with pneumonia in any capacity

Yeah, I my partner and I both got the flu type A in March 2020 ( :gritty: ) and it was awful. I was sick as hell for like 4-5 days straight and we both ended up needing to go into urgent care to get fluids. In March. 2020.

So yeah until then I sure as hell don't think I've ever actually had "the flu" before, or the vaccines were doing their job until I got unlucky.

e: I had to go back to work for like a day after the flu incident and then the governor's mandates came down, and I pulled cord using my medical liabilities and went on UI until I was fully vaxxed and comfortable going back to work. Then the next big medical complication entered my life and now I'm here in this thread. What a ride.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Sep 15, 2021

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
So one of the big takeaways from the CA recall is that people are super OK with mask and vaccine mandates and want more strict covid controls.

CLOSE 'ER UP

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I'm not sure the recall results are that clear, given the particular Republican candidate looking to win in the recall. It's probably a good sign, but I'd be curious to see what the results would look like if it was explicitly a measure to continue with mandates and restrictions.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Professor Beetus posted:

I'm not sure the recall results are that clear, given the particular Republican candidate looking to win in the recall. It's probably a good sign, but I'd be curious to see what the results would look like if it was explicitly a measure to continue with mandates and restrictions.

I'm probably overstating it somewhat, but

https://twitter.com/kabir_here/status/1437919445083643907

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Epic High Five posted:

This is absolutely true. A ton of people get a bad cold or "stomach flu" and think they have influenza. Hell no, actual no-poo poo flu will knock you hard on your rear end for a week or more it's awful.

"It's just the flu" is dumb both because it's wrong and also the flu is bad.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Professor Beetus posted:

I'd say the more relevant argument isn't drawn from this but rather supported by it. Vaccine mandates and NPI mandates and similar have enjoyed a 20+ point over open'er up since basically it started being polled nationally. That this would reflect this in part isn't really a surprise, though you'd never know this if you aren't totally brokebrained.

Probably another confounding factor isn't necessarily that the competition was a lunatic, but rather Elder's campaign message in the last week was "it's pretty suspicious how obvious it is I'm going to lose" which...probably doesn't inspire people to hit the polls. Like when your campaign messaging is so bad that even red state Dem parties famous for being totally worthless wouldn't even dream about it, you're probably not going to have a good time

Fritz the Horse posted:

This is absolutely true. A ton of people get a bad cold or "stomach flu" and think they have influenza. Hell no, actual no-poo poo flu will knock you hard on your rear end for a week or more it's awful.

Professor Beetus posted:

Yeah, I my partner and I both got the flu type A in March 2020 ( :gritty: ) and it was awful. I was sick as hell for like 4-5 days straight and we both ended up needing to go into urgent care to get fluids. In March. 2020.

So yeah until then I sure as hell don't think I've ever actually had "the flu" before, or the vaccines were doing their job until I got unlucky.

e: I had to go back to work for like a day after the flu incident and then the governor's mandates came down, and I pulled cord using my medical liabilities and went on UI until I was fully vaxxed and comfortable going back to work. Then the next big medical complication entered my life and now I'm here in this thread. What a ride.

I had a minor flu once that wrecked me, and what I suspected was "walking pneumonia" or basically the mildest possible one and it was a nightmare. It probably wouldn't have been so bad if the reason I couldn't know for sure (food service benefits lmfao) wasn't also the reason I couldn't rest and recuperate (quarterly inventory, had to count every piece of paper and oz of food in the store).

It's easy to tell who has and hasn't seen or suffered from real flu or pneumonia by how they respond to someone blowing them off lol. Until modern medicine, pneumonia was one of the top 3 killers everywhere for like 10,000 years for a reason

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Epic High Five posted:

I'd say the more relevant argument isn't drawn from this but rather supported by it. Vaccine mandates and NPI mandates and similar have enjoyed a 20+ point over open'er up since basically it started being polled nationally. That this would reflect this in part isn't really a surprise, though you'd never know this if you aren't totally brokebrained.

Probably another confounding factor isn't necessarily that the competition was a lunatic, but rather Elder's campaign message in the last week was "it's pretty suspicious how obvious it is I'm going to lose" which...probably doesn't inspire people to hit the polls. Like when your campaign messaging is so bad that even red state Dem parties famous for being totally worthless wouldn't even dream about it, you're probably not going to have a good time

Those are solid numbers in support of continuing protective measures, it's heartening to see that more Americans (at least in CA) actually want to be safe from the ongoing global pandemic.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Fritz the Horse posted:

I’ve had the flu once and I was on the couch for three days shivering under several blankets and praying for death.

People are insanely bad about calling seasonal hay fever ‘a cold,’ and minor colds ‘the flu.’

The flu is loving awful.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

LeeMajors posted:

I’ve had the flu once and I was on the couch for three days shivering under several blankets and praying for death.

People are insanely bad about calling seasonal hay fever ‘a cold,’ and minor colds ‘the flu.’

The flu is loving awful.

Yeah the flu is death. You really can't do anything when you have it.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Thom12255 posted:

And it regularly kills perfectly healthy young people. But that is with no mitigation. Meanwhile covid has tallied like .6667 Holocausts in 18mo with significant worldwide mitigation strategies. Just the flu my loving dick.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Thom12255 posted:

Not true, when I had the flu in college I hallucinated that I'd invented a new branch of mathematics and filled a whole notebook with symbols that were, in retrospect, faux-hieroglyphic gibberish.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

VitalSigns posted:

No doubt but maybe national policymakers should care about everyone in the nation, not just those living in arbitrary political subdivisions that happened to cast their electoral votes for the president?

It’s not a matter of “not caring,” VS, it’s a matter of Biden not having dictatorial powers to make people comply with government directives. Biden has been emphatic as hell about everyone getting the vaccine, no equivocation or bad CDC guidance there, and a hundred million people still refuse.

There’s also the question of whether endorsing going maskless if vaccinated let to higher vaccination rates, which I’m doubtful of (for the same reason I doubt the mask guidance made a big difference) but was definitely part of the calculus.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mercury_Storm posted:

*Oh yeah and then there's CDC guidance that the appropriate distancing for kids was 3 feet instead of 6 feet, thus allowing kids to be jam packed into current classroom sizes and still be within the guidelines, that they put in during the Trump era and never updated, which I'm just assuming is malfeasance at this point.

Nah that happened two months into Biden’s presidency.

Fritz the Horse posted:

Sometimes it does that, but one in three influenza infections is asymptomatic.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Mellow Seas posted:

It’s not a matter of “not caring,” VS, it’s a matter of Biden not having dictatorial powers to make people comply with government directives. Biden has been emphatic as hell about everyone getting the vaccine, no equivocation or bad CDC guidance there, and a hundred million people still refuse.

There’s also the question of whether endorsing going maskless if vaccinated let to higher vaccination rates, which I’m doubtful of (for the same reason I doubt the mask guidance made a big difference) but was definitely part of the calculus.

There's a lot of stuff a sitting president can do between "talking about it sometimes" and "dictator"

The fact that he leans closely at the former and that's about it indicates he doesn't care, or doesn't care much due to his position of privilege.

This thread has gone over and over things he could do that's short of "dictator".

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Mercury_Storm posted:

*Oh yeah and then there's CDC guidance that the appropriate distancing for kids was 3 feet instead of 6 feet, thus allowing kids to be jam packed into current classroom sizes and still be within the guidelines, that they put in during the Trump era and never updated, which I'm just assuming is malfeasance at this point.

I'm at work and don't have time to dig into it deeply but iirc the reduction from 6 to 3ft distancing was based on research such as https://academic.oup.com/cid/advance-article/doi/10.1093/cid/ciab230/6167856 which found that in school settings, going from 6 to 3ft (masks mandated in both) didn't impact transmission. And

Platystemon posted:

Nah that happened two months into Biden’s presidency.

It's not necessarily malfeasance or politically-motivated decision making, the 3ft distancing is based on science to some degree.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The run on ivermectin was “based on science to some degree”.

That is to say that they both involved weak science that at most warranted “hmm that’s interesting. Get back to me with studies that don’t have these serious flaws”, not “let’s rewrite policy right now based on this preprint”.

https://twitter.com/DiseaseEcology/status/1371346026355851266

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Platystemon posted:

That is to say that they both involved weak science that at most warranted “hmm that’s interesting. Get back to me with studies that don’t have these serious flaws”, not “let’s rewrite policy right now based on this preprint”.

That was a great tweet thread to read through, and I will point out that they also say that in most places with mask mandates in place and proper ventilation it's probably safe to resume in person schooling. But that only goes so far in a country with inadequate educational funding, to say the least. So I suspect that a lot of schools that don't have mask mandates or properly ventilated classrooms are still going to open, and that's especially frustrating with child vaccines right around the corner in the US and currently in use in other places in the world.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The couple month period where Oster would write an op-ed and the next Monday it would be official CDC guidance was pretty funny, in a dark way. The reason 3' is as good as 6' is because 6' is insufficient for the conditions and time periods involved with classroom learning as conditions are in most classrooms here, something she seems to have been aware of on some level because of her attempt at a hasty retreat from The Discourse as things started opening up in early August

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

It doesn't really matter because kids aren't even getting 1' of space in most classrooms. They're hoping that covid moves in straight lines and only when students are at desks so the plastic barriers can stop it.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Platystemon posted:

Thanks, that was a good twitter thread.

My school is mandating vaccines + 3ft spacing which I'm reasonably comfortable with, personally. Mandating vaccines as in absolutely nobody (staff and students both) are allowed on campus without having fully completed a vaccine course and providing documentation.

Several of our area schools shut down yesterday because they had huge spikes in cases, but vaccination rates are low here and lol Sturgis (I'm in South Dakota)

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Jaxyon posted:

It doesn't really matter because kids aren't even getting 1' of space in most classrooms. They're hoping that covid moves in straight lines and only when students are at desks so the plastic barriers can stop it.

When I finally tried to come back to work, they had done the bare minimum of putting non-fixed standee style plexiglass screens that didn't even cover the entire frame of most cashiers and most people had to work around it to scan poo poo in people's carts anyway. Covid theater is even more infuriating than the bullshit security theater everyone has been living with at airports for the last 20 years.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Was the Spanish Flu epidemic essentially COVID or really different? I wonder how horrific the death toll would have been if COVID was pre world wars, as the Spanish Flu period killed like 20 million people? I know there was even basic mitigation for it even back then, but more than a million people dying to this now in our own period is still very terrible.

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Sep 15, 2021

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Mellow Seas posted:

He obviously has the power, he just used OSHA to mandate testing and/or vaccines in nearly every business in the country. He could have mandated masks the same way at any time.

I'm getting awfully tired of people making up nonsense about how the government is powerless when I constantly see the president doing things I've been assured were impossible when he actually wants to do it. Stop making excuses for lack of will from politicians.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Nonsense posted:

Was the Spanish Flu epidemic essentially COVID or really different? I wonder how horrific the death toll would have been if COVID was pre world wars, as the Spanish Flu period killed like 20 million people? I know there was even basic mitigation for it even back then, but more than a million people dying to this now in our own period is still very terrible.

The virus and disease were very different; Spanish flu caused a cytokine storm which means young healthy people were hit the worst by it which is the opposite of COVID and most illnesses (older people more affected).

The (lack of) societal response has a lot of parallels. We knew that masks worked in limiting spread of the Spanish Flu but there were anti-mask protests and riots in the US.

Another major difference is the speed and frequency of international travel today.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

VitalSigns posted:

Dwelling on the possibility of new variants isn't a healthy thing to do as an individual, but the idea that therefore policymakers should just assume nothing bad will ever happen and neither take those possibilities into account nor prepare for them is nuts.

Should you personally live in terror of another variant undoing all the progress we've made with vaccination, probably not. Should Biden therefore ignore the possibility and pursue policies that make new variants even more likely (by not quarantining travelers, and by shrugging and letting the virus spread uncontrollably in unvaccinated populations because 'they made their choice so they deserve it') mmm, gonna also say no he should probably not.

I think another thing to note is that we knew about the "Indian Variant" that would become known as Delta in April - well, actually, we knew about it even earlier, since as the article mentions, the first case of it was recorded in October of 2020.

By April though, people already had seen that it was spreading faster, that it was more resistant to treatments, and that it was generally worse. We even had seen that it was more easily reinfecting former covid sufferers!

When people day 'we should not have opened up in May and said people don't need masks', it's not a matter of 'Biden and the US governmental health apparatus should have expected something bad to show up' - it already had shown up. It already was spreading in the UK. It already had cases noted in the US. There was no need to 'dwell on the possibility of new variants' - the variant was already present

This is what frustrates me most. People try to underplay the issues we faced from Biden and fauci as 'there's no way they could have known. Only doomers thought that the vaccines would fail to stop spread to a variant". But they could have known. They should have known.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
So one thing that should probably be talked about with both the flu and covid. One of the biggest things with both isnt just the virus, the body will progressively fight that off typically and then you will not be infectious but still die later from another wonderful thing that diseases can do. blah blah blha we can talk more later on what occurs here

The issue that comes up is the bacterial super infection that typically comes in near the tale end of a real bad flu, or with covid. The bacterial superinfection is what is actually killing most people because it causes profound full lung pneumonia, on top of the lung tissue that's absolutely hosed by covid. That is what ends up killing patients because it just destroys what's left of the lungs, and what it doesn't damage will get scarred by scar tissue as the body attempts to repair it, leading to concrete lungs as we typically talk about it. The overlying pneumonia is what typically ends up being the cause of death in flu and covid patients, because it comes on after the initial infections and welp the body is already weak and cant fight it off. Its the biggest thing infectious disease and pulmonary docs watch for in patients, because pneumonia can progress rapidly, and patients are at increased risk of it. One of the biggest reasons for that is the tachypneic breathing that covid and the high level flu causes, where a patient breathes rapidly above 25 times a minute, this doesn't allow proper air circulation in the lungs and allows mucus and other particulates to collect. The lungs cant expel anything and everything starts to collect in the lower lobes and welp here comes the bacterial infection to feast on weakened and dead cells and welp you are properly hosed now. It basically at that points runs roughshod through everything and you rapidly progress to full organ failure from pneumonia based septic shock.

Oh and then there's pneumonia that isn't bacterial in origin, but instead because your body has dead cells and things that collect and start to necrotize in the alveoli sacs. That can kill rapidly also.

Welcome to patho 101

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Mellow Seas posted:

I go around in my highly vaccinated state and most people are still wearing masks indoors. The guidance that the CDC gave in May was bad, given that they knew Delta was coming, but the people who were wearing masks before still are, and the ones who weren't still aren't. Masks were never widely adopted in the states that are currently dealing with surges, not even in mid-2020.

Eh, this spring there were a heck of a lot more people wearing masks here in Oklahoma than there are now, even as our ICUs have been filled to capacity for weeks. Giving people permission to stop wearing masks absolutely had an impact.

Speaking of masks, Petey and other AirPop havers, how do they wear on the ears? In switching to KN95s, I've discovered that I apparently have a long face and a big nose (I never knew!), and the ear loops pull something dreadful.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Thom12255 posted:

I cannot echo this enough. I’ve had dengue fever twice and salmonella poisoning that caused me to lose 15 pounds in 2 weeks. But none of it compares to when I had swine flu in 2009. I was basically a busted tire cast into a ditch for a week, deletions, hallucinating, half conscious and unable to even do the most passive of activities. My only solace was that I only vaguely have a memory of it.

Sojourn
Mar 28, 2005

LeeMajors posted:

The flu is loving awful.

Sobbing while clutching the porcelain throne because you can’t stop dry heaving. Barely being able to leave the bed or even sit up because of the constant shivering and muscle weakness. Forcing yourself to guzzle water because you’re vomiting constantly and you know you need to stay hydrated but you can’t even keep water down for any real length of time.

I haven’t had the flu in like a decade but you don’t really forget it and once you’ve had it you no longer mistake a bad cold for it. There’s like an order of magnitude of difference between the two.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Sojourn posted:

Sobbing while clutching the porcelain throne because you can’t stop dry heaving. Barely being able to leave the bed or even sit up because of the constant shivering and muscle weakness. Forcing yourself to guzzle water because you’re vomiting constantly and you know you need to stay hydrated but you can’t even keep water down for any real length of time.

I haven’t had the flu in like a decade but you don’t really forget it and once you’ve had it you no longer mistake a bad cold for it. There’s like an order of magnitude of difference between the two.

My wife had to go to the ER in the dead of night because she just couldn't keep water down. She looked half-dead.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
That sounds like viral gastroenteritis not influenza.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
Nicki Minaj is a menace!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cn...testicles-.html

quote:

Health officials from the U.K. to Trinidad refuted rapper Nicki Minaj's "false claim" that her cousin's friend's testicles swelled after he received a Covid-19 vaccine in her home country of Trinidad.

Dr. Terrence Deyalsingh, health minister of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago, said Minaj’s tweet late Monday to her more than 22 million followers sent the ministry on a wild goose chase trying to track down the poor man she said became impotent and lost his fiance over the side effects.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There’s video of the minister’s statement and it’s great.

https://twitter.com/KevzPolitics/status/1438183898358366208

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

KittyEmpress posted:

I think another thing to note is that we knew about the "Indian Variant" that would become known as Delta in April - well, actually, we knew about it even earlier, since as the article mentions, the first case of it was recorded in October of 2020.

Yeah that too, the delta variant was known about, and the danger was discussed itt when Biden's CDC announced that vaccinated people can go back to sucking and loving in a Denny's bathroom.

There's no way to make the case they couldn't possibly have known, it was well known, a lot of people predicted that exactly this would happen, they were all blown off by those within government and without who preferred to rely on wishful thinking and unicorn farts.

Which frankly is pretty much what the US government has been doing all along, all the way back to April 2020 and Trump saying to ignore it because maybe it will just magically go away by itself on Easter weekend wouldn't that be a wonderful miracle folks.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Sep 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Fritz the Horse posted:

Whilst trying not to anger anyone. Yes the flu is bad. But its become accepted fact that if you weren't fading in and out of consciousness for a week, sweating blood and talking to ghosts of dead relatives then you didn't have flu, you had a cold....you weak bastard, get back to work.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2014/03/17/290878964/even-if-you-dont-have-symptoms-you-may-still-have-the-flu

quote:

The study tracked nearly 5,500 people across England over six flu seasons between 2006 and 2011, including the 2009 H1N1, or swine flu, pandemic. Researchers drew blood samples before and after each season from each participant to check for signs of the infection.

They then contacted each household every week to check for cough, cold, sore throat or flu-like illnesses. Those who reported these symptoms then submitted nasal swabs to test for influenza and other respiratory illnesses.

Roughly 1 in 5 unvaccinated people was infected with the flu virus each winter, the study found, but only a quarter of those people showed any symptoms of the infection. And only 17 percent of those infected were sick enough to see a doctor.
Flu Strikes Younger Adults Hard This Year
Shots - Health News
Flu Strikes Younger Adults Hard This Year

Contrary to previous reports of the H1N1 influenza causing more severe symptoms than the seasonal flu, researchers found that people who had the 2009 pandemic strain — a newer one that many people have less resistance to — actually showed milder symptoms.

It's just the flu is still a dumb argument, mainly because covid is not, but the idea that unless you were totally hosed for a week means you didn't have "actual flu" is wrong.