Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
That is weird, since there were only 3 Indiana Jones movies ever made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Nocheez posted:

That is weird, since there were only 3 Indiana Jones movies ever made.

Sure but anyone obsessive enough to run a high end Plex server surely has a little of that collector's OCD. I can't be sitting here with an incomplete set, friend.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Taima posted:

Sure but anyone obsessive enough to run a high end Plex server surely has a little of that collector's OCD. I can't be sitting here with an incomplete set, friend.
Got lost in his own museum huh?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Indeed, even with top men on the job. Such is life.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

(check the actual file's properties for date modified. It will probably be set to 4/20/2069 or similar. Find a way to edit the properties, delete from plex, re-add and scan, never actually watch it)

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

Taima posted:

Huh so this Indiana Jones movie keeps being at the very front of my "date added" sorted Plex movie library:

Any ideas why this is happening? It's also Kingdom of the Crystal Skulls which is a noted bad movie I just didn't have the heart to not include the entire 4 disc 4k set

Actually wait it's Last Crusade, well, small favors I guess.

Windows keeps track of “Date Added” and sometimes during file copy it gets set to some crazy date in the future. I once had all of Doctor Who accidentally set to the year 2100 or some poo poo. There’s plenty of freeware solutions out there to adjust the systems dates and once you’ve got that sorted it’ll fall back into place.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Taima posted:

I'm so glad the bubble burst on baseball cards when I was 10 or so, because that let me cut out that part that wants to be a completionist.

Imagine wasting space (real or virtual) on garbage...

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Thanks that seems to have worked for now at least!

Nocheez posted:

I'm so glad the bubble burst on baseball cards when I was 10 or so, because that let me cut out that part that wants to be a completionist.

Are you ok?

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Nocheez posted:

Imagine being bothered by someone else's movie collection...

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Hoarding is hoarding :shrug:

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Nocheez posted:

Hoarding is hoarding :shrug:

:hmmyes:

Very relatable topic for this thread.

I'm sure one day my father will make it through all 820,000 songs...

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Tangentially related to the topic of building a movie collection, has anyone run into a DVD that just will not work in a computer drive? I've successfully ripped my entire DVD & Blu-ray collection (400+ discs) with the exception of one movie -- an old DVD of Quiz Show. It plays fine in my DVD player but having tried it in a total of three different computer drives, it is never recognized as a valid disc. Some searching online suggested it's some kind of copy protection measure but :shrug:. It's just annoying enough to bother me since it's the one disc that I've had this problem with.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Delzuma posted:

Windows keeps track of “Date Added” and sometimes during file copy it gets set to some crazy date in the future. I once had all of Doctor Who accidentally set to the year 2100 or some poo poo. There’s plenty of freeware solutions out there to adjust the systems dates and once you’ve got that sorted it’ll fall back into place.

Could you please post a link to a tool you used? I'm not having any luck googling.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Try https://www.petges.lu/ which installs as a shell extension - right click on files to change attributes in Windows.

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

Bonzo posted:

Could you please post a link to a tool you used? I'm not having any luck googling.

I believe this is the one I’ve used in the past.

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/bulk_file_changer.html

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Plex/Synology users: any problems when upgrading from DSM 6.2 to DSM 7.0? I have DS918+ if it's important.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

I updated my DS416j to DSM 7.0 a few weeks ago with no issues that I've noted. I read that they removed support for some types of USB devices, so if you have any dongles or doodads attached, look it up first and make sure they'll still work

e: worth mentioning that I am not using my synology as a Plex server, though, only as the storage for a Plex server running on a Windows PC.

Blotto_Otter fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Sep 15, 2021

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I am having a weird issue with live TV and Plex. I am using an HD antenna on my roof which goes to an HD Homerun in my basement that is next to my Plex server.

Whenever I watch live TV, the audio chokes every two seconds or so. I noticed it fixes itself when I do this:

If I change it from 5.1 to AC3 Stereo, it stops choking every 2 seconds.

I don't think it's a genuine buffering issue because everything is hard-wired, my signal is 100%, I stream 4k Blu-ray rips fine, etc. I think it's that Plex or my receiver or something is having trouble decoding the 5.1 stream.

It's really annoying every time we change the channel to have to manually go in and switch it to AC3 Stereo. Is there a way to force Plex to do this?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
What's your client? Live TV can be fucky because MPEG2 is so old that streaming boxes until very recently didn't even bother supporting it, and sometimes the implementation is bad or weird.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

ringu0 posted:

Plex/Synology users: any problems when upgrading from DSM 6.2 to DSM 7.0? I have DS918+ if it's important.

I migrated a while back when it was still in preview and it went fine following the instructions on the board. They have since removed those so I can only assume the process has been more streamlined: https://forums.plex.tv/t/dsm-7-packaging-2-0-pms-1-24-2-4973-release-information/732838/232

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

TheScott2K posted:

What's your client? Live TV can be fucky because MPEG2 is so old that streaming boxes until very recently didn't even bother supporting it, and sometimes the implementation is bad or weird.

It's a Windows 10 machine with a 9700k CPU and 64 gigs of RAM. The HD Homerun TV app works just fine, as do a few random ones I've tried. It's Plex playing live TV that's the problem.

I figured if it was an mpeg2 issue that it would still happen when I select AC3 stereo.

Also I have a few TV show DVDs I ripped as mpeg2 and Plex plays those fine.

I really do think it's some sort of weird audio issue because I have a 7.1 receiver but am listening to everything in 2.1 stereo (long story).

I had a similar problem with Blu-Ray rips of Planet Earth where the TRUEHD 7.1 audio stream would cause Plex on my Shield TV to choke every 2 seconds, but it went away as soon as I changed it to something else.

I don't really see any audio options in Plex on my Shield TV to fix this at all.

equation groupie
Feb 7, 2004

debased and dread pilled
What can I do if Plex doesn't have the right metadata for a movie? Searching in the "Fix Match" screen doesn't have any correct option in the search results either. It thinks that "Mad Max: Fury Road" and "Mad Max: Fury Road: Black and Chrome Edition" are the same movie and there is no separate metadata for the second version.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

ringu0 posted:

There is/was a step you’d have to do with a system user to get things working, but it’s pretty well documented as part of the upgrade so it’s pretty no fuss no muss.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

equation groupie posted:

What can I do if Plex doesn't have the right metadata for a movie? Searching in the "Fix Match" screen doesn't have any correct option in the search results either. It thinks that "Mad Max: Fury Road" and "Mad Max: Fury Road: Black and Chrome Edition" are the same movie and there is no separate metadata for the second version.

Just keep it as a match and hand edit the title yourself/pick appropriate artwork.

If you have the regular version and it's marking it as a dupliate, you can 'Split' them first.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Just keep it as a match and hand edit the title yourself/pick appropriate artwork.

This is what I had to do with those movies.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
I've had my shield tv since, well, pretty much since they first came out. And generally not had any issues with things not playing or things just transcoding fine when needed.
But I noticed my server's fan working extra hard with a transcode on a particularly hot day recently. It was only at 1080, but also had the HDR icon.
So looked in to things a bit further and found some info about how plex decides what can play using a generic android compatibility list, rather than anything shield specific.

The two custom xml files that I tried didnt work for me though, so I didnt get anywhere with that. Is it something thats come up in the thread before?
Seems crazy that they've gone to the effort of configuring a server on the shield tv, but half hearted it as a player.

And if anyone has got it configured differently, does it still transcode for EAC3? Because that has always bugged me, seems unnecessary.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Does everything in your chain support whichever HDR profile the content is in? The best option is to plug anything playing HDR directly into the TV.
You're seeing insane CPU use because
a) You're transcoding HDR
b) The server is probably using Windows, which sucks rear end right now at tonemapping. It's just wholly unviable to transcode HDR content on Windows.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Oh yeah, sorry I deleted that specific HDR file, my telly is quite a few years old, and only 1080 so my library is pretty basic. 1080 H264 AAC.
But more generally, looking through tautulli now I do see some things getting transcoded that I thought the shield would direct play.
EAC3 is the most common reason for transcodes, but it always has been (audio only, video 'copies'). Can a shield specific profile fix this or is EAC3 hardware related?
Looks like anything hevc related gets transcoded, but i've not had many to test. Some subtitle types too, it seems.

Everything refused to play when I tried the supposed shield specific profiles, but the idea of it made me curious. I'll just ignore it and make do with how it's been working for several years now.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Dolby Digital Plus (EAC3) isn't supported on the shield (someone butt-in if this has changed) which means it can only pass-through. If your TV can't play it either, it will always transcode.
By and large, unless your server is incredibly diminutive, transcoding audio won't fuss it.

hevc really shouldn't be transcoding always but "in the wild" files are nominally 10bit now even if they aren't HDR, so I'd guess again the TV isn't supporting it.

equation groupie
Feb 7, 2004

debased and dread pilled

EL BROMANCE posted:

If you have the regular version and it's marking it as a dupliate, you can 'Split' them first.

Ohhh, I can edit it with a separate button, I didn't see that from the "Fix" screen.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Delzuma posted:

I'm having this issue as well, but all my files are on synology. Would the same fix work?

Looks like not. This is for a show that I've had since starting up the synology, but plex constantly thinks it has the last show added. The show ended in the 90's so nothing should be changing. I've double checked to make sure nothing has been redownloaded either.

edit2:
I looked into synology's file station and it shows the date modified to be 09/13/2020 after using AD. So it looks like that worked?. But when I did a re-analyze it still is showing as the last added show.

deong fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Sep 16, 2021

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

deong posted:

edit2:
I looked into synology's file station and it shows the date modified to be 09/13/2020 after using AD. So it looks like that worked?. But when I did a re-analyze it still is showing as the last added show.

Have you added anything since then? That attribute wouldn't be part of the file metadata, it would be in the plex db.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

The Diddler posted:

Have you added anything since then? That attribute wouldn't be part of the file metadata, it would be in the plex db.

No. It was all added at the same time. So do I need to update the plex db file?

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

deong posted:

No. It was all added at the same time. So do I need to update the plex db file?

Well, I don't know that you can edit the db. I mean, it's a db, so you *can* edit it, but I don't know how. I would plex dance few files at least so you can confirm the problem files have been fixed.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’ve had things stick to the top in a MacOS plex install, and deleting it from the library, scanning so it’s gone, then adding it again always seemed to do the trick. Maybe a different cause, though.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
For some reason I thought this was part of the Plex server (which I am using on a Windows 10 server PC) but is there any way within Plex to take live TV recordings and convert them automatically?

For example we always DVR stuff like Jeopardy, Dateline, 48 Hours, etc, but the drat files are insane; like 4GB each. Is there an easy way within Plex that after it records it to then covert it to something more sane (I'd be fine with 480p for that stuff!) and then auto-delete the gigantic files?

I figured it also would help with the fact that it sucks fast forwarding or rewinding through these recordings. It always seems to jump way too far ahead and the lips always get out of sync.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe
The plex app sent me a notification about some trash movies that are available. Rapidly starting to dislike this direction.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

unpurposed posted:

The plex app sent me a notification about some trash movies that are available. Rapidly starting to dislike this direction.

yeah I could really do without the lovely PlutoTV

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Just swiped down and spotted that. Yeah, they definitely need to make that opt in (or at worst, out. Or at double worst, Plex Pass exempt.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
Is there any reason to even have notifications from the Plex app at all?