Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I heard some unsavory things about Malignant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mraagvpeine posted:

I heard some unsavory things about Malignant.

It's one of the dumbest movies I've seen in awhile and I mean that in the best way.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-JPhAM5ugE

Even Mike and Jay are confused by this movie.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Malignant sounds kinda dumb to me, but thats only based on the text summaries.

Grondoth posted:

How do you do an iCarly thing and not talk about the most interesting part of it

Based on one comment he made during the video (could I be forgetting something?)
He must be waiting to do another hourlong video on Dan alone.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's incredibly dumb. A text summary could never do justice to how dumb it is.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Malignant is a lot of fun. Wan knows what he's doing

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
i am usually not a horror movie person(more of horror game/book/show) but this looks like i need to watch it with a friend.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
All I heard from a friend was that there was a TERFy subtext that was probably unintentional, but is enough to dissuade me from watching it.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Did poparena leave us?

in the "no longer posts on SA" sense, yes. Still working on Nick Knacks and the Goosebumps monthly.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Mraagvpeine posted:

All I heard from a friend was that there was a TERFy subtext that was probably unintentional, but is enough to dissuade me from watching it.

Not even remotely

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What do people think of Cosmonaut Variety Hour? I like some of his takes on movies and then others I find baffling but he's a decent watch imo.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I used to watch a lot of Marcus' stuff but these days he seems to only focus on Marvel and DC superhero stuff and I'm just completely burned out and uninterested in superhero movies so I haven't clicked on any of his videos in a good while.

Honestly his riffs are way better than his commentary/analysis.

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

CelticPredator posted:

Not even remotely
It biologically grounds the other personality too much to be truly compatible with that kind of rhetoric transness being compared to possessions and the nuances of anti-trans men bigotry aside. I wouldn’t say not remotely tho.
It reads to me more like an pro-choice movie than anything else despite the irony.

Edit: eh nvm if that doesn’t save Buffalo bill then the only difference is whether or not is whether you pay attention to that sort of terf bs before watching it. A film having an vaild problematic reading doesn’t make the only possible reading of it all and it’s not really a death sentence in itself.

Rockit fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Sep 15, 2021

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Apropos of nothing. Does anyone know what Izzzyzzz's accent is?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Feliday Melody posted:

Apropos of nothing. Does anyone know what Izzzyzzz's accent is?

Kiwi if I remember right. Been awhile since I watched one.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Yeah, she's in New Zealand

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Groovelord Neato posted:

Kiwi if I remember right. Been awhile since I watched one.

That's pretty neat. I thought it was some form of regional Irish but it sounds really peculiar.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Arc Hammer posted:

What do people think of Cosmonaut Variety Hour? I like some of his takes on movies and then others I find baffling but he's a decent watch imo.

His criticism isn't particularly very deep or anything but he's a funny, likable, charismatic dude imo His vids are a solid "nice to have on in the background as I play Hitman" lol

Sydin posted:

Honestly his riffs are way better than his commentary/analysis.

Yeah, this. His Twilight vids with Vero are legendary :discourse: I rewatch those a lot

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Arc Hammer posted:

I like him a lot. You'll get his opinion delivered in a funny way and without much muss and fuss and seems pretty considered overall. Also it's fun watching him wind up MauLer because Marcus just does not care but is highly amused by the former's notion of objective reviews.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

Not even remotely

At first I was gonna say I guess if you stretched it incredibly far but no it doesn't work any way you slice it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Good pun lol

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Did poparena leave us?

We really don't need that much air wasted on Victorious and Sam & Cat. Somebody did a fascinating look at how Jeannette McCurdy was treated by Nick but I can't find their video now. All I remember is he had a slight tangent on parasocial relationships and reminded the viewer you don't know a thing about him save the content he curates to show you and is not your friend and would break your kneecaps for a nickel.

you might be talking about CJ the X's "The Neurosis of Cat Valentine" which is mostly about Ariana Grande's character, but takes an aside to talk about Jeannette McCurdy's horrifying treatment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdDA9B2qiK4

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Feliday Melody posted:

That's pretty neat. I thought it was some form of regional Irish but it sounds really peculiar.

No, it's everyone else that sounds peculiar. :colbert:

It's like that bit on Taskmaster, when everyone was giving Rose Matafeo poo poo about how she pronounces "shed" as "shid," and I'm like "how are they different?"

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

edogawa rando posted:

No, it's everyone else that sounds peculiar. :colbert:

It's like that bit on Taskmaster, when everyone was giving Rose Matafeo poo poo about how she pronounces "shed" as "shid," and I'm like "how are they different?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7msoqnz2bcY

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

https://twitter.com/tomatoanus/status/1438201650309652480

Should probably ask around before committing to a podcast with someone. Saves you from the "I do not agree with his racist views" posts.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Good on him for cutting him off tho

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I love the Internet because "tomatoanus denounces racist speed running historian" is a fun thing to say

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Queer Salutations posted:

https://twitter.com/tomatoanus/status/1438201650309652480

Should probably ask around before committing to a podcast with someone. Saves you from the "I do not agree with his racist views" posts.

tbf I don't think that poo poo is super widely known. Kotaku of all things just had an entire feature article about his findings.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Oh look, a speed running guy who isn't a racist shitbag.

You don't see that every day.

Speaking of which, new Guga content, to cleanse the palate of KKKarl Jobst's stench

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mp0zDsW55_o

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

Famethrowa posted:

tbf I don't think that poo poo is super widely known. Kotaku of all things just had an entire feature article about his findings.

The evidence against Karl comes from the same set of leaked Discord messages that sunk his friend RWhiteGoose which was a big deal in the speedrunning community at the time. If TomatoAnus wasn't a member of the community then he'd have an excuse here. But he is, so he should have known better.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I actually had a Twitter DM convo with TomatoAnus this past week on this exact subject. He admitted to being sloppy and forgetful about Jobst's associations and asked me for info to fill him in. I provided what I had and put him in contact with a victim of Karl's behavior (with permission first).

Maybe it's egotism but I'm treating this as sincere and a win.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

I actually had a Twitter DM convo with TomatoAnus this past week on this exact subject. He admitted to being sloppy and forgetful about Jobst's associations and asked me for info to fill him in. I provided what I had and put him in contact with a victim of Karl's behavior (with permission first).

That's good to hear! I like TomatoAnus' content and I'm happy to see him tackle the issue head on.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

DoctorWhat posted:

yeah I saw you spreading the receipts around on twitter. You did good friend :)

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Queer Salutations posted:

The evidence against Karl comes from the same set of leaked Discord messages that sunk his friend RWhiteGoose which was a big deal in the speedrunning community at the time. If TomatoAnus wasn't a member of the community then he'd have an excuse here. But he is, so he should have known better.
I think the problem is that Karl wasn't really well known enough at the time to draw the connection immediately and that leak was usually shared as just goose's biggest most racist posts in isolation rather than as the whole dump.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Saberspark has started a new channel to talk about video games and he's launched it with a banger of a video on the scumminess of mobile game economics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjN79aGuGoQ

It's not anything new if you've been following Jim Sterling, but it's still a little shocking when it's all put together into a 30 minute package (and is probably easier to share with less-online people than a Jim Sterling video).

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Sep 16, 2021

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
It's been funny to see people not being able to wrap their heads around MALIGNANT. I think it's a failure of marketing (I don't know how you would market it to be fair), but it's absolutely a movie that did exactly what it set out to do. This is the same guy who made the killer dummy movie, and had an Octopus playing drums in AQUAMAN so I don't know why there's talk like Wan was some very serious filmmaker. Despite the Giallo talk though, it feels like more of a homage to ropey 90s horror than anything else. It won't be for everyone, but the implication that any of the choices Wan makes are 'unintentional' doesn't really hold up.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's too long to have been intentional.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

https://twitter.com/boriskarkov/status/1438214239005679622?s=19

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

We all owe M. Night a lot of apologies then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

We all owe M. Night a lot of apologies then.

That's been obvious for years.